20 of the Best B&Bs in Normandy
Normandy has a really wonderful selection of bed and breakfast accommodation — some destinations really lend themselves to it, and Normandy is definitely one of them! It’s probably partly due to the number of really beautiful, and beautifully preserved, farmhouses and châteaux, which are ripe for conversion into small B&Bs, and in part to the rural surrounds with great swathes of green dotted with charming market towns all the way to the wonderful coastline. It’s also probably partly due to the huge range of things to do here, sights and sites to see, from art galleries, to ancient stone structures and, of course the legacy of World War 2. Whatever the reason to visit, there are lots of excellent options when it comes to B&B accommodation, so many so that, as well as the categories you’d expect, like great Normandy B&Bs for families, and B&Bs in Bayeux and Honfleur, Giverny and Etretat, we’ve also got some great recommendations for B&Bs near the D Day Beaches, and great B&B escapes on our list of 20 of the best B&Bs in Normandy.
Some of the Most Romantic B&Bs in Normandy
- The Manoir de la Fieffe is an elegant, 16th century mansion just outside Cherbourg, surrounded by beautiful manicured gardens and beyond that the quiet countryside. There are four rooms and three suites, plus a private, self-catering cottage for two; all the rooms are simple and traditional, but with some sophisticated touches, like handprinted headboards, or marble fireplaces. The bathrooms are wonderfully up to date. The dining room is equally elegant, and they do meals on the terrace when it's lovely out.
- Beautiful, historic Honfleur is perfect for a romantic stop off, and La Petite Folie might have just the thing for you amongst its collection of six boutique B&B rooms and five self-catering apartments. Everything about this property is cleverly designed, from the smallest room to the largest, and they’ve got some lovely features, like old iron stoves, medieval beams, elegant wood panelling and marble fireplaces, pitched roofs, terracotta floors and funny shaped spaces. They only serve breakfast, but you’re minutes from cafes and restaurants on the waterfront.
- The Château de Beneauville looks very grand for a B&B, which is perfect! Built during the Renaissance, and set on 50 acres, this property is beautiful on the outside, and on the inside, its interiors brimming with elegant antiques, tapestries, oil paintings, traditional wallpapers, carved wood and stone fireplaces with open fires, and some notable French design and patterns. The location, betwee Caen and the coast, is perfect for both explorers and those seeking an active break. But it’s just as much a romantic hideaway. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer a Continental breakfast.
The Best B&Bs for Families
- Le Petit Matin is an elegant B&B in an excellent spot in the heart of Bayeux, which is both secluded and very central — close to the historic centre of town via the 19th century Botanical Gardens. There are just five rooms, each individually decorated in a fairly traditional style, with leafy views from the windows, and not too much in the way of objets d’art for your kids to want to touch! There are numerous elegant spots to relax of an evening and they offer a continental breakfast in the light, spacious dining room each morning.
- If you’d like a bit more space to yourselves, Les Rochers, a lovingly restored 16th century rustic feeling manor house, has a gîte, which is perfect for families wanting their own space. It’s also got a large duplex room, also great for families, and six totally modernised, airy rooms decorated with an eclectic collection of art, furniture and finds. You’re surrounded by fields here, aside form the courtyard, which is perfect for badminton or pétanque. There’s no restaurant, but they can provide gourmet suppers on request.
- Le Clos des Fontaines is a classically French, half timbered house surrounded by its own garden in the quaint village of Jumièges. It has 19 rooms, in a good range of sizes and styles, running all the way from wood panelling, damask and antique opulence, to elegant country-chic with white painted furnishings, or Moroccan-style wood-inlay furnishings. The room sizes are just as varied, so there’s probably something to suit your family to a ’t’. Families will also probably appreciate the large pool, and possibly the spa too. There’s no restaurant but they do offer breakfast.
- Close to Monet’s Giveny, La Dime de Giverny is a converted low manor house, arranged around a central courtyard, with a collection of seven self-catering cottages. Inside the cottages you’ll find a sort of rustic minimalism, with bare brick, or white washed walls, exposed beams and tiled floors, and yet every modern comfort. They offer breakfast, and you’re just a short stroll from numerous restaurants and eateries in the local village. And of course the location is impeccable for seeing all the wonders the Impressionists saw.
For a complete escape
- Built in the 18th century, in a remote and pretty part of Normandy, the Château de la Puisaye looks a lot like a full sized doll’s house: box-shaped, with a neat, facade and lots of big windows. Sprawling parkland and gardens surround it, and while it’s been renovated, it’s not faced the trend to really modernise, so it has an abundance of original features, like a tiled entrance floor, marble fireplaces diminishing in grandeur as you ascend the house, and some lovely wood panelling. There are just five rooms and suites of rooms, some large enough to fit a family very comfortably. And despite the antiques and original features there’s a welcoming atmosphere. There’s also a pool and bikes available for guest use.
- The Château de Bouceel is another property with the look of an elegant doll’s house, though this time one too large to fit on your table… Also built in the 18th century, this five bedroom property has a wonderful collection of antiques, including Louis XVI-style panelling and lovely parquet floors, and some of the bedrooms are quite grand. The garden is big, and there’s a pool too. No restaurant, but they offer a Continental breakfast daily.
- La Bergerie de L'Aqueduc is an elegant, 18th century farmhouse surrounded by a secluded walled garden, in an idyllic rural setting between Versailles and Chartres. Now a four room B&B, this property is both comfortable and rustically elegant, with interiors that range in their design from contemporary to very traditional. This is the ideal spot to come to relax: in the pool, in the garden or in the siting room, and a great base for explorations.
Beautifully Bijou B&Bs
- La Levriere is a charming farmhouse carefully converted into an intimate three room B&B. Well located for exploring Normandy, but surrounded by greenery, this is a peaceful, idyllic escape, where the owners will look after you with a delicious breakfast made from produce grown mainly onsite. The three rooms are fresh and chic, with a clever mix of original features and contemporary style.
- The Moulin de Sevoux runs along similarly charming lines, though this time the lovingly converted property was originally a 19th century water mill, and it now has four B&B rooms. Its exterior is ivy-clad and elegant, and the interiors are quite grand too, one of the bedrooms has a four-poster bed, for example, and the breakfast room has a huge original stone fireplace. Its location, in the Perche Regional Nature Park, makes it popular with walkers, cyclists and horse riders, and it’s surrounded by forest and quaint villages. Two of the rooms are twins, so it’s very workable for families.
- Another of our favourite wonderfully small and rustic conversions is the B&B Les Agapanthes, which is a long, low farmhouse built in 1790, with just two charming B&B rooms. You’re spoilt for choice with original features here, with exposed beams on both floors, open fireplaces and riled floors, but it’s chic too. The location, in a pretty village just outside Giverny, is peaceful, rural and very beautiful, and this little B&B is the perfect match.
The Best B&Bs for the D Day Beaches
- Just two houses away from the seafront in Arromanches les Bains, the D Day Aviators is a townhouse turned four room B&B. You can probably tell from the name what the theme is here, and they have an excellent collection of WW2 aeronautical artefacts, most of which are in the lounge. The rooms have only photographs, and are simple and elegant, with beautiful fireplaces and lighting, wood floors and a balanced use of chintz fabrics. There’s also a courtyard where they have two real propellors, obviously rescued from crash sites.
- In the pretty town of Bénouville, which is a short walk from Pegasus Bridge, and close to Caen, you’ll find the Manoir'Hastings, a renovated 17th century farmhouse with numerous modernised original features, like pitched roofs with big beams and fireplaces made from great slabs of stone. There are just four airy rooms and suites, and a modern French restaurant.
The Best B&Bs in Normandy’s Towns and Villages
- Le Jardin Cathedrale is a large Chartres townhouse turned two room B&B, aptly named for its lush garden and proximity to Chartres Cathedral. The rooms are quite different from each other style-wise; one is a more traditional room with beautiful wallpapers, the other a more modern room with wood panelling painted in dove grey. The public spaces are comfortably elegant, with interesting knick-knacks. And it’s good value as well.
- Honfleur’s La Cour Sainte Catherine is a converted convent just two minutes stroll from the picturesque port, in a pretty street in a really beautiful part of this charming medieval town. Vine-clad on the outside, inside are five rooms, decorated with vintage artwork and posters and a collection of simple, but tasteful furnishings in muted colours. There’s no restaurant, but you’re close to many, and the owners/managers lay on a lovely Continental breakfast.
- Historic Bayeux’s La Colline is a 19th century home with an elegant doll’s house appearance, and four light, airy bedrooms, decorated in a simple manner, with a muted green grey colour scheme. Outside there’s a large, sunny, courtyard-style garden with places to sit and relax. This property is all about the clever blending of the old and the new, and it will probably appeal to those with an interest in smart design. Plus you’re just a short stroll from the tapestry and the cathedral.
- Chez Laurence du Tilly, in the historic heart of Caen, is another small and carefully formed B&B, with just three one bedroom, self-catering apartments. The decor is the sort you’re probably used to seeing in home decor magazines, and the owners are also the managers, so they're on hand for plenty of personal recommendations.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Normandy.
- Or refine your search to just the best places to stay in Bayeux, the best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret, in Honfleur or Giverny.
- You could consider our Guru’s recommendations for 21 of the Best Château Hotels in Normandy.
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Manoir de la Fieffe Cherbourg (Normandy) 7 rooms from £129Country Escape - A charming 16th century rural house set on a picturesque and little known peninsula, the CotentinFamilies - The self catering cottage with plenty of space and a full kitchen is a great choice for familiesGreat walks - Enjoy peaceful walks through the countryside and along the coastSights nearby - A trip to famed Mont Saint-Michel is a real must
An elegant 16th-century mansion in the quiet countryside just 3km from Cherbourg. Expect gorgeous manicured gardens, a fine dining room and a sunny sheltered terrace for meals. Bedrooms are traditional in style but ooze sophistication and bathrooms are bang up to date. Calm, countryside relaxation. See More
Chateau de Beneauville Cabourg 5 rooms from £165Country Escape - A quintessentially french country escape with chic interiors, indulgent breakfast and fantastic walksGroups - With just five rooms, this is ideal to rent out in its entirety for a grand getaway with friendsLocal markets - Sample regional produce at one of the local farmers markets that run throughout the weekSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
A whimsical Renaissance château set within 50 acres of grounds. Interiors brim with character, expect: elegant antiques, tapestries, working fireplaces and classic french patterns. There's plenty to do within the property from fishing to cycling and it's also well positioned to explore the region. See More
La Dime de Giverny 27620 Giverny 7 rooms from £200Local exploring - The historic Vexin region is great to explore, with its valleys, the forest of Lyons, abbeys, castles and beautiful parksFamilies - The two gites (one larger than the other) offer chic multi-room spaces for families looking for independenceSights nearby - Check out Monet’s beautiful house and garden, the castle of La Roche-Guyon and the 800 year-old Château GaillardOutstanding location - Situated in a secluded part of the village away from most of the tourist traffic
A historic Giverny guesthouse offering rooms in the house or self-catering cottages. Rooms are pared-back yet stylish, combining rustic charm and elegance with hardwood floors, bare brick walls, wooden beams & chic furnishings. Breakfast is served, while village eateries are within walking distance. See More
La Petite Folie Honfleur, Normandy 11 rooms from £137Groups - Apartments sleep up to four making this a good option for small groups of friends or (older) familiesLocal exploring - Located just a stone’s throw for the Vieux Bassin quarter, there is plenty to explore locallySights nearby - Visit Honfleur's picturesque old harbour and view historic attractions such as Saint Catherine’s ChurchRestrictions on children - Over 10s in two apartments only
A fabulous boutique B&B with rooms and self-catering apartments. Individually designed rooms are decorated with great attention to detail. Expect cosy fireplaces, vaulted ceilings, and a fresh modern feel. Stylish and well-positioned in Honfleur, this is ideal for independent travellers. See More
Le Petit Matin Bayeux (place charles de gaulle) 5 rooms from £87Local exploring - Well placed to explore historic Bayeux including attractions such as the famed Notre Dame de Bayeux & the Bayeaux TapestryBoutique - Each room is individually styled and interiors feel somewhere between a private home and a smart hotelSights nearby - Marvel at the architecture of Notre-Dame Cathedral of BayeuxGreat walks - Meander through the 19th century Botanical GardensRecommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Bouceel Normandy 5 rooms from £152Historic - 18th Century Chateau which is registered as a historic building and has been in the same family for generationsCountry Escape - A grand chateau set in beautiful mature parklands, a destination unto its own and a regal rural escapeLocal exploring - The perfect location for exploring the Bay of Mont St MichelFull of character - Stunning interiors which will transport you back in time to the 18th century
A gorgeous 18th-century chateau steeped in history. Bedrooms provide character and comfort in equal measure with pretty furnishings, wall panelling and parquet flooring. The garden and swimming pool offer a spot for relaxation after a day of exploring. A grand country escape. See More
La Levriere Normandy 4 rooms from £82Total relaxation - At La Levriere it's all about slowing down and reconnecting to nature. You're bound to go home feeling completely chilledCountry Escape - A rural idyll in a pretty corner of Normandy complete with friendly hosts and delicious organic breakfastsGroups - With just four rooms this is a great option to take in its entirety with friends or familyLocal markets - Explore the local markets in Gisors open on Friday and Sunday morningsRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming converted farmhouse offering cosy accommodation and delicious home-made breakfasts with the majority of the produce grown on site. Interiors are fresh and chic with a clever of mix of original features and contemporary style. A relaxing low key stay in the heart of Normandy. See More
La Bergerie de L'Aqueduc Chartres 4 rooms from £156Country Escape - Classic country stay surrounded by beautiful rose filled groundsRomantic Break - Cosy rooms with open fireplaces are made for romanceLocal markets - Pick your way through the local market in HouxGreat walks - Enjoy lovely walks along the Voise Canal
A charming, secluded B&B set in an 18th-century farmhouse. Offering four comfortable rooms, each are individually decorated with views looking out onto the garden. The garden itself is perfect for a relaxing afternoon and features a heated outdoor pool. Ideal for a romantic weekend away. See More
Moulin de Sevoux Normandy 4 rooms from £95Country Escape - An idyllic landscape of forests, hedges, meadows and hills dotted with manor houses, farms and traditional villagesLocal exploring - Well positioned to explore the lovely countryside and architecture of The PercheBack to Nature - Le Perche Regional Nature Park is a popular destination for nature loversGreat walks - The many footpaths of Le Perche Regional Nature Park are great for keen walkers
Lovingly restored 19th-century water mill in the heart of the Perche Regional Nature Park and Normandy's horse-breeding country. Four rooms, one with a four-poster, are furnished in a pretty traditional style. Rest and recharge your batteries or explore the idyllic countryside and quaint villages. See More
Chateau de la Puisaye Verneuil d’Avre & d’Iton 5 rooms from £86Country Escape - A quintessential slice of rural France with chic interiors, beautiful countryside, plenty of animals, and fabulous food and wineFamilies - The hotel's myriad of animals will be a hit with kids as will the large gardens and outdoor poolGreat walks - Take long walks through the scenic countryside starting straight from the propertyFishing - Spend a day fishing in the carp pond (fishing tackle is provided)Recommended by - Sawdays
A beautiful 18th-century chateau set within sprawling grounds. Traditionally styled throughout expect high ceilings, working fireplaces, chintz fabrics and elegant antiques. Indulgent breakfasts are served using local produce, there's a large pool and bikes to explore the area. See More
Les Rochers Normandy 6 rooms from £130Families - Duplex accommodation or the cottage are ideal for families while cots and toys are available for families with young childrenLocal exploring - Located between the beaches and Bayeaux, guests can choose a day of culture or a quite day by the seaCountry Escape - A charming rural house offering a secluded location surrounded by lovely walking countrySights nearby - The Bayeux Tapestry and D-Day beaches are easily accessible
B&B accommodation in a lovingly restored 16th-century manor house. Inside, airy rooms boast an eclectic collection of art and furniture ranging from classic to art deco to contemporary. Gourmet dinners are available on request. The duplex room & gîte are ideal for families. A tranquil rural escape. See More
B&B Les Agapanthes Giverny (Gasny) 2 rooms from £86Local exploring - Find a number of popular cultural attractions in the nearby region including chateaux and museumsHideaway - A pretty rural guesthouse ideal for quiet country retreatsSights nearby - Chateau de Bizy and the Musée Alphonse-Georges Poulain in nearby Vernon are definitely worth a visitGreat walks - Situated in a charming country village with many pretty walks to discover
A quaint country house, dating back to 1790, set on the outskirts of Gasny. Interiors are charmingly rustic, yet elegant, with wooden beams and open fires accompanied by antiques and chic country furnishings. Rooms are bright, simple yet cosy. Expect hearty breakfasts and utterly tranquil surrounds. See More
Le Clos des Fontaines Jumièges, Normandy 19 rooms from £107Country Escape - A classically French half timbered house set within the Boucles de la Seine nature park. Ideal for a rural hideawayValue chic - With its grand setting, elegant interiors, outdoor pool, and a spa - you are getting alot for your money hereSpa - A 100 m² space equipped with two saunas, a hot tub, a hammam, and a wide treatment listGreat walks - Hike through the picturesque countryside surrounding the property
A traditional rural property set in the picturesque village of Jumièges. Individually styled rooms are light and spacious, the best feature wood panelled walls. A spoiling spa aids total relaxation and there are numerous sporting and cultural activities in the surrounding area. See More
D day Aviators Arromanches les Bains 4 rooms from £112Local exploring - As the name suggests the hotel is ideal for exploring the region's historical sites including the D Day Museum & Arromanches 360Groups - With just four rooms this is a great option to rent out in its entirety with friends or familySights nearby - Bayeaux's attractions are nearby including the Cathedrale Notre Dame de Bayeux and the Bayeux Tapestry MuseumFull of character - The property is filled with genuine artefacts from the D Day landingsRecommended by - Sawdays
A small and charmingly atmospheric B&B situated in the heart of Arromanches. Lovingly renovated throughout the property is light, bright and mixes traditional and contemporary styles. Housing its own small WW2 museum and within striking distance of the region's historical sights. See More
Manoir'Hastings 14970, Normandy 4 rooms from £154Local exploring - With the Bayeaux Tapestry & D Day Landing beaches nearby, this is well placed to explore some of Normandy's historical sitesShort break - Well positioned just 10 minutes from Caen and 2 hours from ParisFoodies - Sample exemplary modern french cuisine at the hotel's restaurantSights nearby - History on your doorstep - the Bayeux Tapestry is only 40km away
A renovated 17th-century farmhouse in Benouville. Four chic rooms are light and airy with a perfect mix of contemporary and traditional styles. Boasting a fabulous restaurant serving modern French cuisine. Walking distance from Pegasus Bridge, (a pivotal D-day site) and Caen is nearby. See More
Le Jardin Cathedrale Chartres 2 rooms from £104Local exploring - Well positioned near the Notre-Dame Cathedral and with many other of the city's main attractions nearbyShort break - Located just 80km from Paris, this is an easy option for a quick weekend getawayLocal markets - Guests can explore the local markets of Chartres and shop for regional produceSights nearby - Cathédrale de Chartres is two minutes walk away, as is the Municipal theatre
A charming little B&B located a stone's throw from Chartres' magnificent cathedral. The ornate rooms with beautiful wall papers and charming knick-knacks give the place real character. The perfect place to stay for a weekend of exploring the picturesque Norman city of Chartres. See More
La Cour Sainte Catherine Honfleur 5 rooms from £139Families - A self-catering house with a fully equipped kitchen and space to sleep up to six is ideal for familiesLocal exploring - Just two minutes walk from Honfleur port and many other attractionsLocal markets - There are a vast array of markets in Honfleur from night markets, to traditional markets and second hand goodsSights nearby - Five minutes walk away is the Port of Honleur that dates back to the Vikings
A beautiful vine-clad convent, turned B&B, in the picturesque town of Honfleur. Shabby-chic rooms are comfortable and spacious and feature vintage artwork and posters. A continental breakfast is served and there are restaurants within walking distance. A homely stay suited to families or couples. See More
La Colline Bayeux 4 rooms from £104Groups - With just four bedrooms (two of which are family rooms) this is a good option to rent out in its entirety with friends or familyLocal exploring - Bayeux is a town steeped in history - the Bayeux Tapestry is a short walk away, as is Notre Dame CathedralGreat walks - Take a stroll through the nearby Botanical Garden of BayeuxSights nearby - Visit the famed Museum of the Bayeux Tapestry
Chez Laurence du Tilly Caen 3 rooms from £131Local exploring - Situated in the pretty historic centre of Caen with a wealth of sights and hotspots on the doorstepFamilies - Two of the apartments sleep up to four making them a comfortable option for familiesApartment - The B&B comprises of three independent unitsSights nearby - Head to sights such as Abbaye aux dames, Abbayes aux hommes and the Château Ducal, “Le Vaugueux”Recommended by - Sawdays
A delightful B&B in the historic centre comprising of three self-catering one-bedroom apartments. Interiors are cosy and homely with a chic and sophisticated charm created by statement lamps, patterned carpets and comfy sofas. An ideal city crash pad with a home-away-from-home feel. See More