Search the best hotels in Wanaka
Wanaka is like a lower octane version of Queenstown. The views of a vast, tranquil lake and high peaks are similar, and the town offers similar opportunities to skiers, sailors and hikers. But this is a much smaller centre, more a town than a city and there’s a lot less busy buzz. Many of the best places to stay in Wanaka are small lodges or B&Bs with only one or two rooms, but there are also larger properties if that’s what you prefer. Wanaka has only recently started to become a popular destination as more people realise how close it is to the Mount Aspiring National Park and the stunning Lake Wanaka.
What Not To Miss
- There’s world-renowned fly fishing on the lakes and rivers surrounding the town - providing visitors a great chance to enjoy the tranquil side of New Zealand.
- One of the best ways to explore the dramatic scenery is by renting a bike. With a variety of road and mountain bike options available and no shortage of routes - there's something for everyone wanting to explore.
- Wanaka is within striking distance of the snow fields of Treble Cone, Cardrona, Coronet Peak and The Remarkables providing an ample number of pistes for skiers of all abilities.
- Experience some of the extreme and spectacular outdoor pursuits that New Zealand is famous for such as canoeing, jet-boating, rafting, climbing and horse riding. While Wanaka might not offer quite the same level of adrenalin fuelled delights as Queenstown, it’s still possible to sky dive or bungy jump here.
- Enjoy the delights the beautiful lake has to offer. With options for swimming, sailing and windsurfing - there's no shortage of activities for all the family.
- Or for something a little different, Wanaka also has a winery and a brewery and an impressive military aircraft museum.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Wanaka are ideally situated to make the most of this great town, whether you're here for the outdoor sports or simply to soak up the views.
Best places to stay in Wanaka
For the views
- If you’re looking for a luxurious spot to unwind surrounded by spectacular views then the six room Whare Kea Lodge and Chalet is for you. Rooms have all the mod. cons. and more, plus there’s a hot tub, a day spa and space to store your skis.
- Suite 51 is a peaceful apartment that has been converted from the owner’s own property. This time you get a whole floor with spectacular views over Mount Aspiring, Treble Cone and Lake Wanaka.
For an active break
- Theloft@Hiddenhills is a boutique B&B with just one apartment - separated from the owner’s house. There’s a dining room, living area and outdoor deck and the owners have plenty of bikes and fishing rods available to use. There’s also parking space for a boat.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a superb variety of properties close to the lake.
- Fly to Queenstown Airport located approximately 60km (37 miles) from Wanaka. The airport provides a range of Domestic Connections and several International flights to Australia.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the dramatic mountains and lakes, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - for the warmest weather, the summer months from December to February provide pleasant weather for outdoor pursuits. However, if you want to take advantage of the skiing opportunities, the winter months from July to September typically offer good snow conditions.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Wanaka
Theloft@Hiddenhills Wanaka 1 rooms from $184Great walks - Wanaka Outlet walk and cycle tracks along Clutha River 1km awayLakeside - Just three minutes from Lake WanakaFishing - Free fishing rod hireRestrictions on children
Friendly boutique B&B on Lake Wanaka. One suite separate from main house, with dining room, living area and outdoor deck. Delicious breakfasts, comfy beds. Bicycles and fishing rods available for use, as well as parking space for a boat. Stunning mountain views, you won't want to leave. See More
Wanaka Homestead Wanaka 10 rooms from $176Groups - Special rates for group bookings of up to 21 guests- ideal for weddings, residential courses, conference stays or group holidaysCountry Escape - Borrow mountain bikes to explore local scenery, use a BBQ built from local stone and relax under-the-stars in the hot tubSelf catering - Offers a choice of either luxury lodge or self-catering cottage accommodationRestrictions on children - Family friendly self-contained accommodation in choice of 2 cottages; or luxury boutique adult-only B&B in the main lodge.
A luxury B&B lodge (adult only) and a family-friendly self catering cottage set in a stunning location with mountain views, close to Wanaka Lake. Rural chic interiors are charming. Spend the day in the great outdoors before returning to relax in the hot tub under the stars. See More
Oakridge Resort Wanaka 173 rooms from $186Active Holiday - Close to Lake Wanaka, this relaxing hotel is surrounded by nature, a great starting point for outdoor activitiesSights nearby - Puzzle world- a mix of bizarre buildings, rooms of illusion and the Great Maze, designed to baffle your brainGreat walks - There is a popular track and one of the best day hikes in the area nearbyRomantic - Good for couples.
A contemporary property boasting an enviable location very close to beautiful Lake Wanaka. Well appointed modern rooms are light and airy and offer fabulous views from the expansive windows. Boasting outdoor hot-pools and an indulgent spa. An ideal base to explore the region from. See More
Edgewater Wanaka 103 rooms from $192Wildlife Area - The gateway to Mount Aspiring National Park, an alpine paradise of peaks, waterfalls, glaciers, rainforest, rivers and valleysBack to Nature - Lake Wanaka is an all seasons destination; visit any time to rejuvenate your spirit and soak up the tranquil atmosphereSkiing - The ski season kicks off in mid-late June and runs through until early OctoberViews - Stunning views of the lake and mountain views
Lime Tree Lodge Wanaka 6 rooms from $256Country Escape - Surrounded by mountains and situated near Lake Wanaka this is a scenic spot for a rural breakRestrictions on children - Children over 12 are welcome but younger children can come if the entire property is rented outFishing - Fly fishing is possible in the national parkViews - Stunning uninterrupted mountain views.
A charming and homely lodge set within ten acres of picturesque gardens and surrounded by the Southern Alps. Spacious rooms benefit from the spectacular views from their floor to ceiling windows. An intimate stay that can be rented out in its entirety for families or groups. See More
Suite 51 Wanaka 2 rooms from $256Views - Over Lake Wanaka, Treble Cone and Mount AspiringRestrictions on children - This is an adults only propertyLakeside - Roys Bay, WanakaGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Riverview Terrace B&B Wanaka 3 rooms from $221Back to Nature - A luxuriously appointed lodge, set on the terraces high above the mighty Clutha River with spectacular mountain viewsSkiing - The Wanaka region has world-renowned skifields to choose fromGreat walks - There are many popular walks and trails to take in the breathtaking surroundingsViews - Each room has uninterrupted mountain and valley views
Wanaka Haven Wanaka 5 rooms from $241Back to Nature - Appreciate the beauty of New Zealand’s South Island. Mountains merging into lakes, sunny crisp air and crystal clear watersEco break - Geothermal underfloor heating throughout the lodge and the highest environmental practices adhered toSights nearby - Puzzling world- regularly voted one of New Zealand’s best family attractions, experience the eccentric maze or Illusions roomFishing - Brown trout, rainbow trout and salmon can all be found in the local waters. Shoreline fishing or take a boat to the best spots
A luxurious and well-appointed lodge with beautiful views. Interiors are chic and contemporary yet still with a cosy lodge feel. Expect expanses of glass, wood-burning stoves, pale wooden floors and plush leather sofas. A warm property perfect to return to after a day spent outdoors. See More
Limetree Lodge Wanaka 6 rooms from $263Back to Nature - On an estate outside Lake Wanaka in a relaxed country setting with stunning 360 degree uninterrupted mountain viewsGreat walks - Venture into the hills and mountains surrounding Wanaka for wonderful hikesViews - With stunning mountain views, garden views and pool viewFishing - Fish at one of the easily accessible lakeside spots
Whare Kea Lodge and Chalet Wanaka 6 rooms from $445Views - To lake and Southern AlpsLakeside - Lake WanakaGreat walks - Around lakeRemote - Off the beaten track.
Mahu Whenua Wanaka 4 rooms from $1289Back to Nature - Spans over 200sq miles of majestic beauty – towering mountains, lush green valleys, native bush, forests and meandering riversFoodies - A creative and innovative Mahu Whenua chef will tailor the menu to your requirements and source the freshest local produceEco break - On 200 sq miles of eco-sanctuary; effectively New Zealand’s first privately owned national parkBirdwatching - Much birdlife to see, including birds of paradise and Weka birds, which are supported by Mahu Whenua’s conservation projectsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A boutique hotel with four suites in a private national park with a strong eco and conservation emphasis. Luxury suites offer spectacular views across the hills (best enjoyed from the bath). Feast on meals made using seasonal produce, much of it grown on the property. Superb. See More