Search the best hotels in Lecce
Frequently referred to as a 'baroque masterpiece', Lecce has been beautifully constructed from soft, pale local sandstone and is a fancy for those with fancy tastes. The elaborate architecture peaks on the hilltop at the centre of town with the Piazza del Duomo around the cathedral. Then there is the decorative masterpiece the Basilica di Santa Croce. This is where some of the best places to stay in Lecce can be found. As well as an architectural triumph, Lecce is fascinating historically and is the largest town on Puglia's beach-tastic Solento peninsula. So this is a wonderful base for anyone who enjoys mixing the sun and sand with a bit of cultural exploration.
What not to miss:
- The area around the cathedral is where most of Lecce's most famous sights are crowded in amongst the spider's web of lovely streets and piazzas.
- Santa Croce is probably where the baroque designs are at their most fantastical, but the Chiesa del Rosario, the Chirsa dei SS Nicolo e Cataldo and the Chiesa de Santa are also worth seeking out.
- Lecce's main gate the Porta Napoli is based on a Roman triumphal arch and is impossible not to notice and appreciate. As is the castle, built originally in the 12th Century and spruced up in the 16th Century because it wasn't looking fancy enough.
- Exploring Lecce's fascinating history is easy. First stop should be the Museo Provinciale where you are informed of 10,000 years of history - starting with the Palaeolithic.
- Then on to the Museo Faggiano, a private home with layers of history beneath its floorboards.
- Then visit the Roman Amphitheatre where there is horseshoe seating for 15,000 people, from the 2nd Century it was discovered underneath a piazza in 1901.
- Lecce is also a great place to visit for foodies. There are several cooking schools here so it's a good place to learn more about the typical rustic dishes of the region's cuisine. There are also plenty of food and wine tours you can join.
Whether it's food, history or culture this city has something for everyone and our list the best places to stay in Lecce also have something for everyone.
The best places to stay in Lecce
For central location
- If you're in love with Lecce's baroque masterpieces and want to stay in one, book Palazzo Persone. Built in the 16th Century, some of the nicest original features have been retained in the refurbishment. Each of the six rooms has its own special something - 'Sinagoga' for example, has the stone columns from the synagogue which once stood on this site. The small size means this is perfect for somewhere relaxing and home-from-home.
For a peaceful spot
- La Fiermontina is a little haven in the centre of Lecce. Showcasing architecture that reflects local style, this tranquil boutique is nestled amidst olive groves. Delicious food and elegant rooms are the hallmarks of this delightful hotel.
- Mantatelure is a gorgeous 16th century mansion that oozes elegance and charm. Each of the six luxurious rooms is carefully designed with minimalist furnishings and well-selected art. A wonderfully romantic spot to relax.
For five star luxury
- If you're looking for a modern hotel the Risorgimento Resort is the one. The building is elegant and simple - very simple for Lecce's standards - and inside you're greeted by five stars worth of mod. cons in elegant colours and sharp, clever design. The spa is good, the roof terrace has wonderful views and there's both a restaurant and a bistro.
- The Patria Palace is ideal if you're looking for traditional comforts. For many years this wonderful hotel with its frescoes, fancy stucco work and cherry wood furniture was the only decent place to stay in Lecce. There are now other options, but this is still the place if you're looking traditional five star hospitality and comfort. The spa is small but good, the restaurant is small but lovely, the views from the roof terrace are unbeatable and the location, right opposite the wonderful basilica, can't be beaten.
For great value
- Just off Sant'Oronzo Square, Palazzo Gorgoni is an elegant B&B. With four charming rooms that feature high ceilings and tasteful furnishings, it's a great base from which to explore Lecce.
- With its beautiful courtyard garden filled with orange trees and large, welcoming rooms, L'Orangerie d'Epoque is great for families or groups. There are only three rooms and a suite - two which have their own kitchenettes and one which has a huge working fireplace. All have access to the garden. And all are decorated with antiques and family heirlooms - the palazzo was built by the present owner's grew grandfather in 1878.
For an apartment or villa
- Browse the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Lecce is Brindsi (32 miles).
- For those looking to hire a car, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Lecce is from May to September, when the temperatures sit comfortably in the twenties.
Still not sure?
- Expand your seach to include all the best places to stay in Puglia?
- consider one of our recommendations for the best wine hotels in Chianti?
- or call or email one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Lecce
Best Hotels in Lecce
Palazzo Rollo Lecce 6 rooms from £61Local exploring - Set in the heart of historic Lecce beside the tower bell of the Duomo and with most of the city's sights within walking distanceGroups - The self catering apartments are ideal for small groupsCooking classes - Take a cooking class at the Awaiting Table Italian Cooking SchoolSights nearby - Piazza del Duomo
Palazzo Gorgoni Lecce, Puglia 4 rooms from £61Local exploring - Set beside the Sant'Oronzo Square in the historical quarter, most of Lecce's historical sites are a walk awaySights nearby - Visit the old Greek Theatre and the Benedictine Monastery (the oldest Monastery of the city)Great walks - Take a stroll through the pretty gardens, the Villa Comunale di LecceLocal markets - Good for local colour.
L'Orangerie d'Epoque Lecce 3 rooms from £78Families - The suite sleeps four plus there are self-catering facilitiesValue chic - Stylish, relaxed accommodation at a great priceLocal markets - Visit charming local craft marketsGreat walks - Guided tours available
Le Bifore Charming House Lecce 6 rooms from £87Local exploring - This hotel is perfect for local sightseeing in baroque Lecce, with many of the main city attractions within walking distanceCity Style - Set in the heart of Lecce in a historic property with contemporary interiors, this hotel has reams of chic city styleRomantic Break - These beautifully appointed suites make an idyllic setting for a romantic city breakSights nearby - Visit the Basilica di Santa Croce, a 17th-century baroque church with a facade made of intricate figures and a rosette window
This hotel offers contemporary suites in the heart of baroque Lecce, overlooking the sights of the historic centre. Inside the heritage property, spacious suites have whitewashed walls set off with unique objets d'art and unusual design pieces, creating an effortlessly stylish pied-à-terre. See More
Patria Palace Lecce 63 rooms from £88Local exploring - Boasting an enviable location infront of the Santa Croce Church, with most of the major attractions a stroll awayCity Style - Fantastic service, elegant rooms and historic charm in the heart of LecceGreat walks - Take a stroll through the pretty Sant’Oronzo squareSights nearby - Visit the nearby Santa Croce Basilica
Traditional comforts and great hospitality in the heart of town. Behind the lovely Lecce stone facade the bedrooms contain frescoes, stucco work, cherry wood furniture and rich fabrics. A lovely little restaurant, small spa and gorgeous roof top terrace with views of Lecce. See More
Santa Chiara Lecce 21 rooms from £100Local exploring - Situated opposite Must gallery and close to the Cathedral, hotel has a romantic roof terrace bar to enjoy an apertif and viewsSights nearby - Roman Amphitheatre; Cathedral of LecceCooking classes - In town- hotel can adviseTraditional
Mantatelure Lecce (Le Palmeraie S.r.l.) 6 rooms from £137Romantic Break - Featuring romantic rooms, a courtyard hot tub (where prosecco is served) and a grown-up feel, this is perfect for couplesLocal exploring - Well located near the iconic Baroque Basilica Santa Croce yet in a quiet untouristy neighbourhoodSights nearby - Visit the beautiful Basilica di Santa Croce on Via UmbertoLocal markets - Explore local coffee shops and street marketsRecommended by - I Escape
Refined sixteenth century mansion in a quiet corner of stunning Baroque Lecce with six modern, elegant rooms. Guests can enjoy a freshly baked Italian breakfast or sip glasses of prosecco in the exclusive garden terrace beneath the citrus trees, or relax in the hot tub. The perfect romantic getaway. See More
Risorgimento Resort Lecce 47 rooms from £121City Style - A chic hotel with panoramic rooftop views of Lecce’s Baroque historic centre.Spa - Featuring a hammam calidarium with Turkish bath, multisensory showers plus beauty center for a range of body and face treatmentsGreat walks - The Botanical Garden on Via Provinciale LecceLocal markets - Visit local craftsmen on Via PalmieriRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
High-tech luxury and stylish contemporary design in a lovely old building. The five-star hotel combines earthy hues and local materials with sleek modernism. Elegant roof top restaurant serves local dishes, and has great city views. Spa and meeting facilities. City style for the mainstream. See More
Palazzo Personè Lecce 6 rooms from £150Local exploring - Ideally placed in the heart of the city with most of the attractions within walking distanceValue chic - Stylish accommodation at an equally attractive priceSights nearby - visit the nearby Amphitheatre Romano and Piazza MazziniLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Palazzo de Noha Lecce 10 rooms from £165Local exploring - Set in the heart of the city with many of the main attractions within walking distanceCity Style - A stylish design hotel filled with antiques and artworksSights nearby - Visit the 17th century Basilica di Sante Croce and admire its stunning Baroque facadeSwimming Pool - Small plunge pool on the roof terrace
A boutique property in the heart of historic Lecce. The old building has been renovated by its art-loving owners and now also boasts a superb contemporary art gallery. Rooms are spacious and bright with a simple white-on-white-style, and there's the added bonus of a roof terrace with plunge pool. See More
La Fiermontina Lecce 16 rooms from £172Total relaxation - A modern retreat in the heart of town - an urban idyllRomantic Break - A great escape to take a loved oneSights nearby - Within five minutes walk of Basilica of Santa Croce, Roman Amphitheatre and Duomo Square.Local markets - Browse the local markets of Lecce.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A small corner of tranquility in central Lecce. Bearing distinctive local architecture, the hotel's minimalist aesthetic is complimented by pinnacled ceilings and tasteful modern art. Relax by the swimming pool, surrounded by olive groves, and enjoy some delicious Pugliese cuisine. See More
Palazzo Bozzi Corso Lecce 10 rooms from £382Local exploring - Lecce is steeped in rich Puglian culture, step out the door and explore the city by footFoodies - There is no shortage of fine foods and wines to be sampled in LecceSights nearby - There is an abundance of Renaissance architecture to see in Lecce, particularly the Santa Croce church and Lecce CathedralCooking classes - Your hosts offer to arrange cooking classes with a private local chefRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This 18th-century palazzo has retained its original grandeur. The elegant rooms feature high ceilings, fireplaces and simple modern furniture with french windows overlooking the palazzo courtyard. The contemporary artworks are a nice touch. Historically rich and very central. See More