Search the best hotels in Etretat
Étretat is one in a string of Normandy seaside charmers, lining this picturesque stretch of coastline as it alternates between dramatically chalky cliffs, shingle beach and smooth, golden sand. And like its neighbours, it was also well loved by painters and fashionable Parisians during the 19th century, and still really benefits from the architecture they inspired. Some of the grand hotels of this era remain, and some of the most charming villas are now the best places to stay in Étretat.
Étretat has a very unique view, though: it’s flanked by two chalk cliffs, which have been dramatically eroded over time to create natural arches, which are certainly art-inspiring. The most famous bit of its chalk is Aiguille, a needle-like structure that juts out of the sea. The shingle beach between is calmer, great for families, boating, and sunbathing. Behind the beach is the town, a mix-and-match of half-timbered houses and more modern ones, built around a casino, the grand hotels, a wooden covered market and the Eglise Notre Dame, a 12th century Romanesque church with a beautiful interior. And all around are chic or cute little cafes, bars and restaurants. Monet was right to love it here, and we hope he brought his family too.
The Best Places to Stay in Étretat
Some of the Most Romantic Hotels in Étretat
- The Domaine St Clair is a chic county house turned hotel, with sea views and an exceptional restaurant known for its exemplary regional dishes. There are just 21 rooms and suites, some of them rather lavishly decorated, but all of them quite original. The best have views of the ocean. There’s an elegant pool area too. Ideal for an intimate break.
- Les Pins de Cesar is outside Étretat, a peaceful retreat converted from a family estate, tucked away in pretty gardens close to the cliffs. There are just 14 rooms and suites, all of them elegantly decorated with contemporary style and colours, but the overall impression is still pleasingly rustic and intimate. The food is excellent and there’s a wonderful spa too.
Etretat’s Best Family Hotels
- Le Grand Pavois is a classic French seaside hotel, overlooking the port at Fécamp. Le Grand Pavois draws on 20th century style in its spacious rooms and suites, with porthole doors and plenty of teak. Family rooms and suites are especially large, with wonderful water views.
Prefer an apartment or villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com, which has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Paris Airport is the closest international airport to Étretat, and the quickest way to get to there from Paris is probably by train, which takes a bit over two hours, depending on exactly when you want to travel, and even then you’ll have to do the final leg by bus. This may, or may not, be of interest to you, but you can actually drive to Étretat from London in under five hours if you take the Eurotunnel.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- Étretat tends to be a summery destination, though there are many who find the Normandy coastline a tonic in winter as well. Expect breezes, and sunshine, and in summer daily average temperatures hovering just under 25°C. In winter they drop to under 10°C.
Still not sure where to stay in Étretat?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Normandy?
- or just focus on one kind of Normandy hotel, for example the Best Boutique Hotels in Normandy? or the Best Château Hotels in Normandy?
- Or you might care to consider another pretty town on the Normandy coast, and try our list of the best places to stay in Honfleur, for example?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Etretat
Best Hotels in Etretat
Domaine St Clair Etretat 21 rooms from £208Foodies - Sample exemplary regional dishes in the hotel's restaurant.Great walks - Take long walks along the scenic clifftop GR21 trail.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel