Search the best hotels in Cumbria
Edging onto Scotland, Cumbria is a county of natural grandeur, encompassing showstoppers the Lake District, the North Pennines, the Eden Valley, and some of the Yorkshire Dales. Its fells and lakeland are really something; its coastline is spectacular and includes Morecambe Bay and the Solway. Man has added to this grand canvas too, and Cumbria also boasts the western end of Hadrian’s Wall, numerous defensive castles and forts, pretty market towns, numerous National Trust properties, and some wonderfully converted country house estates — now become some of the best places to stay in Cumbria. These graceful country house hotels feature prominently on our list of recommendations, but we’ve also picked out some charming B&Bs, welcoming pubs with rooms, a few lovely, traditional hotels, and a couple of totally wonderful spa escapes.
The magical Lake District is one of Cumbria’s highlights, and some of the best places to stay in Cumbria can be found within the boundaries of this national park. Windermere and Ambleside on Lake Windermere are obvious choices, but by no means overrated, Windermere is one of the largest of the lakes, with Scafell Pike and some of the best known fells creating a dramatic backdrop. Or you could take Wordsworth’s advice and stay in Grasmere, which he called "the loveliest spot that man hath ever found”. Keswick and Penrith are both charming market towns to the north, close to Ullswater, and Grange over Sands is another charmer, though this time on Morecambe Bay.
Cumbria is all mountains and valleys, and has every peak in England over 3,000 feet, so the best places to stay in Cumbria are often recommended to walkers. But you don’t have to be a fell-walker to enjoy exploring Cumbria on foot — there are hundreds of nice trails to stroll, with something marked out for every level of fitness.
The Best Places to Stay in Cumbria
For a Special Occasion
- The Gilpin Hotel & Lake House was one of the Lake District’s first really luxurious country house hotels. The sort with a Michelin starred restaurant, and private hot tubs, rowing boats and a truly fantastic spa. The original building is Edwardian, and offers a feeling of traditional luxury, then in the 21 acres surrounding the house are contemporary, Scandi-style Garden Suites — which are ideal for families, and cool glass and wood Spa Lodges. Then there’s the six bedroom Lake House, which has its own pool, hot tubs and sauna, and a chauffeur. There are two restaurants, incredible gardens, and tame llamas and alpacas too.
- Brimstone is a bold, slate-and-glass chalet-style hotel with just 16 large spacious, contemporary suites. It’s an ultra-modern affair, strikingly constructed out of local stone and lots of glass. This is a hotel designed to indulge, with sumptuous furnishings, huge beds, roll-top baths, open fireplaces — and butlers to light them, and run your bath too. They will also organise walks and wet weather gear to match, and drive you to and from the restaurant of Brimstone’s sister hotel, The Langdale.
- The Lodore Falls Hotel is an impressive, Victorian country house on the water at picturesque Borrowdale, with a gorgeous mountain backdrop, and 71 charming rooms and suites. Rooms in the main hotel are traditionally dressed, with lake-views, while the newer, separate suites have a Scandinavian feel to their contemporary style, lots of space and decked balconies — if you stay in the suites you also get complimentary access to the spa. There are two restaurants onsite, and there's a salon for afternoon tea. It’s all set on 40 acres of picturesque Lake District countryside. Think long walks followed by open fires and serious pampering!
For a Country House Escape
- Converted from an Edwardian country house positioned on a hilltop overlooking Lake Windermere and the Fells, Linthwaite House Hotel offers the whole Lake District luxury package. The restaurant is award winning, the art collection will constantly impress, and every comfort has been considered, for your kids and your dog too. Six Lake Suites were recently added, and these sit just up the hill from the main house, offering great views, and a huge amount of space and log fires; but for something really special, book the lake-view suite with private hot tub or one of the two Fell suites which also have their own outdoor tub!
- The Ryebeck is a country house hotel converted from a substantial Edwardian manor house, overlooking Windermere — it's only five miles from Bowness-on-Windermere, but sufficiently far from the crowds to make it feel like a proper country escape. The atmosphere is warm, with fuss-free decor in the 24 rooms and suites; the communal areas are the same, with simple, comfortable details and fantastic views. The restaurant occupies the dining rooms and conservatory, and its modern British fare is well practised.
- Rothay Manor is an elegant country house hotel, surrounded by lush, established gardens on the outskirts of Ambleside. With 19 rooms and suites, this is a good-sized hotel for peace and quiet, in a fantastic spot for walkers. Spacious and well-lit rooms are decorated with riffs on the country house luxury theme, think neutral and pastel colours, velvet throws and a pleasing amount of silver and gold. We recommend you opt for a balcony room. The modern British restaurant is well regarded, and the breakfast is far from ordinary. It all feels like a very nice treat.
For the Lake District Experience
- The Samling Hotel offers the whole luxury Lake District package, including views of headliner Lake Windermere, acres of gardens and fancy afternoon teas. There are just 11 light, airy rooms and suites in this converted Georgian Gothic Revival manor house; they’re decorated with variations on the theme of contemporary luxury in pastels and the largest are in private cottages. The restaurant is memorable for all the right reasons — including the view — and the activities and facilities on site are excellent.
For the Views
- Holbeck Ghyll is one of the Lake District’s original country house hotels, a beautifully converted Arts and Crafts hunting lodge with stunning views over Lake Windermere. In addition to the essentials, Holbeck Ghyll has croquet lawns, tennis courts, proper afternoon teas and multi-course evening meals. The decor complements the original William Morris details, except in the converted cottages and more recently built lodges, where you can expect something more contemporary — and private hot tubs.
- Georgian built, the white, low-rise mansion of Storrs Hall in Bowness-on-Windermere has now been converted into an elegant, 30 room hotel. The panoramic views of Windermere are still one of the Hall’s best features, along with the lawns that run all the way down to the water’s edge. We like the bar, which is in a tower overlooking the water, and serves friendly pub-style food, but there’s also a fine-dining restaurant. Accommodation in the main house is country house style, but they also have a collection of separate chalet suites by the water.
- Hillthwaite is a chic, contemporary conversion in a quiet, hilltop spot between Windermere Town and Bowness-on-Windermere. The views from the terrace of the hotel are the first reason to be impressed, it’s not only the lake you can see, but the Fells too, and miles and miles of Cumbrian countryside. You’re close to the lake and the town, but far enough away to feel like you’re escaping. Inside, Hillthwaite offers 34 rooms and suites, plus a pool, sauna and steam room to help add to the feeling of relaxation and escape. Not all of the rooms and suites share the incredible views, but you can still take advantage of them in the restaurant, the gardens, and on the terrace. The hotel’s friendly staff are another of our favourite features.
- Howe Keld is well positioned between the market town of Keswick and Derwentwater, with wonderful views of the hills and fells surrounding the whole area. The property has been converted from a row of residential homes, and inside it now offers 12 spacious and light rooms and suites. The designer has plumped for bright, cheerfully coloured feature walls in many of the rooms, but has otherwise stuck to simple wooden furnishing and plenty of white. The couple who own the hotel are keen outdoors folk, and have lots of great recommendations and advice. The Swiss husband is a chef by training, and offers up a fantastic breakfast and the best coffee in town.
- Lindeth Fell is a luxurious, Edwardian B&B set above Lake Windermere. Everything about this property says country house hotel, from the plush, traditional decor, the welcoming sitting room, the sweeping grounds, to the stylish rooms with their fancy bathrooms, robes, sherry decanters, and coffee machines. There’s an elegant dining room where grand breakfasts and afternoon teas are served, and you can also order a handsome supper plate, but there’s not a formal restaurant — which is why ‘B&B’.
For a View of the Coast
- Bay Villa is a beautifully converted late-Georgian terrace in Grange-over-Sands, with just three elegant, and huge, rooms. Intimate and impressive — with four-poster beds, grand fireplaces and wonderful views of the coastline — this is a romantic choice. Aside from the hallway there is no communal space, but there is plenty of space for a decadent breakfast to be served in your room. One room is wood panelled, and another has a roll-top bath in the bay window overlooking the bay.
For Old Fashioned Charm
- The Grange Hotel is a genteel old hotel in Grange-over-Sands, built in the local silvery Lake District stone in 1866 in a Victorian Italianate style. The overall impression, inside and out, is of old fashioned luxury — think good quality antiques, extra draped designs on the curtains and beds, and plush soft furnishings. There are 50 rooms and suites in all, and there are the contemporary facilities to match, including an indoor pool, hot tub, beauty salon, and a gym, as well as the bar and excellent restaurant. The welcome is warm and the view reviving.
- The Haweswater Hotel is an Art Deco style building put up in 1937, when the reservoir it sits beside was created. It’s perfectly designed for its location, with lots of large windows overlooking the water. Many of the building’s original features survive today, and the current owners have sourced period pieces to match — including original travel posters and a 1930s soundtrack. It has just 17 rooms and suites, plus comfortable communal rooms and a brasserie restaurant.
Great Pubs with Rooms
- The Wild Boar is a traditional coaching inn on the eastern edge of the Lake District National Park, just above Bowness-on-Windermere. The atmosphere is cosy and welcoming, with low, beamed ceilings, open fireplaces and comfortably worn-in leather furniture. The pub serves excellent pub fare, and they specialise in smoking things (they have their own smokehouse) and brewing things (they have their own micro-brewery too). Some of the 34 rooms and suites are suitable for families.
- In a plum spot in the heart of friendly Keswick, The Royal Oak is a former Georgian mail inn and magistrate’s court, turned cosy pub-with-rooms. The pub is still the heart of The Royal Oak, but it’s been seriously brought up to date, and is now more of a smart gastro pub, with spacious, low-ceilinged dining rooms, and large open fireplaces. It’s owned by Thwaites, so this is a good opportunity to sample the Lancashire brewer’s ales. The 18 guest rooms are on the cosy side, but are well arranged to make use of the space, and decorated with country house hotel style.
- The Langdale Hotel & Spa is a collection of low-lying, traditional slate buildings, set in a forested estate — it used to be a gunpowder factory for the local mining industry. This has allowed for a far more contemporary creation, with lots of glass and local stone, and plenty of scope for a range of room sizes and shapes, and a seriously state-of-the-art spa. Amongst the 50 rooms and suites are some super romantic options, with in-room slipper baths, plush furnishings, and private balconies. The spa is good enough to be mentioned in the name, and has a large indoor pool, a thermal spa and a long treatment menu. The restaurant is bright and contemporary too.
- The Windermere Boutique Hotel is an Edwardian house, turned 13 room hotel. Each of the rooms has been individually designed and decorated, in a colourful country house style. Some of the rooms have private hot tubs, or four-poster beds if you’re looking for a romantic pick.
- Victorian on the outside, but colourfully contemporary on the inside, Windermere’s Cedar Manor is the sort of small country house hotel where you get a feeling of being the guest at a house party, almost as much as being a paying guest. There are ten rooms and suites, all spacious, with decent sized bathrooms and bespoke furnishings. Some of the rooms, including the entirely separate Coach House, have a private hot tub. Plus there’s a cosy lounge and a fine-dining restaurant.
- Applegarth Villa is an adults-only boutique bolthole, converted from a charming Victorian mansion. Applegarth has 15 rooms and seven suites, all confidently, and uniquely, decorated, with design pieces, contemporary art and comfort in mind — the suites all have their own outdoor hot tub, plus extra living space. The restaurant is relaxed, and there’s a cool cocktail bar with a huge collection of whiskies.
- Windermere’s Lindeth Howe is a charming, Victorian mansion once owned by Beatrix Potter. Today the house has been polished up to contemporary standards, with simple decor in the 34 rooms and suites — which come in a useful range of sizes, from doubles and triples to family rooms and suites — and a busier, cosier, and more colourful contemporary take in the bar, dining room and lounge. We like the cosier attic rooms, and the fantastic views in the garden and lake-view rooms. Outside are beautiful gardens which roll down to the lake, which is just a pleasant stroll away. Dinner is a smart, two-AA rosette affair where dressing up is encouraged.
- Built in the 17th century, but still cosily charming today, the Masons Arms is a typical Lakeland inn, overlooking the quiet Winster Valley, with an excellent restaurant, and rooms above. It also has a collection of cottages just behind, which have been converted into very comfortable family accommodation — sleeping up to six. The cottages all have self-catering facilities, and private terraces.
- Converted from a rather elegant Victorian villa, The Windermere Suites is now a chic, eight suite B&B positioned between Windermere and Bowness. There’s a monochrome design aesthetic, which runs to charcoal walls and black sofas in some rooms, and shimmery wallpaper in others. Guests can also expect glass tables and white or silver-painted furniture. The overall effect is definitely seductive, especially when you add the in-room breakfasts.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Cottage?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Cumbria is easily reached by road or rail. Depending on where you’re heading to precisely you can get all the way from London by train in about three and a half hours, and it’s about the same from Edinburgh. And if you’re planning to fly right in, the most convenient international airports will probably be Manchester Airport, Liverpool Airport or Newcastle International Airport.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Unsurprisingly, Cumbria is warmest and driest in the spring and summer, from about March through until September, but it’s very easy to argue that it's beautiful in all seasons — Wordsworth definitely did... There’s enough indoor activity to hold off boredom on wetter days — take a cruise on one of the lakes in the Lake District, visit the local National Trust properties, or one of Cumbria’s many museums or galleries, or just walk in the rain. The autumn colours have a wonderful reputation, it’s almost as lauded as spring, but the key thing is to pack wet weather gear for the right weight of whatever time you’re travelling.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could refine you search to just our recommendations for the best hotels in the Lake District
- Refine by the kind of hotels you’re looking for and consider just the best pubs with rooms in Cumbria, the best country house hotels in the Lake District, the best spa hotels or the best family hotels in the Lake District
- Or you could refine your search by town, and opt for the best places to stay in Grasmere, Ambleside? Windermere, Keswick, Carlisle or Grange over Sands
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Cumbria
Best Hotels in Cumbria
Victorian House Hotel Grasmere 20 rooms from CA$233Active Holiday - Grasmere is a place to come and be outdoors in the Lake District whether you want to do that by foot, cycle, or on the lakesFamilies - With family suites, a large garden, a laid back feel, and plenty of local activities — this is ideal for a family breakGreat walks - A good network of walking trails starting from near the property whether you want an amble or something longerRestaurant - A small menu of small plates and sharing boards are offered all day
A chic conversion of a Victorian house in ever-popular Grasmere. Rooms are compact but stylish with a mix of modern art, velvet headboards, and a blend of antique and vintage furniture. Small plates and sharing boards are on offer, more substantial food in town. Pets and kids are made very welcome. See More
Langdale Hotel & Spa Ambleside, Cumbria 50 rooms from CA$261Spa breaks - The Brimstone Spa is a stunning indoor/outdoor space exclusively for adults, with numerous pools, saunas and treatments.Families - Langdale welcomes families and has great on site facilities including playground, tennis court, and swimming pool.Total relaxation - Kick back and relax with comfy suites, great food, hearty ales, heated indoor pool, sauna, and spa therapies.Back to Nature - Step away from the hustle bustle of a city and enjoy nature at its best with 35 acres of stunning grounds.
With a series of low-lying, traditional-slate buildings dotted around a forested estate, this hotel feels a world away from the Lake District’s tourist honeypots. Tucked in the Langdale Valley, it’s close to some great walking yet both Ambleside and Coniston are within a 15-minute drive. See More
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere 31 rooms from CA$363Exclusive offer - Complimentary dinner at GlöðFoodies - Chef Hrishikesh Desai knocks it out of the park everytime, he crafts exciting menus using locally sourced wonderful ingrediants.Romantic Break - Six of the incredible suites come with their own private gardens and cedarwood hot tubs, ideal for a romantic getaway!Country Escape - 20-acre gardens filled with magnolia, cherry blossoms and copper beech, not to mention the stunnig private lake.Fishing - Fishing can be organised on site, either on the private lake or a day trip to somewhere nearby.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays
A luxurious and relaxing modern country-house hotel with a choice of traditional or cutting-edge rooms, many with hot-tubs. Michelin-starred dining, woodland spa plus flawless service. Set in 40 acres of stunning surroundings with a picturesque lake and lots of activities to offer nearby. See More
Brimstone Cumbria 16 rooms from CA$590Back to Nature - The Lake District provides the ideal playground for outdoor enthusiasts.Spa breaks - Unwind in the state of the art spa.Great walks - Find plenty of nearby fells including Langdale Pikes, Coniston Old Man and Wetherlam.Sailing - Take a relaxing cruise on Lake Windermere.
Bold slate-and-glass chalet-style hotel with modern suites, and modern-style butlers, designed for indulgence. Brimstone is set amongst fine walking country in Cumbria and with a swish on-site spa, you can be as lazy or active as you like. See More
Lowthwaite B&B Penrith, Cumbria 4 rooms from CA$135Sights nearby - Take a trip to local sights such as Askham Hall and Brougham Castle.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is perfect for walking.Full of characterRemote - Off the beaten track.
Set in a charming house near Ullswater, Lowthwaite B&B is perfect for people who want to escape back to nature. Nestled amidst beautiful gardens, the guesthouse offers excellent rooms and delicious breakfasts. See More
The Masons Arms Bowland Bridge, Cumbria 7 rooms from CA$143Families - With lovely cottages that sleep up to six people, it's a great option for a family holiday.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Sights nearby - Take a trip to the wonderful nearby Holker Hall & Gardens.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
Awash with traditional charm, The Masons Arms is a delightful hotel in the Lake District. Featuring excellent food in the restaurant, a wide range of ales and comfortable rooms. The pub's cottages, that sleep up to six, make it a great option for families or groups. See More
The Hare and Hounds Kendal, Cumbria 5 rooms from CA$143Country Escape - As traditional and rustic as an inn could be! Set in Cumbria's stunning landscapeLocal exploring - Just 4 miles from Kendal, this is an ideal base for exploring the Lake DistrictActive Holiday - Everything the Lake District has to offer is on the doorstep.Fishing - The rivers have brown trout, sea trout and salmon while the lakes offer coarse fishing.
Historic and homely 16th-century country inn. Rooms are individually designed with lots of character. Beds are king-size and very comfortable. The restaurant serves pub grub and the bar has a cozy fireplace and atmosphere. A wide range of cask ales on offer makes this an unforgettable Cumbrian inn. See More
The Plough Cumbria 6 rooms from CA$143Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the historic Levens Hall and Fairy Steps, both just a short distance awayGreat walks - The Plough is surrounded by numerous stunning hiking trailsBack to Nature - Get out and about exploring all over the Lake DistrictRestaurant - Recommended.
Popular gastro pub with a bold yet comfortable contemporary-country style and large, inviting bedrooms. Well-placed for exploring both the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales. See More
Haweswater Hotel Penrith, Cumbria 17 rooms from CA$150Back to Nature - In a remote location overlooking Haweswater, it's perfect for a retreat to nature.Sights nearby - The Lake District is full of beautiful houses such as Askham Hall and Rydal Mount & Gardens.Great walks - Go for lovely walks around Haweswater.Remote - Off the beaten track.
With a stunning location and superb service, the Haweswater Hotel is a wonderful retreat for those who are looking to escape to a quiet corner of the Lake District. Excellent, comfortable rooms, stunning views and a brasserie restaurant, all combine to create a rural gem. See More
The King's Head, Cumbria Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria 6 rooms from CA$152Local exploring - A great base from which to explore the beautiful Lake District surroundings.Great walks - The fells and footpaths that surround Ravenstonedale are a paradise for walkers.Fishing - Take a day of wild brown trout fishing on the River Eden.Sights nearby - Visit the historic nearby market town of Kirby Stephen.
Sitting in the charming village of Ravenstonedale, The King's Head has a history that dates back five centuries. It exudes a homely feel with its cosy pub, excellent restaurant and lovely rooms. A great base from which to explore the beautiful Lake District surroundings. See More
Broadgate House Millom, Cumbria 3 rooms from CA$160Great walks - The surrounding gardens and countryside are perfect for romantic strolls.Sights nearby - Take a trip to day trip Holker Hall or Muncaster Castle.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Set in a glorious Georgian house and surrounded by vast natural beauty, Broadgate is a Cumbrian gem. The charming rooms give off a tangible sense of the history of the place. It's easy to see why Wordsworth took so much inspiration from the surrounding landscape that looks out over Duddon Estuary. See More
Crake Trees Manor Cumbria 6 rooms from CA$160Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
Set on a delightful farm in rural Cumbria, Crake Trees Manor is a superb guesthouse. Set in a lovely stone house, the Manor offers charming rooms, delicious breakfasts and access to beautiful surrounding countryside. Perfect for a rural retreat. See More
Cook House Kendal, Cumbria 2 rooms from CA$160Sights nearby - Visit nearby Levens Hall with its worldwide famous topiary garden.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Full of character
This former Cook House has taken on new life as a quaint B&B. Tucked into the sleepy Lake District village of Levens, Cook House is full of rural charm and character. Lovely rooms, friendly hosts and beautiful surroundings all combine to create a convivial atmosphere. See More
The Royal Hotel Kirkby Lonsdale Kirkby Lonsdale 14 rooms from CA$160Great walks - With the Yorkshire Dales National Park & the Lake District on the doorstep, this is a perfect destination for a walking holidayCountry Escape - Spend days exploring the stunning surrounding countryside before returning to hearty cuisine and a roaring fireBar - The pub has been awarded a ‘Certificate of Excellence’ in the serving of Cask AlesSights nearby - Visit the historic market town of Skipton complete with an impressive medieval castle
A long-established hotel well positioned in the main square of historic Kirkby Londsdale. Rooms mix contemporary and traditional styles with rich hues, exposed beams, and French-Provencal-style furniture. With award-winning ales and hearty British cuisine, this is an ideal base for a rural getaway. See More
The Black Bull, Sedbergh Cumbria 18 rooms from CA$167Country Escape - A country inn with good food and surrounded by fabulous walking countrySights nearby - Local attractions include Abbot Hall Art Gallery, Kendal, and Sizergh CastleGreat walks - From the doorstep onto the Howgill Fells, or in Yorkshire DalesRestaurant - Recommended.
A smart market-town, coaching-inn with quietly classy food and a modern, relaxed style that retains a traditional pub feel but subtly updated. Calm and welcoming rather than pretentious, and only minutes from the M6 motorway. See More
Sun Inn Kirkby Lonsdale 11 rooms from CA$167Local exploring - Great base for exploring both the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District.Sights nearby - Devil’s Bridge in Kirkby LonsdaleBirdwatching - RSPB’s reserve at Leighton MossGreat walks - Ingleton Waterfalls Trail.Recommended by - Sawdays
Traditional town pub with comfortable rooms in a charming market town near the Lake District and the Dales. Popular with locals for its award winning menu. A great base for serious walking, but need a car. Dog friendly with lots of outdoor activities on offer in the surrounding area. See More
The George and Dragon Penrith, Cumbria 11 rooms from CA$169Local exploring - A great base for exploring the Northern parts of the Lake District.Sights nearby - Go and visit the Rebel oak tree, the place where Bonnie Prince Charlie was finally defeated in 1745.Fishing - Salmon fishing on the nearby River Eden and brown trout fishing on the River Lowther.Great walks - Go for lovely walks around nearby Ullswater.
Delightful gastropub with comfortable rooms that offers a great base for people staying in the Northern Lake District. Delicious food served in the restaurant and plush bedrooms make a great choice for people wanting to explore nearby landmarks such as Ullswater and Keswick. See More
Black Swan Cumbria 19 rooms from CA$169TraditionalGreat walks - Plenty of long walks in the Lake District, England's largest National ParkSights nearby - Brough Castle, the 'book town' of Sedbergh and Wensleydale cheese shopTennis - Courts available in Ravenstonedale villageRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Experience English village life in this traditional country inn. Rooms are decorated in a 'country' style with soft palettes and furnishings. Explore the leafy grounds or enjoy some gastro pub grub and a pint of local ale at the popular restaurant. Pack the car and the kids and the dog! See More
Punch Bowl Inn, Cumbria Crosthwaite (Cumbria) 9 rooms from CA$177Romantic Break - Ideal for a romantic weekend away, with his and hers tubs, candlelite dinners and sweeping views of the countryside.Active Holiday - Some of the best walking in the British Isles is right on your doorstep, be sure to bring your hiking boots!Foodies - Chef Scott Fairweather never fails to impress, with local ingrediants and inventive combinations.Great walks - With something for every level of comitment, from full day hikes to an afternoon stroll.Recommended by - Sawdays
Quaint 18th Century Inn, ideally situated in a Lake District village with sweeping valley views. Plush boutique styling throughout, rooms exude comfort and indulge in modern bathrooms. Popular lunch food for locals and great dinner menu. Good base for local exploring but a car is needed. See More
The Crown Inn at Pooley Bridge Cumbria 17 rooms from CA$177Local exploring - A great base for exploring the stunning Lake DistrictGreat walks - For a challenging hike head up Helvellyn mountain, or for a gentler walk start off in ThirlmereLocal markets - Head to Penrith, once the capital of Cumbria, and explore its traditional shops and arcadesSights nearby - Visit the ruins of Penrith Castle
17th century coaching inn situated in a charming village by Ullswater Lake. Expect a friendly atmosphere and a great beer garden with gorgeous views. Smart rooms are cosy and comfortable, some featuring statement walls or matching furnishings. An easygoing base for exploring the stunning region. See More
Number 43 Cumbria 6 rooms from CA$185Views - Stunning views across the Kent Estuary.Great walks - Arnside offers good walking for a wide range of abilities. Take an invigorating stretch up to Arnside Knott.Sights nearby - Visit Levens Hall and Holker Hall.Fishing - Visit Wych Elm Fly Fishery
Award winning B&B with breathtaking views over the Kent Estuary. Bedrooms are light and airy and decorated in fresh coastal tones, furnished with Lloyd Loom bespoke furniture and Herdwick pure wool carpets. Modern showers & underfloor heating add to the luxury. A luxury base for exploring the area. See More
Bay Villa Grange-over-Sands 3 rooms from CA$185Great walks - The surrounding landscape is full of fantastic walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit historic houses such as Holker Hall and Levens Hall.Birdwatching - The Lake District coastline is a haven for birdwatching.Full of character
A classy, discreet B&B with just three suites furnished with antiques, and with mesmerising sea views. A perfect bolthole in a genteel time warp seaside resort. See More
Willowbeck Lodge Carlisle, Cumbria 4 rooms from CA$185Back to Nature - Located in acres of beautiful gardens, complete with woodland, stream, lake and within easy reach of The Lake District.Great walks - The Lake District, England's largest National Park, provides some of the most beautiful and best walking routes.Sights nearby - Carlisle Castle is within easy reach and well worth a visit.Restrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 are permitted.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A family affair exceeding expectations. Owners create gourmet dishes, whilst son runs a successful on site coffee shop. Double storey, windows look out onto acres of garden and woodland beyond. Fresh, country style rooms with large four piece bathrooms make the most of views with private balconies. See More
Lindeth Howe Windermere (Lindeth Drive) 34 rooms from CA$187Country Escape - A cosy rural property surrounded by some of the UK's finest walking country.Great walks - The hotel organises guided tours of the Lake District National Park.Restaurant - AA 2 rosette restaurantRomantic - Good for couples.
Overlooking Lake Windermere, this handsome Victorian mansion, once owned by Beatrix Potter, has a bold contemporary style in its public rooms while bedrooms are calm and restful. With beautiful gardens, it makes a peaceful retreat yet is strolling distance from the lake. See More
Kirkstile Inn Loweswater, Cumbria 10 rooms from CA$192Families - With family rooms, a laidback feel, and plenty of outdoorsy activities nearby — this is a good choice for active familiesActive Holiday - This is the perfect destination for walking or cycling holidays with endless routes to explore each dayGreat walks - There are many wonderful walks directly from Kirkstile itself, around Buttermere and in the Northern Lake District generallySights nearby - Head to nearby Cockermouth to visit the National Trust's Wordsworth House
A charming Lake District inn set in a quiet village with walking and cycling opportunities aplenty. Cottagey rooms are simple and traditional and most offer lovely views. The pub is a popular spot with a selection of good ales and elevated pub fare — ideal to return to after a day outdoors. See More
Moss Grove Organic Hotel Grasmere (Ambleside) 11 rooms from CA$192Sights nearby - Lake District Tour from WindermereLocal markets - Sarah Nelson's Gingerbread ShopCycling - The Cyclist's Coast to CoastGreat walks - Coast to Coast Guided Walk
In the heart of pretty Grasmere village, this eco-friendly B&B offers a relaxed welcome, generous bedrooms, strong use of natural furnishings and Mediterranean-style, brunch breakfasts. See More
The Royal Oak, Keswick Keswick 18 rooms from CA$197Local exploring - A great base for exploring Keswick and the surrounding Lake District.Sights nearby - Keswick Pencil Museum; Castlerigg Stone Circle, The Lakes Distillery at head of Bassenthwaite LakeGreat walks - The surrounding countryside is full of wonderful walking routes.Restaurant - Recommended.
A dog-friendly historic inn in a plum position in the centre of Keswick, one of the Lake District’s friendliest market towns. Carefully modernised so as not to lose its original charm, the bedrooms are cosy while the food is just the ticket for a day on the fells. See More
The Waterhead Inn Coniston, Cumbria 41 rooms from CA$201Country Escape - Lakeside property with ringside view of Windemere and the beauty of CumbriaSights nearby - Both Wordsworth's and Beatrix Potter's former houses are under 10kmsSailing - Take a boat out on the famous Lake WindemereGreat walks - Up 'The Old Man of Coniston'
A stylish bolthole amongst the rugged scenery of the Lake District, with views of Windermere lake. With sleek and airy rooms, a lively bistro-style restaurant and free access to a nearby leisure centre, it’s a place to relax and recharge. There is a jazzy bistro restaurant and good wine selection. See More
The Cottage in the Wood nr Keswick, Cumbria 10 rooms from CA$202Foodies - Chef Ben Wilkinson has raised the bar on Cumbrian fine dining whipping up creative dishes which have earned him a Michelin starActive Holiday - Surrounded by rolling hills and woodlands, this property is primed for days outdoorsSailing - Head to nearby Keswick or Derwentwater for gentle lake cruisesGreat walks - Ideally suited for overnighting and fell walkingRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A chic converted 17th-century coaching inn set in a mountain forest with magnificent views. Despite the cosy sounding name, rooms are in fact swish and modern. Owner-managed, the real draw (besides the setting) is the Michelin star dining — making this a great choice for a spoiling rural escape. See More
Heads Nook Hall Cumbria 6 rooms from CA$202Country Escape - An impressive country manor in the beautiful Cumbrian countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating tablets at the Roman Vindolanda.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
An imposing country house B&B situated in beautifully manicured gardens. Spacious rooms are traditionally styled with antique furniture, sash windows, persian rugs and the best have free standing baths. Ideal for a rural escape with easy access to Hadrians Wall and the Lakes. See More
Wasdale Head Inn Wasdale Head, Cumbria 12 rooms from CA$202Great walks - Miles from anywhere, this Inn has some of the most unspoilt walking in England.Views - All bedrooms have stunning views of WasdaleClimbing - At the foot of England's highest mountainSights nearby - The Smallest Church in England, St Olaf's at Wasdale Head.
Famous climbing inn at the head of Wasdale, spectacularly sited below Scafell Pike with magnificent views. Satisfy your stomach with hearty pub food or enjoy the finer things in the wood-panelled Dining Room. Rooms are simple but extremely comfortable and all boast breathtaking views. See More
Howe Keld Keswick 12 rooms from CA$202Active Holiday - The Lake District is perfect for walking, cycling or sailing.Sights nearby - Nearby Wordsworth House makes for a great day out.Great walks - There are many low level walks to explore.Sailing - Boat trips on Derwentwater
Situated close to Keswick town centre and just a short walk from Derwent Water, and with wonderful views of the hills. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Relaxed and friendly young owners who are keen to help guests enjoy the Lake District. Breakfasts will set you up for a day out exploring. See More
Pentonbridge Inn Carlisle, Cumbria 9 rooms from CA$211Sights nearby - Nearby Carlisle has got a day's worth of activities with its medieval castle, art gallery and Tullie House Museum.Great walks - Beautiful walks from the doorstep and also the chance to explore a section of nearby Hadrian's Wall.Remote - Off the beaten track.Restaurant - Recommended.
A contemporary-style but low-key coaching inn with seriously good food, this place will appeal to foodies who like its away-from-it-all location close to the Scottish border. See More
Raise View Grasmere 7 rooms from CA$211Country Escape - Situated in the heart of the Lake District, it's perfect for a break in the countryside.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of wonderful walking routes.Sights nearby - Take a trip to nearby Rydal Mount & Gardens.Restrictions on children
Stylish yet relaxed B&B with contemporary country-house furnishings and a welcoming atmosphere. Ideal for outdoors enthusiasts who want a comfortable base and knowledgeable, friendly hosts. See More
L'Enclume Cumbria 16 rooms from CA$218Foodies - Fans of haute cuisine will rave about the Michelin starred restaurantGreat walks - Across the village to Cartmel's medieval priorySights nearby - Have a flutter at nearby Cartmel racecourseRomantic - Good for couples.
Michelin-starred, restaurant-with-rooms with a low-key, relaxed style in a pretty village setting. Creative, locally sourced food and simple but smart rooms that together add up to a wonderfully refreshing and easy-going atmosphere. Cosy suites are the perfect retreat after a slap up meal. See More
Lodore Falls Hotel & Spa Cumbria 87 rooms from CA$219Country Escape - A country house set in an outstanding location. Take long walks, have a drink by the open fire and feast on regional cuisine.Spa breaks - The Falls Spa is an extensive, luxury adults on facility that will pamper even the pickiest of guests!Swimming Pool - 16m outdoor pool with neck jets, underwater loungers and overflow hot tub.Great walks - The Lake District boasts stunning walking routes.
Landmark hotel with lake and fell views, spa and hydrotherapy pool, plus choice of dining options, and a smart and friendly service. Set within 40 acres of picturesque countryside it's the perfect spot for a rural escape. See More
The Yan Grasmere 7 rooms from CA$219Active Holiday - Whether you want to hike, sail, or cycle — the Lake District offers the perfect setting for an outdoorsy holidayFamilies - With all of the rooms featuring a sofa-bed this is a good option for families with young childrenRestaurant - A modern spin on European classics are served in the Bistro which uses local produceGreat walks - Beautiful walks start right from the property
A chic boutique hideaway in a scenic rural spot outside Grasmere. Rooms feel fresh and contemporary with natural materials, grey hues, and plenty of light. Downstairs the bistro serves European cuisine with a modern flare. A family-run affair with well-thought-out details. A stylish rural getaway. See More
The Queen’s Head, Askham Cumbria 6 rooms from CA$219Foodies - The pub restaurant serves superb British cuisine, with a contemporary twist, using produce from the neighbouring estateCountry Escape - With fireplaces, local ales, hearty cuisine, and lovely walks this is the perfect country escapeSights nearby - Visit Lowther Castle and stroll through its wild gardens while the kids play in the adventure playgroundGreat walks - Set out straight from the property on scenic walks through the Cumbrian countryside
A snug, beamed 17th-century village pub with a smart but understated contemporary country feel that still retains its atmosphere. Big comfortable bedrooms with occasional antiques and confident, robust cooking using ingredients from the local Lowther estates. See More
The Leathes Head KESWICK, Cumbria 11 rooms from CA$228Country Escape - Boasting a fabulous location in one of the Lake District's most beautiful valleys and surrounded by glorious walking country.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Find miles of hiking trails running across the mountains, through the forests and round the lakes.Sailing - Lake cruises on Derwentwater
Friendly and relaxed country-house hotel with a traditional style but modern cooking and with mesmerising views over fells and Derwentwater. Unfussy and informal but with comfort in all the right places. See More
The Queen's Head Cumbria 10 rooms from CA$231Sailing - There are plenty of companies who will take you out sailing on Lake Windemere if you fancy a bit of an adventure!Sights nearby - Head over to Beatrix Potter's house near Sawrey, Holehird Gardens or William Wordsworth's homes at Dove CottageGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the valley or test yourself with higher fells such as HelvellynRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Michelin Travel, CN Traveller
The Queen's Head is a traditional country inn with a smart but relaxed, contemporary style, close to Windermere but away from the crowds. Original features and modern craftsmanship create a bright and welcoming atmosphere plus stylish bedrooms and generous food. See More
Rothay Manor Ambleside 19 rooms from CA$236Country Escape - Set in pretty woodlands and boasting easy access to Cumbria's fabulous walking country.Sights nearby - Visit 'Hill Top', Beatrix Potter’s former home, situated near Hawkshead.Sailing - Learn to sail on Lake Windermere, just a short stroll from the property.Boutique
Privately owned, elegant country-house-style hotel with a modern freshness and a highly regarded restaurant. Bedrooms are large and understated while there are lawned gardens for lazy afternoons. See More
The Halston Carlisle (Cumbria) 22 rooms from CA$236Foodies - Foodies will love the range of restaurants, cafés and bars at this hotel. The tapas at Penny Blue is paticularly goodCity Style - Located in a celebrated Edwardian property in the centre of Carlisle, this hotel has lots of chic city styleWeddings - The Halston makes a picturesque setting for a wedding; enquire with the hotel for wedding packagesKayaking - For an adrenaline-filled day out, go kayaking on the River Eden; enquire at reception for local providers
Housed in a landmark Edwardian property, this period hotel offers luxury apartments in the heart of Carlisle. Interiors are dressed in a pastel palette and feature boutique wallpaper, cosy rugs and rich linens, plus self-catering facilities. Dine at the gourmet restaurant. A chic heritage stay. See More
Applegarth Villa Windermere (Cumbria) 22 rooms from CA$236Romantic Break - Adults only hotel with a cocktail bar, huge rooms and private hot tubsSights nearby - Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth's houses are a short drive awayPrivate Hot Tub - All the seven suites have their own private outdoor hot tub.Sailing - A sailing trip along the iconic Lake Windemere
Adults-only, boutique bolthole with high-quality, designer bedrooms, including sumptuous suites with private hot-tubs. Family-run with a relaxed atmosphere and bistro-style restaurant and bar with an expansive collection of whiskeys. A real, spoiling treat in a great location. See More
The Pheasant Inn, Cumbria Bassenthwaite Lake, Cumbria 15 rooms from CA$236Foodies - Enjoy locally sourced produce at this acclaimed casual Bistro- think wholesome food, fine wines and craft ales.Country Escape - Make the most of your surroundings at this charming coaching inn just meters from the Bassenthwaite Lake.Sights nearby - Head to Dalemain House and Gardens and explore the historic house and it's beautiful gardens.Great walks - Sale Fell is on your doorstep, and for the more adventurous Skiddaw range 10 mins away.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
An old, remote coaching inn, with fine dining and bistro. Friendly and welcoming with well kept gardens and a cosy lounge with fireplace. Enjoy country walks and fishing in the nearby Lake Bassenthwaite. A country retreat with access to local spa and pool. See More
Cedar Manor Windermere (Cumbria) 10 rooms from CA$244Fishing - From brown trout to salmon there is a huge variety to be caught in Cumbria's lakes and rivers for the DIY fish supper.Sights nearby - The Beatrix Potter House and Museum is a charming afternoon out.Restrictions on children - Children under 10 are not permitted at this hotel.Restaurant - AA rosette fine diningRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Country-house-style hotel with a contemporary feel and genuinely personal touch. Supremely comfortable bedrooms, a fine-dining restaurant and a classy but relaxed atmosphere. See More
Tweedies Bar and Lodge Grasmere 16 rooms from CA$244Active Holiday - The Lake District offers the perfect landscape for a host of outdoor pursuits including hiking, cycling, and horse ridingGroups - Book the two Mews Suites as a small group of friends and enjoy the shared courtyard and hot tubGreat walks - Head out the front door and find miles of scenic walking trails whether you want an amble or a full-day hikeRestaurant - Hearty modern British cuisine is served in the laidback restaurant
A family-run hotel in ever-popular Grasmere with a renowned real-ale bar and boutique-style rooms. Rooms and suites are individually styled but the feel is rural-chic with muted tones, simple modern furniture, and wooden floors. With hearty cuisine, this is ideal for walkers and cyclists. See More
Lancrigg Grasmere 10 rooms from CA$244Country Escape - A quiet spot ideal for walking enthusiasts or those wanting to simply unwind.Great walks - Take scenic walks around Grasmere and Rydal Water.Whirlpool Bathtub - The Dickens room comes with whirlpool bathtubSailing - Take a cruise on the iconic Lake Windermere.Recommended by - Sawdays
Set in beautiful and peaceful grounds, with stunning fell views, yet only 15 minutes from Grasmere, this small country-house hotel has a relaxed and contemporary style plus excellent food. See More
The Wild Boar Windermere 34 rooms from CA$251Back to Nature - Sitting right on the edge of the Lake District National Park — this is a base to go out and spend time in natureGreat walks - Whether you want a gentle amble or something more challenging, there are miles of scenic hiking trails to exploreSights nearby - Beatrix Potter’s house, Hawkshead, and Wordsworth’s Dove Cottage are all easily accessibleRestaurant - Elevated pub classics are served in the restaurant
A traditional inn set on the eastern edge of the National Park. Cosy rooms are full of character with antiques & patterned wallpaper. An atmospheric restaurant, with exposed beams & a fireplace, serves good pub fare. They also have their own smokehouse and microbrewery. A charming rural hideaway. See More
Eltermere Inn Cumbria 12 rooms from CA$251Great walks - The Langdales are great for walkers - book a day with Mike Wood, the hotel's recommended guideSights nearby - The Wordsworth Museum, Beatrix Potter's house, Ruskin's house are all close byHideaway - Get away from it all in this beautiful Lakelands innSpa - Guests have complimentary access to Langdale SpaRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Relaxed and luxurious, country-house-style hotel with an elegant, contemporary style. On the edge of pretty Elterwater village, with views over the lake, it’s ideally placed for both walking in Langdale or Ambleside’s shops and Windermere lakeshore. Complimentary entry to Lansdale Spa. See More
Overwater Hall Ireby, Cumbria 11 rooms from CA$253Sights nearby - The Lakes Distillery; Wordsworth’s Birthplace, Cockermouth; Keswick Pencil MuseumGreat walks - both lakeside strolling and major fells such as Skiddaw and BlencathraLocal markets - Cockermouth and Keswick both hold weekly marketsRestrictions on children - No children under 5 allowed in the restaurantRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
A classic country-house hotel with a personal touch, warm welcome, comfortably traditional rooms, and a deserved reputation for its fine-dining food. Quietly set away from the crowds, too. See More
Holbeck Ghyll Hotel Ambleside (Cumbria) 23 rooms from CA$253Total relaxation - Unwind in Victorian English style with pampering suites overlooking Lake Windermere, spa services and impeccable service.Active Holiday - Walkers and ramblers bring your wellies and explore this stunning part of the country.Great walks - Ask at the front desk for an outline of the wonderful walks around the lake and beyond.Private Hot Tub - Lake View Suite and Ghyll Side cottage both feature a private outdoor hot tub.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Small Luxury Hotels
One of the Lake District’s original country-house hotels, Holbeck Ghyll has stunning views over Lake Windermere and impressive Arts and Crafts architecture. Its creative food is another draw; definitely a place for indulgence. See More
Askham Hall Hotel Penrith, Cumbria 17 rooms from CA$253Foodies - The fabulous restaurant has been awarded one Michelin StarGarden - Attractive outside space.Swimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor heated poolFull of character
Country house hotel with a thoroughly modern twist. Large comfortable rooms with up to date bathrooms, enviable views, enticing food and homely feel. Great for stop over or a cosy weekend. See More
The Ryebeck Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria 24 rooms from CA$253Great walks - Superb walking either low-level or higher fells such as Langdale Pikes.Sights nearby - Visit Beatrix Potter’s house less than two miles from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelRestaurant - Recommended.
A comfortable country-house hotel in a peaceful setting, with beautiful views of Lake Windermere, yet still close to popular attractions. Relaxed and informal, with comfortable, unfussy bedrooms, it has an excellent restaurant turning out well-crafted Modern British dishes. See More
Broadoaks Cumbria 20 rooms from CA$261Weddings - Offering an experienced team, beautiful backdrop and excellent catering service.Country Escape - A chic country house located in the beautiful Lake District.Spa - Guests are welcome to use the facilities at Low Wood Bay Health Club, including pool & hot tubs, a short drive away.Restaurant - Oaks restaurant serves delicious AA rosette food where local ingredients are served with a French twist.
A smart country house and spa located near the famed Lake Windermere. Romantic rooms mix traditional and contemporary styles with dark hues, four poster beds and indulgent bathrooms. An award winning restaurant makes a welcome respite after a day spent in the countryside. See More
The Daffodil Hotel Grasmere 78 rooms from CA$266Families - With family-suites available and plenty of space for little-ones to run around in. Ideal for those travelling with childrenCountry Escape - A grand country house complete with manicured grounds, a spa, and fine-dining restaurant; a relaxing rural escapeViews - Most of the rooms have stunning views over Grasmere Lake and those that don't look over the Grasmere Valley to Helm CraggGreat walks - Take a hike up one of the famous local fells
An imposing Victorian house set in expansive grounds right beside Grasmere lake. Interiors are chic and contemporary with not a whiff of the building's austere origins. Rooms are bright, with bold colours and lovely indulgent bathrooms. Complete with a spa and excellent restaurant. A luxury escape. See More
Augill Castle Nr Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria 14 rooms from CA$270Families - With fantastic facilities for kids, from cooking classes, to playgrounds, dressing up boxes and plenty of toys.Country Escape - Spectacular walking, wonderful views and whiskey in the drawing room old school weekend in the country vibes.Great walks - With national parks all around, this is the perfect spot to get on your walking boots.Cooking classes - The hotel has a wonderful cookery school for children.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Great Small Hotels
Standing between the Lake District and the Dales rests this eccentric castle welcoming all the family into the countryside and the Eden Valley. Four poster beds and antique furnishings make up the comfortable rooms. Restaurant is open on weekends. Great hideaway and local exploring to be done. See More
Lindeth Fell Windermere (The Lake District) 14 rooms from CA$270Country Escape - A pretty rural house positioned in some of the UK's most picturesque countryside.Sights nearby - William Wordsworth’s homes at Dove Cottage, Grasmere, & Rydal Mount, RydalGreat walks - Find miles of scenic hiking trails to be explored.Sailing - Take a relaxing cruise across Windermere Lake.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A luxurious B&B located near scenic Lake Windemere. Interiors perfectly mix traditional British design with contemporary style - think antique furniture, boldly coloured walls, open fireplaces and chic modern bathrooms. Indulgent breakfasts and high tea are served. The perfect rural escape. See More
Grange Hotel Grange-over-Sands 50 rooms from CA$270Local exploring - Set on four acres of landscaped parklands boardering the Lake District, yet within the town and convenient for exploring.Great walks - Endless walks in the fells, tarns and lakes of the National Park, plus the hotel will pack you a lunch.Sights nearby - Entertain children at the Beatrix Potter Experience, a wonderful family outing.Swimming Pool - Indoor Spa Swimming Pool
One of a kind and full of character: old fashioned, genteel Victorian hotel. Ornate rooms with heavily draped beds and antique style furniture. Beautifully manicured gardens. Blissful indoor pool, hot tub and extensive spa. Fabulous restaurant. Wonderfully romantic. See More
Hillthwaite Windermere (Windermere) 34 rooms from CA$241Country Escape - Located in the stunning Lake District close to Lake Windermere. Ideal for spending days in the great outdoors.Great walks - Make the most of the miles of hiking trails through some of the UKs finest countryside.Sights nearby - Visit Blackwell house and admire the Arts and Crafts architecture.Sailing - Take a romantic cruise on Lake Windermere.
In a quiet residential area, midway between Windermere Town and Bowness, Hillthwaite, unexpectedly, has one of the best views in the Lake District. With its contemporary country-house style, several lounges and wide terrace, it’s a peaceful retreat yet close to the Lakes’ main attractions. See More
Howtown Hotel Howtown, Cumbria 13 rooms from CA$280Sights nearby - Visit the historic Dalemain House, with tudor and medieval rooms, behind a Georgian façade.Restaurant - The gong sounds for dinner - short menu, traditional dishesGreat walks - Fabulous base for walks around the Lake District.Lakeside - 200 yards from Ullswater, with private foreshoreRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Wonderful old-fashioned, down-to-earth hotel in the Lake District. Popular with walkers and those seeking the peace and quiet provided by absense of TVs, wifi and phones. Good value with great views and hearty meals. Tranquil lakeside setting. See More
Farlam Hall Brampton, Cumbria 12 rooms from CA$285Sights nearby - Hadrian's WallSecluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Relais & Chateaux
A relaxed and very comfortable, traditional, country-house hotel, owner managed with charm, warmth and great friendliness. Expect plenty of sofas, five-course dinners and a delightfully unpretentious atmosphere. See More
Hazel Bank Country House Cumbria 7 rooms from CA$287Country Escape - A gem of a property set in some of Britain's prettiest countryside.Sights nearby - Visit Castlerigg Stone Circle, one of the oldest and most impressive stone circles in Britain.Sailing - Take a relaxing cruise around Derwentwater.Restrictions on children - No children under 15Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A charming owner-managed Manor House in a quiet corner of picturesque Cumbria. Quintessentially dressed, the property has well selected antiques, heavy curtains and cosy fireplaces. A fantastic restaurant is a welcome spot to return to after a day of activities in the countryside. See More
Drunken Duck Inn Cumbria 13 rooms from CA$295Sights nearby - Dove Cottage and Rydal Mount, former homes of poet William WordsworthGreat walks - Traverse the Southern Lowland FellsFull of characterRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - CN Traveller
In the little village of Ambleside, nestled amongst the Southern Lowland Fells lies this 18th century inn. A landmark Lake District pub as famous for its smart food as its own-brew beer and with an attractive contemporary-country style. Comfortably inviting rooms are stylish yet uncluttered. See More
The Swan Hotel & Spa Cumbria 58 rooms from CA$298Country Escape - Surrounded by Cumbria's rolling hills with all the trimmings of a proper country stayGreat walks - Several easy walks from the hotel, or nearby Gummer’s How is an easy climb with fantastic viewsSights nearby - Holker Hall and Levens Hall both boast beautiful gardensSailing - Sailing on Lake WindermereRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Overlooking the River Leven on the South shore of Lake Windemere. Traditional, whitewashed Lakeland coaching inn with smart and colourful, contemporary interiors and a great, family-friendly ethos. Boasting views, walks and airy interiors plus indoor pool and spa, brasserie and bar. A great stay. See More
Rothay Garden Hotel Grasmere 30 rooms from CA$304Country Escape - A country house set in pretty gardens just outside Grasmere. Close enough to the sights but away from the crowds.Sailing - Hire a boat and take a relaxing sail across Grasmere Lake or enjoy a cruise around Lake Windermere.Sights nearby - William Wordsworth’s homes at Dove Cottage, Grasmere, & Rydal Mount, RydalGreat walks - Find lovely walks through the fells starting straight from the property
A charming riverside country house hotel set in picturesque gardens just outside Grasmere. Luxurious rooms are bright and contemporary, the best-featuring balconies with river views. The purpose-built spa is an indulgent extra and dinners are an extravagant four-course affair. See More
The Windermere Suites Windermere, Cumbria 8 rooms from CA$304Romantic Break - Large suites with private hot tubs are made for romanceSights nearby - William Wordsworth’s homes at Dove Cottage and Beatrix Potter's House are close bySailing - Lake cruises on WindermereRomantic - Good for couples.
Designer B&B with eight lavish and sexy monochrome suites including sultry accents and highlights of silver and uber-modern lights. Bathrooms have TVs and mood lighting - plus it’s always breakfast. Located in the heart of the Lake District it is a chic little retreat amidst traditional surrounds. See More
New House Farm Cockermouth, Cumbria 5 rooms from CA$304Restaurant - Serving sophisticated British dishesGreat walks - Fantastic rural walking routesTraditional - Historic farmhouseViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
400 year old farmhouse in remote part of Lake District. Stunning panoramic views of the Lakeland Fells, with 15 acre gardens to wander in. Traditional interiors, oak beams, open fire places - deep reds and dark wood furnishings. The beautiful Lorton valley makes it a popular wedding destination. See More
Storrs Hall Windermere (Bowness-on-Windermere) 35 rooms from CA$312Romantic Break - The Boathouse is ideal for couples on a romantic getaway, isolated from the house, with panoramic views of the lake.Sights nearby - Hawkshead – take the car ferry across Windermere to this pretty Lakeland village with pubs, delis and Beatrix Potter GalleryGreat walks - The Lake District is a place pulsating in the poetry of Wordworth and Coleridge, with great mountains and placid lakes.Sailing - Take a scenic cruises across the lake.
Elegant 4-star hotel set in an 18th century Georgian mansion, offering rooms, suites, lodges and a luxury boathouse with panoramic views of the lake. Decor is stylish and classic. Featuring a restaurant, tower bar, regular afternoon tea and, naturally, boat cruises across the lake. See More
Lakeside Hotel and Spa Newby Bridge, Cumbria 73 rooms from CA$329Views - Stunning views over Lake WindermereRestaurant - The Lakeview Grill Restaurant offers fine dining with a view, or for a more casual vibe go to John Ruskin's BrasserieSpa - The only Aveda Destination Spa in the region with spa garden leading directly to the lakeshoreOutstanding location - Fabulous location with stunning views at the southern end of Lake Windermere
A charming property at the southern end of Lake Windermere, with sensational lake views. Spacious rooms and suites offer a charming blend of traditional and contemporary and all ground floor options come with private terrace or garden. The Aveda Spa and superb dining options ensure this is a winner! See More
The Forest Side Grasmere (Keswick Road) 20 rooms from CA$336Foodies - Enjoy some absolutely exquisite meals at their Michelin starred restaurant — an absolute must!Great walks - The Lake District is home to many breathtaking hiking trailsSailing - Hire a rowing boat on nearby GrasmereRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Recently renovated, The Forest Side is a romantic gothic mansion just outside Grasmere in the heart of the Lake District. Offering chic and spacious accommodation with plenty of light hues, this dog-friendly spot boasts 43 acres of superb gardens and stunning cuisine. A top-notch country retreat! See More
Linthwaite House Hotel Windermere (Cumbria) 36 rooms from CA$337Romantic Break - Take the stunning views, plush suites, two man tubs and candlelit dinners and you are guaranteed romance.Views - From its elevated position Linthwaite enjoys breathtaking views over Lake Windermere and the Coniston Fells.Private Hot Tub - The hot tub suite has a private enclosed verandah housing a large hot tub with a stunning lake view.Fishing - Try your hand at Fly fishing on the hotel's lake, a wonderfully peacefull way to spend an afternoon.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays
Slick, stylish designs meet an intimate Edwardian country house offering all round comfort. Award winning dishes and fine wines at the restaurant. From its hilltop location over Lake Windermere and the Fells - explore The Lake District on foot, bike or horseback. Serenity at its finest! See More
Windermere Boutique Hotel Windermere, Cumbria 13 rooms from CA$371Active Holiday - Lake Windermere is perfect for watersports, and the surrounding parklands provide top notch walking and cycling options.Local exploring - Explore the rolling beauty of the Lake District, surrounding National Parkland and Beatrix Potter country.Sights nearby - Visit Beatrix Potter's Home- Hill Top, less than three miles from the hotel.Great walks - Beautiful walking routes around the shores of Lake Windermere.
A beautiful Edwardian house hotel, near the shores of Lake Windermere. The individually decorated rooms are comfortable and spacious. Downstairs one can enjoy delicious food in the intimate dining room. In the heart for Beatrix Potter country, this is definitely one for the Peter Rabbit lovers. See More
The Samling Hotel Ambleside 11 rooms from CA$371Country Escape - A smart base offering access to arguably some of the UK's finest countryside.FoodiesActive HolidaySailing - Cruise across Lake Windermere and enjoy spectacular views.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Michelin Travel
A small luxury hotel boasting both chic interiors and fabulous views of Lake Windermere. Individually styled rooms are light and airy with bold colours, antiques and softly patterned fabrics. Offering exemplary cuisine and a choice selection of wines, this is a rural escape designed for indulging. See More