Saint Laurent des Arbres
Search the best hotels in Saint Laurent des Arbres
About Saint Laurent des Arbres
A small and beautiful village in the Gard department, Saint Laurent des Arbres is typically French: dominated by a historic town square centred on a castle and a labyrinthine mass of cobbled alleyways surrounded by rolling green hills of grapevines. Our list of the best places to stay in Saint Laurent des Arbres will let you soak up the delights of French culture, gastonomy and history.
The area proves to be a wonderful place for hiking and cycling. The pine forests to the south, the green hillsides and Mont Ventoux beyond are a great setting for long walks. The vineyards surrounding the town, renowned since antiquity, run guided tours and tastings. Caveau des Vignerons de Lirac is hugely popular as is Les Caves Saint Charles. At the top of a nearby mountain lie Roman ruins and you'll be guaranteed splendid views of the Rhone Valley and Mont Ventoux.
The historic centre of the town is idyllic and old, dominated by ancient buildings, and all in all, St Laurent des Arbres is a classically sprawling French country village aside from a simple twist: the castles of most villages are ruined, while the 11th century Tour Jacques-Deuze is pefectly intact. The remnants of ramparts can be seen throughout the town itself and the Romanesque Church and the Tour de Ribas, in the shade of cedar trees, make for beautiful viewing. A weekly market is held every Friday morning and during the summer months village life bustles with small local festivals and art exhibitions.
What Not to miss
- The vineyards: the countryside is covered with them and many of them offer tours and tastings. The Caveau des Vignerons de Lirac, Chateau de Manissy and Les Caves Saint Charles are all great for a day out.
- The historic centre: the castle dominates the town. Built in the 11th century, with upper floors and Gothic windows added in the 14th, it is perfectly intact and has a gorgeous viewing platform at the top. The Tour de Ribas, a mighty tower, is where the tourist office and a recreation of the town during the medieval era, are situated. The sublime, fortified 14th century Romanesque church is well worth seeing too.
- Ruins: the Roman ruins at the top of a nearby mountain are interesting and haunting, you feel trapped in a time warp when you walk amongst them. The hike to the top is worth the tiring journey, for you get a marvellous view of the Rhone Valley and Mont Ventoux.
Picturesque and dripping in history, the town is a perfect escape from the crowds of tourists who descend upon France every summer. Whether you're looking to bask in the glow of ages past, searching for a truly amazing wine or just after a good hiking trail, the best places to stay in Saint Laurent des Arbres will provide the perfect base.
The best places to stay in Saint Laurent des Arbres
For Total relaxtion
- Maison Felisa: a charming country house with 5 chic rooms, walled gardens, shaded terraces and a swimming pool. Ideal for lounging in the sun or exploring the town. Three rooms come with jacuzzi bath tubs.
On a budget
- Hotel le Saint Laurent: a lovely hotel offering 7 rooms in classic Provencale style with a spa and swimming pool.
- Apres la Sieste: a beautiful six room B&B, it has a blooming garden and an outdoor swimming pool.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the town and region.
- If you want to rent a car to explore further afield, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer months, when the average maximum temperature is about 32 degrees celcius. However to avoid the crowds, we recommend a visit in May, June, September or October.
- Avignon is the nearest airport and is 23km away.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Gard.
- Or all our Provence recommendations.
- Contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Saint Laurent des Arbres
Best Hotels in Saint Laurent des Arbres
Hotel le Saint Laurent Saint Laurent des Arbres 7 rooms from £86Swimming Pool - Small sheltered Outdoor PoolFull of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Spa
Apres la Sieste Saint Laurent des Arbres 6 rooms from £95Country Escape - A charming and intimate country home offering secluded romance in the rustic chic rooms and lovely gardens.Local exploring - On the border of Provence and Cévennes, it's perfect for exploring both regions.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Avignon and visit the magnificent Papal Palace.Local markets - Explore the bustling market of Saint-Laurent-des-Arbes.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Maison Felisa Saint Laurent des Arbres 5 rooms from £113Sights nearby - Easy access to Avignon, Orange, Nimes and the Gorges d'ArdechePrivate Hot Tub - Three rooms have their own private hot tub bath tubsRestrictions on children - Not suitable for babiesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - I Escape