Search the best hotels in Tofino
Tofino, with just 1900 permanent residents lies on the west coast of Vancouver Island, on the tip of the Esowista Peninsula. It's a popular holiday destination due to it wild natural scenery and the best places to stay in Tofino are usually well placed for making the most of the area, whether you're here for the whale watching, surfing or simply a scenic getaway.
The resort enjoys a climate that is almost the definition of ‘temperate’. The winters are warm and the summers not too hot. As a result of this, you'll find many rare and exotic palms growing here.
During the summer months, the town’s population swells manyfold with the influx of tourists. People mainly come here to surf, camp and fish. It also attracts nature lovers, bird watchers, whale watchers and storm watchers! The Pacific Rim National Park Reserve is close by and its hot springs are a particular draw. The Maquinna Marine Provincial Park also makes for an interesting day trip by boat or float plane.
There are a number of festivals to enjoy throughout the year:
- In May the Pacific Rim Whale Festival celebrates the migration of thousands of Grey Whales,
- in June Tofino hosts a Food and Wine Festival with British Columbian wines to the fore.
- There's a Lantern festival in August,
- ‘Art in the Garden’ in September
- and the O’Neill Coldwater Surf Classic in November - Canada’s only professional surfing competition.
Tofino has an airport and is also accessible by ferry and road from the mainland. Just remember that if you plan to visit during the busy summer months, the best places to stay in Tofino will be extremely busy, so do yourself a favour and book well ahead.
What Not to Miss
- Head off whale-watching, an enthralling way to spend a day.
- Spend your days hiking through the gorgeous Pacific Rim National Park - be sure to remember a camera!
- Or, alternatively, consider kayaking around Clayoquot Sound. A truly stunning spot.
- Afterwards, enjoy a refreshing beer at the Tofino Brewing Company.
The best places to stay in Tofino
For panoramic views
- Wickaninnish Inn is a great romantic hideaway which enjoys fantastic ocean views. The rooms and suites are luxurious. The ‘Pointe’ restaurant serves top-notch west coast dishes, plus there's a good bar and spa. This is an ideal location for surfers, kayakers, birdwatchers and walkers.
For a private beach
- Long Beach Lodge Resort is perched on the stunning Cox Bay Beach. Rooms are cosy and classic in style, some with fireplaces. Floor-to-ceiling windows in the restaurant means dinner has unforgettable views and those who book a cottage get private beach access too!
- Pacific Sands Beach Resort is ideal for families with its luxury flexible accommodation in suites, studios and beach houses. There's also plenty to do for all ages from surfing, to boogie boarding to hiking in the nearby Pacific Rim National Park. There are plenty of dining options on site and the views are simply superb.
For an apartment
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Fly into Vancouver International Airport before taking a connecting flight across to Tofino Airport.
- The weather's nicest in the summer - the average daily temperature rises to 18°C in July. At this time of year, you can truly make the most out of Tofino's stunning scenery.
- If you'd like the freedom of having a car with you, which you'll need to fully explore Tofino, then you can check out the options with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our pick of all the best hotels on Vancouver Island.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations of the best places to stay in Vancouver.
- Or, feel free to contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tofino
Best Hotels in Tofino
Wickaninnish Inn Tofino (British Columbia) 75 rooms from $169Surfing - Surfing, and the new craze of SUP (Stand Up Paddleboading) is a popular past time.Kayaking - Take a leisurely kayak trip, ideal for all the family.Birdwatching - Try and sight the regal bald eagles.Great walks - Explore Chesterman Beach at sunset.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Panoramic sea views, throw in sublime food and an all natural spa and this becomes a romantic hideaway location. Comfort and luxury adorn all the rooms and suites, with balconies and modern bathrooms. Pointe Restaurant serves West Coast dishes or head to On The Rocks for a sundowner. See More
Long Beach Lodge Resort Tofino 61 rooms from $192Great walks - Pacific Rim National Park Reserve Tofino Unit is only 3.5 km away.Sailing - The hotel will organise private boat charters from the bay.Surfing - Hotel hosts onsite surfing lessons.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A charming lodge perched on the beautiful Cox Bay Beach. Rooms feature comfy beds and fireplaces, upgrade to a cottage for direct private beach access. Wall to wall windows give the restaurant an impression of opening right out into the bay. Warm and welcoming beach getaway. See More
Pacific Sands Beach Resort Tofino (British Columbia) 77 rooms from $423Romantic Break - A romantic and stunning spot, enjoy watching the sunset from your private veranda and unwinding in your luxurious apartment.Families - Apartments are the perfect excuse to get all the family together close to the ocean and make fantastic memories.Surfing - Lessons are avaliable - be sure to show interest to reception upon arrival so that they can arrange accordingly.Sights nearby - Explore the tidal pools with a net and maybe you will be bringing in dinner.Recommended by - Fodors
Luxury apartments with uninterrupted sea views. Fully equipped kitchens, comfortable beds, seating areas and outdoor decks add to the hideaway feel. Bring out the beach BBQ, relax in the hot tub or explore the water sports available. The perfect romantic getaway or family home for the week. See More