Search the best hotels in Bayeux
There’s more to Bayeux than its spellbinding tapestry: this is a city with a rich history and vibrant community feel. With accommodation options ranging from charming B&Bs to idyllic rural châteaux, visitors to the area will be spoilt for choice when choosing a base for heritage or outdoorsy pursuits. Much of Normandy’s appeal lies in its striking architecture — and our list of the best places to stay in Bayeux includes some real gems.
Now on display at the Musée de la Tapisserie de Bayeux, the world-famous piece was in fact made in England, but ‘discovered’ whilst on display in Bayeux's Notre Dame Cathedral. Delve into the tapestry’s story at the museum, peer into the Gothic Cathedral, or take a guided walking tour of the city centre for an insight into Bayeux’s past. As one of the few cities in the region to emerge relatively unscathed from the bombing of the Second World War, central Bayeux has some beautifully preserved buildings dating back as far as the 13th Century. Mondaye Abbey, to the south, is also well worth visiting.
The Bayeux War Cemetery is the largest Commonwealth Cemetery in France, the Memorial Museum to the Battle of Normandy details the events of the period, and expert-led tours of the surrounding battlefields and the beaches of the D-Day Landings are fascinating. There’s also a significant German Military Cemetery between Bayeux and nearby Isigny-sur-Mer. Don’t miss the coastal fortifications of Longues-sur-Mer if you’re interested in military history.
For a more tranquil experience, stroll through the Botanical Gardens, savour Norman cuisine in the area’s many eateries, or go hiking, cycling and horse riding through the rolling countryside. Many of the best places to stay in Bayeux offer family-friendly tours and activities — or refreshing swimming pools for unwinding after days of discovery.
The Best Places to Stay in Bayeux
For an Intimate B&B
- Clos de Bellefontaines is a charming heritage spot in the centre of Bayeux. Pick this B&B for the two large, elegant bedrooms — book both if travelling as a family — as well as the lovely garden and terrace. Intimate, family-run and welcoming.
- Le Petit Matin offers a handful of individually styled rooms in a historic house with leafy gardens near the heart of Bayeux. Indulgent continental breakfasts are served in the spacious dining room. Comfortable and characterful.
- La Colline has just four bedrooms in a 19th-century townhouse. Light, airy and minimalistic, the rooms suit families or groups looking to stay near the centre of town. Book the whole place for a larger family or group trip. Breakfasts are excellent.
- Hotel Tardif is a stunning guesthouse with classical French interiors, including large sash windows, pretty fabrics and antique furniture, in six rooms. Big breakfasts kick-start the day, and the outdoor pool is a real treat after a busy day of exploring. A heritage gem.
For Boutique Charm
- Hotel d'Argouges dates back to the 18th Century, and has retained much of its original charm. With 28 rooms and right in the centre of Bayeux, this is an attractive boutique base for heritage buffs or romantic couples, who will appreciate thoughtful details in high-ceilinged rooms and suites, with tapestries, traditional woodwork and an inviting restaurant.
- Villa Lara promises a five-star stay in historic Bayeux. 30 opulent period rooms feature rich fabrics, antiques and cathedral views. An upmarket boutique pick for an elegant couples' holiday. A delight.
For a Luxury Château
- La Chenevière is a gorgeous manor house with sumptuous rooms and suites, a gourmet French restaurant and an inviting bar. With a pool, tennis courts and enormous rooms, this is a wonderfully pampering choice for a luxury break in the countryside between Bayeux and the coast.
- Château d'Audrieu offers opulent rooms and suites with antique furnishings and contemporary bathrooms in a grand 18th-century residence. The expansive gardens, spa, outdoor pool and tennis court are ideal. Topped off with fantastic regional cuisine, this is a romantic rural escape. Idyllic.
- Château de la Ferrière is a stunning 18th-century building with five traditional guestrooms and indulgent bathrooms between Bayeux and the coast. The 35 acres of gardens and woodland will delight nature lovers, and the saltwater pool is ideal for a cooling dip. For romantics and heritage fans.
- Château Saint Gilles has a charming, intimate feel, with chic, contemporary guestrooms and suites set behind an 18th-century façade. Original fireplaces, windows and period features have been carefully preserved. A luxury choice which will appeal particularly to families, due to the verdant grounds and flexible acommodation options.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Deauville-Saint-Gatien Airport, just over an hour away, or to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, before catching the train onwards to Bayeux. Alternatively, take the train from London St-Pancras (just under 6 hours), drive, or take the ferry across from the UK.
- Normandy is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 22°C in July and August — although this is the busiest time of year. September is a great choice for a quieter trip. Winters can be cool and windy.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Caen.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Normandy.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bayeux
Best Hotels in Bayeux
Hotel d'Argouges Bayeux 28 rooms from £74Active Holiday - 30 minutes drive away from the coast, the hotel allows for a trip to the sea for a hike, walks on the beach or a day out at seaLocal exploring - Discover local shops and follow the fascinating history of Bayeux by roaming through the charming streets of the cityFamilies - The city of bayeux has an incredibly rich heritage to explore with the whole familyGreat walks - 1.5 hours away from Bayeux on a shuttle, is Mont Saint-Michel a must see site in Normandy, known as "La Merveille" in France
A charismatic hotel in the centre of Bayeux. This quiet and spacious house dates back to the 18th century and still keeps its original style. Featuring period living rooms, tapestries and comfortable bedrooms with traditional woodwork, this is a great choice for an authentic stay. See More
Le Petit Matin Bayeux (place charles de gaulle) 5 rooms from £87Local exploring - Well placed to explore historic Bayeux including attractions such as the famed Notre Dame de Bayeux & the Bayeaux TapestryBoutique - Each room is individually styled and interiors feel somewhere between a private home and a smart hotelSights nearby - Marvel at the architecture of Notre-Dame Cathedral of BayeuxGreat walks - Meander through the 19th century Botanical GardensRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming B&B boasting a secluded spot within the heart of Bayeux. A handful of individually styled rooms are traditionally dressed. Indulgent continental breakfasts are served in a light and spacious dining room. An ideal base for exploring the historic town. See More
La Colline Bayeux 4 rooms from £104Groups - With just four bedrooms (two of which are family rooms) this is a good option to rent out in its entirety with friends or familyLocal exploring - Bayeux is a town steeped in history - the Bayeux Tapestry is a short walk away, as is Notre Dame CathedralGreat walks - Take a stroll through the nearby Botanical Garden of BayeuxSights nearby - Visit the famed Museum of the Bayeux Tapestry
A charming 19th century townhouse set in the heart of the historic town of Bayeux. The four bedrooms are light and airy with a simple minimalist feel. A large garden offers a tranquil spot to unwind after a day spent exploring all of Bayeux's historic sights. See More
Hotel Tardif Bayeux 6 rooms from £113Garden - Set within the former park of the botanist Moisson de Vaux, you can expect impressive gardensLocal exploring - An upmarket guesthouse in a lovely part of Normandy with plenty to do in the surrounding areaSights nearby - Make a day trip to the iconic Mont St-Michel or in very close proximity is the Notre Dame CathedralGreat walks - Take a stroll through the pretty Jardin Public de Bayeux
A stunning mansion with classical french design throughout. Lovely, individually designed rooms, with large sash windows, pretty fabrics and antique furniture. An indulgent breakfast is served. Well located to access Bayeux's attractions. Very reasonably priced. A real gem of a property. See More
Clos de Bellefontaines Bayeux, Normandy 2 rooms from £113Local exploring - Well placed for exploring Bayeaux's historical attractions while the D Day landing beaches are nearby tooIntimate - A family-run B&B with just two rooms offering an intimate stay with very friendly hostsGroups - With just two rooms, this is a good option for small groups to take in its entiretyLocal markets - Shop for regional cheeses and cidre at Bayeaux's weekly Saturday marketRecommended by - I Escape
A smart sand-stone fronted B&B in the centre of Bayeux. The two large and elegant bedrooms feature parquet floors, chandeliers, sash windows, and high ceilings. There's a lovely garden and terrace to unwind on after day exploring local historical sites. An intimate stay. See More
Château Saint Gilles Bayeux (Guéron) 9 rooms from £181Hideaway - Nestled outside Bayeux in the sleepy commune of Guéron, this hotel makes a perfect choice for an elegant hideaway holidayCountry Escape - Set in a classic château in Bayeux surrounded by beautiful countryside, book this hotel for a chic rural retreatFamilies - The spacious family suites available and expansive gardens make this ideal for those travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Bayeux, a wonderful example of Norman architecture commissioned by William the Conqueror
This charming hotel is nestled in a converted 18th-century château close to Bayeux in Normandy. Inside, guestrooms and apartments are bright and contemporary, while tall windows and heritage fireplaces attest to the property's heritage - a chic and comfortable place to rest after local sightseeing. See More
Villa Lara, Bayeux Bayeux 30 rooms from £200Local exploring - Well placed in Bayeux’s medieval centre, across from the cathedral and a short distance from the tapestry and the D-Day beachesBoutique - Chic interiors are decorated in a period style but with a fresh modern feel and contemporary luxuriesLocal markets - Browse Bayeux's markets for local produce and handicraftsSights nearby - Steps from the Bayeux Tapestry and D Day landing beaches
An elegant luxury hotel well located in the historic area of Bayeux, just minutes from the Bayeux Tapestry and D-Day landing beaches. Opulent period-style rooms feature rich fabrics, antiques, and most have views of the cathedral. An upmarket hotel to explore the region from. See More
Chateau d'Audrieu Normandy 29 rooms from £227Local exploring - Abundance of sights in the Normandy area, from museums, beaches, galleries, markets and outdoor activitiesCountry Escape - An 18th-century chateau set on a 60-acre estate, this is a very grand country escapeSights nearby - A few kilometres from the coast with the famous D-Day Landing beaches and seaside resorts of the Pearl CoastLocal markets - Daily markets nearby, as well as special night markets and must see morning fish marketsRecommended by - Fodors, Relais & Chateaux
A stunning 18th-century chateau set in beautiful grounds. Opulent rooms feature antique furniture and classic wallpapers. Boasting expansive gardens, an outdoor pool, & tennis court. Fantastic regional cuisine and luxurious interiors have fireplaces and beams. Romantic, gourmet, and very relaxing. See More
Chateau La Cheneviere Bayeux 29 rooms from £237Local exploring - Some of Normandy's most famed attractions are nearby including the Bayeaux Tapestry and D Day landing beachesFoodies - The restaurant serves classical cuisine based on the flavours of NormandySights nearby - Very close to historic Bayeux where the Bayeaux Tapestry amongst aother historical sights can be viewedTennis - Play a game on the hotel's courtRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Small Luxury Hotels
A luxurious 18th-century chateau on the coastline. Traditional and elegant interiors include enormous rooms and suites, a classical French restaurant, and an inviting bar. With a pool and tennis courts within the picturesque grounds - this is the complete package for a french rural getaway. See More
Chateau de la Ferriere Bayeux 5 rooms from £278Local exploring - Ideally located in Normandy between Bayeux, Caen and the Landing Beaches for local exploringCountry Escape - With acres of parkland, this is a grand base for a rural getawaySwimming Pool - Heated outdoor saltwater pool, available for guests to use every afternoonSights nearby - Admire the striking architecture of the Abbey of Saint-Étienne in Caen
A stunning 18th century chateau boasting a scenic and tranquil location just outside Bayeux. A handful of elegant rooms are traditional yet unfussy with a choice selection of antiques, floor to ceiling windows and indulgent bathrooms. A delightful base from which to explore the region. See More