Search the best hotels in Otranto
Otranto sits on the Eastern coast of Italy’s ‘boot’, and lies in the Puglia region - once famous for its horses. The town has a colourful history and the best places to stay in Otranto are a perfect base for discovering this beautiful part of Italy.
The Strait of Otranto connects the Adriatic and Ionian Seas. The lighthouse of Faro della Palascia, three miles to the South East, marks the most Easterly point of the Italian mainland. Albania lies directly opposite, and 31 miles to the South stretches the promontory of Santa Maria di Leusa - the South Eastern extremity of Italy.
Greek in origin, Otranto has variously been a Roman port (Hydruntum), in the fifteenth century the city was invaded by the Ottomans (the 800 ‘Martyrs of Otranto’ were canonised in 2013) and during the Napoleonic wars it was a French garrison.
This is also a great place to simply relax, walk and enjoy the coastline with its beaches, bars and restaurants and the its mediterranean climate.
What not to miss:
- Visit the five sided Castello Aragonese.
- Make a trip to the 11th century Cathedral with its mosaic floor and rose window.
- The Church of San Pedro and its Byzantine frescoes is worthy of a viewing.
- Be sure to stop by the catacombs of Torre Pinta.
Puglia is an increasing popular summer destination, so if you want to ensure a room in one of the best places to stay in Otranto during July or August, you'll need to get organised and book well ahead.
For city centre romance
- Palazzo de Mori is an historic 10 bedroomed hotel and family home overlooking the port. The interiors are elegant white-on-white and the atmosphere is calm and relaxed. Situated in the heart of the town, close to the Cathedral, there's a fabulous roof terrace with sublime sea views. This is a perfect romantic choice with no children under 12 allowed!
For affordable luxury
- Relais Valle Dell’idro is an elegant luxury hotel with rooftop solarium from which you can enjoy panoramic views, just five minute's walk from the town centre. It's close to the beaches, chic and romantic and it's an ideal spot for walking, enjoying the seaside or the various delights of town. Small doubles start from as little as €75 per night.
For a countryside retreat
- Masseria Montelauro oozes style with its whitewashed exterior and chic contemporary interior. This smart rural hotel is a popular honeymoon destination. In addition to total relaxation, it specialises in excellent local cuisine (you can hone your skills at one of their cookery classes). Situated in tranquil farmland, this is idyllic walking country.
- Masseria Panareo is another stunning farmhouse conversion ideal for both beaches and sightseeing. Set amid olive trees, you'll find cool chic interiors where modern amenities sit side by side antique furnishings. Plus there's a pool and excellent restaurant.
For an apartment
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- The best airport for Otranto is Brindisi, though if you're travelling around Puglia, Bari is another possibility. Otranto can be reached by rail - a picturesque if rather slow method of travel. Otranto is on a little branch line from Maglie operated by the Ferrovie Sud Est (FSE). At Maglie there are connections to Lecce, Gallipoli and Gagliano del Capo.
- Best time to visit - Otranto is a year round destination due to the comfortable Mediterranean climate with hot sunny summers and mild winters.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse all the best places to stay in Otranto.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations throughout Puglia.
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Otranto
Best Hotels in Otranto
Relais valle dell'Idro Otranto 27 rooms from £82Romantic Break - With a rooftop hot tub and a spoiling spa, this is the perfect romantic escapeLocal exploring - Well placed to enjoy the Otranto old town and the Adriatic SeaSights nearby - Visit the piscturesque Cathedral of OtrantoGreat walks - Walk the many stunning beaches of Otranto
Elegant luxury hotel, which boasts a stunning roof top solarium with panoramic views of the sea, and hot tub. Contemporary rooms feature wooden floors, crisp linen, and striking lamps. Just a five minute walk from the centre of town and easy access to local beaches. A chic, romantic choice. See More
Masseria Panareo Otranto 18 rooms from £83Foodies - The restaurant serves innovative regional dishes using olive oil from the farmCountry Escape - A beautiful converted farm surrounded by pine forests and overlooking the seaRestaurant - Serves delicious local cuisine featuring plenty of seafoodTennis - Play a game on the nearby tennis court
Stylish farmhouse conversion surrounded by olive trees and stunning scenery. Rooms are dotted round the grounds & offer classic country style with vaulted stone ceilings and four poster beds. The restaurant serves Italian dishes on the outdoor terrace. Perfect for both beaches & sightseeing. See More
Palazzo de Mori Otranto 10 rooms from £113Beach Life - Located right in the heart of the old town but just a short stroll from the beachCity Style - Quaint, stylish interiors in the heart of townSights nearby - Cathedral of OtrantoRestrictions on children - Children over 12
Tenuta Centoporte Resort Otranto (Giurdignano- Località) 37 rooms from £130Romantic Break - The elegant, intimate rooms coupled with great restaurant and lovely gardens make it the perfect spot for a romantic break.Local exploring - A relaxing haven set amidst rolling olive groves, head off on a bike and explore the Salento region.Sights nearby - Culture vultures must visit the nearby Castello di Otranto to learn about the areas history.Great walks - There are plenty of beautiful walks through the surrounding olive groves.
Serenity pervades throughout the lovely Tenuta Centoporte, just outside Otranto. All components come together to create a harmonious atmosphere, with stylish rooms, a heavenly outdoor pool and deliciously prepared meals from the Salento region. Perfect for a relaxing romantic break. See More
Masseria Montelauro Otranto 29 rooms from £156Honeymoons - A tranquil and romantic spot for honeymooners, each of the elegant suites faces onto the gardens and the soothing countryside.Cooking classes - The hotel organises cooking classes, learn to whip up your favourite dishes frm the menu.Sights nearby - Explore the lovely Otranto, with its lively bars, restaurants and squat Aragonese castle.Great walks - Take a wander around the lush gardens, or further a field into this scenic landscape.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
Relaxed retreat with a contemporary twist surrounded by olive trees, vines and date palms. Sophisticated, airy white on white rooms with cool flagstone floors, delicate wrought iron beds, Pugliese embroidery and Moroccan lamps. Lovely pool, local food and stunning surrounding farmland. See More