Search the best hotels in Epirus
Northern and Central Greece hasn’t really taken off as a tourist destination yet, but it has excellent infrastructure for visitors and is beautifully perched on the edge of the Ionian Sea with a wild unspoiled coastline. It’s also home to numerous interesting little towns, fishing ports and summer resorts. So if you do want to experience this quietly beautiful region before everyone else does, you’d find the best places to stay in Epirus scattered around the whole area, with a cluster in the little resort town of Parga and a smattering in the mountainous interior.
The best places to stay in Epirus all seem to benefit from beautiful views, there are a lot to be had about here, with proximity to charming towns and very reasonable room rates. Epirus also has mountain towns to rival those of Provence and views to rival Scotland. Plus it has brown bears, wolves and jackals, lovely monasteries, golden eagles and happy Greek holidaymakers.
Parga has two castles, the Venetian castle in town and the Ali Pasha castle just outside town. There are well kept sandy beaches and a rather Italian looking amphitheatre. Ammoudia is also very beautiful. On the Ionian side of Greece, Ammoudia has a history based somewhat on mythology, as Homer writes of this as the place where you could find the passage to the netherworld. There are also a number of archeological sites and the beautifully milky Acheron River.
Away from the coast, Epirus is also where you’ll find Vikos Gorge (as far as the Guinness Book of Records is concerned it’s the world’s deepest canyon), the rugged peaks of the Pindus Mountains and the 48 wonderfully rustic stone villages of the Zagori region.
What not to miss:
- Visit the two impressive castles in picturesque Parga.
- Hike through the rugged terrain of the Pindus Mountains.
- Unwind on the quiet beaches at (Parga or Karavostasi).
- View the great depths of the Vikos Gorge, known to be the deepest in the world.
Whether you want a rustic getaway or a beach holiday without the hordes, our pick of the best places to stay in Epirus will not disappoint.
- The Irida Boutique Hotel in Parga is a boutique charmer with lovely sea and castle views with nine individually decorated suites. All have stand alone baths, chequered floors and private balconies.
- Or how about the luxury country hideaway of the Aristi Mountain Resort. They have rustic chic rooms with lots of exposed stone and a wonderful spa for relaxing after a busy day in the great outdoors. Plus there's a restaurant serving organic dishes with much of the ingredients grown on site. Oh and there are views to die for!
- Also in seaside Parga, the Salvator Hotel Villas & Spa is a stylish, modern hotel with a collection of 20 rooms, suites and villas sleeping up to five. It too has lovely sea views from gorgeous terraces, an excellent restaurant and an extensive spa.
- The Hotel Kastro in Ioánnina, is a charming little hotel right beside the lake. Rooms are colourful and great value. Plus there are lovely terraces with lake views.
For a rural escape
- A dazzling mountain retreat in the remote Greek village, Kipi. Kipi Suites offer travellers a unique opportunity to explore the stunning beauty of its surroundings in the Vikos-Aoos National Park.
For great value
- The Koukouli Guesthouse is a ten room mountain guesthouse with wonderful views over the valley from the terraces. There’s also a cosy sitting room with a fireplace and a restaurant. Rooms start from around £35 per night.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Ioannina (domestic only) or Preveza/Aktion (international throughout the summer season). By ferry travel to Igoumenitsa from Italy or Corfu.
- Best time to visit - travel between the summer months of June - September for both good hiking or beach conditions.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Epirus
Koukouli Guesthouse Zagori, Epirus 10 rooms from £35
A cute mountain village guesthouse with traditional rooms and a family apartment. Wonderful views into the valley from terraces, cosy sitting room with fireplace, restaurant, and lots to do on the mountainside.Views - Great views from hotelFamiliesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.TraditionalRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Kastro Ioánnina, Epirus 7 rooms from £47
A delightful little hotel in a bustling lakeside location. Charming rooms with colourful furnishings and extra beds. Lovely terraces and views over the lake. Excellent value, a great choice for local exploring, couples or families.Views - Great views from hotelValue chicSights nearby - Situated in the centre of Ioannina's Old TownSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
Parga Beach Resort Parga 106 rooms from £72
A tranquil beachfront resort in the picturesque village of Parga. Rooms and private bungalows combine neoclassical Venetian decor and modern pastel hues to great effect. Find entertainment to suit all including an indulgent spa, four pools and water sports. Highly recommended.Total relaxation - The Armoni spa offers a range of treatments from massages to pedicures which can be had in the hotel's beautiful gardensFamilies - Beautiful suites, private pools, sporting activities, spa and all-day restaurant make this perfect for familiesBeach Life - Located on sandy Valtos beach - sea, sand and sunbeds call for seaside relaxationSights nearby - Located in stunning town of Parga, picturesque restaurants, beaches, churches and shops are around the corner
Irida Boutique Hotel Parga 9 rooms from £65
A chic boutique hotel with charming rooms and wonderful sea views. Individually decorated suites are full of romance, each with black and white chequered floors, stand alone bath tubs, and private balconies. A small hotel with lots of character.Views - Wonderful views both out to sea and over Parga's Venetian castleRomantic BreakSights nearby - Exlore the caves at Lichnos BaySailing - Can be booked nearby.
Salvator Hotel Villas & Spa Parga 20 rooms from £74
A stylish modern hotel with rooms, suites, and villas (sleep up to 5). Wonderful sea views from its hilltop perch, extensive spa, gorgeous terraces and good food. A lovely spot for families, groups, and couples looking for a luxury beach holiday.Views - Stunning views over olive groves to the Ionian SeaGroups - Separate villas sleep up to 5.Spa breaksFamiliesRecommended by - Tablet
Aristi Mountain Resort Aristi 440, Epirus 18 rooms from £104
A chic hotel offering wonderful views from traditional stone built cottages. The Salvia serves fresh organic cuisine from its own garden. A delightful and cosy bar ideal for the chilly evenings and a main lounge with a fireplace. A spa with an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. Luxury amidst nature.Back to Nature - In the lesser know mountainous region, close by to a National Park with pristine hiking trails and traditional stone villages.Romantic Break - Pure bliss at this resort with fresh air, wonderful views and luxurious rooms.Swimming Pool - An indoor pool for all seasonsDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Kipi Suites Kipoi, Epirus 8 rooms from £141
A dazzling mountain retreat in the remote Greek village, Kipi. Kipi Suites offer travellers a unique opportunity to explore the stunning beauty of its surroundings in the Vikos-Aoos National Park. Traditional style stone suites are decorated with sleek, modern interiors. A divine remote retreat.Romantic Break - Wonderful setting for a romantic break from the city, all the cosy suites feature fireplaces, a hot tub and a private terraces.Back to Nature - Explore the beauty of the Vikos-Aoos National Park, overlooking the River Baya and Mitsikeli mountain.Local markets - Wander through the local craft markets of Zagoria and pick up a few trinkets to bring home with you.Great walks - Area of Zagori is host to huge number of old walking trails.