Search the best hotels in Guildford
While there are places to stay within Guildford proper, our Gurus are more drawn to the charming country house hotels and inns in the pretty villages and forests surrounding the town. So our list of the best places to stay in Guildford is really focused more on the best places to stay around Guildford. On their list are some treasures uncovered in nearby Chiddingford Green, Cobham, Farnborough and Bagshot.
Surrey has a reputation for being pretty and well-heeled, but Guildford is its only Royal town. The medieval castle was used by the English kings in the 15th century. Positioned between London and the docks at Portsmouth made it a popular stopover for travellers. It didn’t really come into its own until becoming a commuter town during the 20th century. Now it’s a large county town with many of the amenities of a city.
If you’re staying in Guildford, or roundabout, it is worth visiting the Guildhall, castle, cathedral, The Spike Workhouse and ‘Chestnuts’, Lewis Carroll’s home. Just outside town you’ll find several National Trust properties including Clandon Park, Italianate home of the Earls of Onslow, Hatchlands Park and Leith Hill.
Guildford is also close to the Surrey Hills, Wisley Gardens, one of the Royal Horticultural Society’s top gardens, Denbies Vineyard and the wonderful lookouts at Newlands Corner.
What not to miss:
- Take long walks through the grounds at Hatchland Park.
- Visit the picturesque ruins of Guildford Castle and enjoy the panoramic views.
- Make a trip to the Guildford Union Workhouse for an interesting history of Edwardian England.
- Admire the works at the Watts Gallery Artists’ Village and stop for some tea and scones afterwards.
- Marvel at the grandeur of the18th-century Grade I listed Palladian mansion, Clandon House.
Due to its proximity to London, the best places to stay in Guildford get booked up quickly (particularly on weekends) so be sure to plan ahead.
For best value
The Crown Inn on the edge of Chiddingford Green is an ivy clad picture of rural English life with seven rooms and an AA rated restaurant. Built in the 14th century, this old inn has exposed beams, flagstones underfoot, vast fireplaces and four-poster beds. Rooms start from around £110 per night.
- In the middle of Hankley Common, Bel and the Dragon makes a great base for seeing the area which inspired Jane Austen. There are just 18 rooms converted from a wonderful old house.
- Hurtwood Hotel enjoys an idyllic countryside setting outside Peaslake, far from the hustle and bustle of modern life. This newly refurbished 1920's property offers chic and boutique accommodation complete with en suite bathrooms.
For A Country House Hotel
- The Woodlands Park Hotel is a sprawling Victorian mansion in the countryside outside Cobham. There are 57 rooms, some with four-posters. It’s a popular wedding venue - especially seeing as it’s an easy journey from London.
For a Mini-Break
- The Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa is a wonderful ivy-clad country house hotel with 123 rooms, Michelin starred restaurant and award-winning spa with lavish decor and service. It is only about half an hour from Heathrow.
- If you’re at all interested in planes then Aviator at Farnborough deserves a quick look. It is right by the airfield - though the 169 rooms are all soundproofed so you can see the planes but not hear them! There are two fantastic restaurants, stylish decor and luxurious suites.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Guildford is well served by London's collection of airports (London Heathrow and Gatwick). Numerous trains run between London and Guildford with a travel time of 35 minutes.
- Guildford is a year round destination with each system offering its own charm. However, for the best chance at warm bright days travel in the summer months (May - August).
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay in Guildford,
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Surrey,
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Guildford
Best Hotels in Guildford
Barnett Hill Hotel Guildford 56 rooms from £170Country Escape - A country mansion boasting a secluded spot with easy access to the beautiful Surrey Hills.Families - A chic family friendly stay, with easy access to theme parks in the vicinityGreat walks - Find some of the best walking routes in the south of England starting straight from the property.Restaurant - The Oak Room Restaurant has been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for its stylish modern British cuisine
A beautifully renovated mansion set in acres of picturesque parkland. No expense has been spared on the interiors, from luxurious suites to indulgent single rooms, all are contemporary and stylish. A champagne high-tea and fine-dining restaurant are the icing on this indulgent cake. See More
The Angel Hotel, Guildford Guildford 22 rooms from £65Local exploring - Located in the heart of Guildford giving easy access to the town and surrounding countryside.Great walks - Stroll through the beautifully manicured RHS garden at Wisley.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the ruins of Guildford Castle.Full of character
A historic building set in the heart of Guildford on the High Street. Rooms range from spacious suites to simple doubles. All are traditionally dressed with rich hues, antique furniture and luxurious bathrooms - the best have four posters. A charming spot from which to explore the region. See More
The Percy Arms, Guildford Guildford (Chilworth) 5 rooms from £94Country Escape - Set in a pretty village with excellent access to fantastic hiking and cycling trails.Great walks - Explore the picturesque walking trails running across St Martha-on-the-Hill.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the historic, beautiful house and gardens of Loseley Park.Fishing - Find the best of both lake and stream fishing at Albury Estate.
A chic and unique village inn comprising of five subtly colonial styled rooms all named after one of the 'big five'. South African themed throughout - even in the restaurant - breakfasts come with some of the country's delicacies. Surrounded by great walking this country retreat is worthy of a stay. See More