Search the best hotels in Saint-Paul-de-Vence
One of the oldest perfectly preserved medieval towns on the French Riviera, Saint-Paul-de-Vence also has a fascinating past as a 20th Century artists’ haven. This historic hillside town is now an enchanting holiday destination, with an excellent choice of accommodation options fit for couples, friends or families. Just seven kilometres from the beach and 30 minutes from lively Nice, the best places to stay in Saint-Paul-de-Vence offer intimate hideaways with mesmerising views and famously delicious cuisine.
Encircled by imposing stone walls, Saint-Paul-de-Vence was once an influential border stronghold, and the Porte de Vence - part of this original fortifications - is a wonderful way to enter the town. Experience the town’s rich cultural past with visits to the Local History Museum, La Chapelle des Pénitents-Blancs, St Paul's Collegiate Church and the sumptuous St Clement Chapel. Round things off with a refreshing drink and some people-watching in the Place de L'Eglise.
The opening of a tramway in 1911 transformed Saint-Paul-de-Vence, and it was soon discovered by artists, writers and creatives. Raoul Dufy was one of the first to arrive, attracted by the area’s light and colour; the likes of Picasso, Matisse and Chagall soon followed. For an insight into their lives and work, delve into the Foundation Maeght, marvel at the paintings which adorn the legendary Colombe d’Or Hotel, or journey to the Marc Chagall’s tomb. You’ll also find countless galleries, artists’ studios and exhibitions, reflecting the creations of the next generation of artists who have chosen Saint-Paul-de-Vence as their home.
Hiking, cycling and horse riding trails surround the town, and the beach is just a short drive away. Whilst some of the best place to stay in Saint-Paul-de-Vence are right in the centre of town, many of our favourite Provençal escapes are tucked in the countryside — ideal for outdoorsy explorers!
The Best Places to stay in Saint-Paul-de-Vence
For Historic Charm
- La Grande Bastide is a glorious 18th-century country house with 14 classic rooms and suites. Private balconies are ideal for quiet evenings with a view, as is the candlit terrace. Pick this place for a charming rural escape as a couple or with friends. A historic bolthole, with free daily shuttles into town.
- Hôtel Le Saint Paul boasts an excellent central Saint-Paul-de-Vence location, ideal for on-foot explorations. A romantic medieval villa, the hotel has sumptuous rooms with big tapestries draped over cosy beds, antique furnishings and gorgeous views. Tuck in to terrific fare at the gourmet terrace restaurant. Couples and history buffs will love it!
- Toile Blanche offers 6 indulgent suites clad in light yellows and dusky pinks, with big terraces overlooking verdant gardens. Dine in the understated modern restaurant, swim in the pool and put your feet up on your private terrace. A honeymoon haven.
- La Bastide des Pins is a charming hillside B&B with three elegant, romantic rooms. Unwind in the pretty gardens, gaze out at the mountains and the sea, and enjoy long walks and birdwatching. For nature lovers and tranquil couples.
- La Maison du Frêne has a real house party feel, with its quirky interiors, intimate size and the abundance of amazing artwork. The five suites are large, airy and luxurious, the breakfasts delicious and the imaginative decoration superb. For artsy couples, in the heart of Vence.
- Le Mas du Chanoine is an idyllic B&B in a 17th-century villa, with gorgeous gardens and an inviting pool. The three spacious rooms are decorated in warm Mediterranean tones, with rustic touches like fireplaces and wooden beams. Kickstart the day with generous breakfasts. Quiet and romantic.
- Orion Tree Houses offers three fabulous tree houses and one cottage. Named for Jungle Book characters, these family-friendly hideaways are appealingly relaxed and eco-focused. Slpash around in the pool and gather for communal vegetarian dinners. Book the whole place for a family or group trip.
- Hôtel le Hameau is a converted farmhouse with a collection of rustic rooms and cottages. Beautiful gardens and a refreshing pool beckon, as do walking paths and onsite art exhibitions. Families will appreciate the adjoining rooms and suites, as well as flexible, child-friendly food options.
- Domaine du Mas De Pierre has 76 recently renovated rooms and suites set in manicured gardens with a pool and terrace. One for families as well as couples, this luxurious hotel offers a kids' club, three heated swimming pools, a fitness centre, a spa and a whole array of activities. A sophisticated choice for active families.
- Hotel Alain Llorca offers elegant rooms and suites with antique pieces and soothing cream colour palettes. Just a few hundred metres from Saint-Paul de Vence, the hotel has an intimate bar, lovely terrace and inviting pool. The standout is Alain Llorca's Michelin-starred restaurant, specialising in Mediterranean-inspired fare. Try the Menu du Marché for everything from local artichokes and cheeses to chicken cooked in peanut butter, with fresh dates and confit lemon.
- La Colombe d’Or Hotel & Restaurant has long been a Provençal landmark, with paintings by Picasso, Matisse and fellow artists on its walls. Famed for its delectable regional fare, the restaurant is a destination in itself - hence the artwork, gifted in exchange for food or drink. A whimsical favourite for foodies or honeymooners. Still family-owned, with laid-back, traditional rooms.
For a Luxurious Château
- Château Saint-Martin & Spa is a gorgeous hillside escape with a Michelin-starred restaurant, indulgent spa and spacious rooms and suites. Expect panoramic views, immaculate service and a real sense of old-world glamour. A delight for foodies or couples.
For Great Value
- La Vague de Saint Paul is a stylish modern hotel just outside Saint-Paul-de-Vence. Bright, airy rooms are simple and modern, with smart ensuites. There's a good seafood restaurant, bar and swimming pool. Affordable and well-located.
- La Bergerie Côte d'Azur has four fresh rooms with white-on-white interiors and pretty floral bedsheets set around a swimming pool. Simple, refreshing and friendly. Very well-priced.
- Hôtel Cantemerle and its charming restaurant are set in ochre-roofed buildings surrounding by acres of leafy gardens. Rooms are stylish and modern, with private terraces and sink-into tubs. A surprisingly affordable stay with a pool, spa and gourmet eatery. For couples or families.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nice International Airport, 30 minutes from Saint-Paul-de-Vence by car. Buses and trains - to nearby Cagnes-sur-Mer - will take slightly longer.
- The Côte d'Azur is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking around 27°C in June to August — although this is the busiest time of year. May or September are ideal for quieter trips, whilst October and November tend to be rainy. The Mistral wine blows throughout much of the year, keeping rain showers passing through.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Cagnes-sur-Mer.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Côte d'Azur.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Saint-Paul-de-Vence
Best Hotels in Saint-Paul-de-Vence
La Vague de Saint Paul Saint-Paul-de-Vence 50 rooms from €111Beach Life - Just five minutes from the beach, it's perfect for exploring the beautiful coastline of Cote d'AzurSights nearby - Visit the nearby Château Grimaldi which houses some of Picasso's more obscure works.Local markets - The hotel is within eight miles of the Nice Cours Saleya and Flower Market.Tennis - Enjoy an evening game of tennis on the hotel's grass court.Recommended by - Tablet, Great Small Hotels
A stylish modern hotel just outside Saint-Paul-de-Vence. The comfortable and spacious rooms come with modern interiors and smart ensuite bathrooms. Luxuriate by the sublime outdoor pool and enjoy delicious seafood in the hotel's restaurant. An ideal beach-chic getaway for couples and families alike. See More
La Bergerie Cote d'Azur Saint-Paul-de-Vence (Résidence La Bergerie) 4 rooms from €115Back to Nature - On a prime hillside location between sea and mountains, a lovely serene base from which to explore the popular Riviera hauntsSights nearby - Celebrated towns such as Cannes and Nice are within easy distance, with famous sights and museums galoreLocal markets - Wander around local markets in the nearby villages and towns and gather ingredients for beach picnicsGreat walks - Explore the host of picturesque walking trails in the nearby regionRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
Hotel Cantemerle Saint-Paul-de-Vence (Vence) 26 rooms from €140Hideaway - A chic yet peaceful hotel set between the mountains and the sea, with fragrant gardens and lovely pool.Spa breaks - A lovely spa featuring an indoor heated pool, Hammam, Massage room, solarium and an outdoor pool.Tennis - The Vence tennis club is just a few kms from the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Attractive hotel and restaurant set in acres of private grounds 15km inland from the coast in charming Vence. Stylish rooms in a cluster of artfully old-fashioned ochre-roofed buildings. Gourmet restaurant, bar, swimming pool and spa. A lovely place to relax and while away a few days. See More
La Grande Bastide Saint-Paul-de-Vence 14 rooms from €150Views - Stunning views towards the coast and into the valleys below.Romantic Break - Beautiful bedrooms with patios straight onto the garden.Sights nearby - Fondation Maeght, Place du Grand Jardin, Vence Cathedral and Porte du Peyra.Swimming Pool - A candle lit pool in the evenings is the perfect spot for an aperitif.Recommended by - Sawdays
La Bastide des Pins Saint-Paul-de-Vence (06140 Vence) 3 rooms from €160Country Escape - An idyllic retreat in the cote d'azur hills, ideal for exploring stunning countryside and beachesGreat walks - Located in a special spot on the Côte d’Azur where the sea meets the mountains so there are a great array of beautiful walksSights nearby - In the local town of Vence head to the Chapelle du Rosaire, designed and decorated by Matisse and an architectural gemViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
A charming hillside B&B with a very pretty garden and amazing views to both the mountains and the sea. Expect quaint terracotta tiling, pretty terraces and wooden beams; rooms have fine wood furniture and delicate, romantic-style bedding. A lovely rural launchpad for couples and nature lovers. See More
Hôtel Le Hameau Saint-Paul-de-Vence 17 rooms from €170Local exploring - Walking distance to the medieval village of St Paul de Vence and a short drive to the many nearby villages.Country Escape - Beautiful gardens full of flowers and sundecks, soak up the Alpes-Maritimes countryside.Local markets - Vence has been a market town for centuries, head down to the picturesque square every Tuesday and Friday.Great walks - Wander the large and well landscaped gardens planted with fragrant lemon and orange treesRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A Provencal farm conversion, beside the road to St Paul de Vence, overlooking the valley. Simple but elegantly rustic bedrooms and a large pool surrounded by beautiful fragrant gardens. a peaceful, charming haven just 15 minutes drive to the beach and a 10 minute walk to St Paul. See More
La Maison du Frêne Saint-Paul-de-Vence 4 rooms from €170Artworks - Fabulous modern art by Hockney, Arman, Gilbert and George, pop-art, as well as pastiches of Picasso and Lichtenstein.Local exploring - Perfect for following in the footsteps of the great artists who spent time here and nearby.Romantic Break - These opulent and lavish suites set the tone for romance.Local markets - The nearby towns of Biot, Tourette-sur-Loup, Valbonne as well as Vence itself hold local produce markets every week.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Hotel le Saint-Paul Saint-Paul-de-Vence 16 rooms from €200Romantic Break - A charming hilltop hotel with ramparts overlooking the Côte d’Azur, a flower-packed terrace and antique filled rooms.Local exploring - A medieval property set in a pretty town and just 25 minutes from Nice and Antibes.Sights nearby - Make a trip to Antibes and visit the Picasso Museum housed inside the Grimaldi castle.Local markets - On Mondays is the famous antiques market in the Cours Saleya.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Good Hotel Guide
Orion Tree Houses Saint-Paul-de-Vence (2436 Chemin du Malvan) 5 rooms from €213Back to Nature - Located in and amongst the trees you are quite literally immersed by nature.Swimming Pool - There's a natural outdoor pool for refreshing dipsGreat walks - Good for walkers.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Four treehouses and a small cottage, all named after Jungle Book characters. The French owner of Orion is passionate about these unique luxurious tree houses - some have four-poster beds and other have hammocks on the private deck. Homely inside they have pebble-lined natural pool to cool off in. See More
Le Mas du Chanoine 06570 Saint-Paul-de-Vence 3 rooms from €240Romantic Break - Set among idyllic gardens with marvellous poolside views and elegant rooms, ideal for a couple's retreatSights nearby - The village is great for art lovers and has many galleries, artists' studios and the famous contemporary art Maeght FoundationRestrictions on children - Children 6 and older are allowedSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
A lovely B&B in a 17th-century villa, with gorgeous gardens and a pool with fabulous vistas. Rooms are spacious and decorated in warm Mediterranean tones, with rustic touches like fireplaces and wooden beams. Expect generous breakfasts, and don't miss playing a game on the floodlit boules court. See More
Domaine du Mas De Pierre Saint-Paul-de-Vence 54 rooms from €250Active Holiday - A brilliant base for an active holiday, with fitness classes, multiple pools, a games area, tennis access & moreFamilies - The kids' club, children's playground and inter-connecting suites make this a wonderful family holiday hotelSights nearby - A region filled with natural and cultural heritage. The Mas is on the outskirts of St Paul de VenceTennis - Tennis Court opposite the hotelRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Luxurious Provencal residence boasting luscious manicured gardens, tropical vegetation and a relaxing pool with terrace. Rooms are elegant all with private terrace or garden. A relaxing spa, plus gourmet Mediterranean cuisine complete the picture. A tropical oasis just 5km from the beach. See More
La Colombe d'Or Hotel Saint-Paul-de-Vence 25 rooms from €250Writing a novel - Steeped in romantic history, the hotel was an artists haven during WWII, this is an ideal property for inspiration and escapism.Honeymoons - A whimsical hotel ideal for romance, with lovely gardens, charming suites, and an indefinable mystique.Full of characterHouse party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Fodors
A family run hotel steeped in history. Unpretentious style and service lay the set for legendary art work including Picasso and Matisse. The Provençale cuisine is worthy of a visit alone and served in a laid back atmosphere. A truly unique property. 3 night min in high season See More
Hotel Alain Llorca Saint-Paul-de-Vence (La Colle sur Loup) 10 rooms from €255Country Escape - Set into the hillside, yet just 7km from the Med, offers peace and tranquility with a dash of gourmetGreat walks - On the beaches west of NiceSailing - Many schools nearbySights nearby - Saint Paul de VenceRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Toile Blanche Saint-Paul-de-Vence 6 rooms from €279Romantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Just a short drive from Nice and Cannes.TraditionalRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A serene boutique hotel in the Côte d'Azur. Chic, indulgent rooms with lots of natural light, some with balconies, and soothing dusky pink palettes. Stunning views from the garden terrace, creative French cuisine, & a short drive from Cannes and Nice. The perfect romantic spot. See More
Château Saint-Martin & Spa Saint-Paul-de-Vence 46 rooms from €490Honeymoons - An enchanting fariytale hotel with charming suites, private balconies with spectacular views of the sea.Foodies - There are several fantastic restaurants including the Michelin starred Saint Martin.Tennis - Enjoy a game of tennis on the hotel courts, the perfect way to pass the morning.Sights nearby - Close to the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence, a church designed by Henri Matisse.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors