- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Lecce
Frequently referred to as a 'baroque masterpiece', Lecce has been beautifully constructed from soft, pale local sandstone and is a fancy for those with fancy tastes. The elaborate architecture peaks on the hilltop at the centre of town with the Piazza del Duomo around the cathedral. Then there is the decorative masterpiece the Basilica di Santa Croce. This is where some of the best places to stay in Lecce can be found. As well as an architectural triumph, Lecce is fascinating historically and is the largest town on Puglia's beach-tastic Solento peninsula. So this is a wonderful base for anyone who enjoys mixing the sun and sand with a bit of cultural exploration.
What not to miss:
- The area around the cathedral is where most of Lecce's most famous sights are crowded in amongst the spider's web of lovely streets and piazzas.
- Santa Croce is probably where the baroque designs are at their most fantastical, but the Chiesa del Rosario, the Chirsa dei SS Nicolo e Cataldo and the Chiesa de Santa are also worth seeking out.
- Lecce's main gate the Porta Napoli is based on a Roman triumphal arch and is impossible not to notice and appreciate. As is the castle, built originally in the 12th Century and spruced up in the 16th Century because it wasn't looking fancy enough.
- Exploring Lecce's fascinating history is easy. First stop should be the Museo Provinciale where you are informed of 10,000 years of history - starting with the Palaeolithic.
- Then on to the Museo Faggiano, a private home with layers of history beneath its floorboards.
- Then visit the Roman Amphitheatre where there is horseshoe seating for 15,000 people, from the 2nd Century it was discovered underneath a piazza in 1901.
- Lecce is also a great place to visit for foodies. There are several cooking schools here so it's a good place to learn more about the typical rustic dishes of the region's cuisine. There are also plenty of food and wine tours you can join.
Whether it's food, history or culture this city has something for everyone and our list the best places to stay in Lecce also have something for everyone.
The best places to stay in Lecce
For central location
- If you're in love with Lecce's baroque masterpieces and want to stay in one, book Palazzo Persone. Built in the 16th Century, some of the nicest original features have been retained in the refurbishment. Each of the six rooms has its own special something - 'Sinagoga' for example, has the stone columns from the synagogue which once stood on this site. The small size means this is perfect for somewhere relaxing and home-from-home.
For a peaceful spot
- La Fiermontina is a little haven in the centre of Lecce. Showcasing architecture that reflects local style, this tranquil boutique is nestled amidst olive groves. Delicious food and elegant rooms are the hallmarks of this delightful hotel.
- Mantatelure is a gorgeous 16th century mansion that oozes elegance and charm. Each of the six luxurious rooms is carefully designed with minimalist furnishings and well-selected art. A wonderfully romantic spot to relax.
For five star luxury
- If you're looking for a modern hotel the Risorgimento Resort is the one. The building is elegant and simple - very simple for Lecce's standards - and inside you're greeted by five stars worth of mod. cons in elegant colours and sharp, clever design. The spa is good, the roof terrace has wonderful views and there's both a restaurant and a bistro.
- The Patria Palace is ideal if you're looking for traditional comforts. For many years this wonderful hotel with its frescoes, fancy stucco work and cherry wood furniture was the only decent place to stay in Lecce. There are now other options, but this is still the place if you're looking traditional five star hospitality and comfort. The spa is small but good, the restaurant is small but lovely, the views from the roof terrace are unbeatable and the location, right opposite the wonderful basilica, can't be beaten.
For great value
- Just off Sant'Oronzo Square, Palazzo Gorgoni is an elegant B&B. With four charming rooms that feature high ceilings and tasteful furnishings, it's a great base from which to explore Lecce.
- With its beautiful courtyard garden filled with orange trees and large, welcoming rooms, L'Orangerie d'Epoque is great for families or groups. There are only three rooms and a suite - two which have their own kitchenettes and one which has a huge working fireplace. All have access to the garden. And all are decorated with antiques and family heirlooms - the palazzo was built by the present owner's grew grandfather in 1878.
For an apartment or villa
- Browse the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Lecce is Brindsi (32 miles).
- For those looking to hire a car, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Lecce is from May to September, when the temperatures sit comfortably in the twenties.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Lecce
Patria Palace 63 rooms from £89Lecce
Traditional comforts and great hospitality in the heart of town. Behind the lovely Lecce stone facade the bedrooms contain frescoes, stucco work, cherry wood furniture and rich fabrics. A lovely little restaurant, small spa and gorgeous roof top terrace with views of Lecce.City Style - Fantastic service, elegant rooms and historic charm in the heart of LecceSights nearby - Santa Croce BasilicaGreat walks - Sant’Oronzo squareTraditional
Risorgimento Resort 47 rooms from £123Lecce
High-tech luxury and stylish contemporary design in a lovely old building. The five-star hotel combines earthy hues and local materials with sleek modernism. Elegant roof top restaurant serves local dishes, and has great city views. Spa and meeting facilities. City style for the mainstream.City Style - A chic hotel with panoramic rooftop views of Lecce’s Baroque historic centre.Great walks - The Botanical Garden on Via Provinciale LecceLocal markets - Visit local craftsmen on Via PalmieriSights nearby - Piazza Sant'OronzoRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Palazzo Personè 6 rooms from £55Lecce
Located in an old 16th-century Synagogue, this charming B&B has bedrooms with original stone walls, high ceilings and calming natural colours. Palazzo Personè also boasts an extraordinary Baroque facade, cafe and cellar restaurant with wine bar. A great spot for exploring this ancient city.Value chic - Stylish accommodation at an equally attractive priceGreat walks - Via Libertini and Piazza del DuomoSwimming Pool - Pool and wellness lounge.Sights nearby - Amphitheatre Romano
L'Orangerie d'Epoque 3 rooms from £79Lecce
Three pretty bedrooms and a gorgeous garden in a family palazzo. Antique furniture, stone fireplaces and period vaulted ceilings - two bedrooms have kitchenettes and access to the garden. Plus there is a larger suite ideal for families. A great value choice.Families - The suite sleeps four plus there are self-catering facilitiesValue chic - Stylish, relaxed accommodation at a great priceLocal markets - Visit charming local craft marketsGreat walks - Guided tours available
Santa Chiara 21 rooms from £101Lecce
Elegant hotel in city centre. Rooms feature wooden floors, creamy fabrics and big marble bathrooms. Roof terrace, gym and bar. Minutes from historical city sights; ideal for exploring as a city break.Local exploring - Situated opposite Must gallery and close to the Cathedral, hotel has a romantic roof terrace bar to enjoy an apertif and viewsSights nearby - Roman Amphitheatre; Cathedral of LecceCooking classes - In town- hotel can adviseTraditional
Palazzo Rollo 6 rooms from £53Lecce
Characterful B&B. Unique rooms have tiled floors, traditional fabrics and antique furniture. There is a charming breakfast room, lounge room and rooftop garden terrace. Ivy clad facade, a very welcoming stay at excellent value.Groups - For a small group, hotel's self catering apartments are ideal to prepare Italian picnics before a day of history or bike rideCooking classes - Awaiting Table Italian Cooking SchoolSights nearby - Piazza del DuomoTraditional
Mantatelure 6 rooms from £137Lecce (Le Palmeraie S.r.l.)
Refined sixteenth century mansion in a quiet corner of stunning Baroque Lecce with six modern, elegant rooms. Guests can enjoy a freshly baked Italian breakfast or sip glasses of prosecco in the exclusive garden terrace beneath the citrus trees, or relax in the hot tub. The perfect romantic getaway.Local markets - Explore local coffee shops and street markets.Sights nearby - Basilica di Santa Croce on Via UmbertoRecommended by - I Escape
Palazzo Gorgoni 4 rooms from £61Lecce, Puglia
Graceful B&B near Sant'Oronzo Square in the centre of Lecce. Huge, light-filled bedrooms with sandstone walls, parquet floors, and elegant furniture. A great value spot, and family friendly too.Value chicSights nearby - Located bang in the centre of LecceLocal markets - Good for local colour.
La Fiermontina 16 rooms from £174Lecce
A small corner of tranquility in central Lecce. Bearing distinctive local architecture, the hotel's minimalist aesthetic is complimented by pinnacled ceilings and tasteful modern art. Relax by the swimming pool, surrounded by olive groves, and enjoy some delicious Pugliese cuisine.Total relaxation - A modern retreat in the heart of town - an urban idyllRomantic Break - A great escape to take a loved oneSights nearby - Within five minutes walk of Basilica of Santa Croce, Roman Amphitheatre and Duomo Square.Local markets - Browse the local markets of Lecce.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith