- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Domme
Set in the Dordogne department of South Western France, Domme is a spectacularly picturesque village perched on an outcrop 250 metres above sea level, and offering panoramic views over the Dordogne valley. It is often referred to as the ‘Akropolis des Perigord’ and the best places to stay in Domme are ideal bases for discovering this beautiful area.
Domme originated as a fortified stronghold which was established in the thirteenth century. The trapezoid city plan, walls and ancient ‘portes’ still remain. There are a wealth of historical attractions to visit.
Beneath the town there's an extensive cave system, accessible by glass lift. These ‘grottes’ were where the townsfolk would shelter in times of war. Above the Place de la Halle is a fantastic viewpoint (on a clear day you can literally see for miles) the Belvedere de la Barre. Plus there are many lovely parks and walks to enjoy.
What not to Miss
- The Knights Templar were imprisoned here in 1307 and you can still see the graffiti which they carved in their cells.
- The village has its centre in the Place de la Halle.
- The Maison du Gouverneur is impressive as are the surrounding medieval buildings.
- The Place de la Rode was a place of execution where the unfortunate condemned would be put to death on a ‘breaking wheel’ a particularly gruesome form of capital punishment.
- The Moneyers House was a mint - Domme had been granted the right to issue its own currency.
- The old town gates (Portes des Tours especially) are well worth investigating.
- There is a Musee des Art et Tradition Populaires.
The Dordogne is an exceptionally busy destination during the peak summer months. So if you want to guarantee a bed in one of the best places to stay in Domme in July or August, you'll need to plan well ahead. Alternatively visit Domme during the quieter months, when you can really appreciate this beautiful spot without the crowds.
The Best Places to Stay in Domme
For rural farmhouse style
- La Gueriniere is a five room, country house dating from the eighteenth century. It comes complete with outdoor pool, tennis court and dining terrace. This is an ideal base for kayaking, exploring and generally enjoying the delights of Domme.
- La Villa Romanie is a beautiful sandstone farmhouse with sweeping valley views and 17 simple, but chic, rooms. There’s also an excellent restaurant and a lovely pool. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
For a tasteful village inn
- L’Esplanade is a family run establishment which offers great value (with rooms from around €90 per night) and spectacular views over the Dordogne. The Inn is perfect for a romantic break with its traditional feel and gourmet restaurant.
For château chic
- Château de Maraval is a bijoux château which sits just outside Domme. A four bedroomed hotel, this is an adults only romantic hideaway. There is a lovely pool and spa. Hot air balloon trips are available nearby.
For a self catering Apartment or private Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- Domme is right between Bergerac Dordogne Périgord Airport (which is just 3kms south of Bergerac, and connected to London City, Stansted, Southampton, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Liverpool, Charleroi and Rotterdam), and Brive la Gaillard, on the region’s north-east edge, which is a small airport connected to Stansted during the summer months. Or you might find Bordeaux-Merignac Airport more convenient, it’s an international airport only 9kms from the centre of Bordeaux and about 90miles from Périgueux. A lot of major airlines service Bordeaux, and if you can’t get a direct flight you’ll have no problem transferring in Paris. The Eurostar from St. Pancras to Périgueux, via Paris and Limoges, is also a good option.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Domme and you want to see more of the Dordogne - visit our online partner, Holiday Autos.
- The Dordogne has a mild climate, with cool winters and warm summers. And plenty of sunshine. So as far as the weather is concerned there’s no best time of year to visit. Sunny summer, with maximum averages hovering around 28°C, is probably the most popular time to visit, but it’s probably better to consider it an expanded season and say that any time between April and October will be warm and sunny. if you’re visiting for truffle season then you’ll be wanting to arrive between December and March.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Domme
La Gueriniere 5 rooms from $91Domme (Dordogne)
A classic 18th century country house in rural France in 25 acres of scenic parkland. The peaceful garden has an outdoor swimming pool, tennis court and terrace dining area. Bedrooms have hard wood floors and decorated in a farmhouse style. The small restaurant serves traditional French dishes.Local exploring - The property is ideally based for exploring the DordogneKayaking - Explore the river Dordogne by kayakLocal markets - Visit the local market in DommeSights nearby - Domme CavesRecommended by - Sawdays
L'Esplanade, Domme 15 rooms from $103Domme
Spectacular views over the valley and river Dordogne and fabulous food. A traditional and charming village inn with tasteful bedrooms. A family friendly spot, also great for a romantic country escape.Views - Wonderful views of the river Dordogne and the valley.GourmetSights nearby - Great base for exploring the Dordogne valleyCooking classes - Check for timings.
Chateau de Maraval 4 rooms from $200Domme
Set amid four acres, this peaceful, adults only chateau has an elegant swimming pool, spa and fitness centre. Pretty, traditional Perigord styling on the outside gives way to modernist interiors with each room individually designed to a specific theme. Ideal for a romantic break in rural France.Local markets - Sarlat and many of the towns and villages have weekly marketsKayaking - Spend a day kayaking down the Dordogne riverSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated poolRestrictions on children - No children