Search the best hotels in Albany
Almost 3 hours north of New York City and settled before the ‘Big Apple’, Albany is a sophisticated small city with a fascinating history and a reputation for cracking cuisine. This pleasant state capital has become increasingly popular with both culture buffs and outdoorsy travellers eager to explore the best of upstate New York. Accommodation options include heritage B&Bs and swish city hotels, catering to a whole host of tastes and budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Albany are clustered close to the city centre and the banks of the Hudson River, perfect for exploring.
Originally a Mohican settlement, Albany was later taken over by Dutch settlers, and their influence can still be felt in the city’s architecture. Highlights for art and design aficionados include the striking New York State Capitol building, the Empire State Plaza, the New York State Museum and the Albany Institute of History & Art. The New York State Museum in particular is a great starting point for discovering the region’s past — including understanding the many peoples who lived in the area before European settlers arrived. Tour World War II destroyer USS Slater DE-766 with the whole family for an insight into how sailors lived and worked during the war.
Picturesque Washington Park is ideal for a leisurely stroll, and the annual May tulip festival is gorgeous! Venture to nearby Thacher State Park for excellent hiking, mountain biking, fishing and kayaking during the summer, or skiing and snowshoeing in the snowy winter months. Adventurous travellers of all ages will find activities aplenty in the area, whilst foodies can head back into town for a terrific array of eateries serving global cuisine influenced by the centuries of immigrants who have made Albany their home.
The best places to stay in Albany tend to fill up fast during the summer months and the festive season. Book your trip well in advance to avoid missing out!
The Best Places to Stay in Albany
For Heritage Charm
- Morgan State House is a charming 19th-century townhouse featuring 12 guestrooms and studios in Albany's historic district. The B&B has a pretty courtyard, great breakfasts and flexible accommodation for couples, friends or long-stay guests — including a well-equipped communal kitchen. Calm and characterful, open to travellers aged 16+.
For Chic City Style
- Renaissance Albany offers a glamorous base in downtown Albany. Think swish, sophisticated rooms and suites, an elegant gourmet eatery, a hip bar and splendid city views. A luxurious pick for well-heeled travellers in the heart of the city.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Albany International Airport, just 14km from the city, or catch an Amtrak train from New York and other major hubs in the region.
- Upstate New York is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Time your trip for the summer months (June to September) to enjoy warmer temperatures, ranging from 20 - 25°C. Autumn is slightly cooler, but the blankets of red, orange and yellow leaves are seriously lovely. This is a hugely popular time to visit, so book your stay well in advance to avoid missing out! Expect very cold and snowy winters.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in New York or the Hudson Valley.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in New York State.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Albany
Best Hotels in Albany
Morgan State House Albany (New York State) 12 rooms from $124Sights nearby - Learn about Albany's turbulent history at the New York State Museum.Great walks - Walk along the banks of the famous Hudson River.Restrictions on children - Over 16s permitted.Full of character
Located in Albany's historic district this charming 19th century property allows guests to live like a local. Providing homely studio accommodation including kitchenettes and living areas. There is a delightful courtyard gardens and cosy sitting room. A breakfast feast is served each morning. See More
Renaissance Albany Albany (New York) 203 rooms from $286Local exploring - Within walking distance of the best museums, theatres, and cultural sites of the cityRestaurant - Wellington's offers local, sustainable, contemporary American CuisineSights nearby - Tour the stunning Capitol Building right on the hotel's doorstepViews - Great city views of Albany from rooms
An old-world luxury hotel situated in the centre of downtown Albany. Chic rooms are simply designed with huge floor-ceiling windows overlooking the city. An elegant restaurant serves dishes that infuse local flavours. A prime location for exploring all that Albany has to offer. See More