Search the best hotels in Epirus
Northern and Central Greece hasn’t really taken off as a tourist destination yet, but it has excellent infrastructure for visitors and is beautifully perched on the edge of the Ionian Sea with a wild unspoiled coastline. It’s also home to numerous interesting little towns, fishing ports and summer resorts. So if you do want to experience this quietly beautiful region before everyone else does, you’d find the best places to stay in Epirus scattered around the whole area, with a cluster in the little resort town of Parga and a smattering in the mountainous interior.
The best places to stay in Epirus all seem to benefit from beautiful views, there are a lot to be had about here, with proximity to charming towns and very reasonable room rates. Epirus also has mountain towns to rival those of Provence and views to rival Scotland. Plus it has brown bears, wolves and jackals, lovely monasteries, golden eagles and happy Greek holidaymakers.
Parga has two castles, the Venetian castle in town and the Ali Pasha castle just outside town. There are well kept sandy beaches and a rather Italian looking amphitheatre. Ammoudia is also very beautiful. On the Ionian side of Greece, Ammoudia has a history based somewhat on mythology, as Homer writes of this as the place where you could find the passage to the netherworld. There are also a number of archeological sites and the beautifully milky Acheron River.
Away from the coast, Epirus is also where you’ll find Vikos Gorge (as far as the Guinness Book of Records is concerned it’s the world’s deepest canyon), the rugged peaks of the Pindus Mountains and the 48 wonderfully rustic stone villages of the Zagori region.
What not to miss:
- Visit the two impressive castles in picturesque Parga.
- Hike through the rugged terrain of the Pindus Mountains.
- Unwind on the quiet beaches at (Parga or Karavostasi).
- View the great depths of the Vikos Gorge, known to be the deepest in the world.
Whether you want a rustic getaway or a beach holiday without the hordes, our pick of the best places to stay in Epirus will not disappoint.
- How about the luxury country hideaway of the Aristi Mountain Resort? They have rustic chic rooms with lots of exposed stone and a wonderful spa for relaxing after a busy day in the great outdoors. Plus there's a restaurant serving organic dishes with much of the ingredients grown on site. Oh and there are views to die for!
- Also in seaside Parga, the Salvator Hotel Villas & Spa is a stylish, modern hotel with a collection of 20 rooms, suites and villas sleeping up to five. It too has lovely sea views from gorgeous terraces, an excellent restaurant and an extensive spa.
- The Hotel Kastro in Ioánnina, is a charming little hotel right beside the lake. Rooms are colourful and great value. Plus there are lovely terraces with lake views.
For a rural escape
- A dazzling mountain retreat in the remote Greek village, Kipi. Kipi Suites offer travellers a unique opportunity to explore the stunning beauty of its surroundings in the Vikos-Aoos National Park.
For great value
- The Nikolas Guesthouse is a traditional ten room mountain guesthouse with wonderful views over the valley from the terraces. There’s also a cosy sitting room with a fireplace and restaurants on the doorstep.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Ioannina (domestic only) or Preveza/Aktion (international throughout the summer season). By ferry travel to Igoumenitsa from Italy or Corfu.
- Best time to visit - travel between the summer months of June - September for both good hiking or beach conditions.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Epirus.
- Alternatively widen your search to include all our recommendations in Greece.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Epirus
Best Hotels in Epirus
Nikolas Guesthouse Zagori, Epirus 10 rooms from £52Active Holiday - The Zagori region is ideal for lovers of the outdoors with hiking, biking, rafting and much more amid stunning countrysideFamilies - This property is ideal for family groups with an apartment which can easily accommodate fourLess £ - Simple, comfortable accommodation with breakfast included at very affordable pricesViews - Lovely view over the surrounding countrysideRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Kastro Ioánnina, Epirus 7 rooms from £62Active Holiday - The Zagori region is perfect for an active break. Come for hiking, mountain biking, rafting, dramatic gorges and moreLocal exploring - With its excellent Old Town location, Hotel Kastro is ideally placed for exploring the town's highlightsValue chic - A seriously good price for charming accommodation in a top locationViews - Rooms on the top floor have great views over the castleRecommended by - I Escape, Fodors
A delightful little hotel in a bustling lakeside location. Charming rooms are tastefully done in classic style but with a fresh modern feel. Book one on the upper floors for a view! Lovely terraces and views over the lake. Excellent value, a great choice for local exploring, couples or families. See More
Salvator Hotel Villas & Spa Parga 28 rooms from £82Spa breaks - The Serenity Spa offers holistic treatments to rejuvenate, and can tailor make programmes according to your lifestyleRomantic Break - With a range of private suites and villas, some with private pool, plus views to die for and great restaurantSelf catering - Each of the luxury villas comes with fully equipped modern kitchen and a private poolViews - Stunning views over olive groves to the Ionian SeaRecommended by - Tablet
A chic modern hotel with rooms, suites, and villas (sleep up to 5). Interiors are sleek and stylish, there are wonderful sea views from its hilltop perch, plus an extensive spa, gorgeous terraces and good food. A lovely spot for groups and couples looking for a luxury stay that's close to the beach. See More
Kipi Suites Kipoi, Epirus 8 rooms from £100Romantic Break - Wonderful setting for a romantic break; all the cosy suites feature fireplaces, whirlpool tub and a private terraceBack to Nature - Explore the beauty of the Vikos-Aoos National Park, overlooking the River Baya and Mitsikeli mountainLocal markets - Wander through the local craft markets of Zagoria and pick up a few trinkets to bring home with you.Great walks - Area of Zagori is host to huge number of old walking trails.
A dazzling mountain retreat in the remote Greek village, Kipi. Kipi Suites offer travellers a unique opportunity to explore the stunning beauty of its surroundings in the Vikos-Aoos National Park. Traditional style stone suites are decorated with sleek, modern interiors. A divine remote retreat. See More
Papaevangelou Hotel Papigko, Epirus 10 rooms from £104Active Holiday - Explore the mountaineering routes in the Aoos National Park where this hotel is located, a great option for active holidaymakersHideaway - With a secluded location and a select number of guestrooms, book this hotel for a hideaway holiday in the mountainsBack to Nature - Set in the midst of a protected mountain region, this hotel offers an authentic back-to-nature experienceSights nearby - Visit the Rogovo Pools: natural, clear pools formed in limestone rock cavities over millions of years by the Rogovo stream
Parga Beach Resort Parga 106 rooms from £108Total relaxation - The Armoni spa offers a range of treatments from massages to pedicures which can be had in the hotel's beautiful gardensFamilies - Beautiful suites, private pools, sporting activities, spa and all-day restaurant make this perfect for familiesBeach Life - Located on sandy Valtos beach — sea, sand and sunbeds call for seaside relaxationSights nearby - Located in stunning town of Parga, picturesque restaurants, beaches, churches and shops are around the corner
A tranquil beachfront resort in the picturesque village of Parga. Rooms and private bungalows combine neoclassical Venetian decor and modern pastel hues to great effect. Find entertainment to suit all including an indulgent spa, four pools and water sports. Highly recommended. See More
Aristi Mountain Resort Aristi 440, Epirus 18 rooms from £181Back to Nature - In the lesser know mountainous region, close by to a National Park with pristine hiking trails and traditional stone villages.Romantic Break - Pure bliss at this resort with fresh air, wonderful views, luxurious rooms and spoiling spaSpa - The only spa in the area with heated pool, hot tub, sauna, Turkish steam bath, and extensive massage menu!Restaurant - Salvia Restaurant offers contemporary Greek cuisine, championing authentic local dishes and ingredients
A chic hotel offering wonderful views from traditional stone built cottages. The Salvia serves fresh organic cuisine from its own garden. A delightful and cosy bar ideal for the chilly evenings and a main lounge with a fireplace. A spa with an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. Luxury amidst nature. See More