Grange over Sands
Search the best hotels in Grange over Sands
About Grange over Sands
A small seaside town nestling alongside Morecombe Bay, Grange-over-Sands is the perfect place for a romantic weekend of respite. With rejuvenating sea air, gorgeous landscape ideal for walking and a range of small independent retaliers, it is a quaint and picturesque town best suited to city-dwellers looking to "get away from it all" and recharge. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Grange-over-Sands to find out more!
Starting life as a small and remote fishing village, it became a popular holiday destination in the Victorian era with the onset of the railway, beckoning wealthy visitors with its refreshing sea air and old-world charm. It was even once believed that Grange's salty sea air had healing properties, particularly for people plagued with advanced tuberculosis! As you stroll down the mile-long seaside promenade, you can see why the Victorians - before the onset of modern medicine - believed that the sea air had such powers.
The rolling green Cumbrian countryside surrounding the town boasts great hiking spots like Hampsfield Fell - a 222m high hill - where you can get breathtaking views of the town, sea and countryside. You will undoubtedly see lots of birds in the area: Cumbria has the benefit of many nature reserves, so bird enthusiasts will love it. For a quiet walk, consider heading to the Ornamental Gardens - the pride and joy of Grange-over-Sands - a placid lake and woodland teeming with wildlife.
The independent shops are delightful in the town, making it appear that all the trappings of 21st century life - faceless mega corporate chains dominating every high street - have yet to arrive in Grange-over-Sands. One such example is Higginson's of Grange, an award-winning butcher and pie maker, a place you should be sure to visit. For a fun day out, check out the Cartmel Racecourse and (intrepidly) place a bet on a horse! Finish your day by visiting the gorgeous gothic revivalist St. Paul's Church, a Grade II-listed building built in the 19th century.
What not to miss
- Place a bet on a horse at the Cartmel Racecourse!
- Go birdwatching in the hills above the town.
- Take a romantic, rejuvenating stroll along the seaside promenade!
- Hike up Hampsfield Fell, a 222m high hill above the town.
- Buy some locally-sourced, award-winning pie from Higginson's of Grange!
- After a heavy day of sightseeing, take some respite in St. Paul's Church.
A picturesque seaside town offering warmth and respite to the keen visitor, Grange-over-Sands is the ideal place for a romantic break. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Grange-over-Sands to find out why!
The best places to stay in Grange-over-Sands
- Bay Villa: seemingly stuck in a time warp, this stunning B&B is the perfect place to escape to. Snug and intimate, the 3 elegant suites are adorned with antiques and boast amazing sea views.
- Grange Hotel: an old-fashioned hotel decked in genteel Victorian style, offering ornate rooms decorated with antiques and heavily-draped beds. Guests can enjoy the indoor pool, fabulous restaurant, jacuzzi and pampering spa. The perfect stop for rest and respite!
For an apartment or cottage
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of cottages and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer, when the temperature ranges between 11 and 19 degrees.
- Fly to Manchester Airport and get a train to Grange-over-Sands.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Grange over Sands
Bay Villa 3 rooms from CA$186Grange over Sands (Grange-over-Sands)
A classy, discreet B&B with just three suites furnished with antiques, and with mesmerising sea views. A perfect bolthole in a genteel time warp seaside resort.Great walks - The surrounding landscape is full of fantastic walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit historic houses such as Holker Hall and Levens Hall.Birdwatching - The Lake District coastline is a haven for birdwatching.Full of character
Grange Hotel 50 rooms from CA$270Grange over Sands
One of a kind and full of character: old fashioned, genteel Victorian hotel. Ornate rooms with heavily draped beds and antique style furniture. Beautifully manicured gardens. Blissful indoor pool, jacuzzi and extensive spa. Fabulous restaurant. Wonderfully romantic.Local exploring - Set on four acres of landscaped parklands boardering the Lake District, yet within the town and convenient for exploring.Great walks - Endless walks in the fells, tarns and lakes of the National Park, plus the hotel will pack you a lunch.Sights nearby - Entertain children at the Beatrix Potter Experience, a wonderful family outing.Swimming Pool - Indoor Spa Swimming Pool