Search the best hotels in Calais
Just 34km — as the crow flies — from Dover, Calais is most Britons’ gateway to France. Whether by ferry or Channel Tunnel, many of us have been to Calais, yet few have really taken the time to explore the area. Well-placed for discovering the Côte d’Opale and the sights of Normandy, our Gurus see this as a vastly under-rated region, characterised by rolling countryside and pretty fishing villages. Our selection of the best places to stay in Calais ranges from stylish B&Bs to restored rural châteaux, perfect for couples, friends and families.
Pas-de-Calais’ largest city, Calais has a long history as both a trading port and as a centre of lace production. La Cité Internationale de la Dentelle et de la Mode de Calais details this intriguing heritage through excellent exhibits and artefacts. Other heritage landmarks include the beautiful red-brick Hôtel de Ville, the Eglise Notre-Dame and the stunning Beffroi de Calais, which promises spectacular views. Admire Rodin’s famous Burgers of Calais sculpture as you stroll through the Parc de Richelieu, before stepping into the Musée Mémoire, situated in a Second World War German communications bunker.
Beyond Calais are the charming fishing villages of the Opal Coast, where you’ll find terrific seafood. Don’t miss the chance to go surfing or sailing from Calais Beach in the summer months. Whether you’re kicking off your French adventure or homeward-bound, an extra night or two at the best places to stay in Calais comes highly recommended.
The Best Places to Stay in Calais
For a Central B&B
- Le Cercle de Malines is a charming lacemaker's house in Calais. Pick this place for its stylish feel and quirky touches — including a stuffed crocodile. With just four rooms, this is a chic, intimate choice, ideal for exploring the city after a hearty breakfast, or as an affordable stop before driving south.
For a Rural Escape
- Le Manoir de Bonningues les Ardres is an elegant Napoleon III manor in a delightful rural setting near Calais. The five bedrooms feature parquet floors, high ceilings, and understated decor. Excellent value for history buffs looking to immerse themselves in the traditions of an old country house.
- Château de Cocove promises classic French elegance, with 27 individually decorated bedrooms clad in floral wallpapers and rich textiles. The gourmet restaurant, in the converted stables, is excellent. A romantic country escape complete with an extensive wine cellar and picturesque gardens. What's more it's reasonably priced!
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- If you are travelling from the UK, take a ferry, hop aboard the Eurostar or drive through the Eurotunnel to Calais. The journey from London should take just under two hours by train, whilst the Dover-Calais ferry takes 1.5 hours and means that you can arrive with your car.
- Alternatively, fly to Belgium's Ostend-Bruges International Airport and continue to your hotel in Pas-de-Calais by car or train. The journey should take just over an hour.
- Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Temperatures are similar to those in the south of England, and the summers are by far the most popular time to visit! Travel between June and September for longer days and warmer weather, averaging at around 19°C.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Boulogne.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Pas-de-Calais.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Calais
Best Hotels in Calais
Le Manoir de Bonningues les Ardres Calais 5 rooms from £65Great walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.TraditionalLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Cocove Calais 27 rooms from £85Restaurant - Fine dining based on local organic resources and on fresh produce from the nearby sea.TraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.