Search the best hotels in Thira
Thira is the town of cascading Cycladic white sugar cube buildings with the caldera view that probably pops into your head whenever you hear 'Santorini'. The cliffs here are steep and colourful, and many of the best places to stay in Thira perch on terraces and expand in whatever direction they can, often cutting into the rock in order to do so. Dramatic and beautiful, this is an incredibly spectacular spot to relax.
But peaceful and sleepy as it is, Thira is also geared up to show you a good time; with plenty for visitors to taste, try, see and buy. There's fine dining and wine-ing from local wineries, colourful beaches, interesting little boutiques amongst the winding lanes, and of course fascinating history and archaeology to come to terms with.
Thira's views are free, the beaches are free, and in amongst the flash restaurants are some affordable tavernas and cafes. There are also some excellent bakeries. Once you're out of the small tourist centre, prices will begin to look much more reasonable.
See Thira from below by hiring a boat, or by joining a sailing party and spending a relaxing afternoon bobbing on the waves. Tour a winery and taste the local tipples. Visit Thira's beautiful churches and appreciate their lovely art.
For something extra special how about taking a private tour of the volcano and hot springs? Or even a helicopter flight over the caldera? There's plenty to do near Thira - it's not all sleepy and peaceful!
What Not To Miss
- As well as checking out the beaches, explore Santorini's impressive history at the Museum of Prehistoric Thira, which houses impressive finds from Ancient Thira and Akrotiri.
- The site of Ancient Thira is also worth visiting for a different sort of day, it's atmospheric and sprawling, with Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine ruins.
- Ancient Akrotiri is another fascinating place to stroll around. This Minoan city was buried under ash in the catastrophic eruption of 1613 BC.
- Kids will also enjoy Thira's cable car, which takes you down to the Old Port where the cruise ships dock.
- f you're looking for something low key to do, visit The Art Space gallery. It's housed in old wine caverns, so it's a cool and atmospheric break from the sunshine.
Don't forget that this place will be packed to the rafters during the peak summer months. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Thira in July or August, you'll need to book months in advance. Alternatively plan your trip in the quieter shoulder months, when you'll get more of this charming town to yourself!
The best places to stay in Thira
- Zannos Melathron is a wonderful juxtaposition of an 18th century mansion and the traditional homes cut from caves most common on Santorini. The decor is in places elegant, and in places charmingly rustic, but it really works. Each room has its own private balcony, there's a lovely pool and fantastic Greek restaurant.
- Mill Houses boasts gorgeous views, smart accommodation and a price-tag that won't break the bank - the ideal romantic getaway.
- The romantic white sugar cubes houses of Aigialos have enough beds to comfortably sleep four or five - though of course there are also smaller houses just for two. Plenty of Thira's accommodation could fit families, but doesn't allow under 12s. Aigialos on the other hand welcomes them, is near the beach, and has a big outdoor pool as well as excellent Mediterranean food.
- Every view in Thira is spectacular, but Sun Rocks has some of the very best you can enjoy from the comfort of your room or pool, or private hot tub. Rooms are pale, cool and chic, but it's the many small terraces and day areas dotted around which make this hotel feel intimate and romantic.
- Tzekos Villas Hotel, dramatically set on the edge of the caldera, is a dreamy retreat. The rooms are classically Cycladic - plenty of whites and blues - and the views are to die for, of course.
Thira on a Budget
- Thira's views look expensive, but they don't have to be. Not if you stay at Callia Retreat Suites which start from just €80 per night, including breakfast - most definitely one of the best places to stay in Thira if you've got a limited budget. Rooms are chic and white, whilst the pool is large, blue and inviting. Plus you're near the beaches as well as the town, and the views are superb.
For complete relaxation
- Homeric Poems is one to book if you want to fly and flop with an unbeatable view. Built right on the cliff you don't even have to turn your head to enjoy the vista - it's spectacular in every direction. There's a great pool and cool, comfortable rooms. It's unfussy yet luxurious, with just the frills you really want and nothing more.
- Aria Lito Mansion is a wonderfully peaceful spot, with chic contemporary rooms set in a lovely mid-20th century property. Spend the day by the pool before enjoying a massage in your room or even join in with a wine tasting session!
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer the fliexibility of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Best time to visit is during the summer months, from June to September - Thira is hottest in July and August, with the average temperature climbing to 26°C.
- This however is peak season, so for a quieter and cheaper alternative consider visiting in May or October. when the sun is still warm, but the crowds have abated.
- You can fly into Santorini International Airport before getting a bus or taxi to Thira.
- If you'd like the freedom of having a car then have a look through all the options with our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which one's for you?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay on Thira
- For more choice have a look at all our hotels on Santorini or all our Cyclades recommendations.
- Alternatively, call or email one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Thira
Best Hotels in Thira
Callia Retreat Suites Thira 17 rooms from £69Views - Great views from hotelValue chicRomantic BreakSights nearby - Located in the centre of FiraRecommended by - I Escape
Aria Lito Mansion Thira (Main Street) 16 rooms from £100Total relaxation - In a quiet and peaceful setting, its the ideal place to enjoy some time out, sit back and relax by the pool or on the terraces.Romantic Break - A perfect couples getaway with its chic and comfortable interiors, great service and food.Local exploring - Ideally located close to the centre of town as well as the beaches.Local markets - Explore the town area with several restaurants, cafes and shops.
A stylish retreat, in the heart of the city. This mid-1900's renovated mansion offers creatively designed rooms, with chic contemporary décor, and lovely views of the sea. An outdoor pool, a cosy garden space, in room massages and wine tastings add to the charm. A classy yet modern vibe. See More
Tzekos Villas Hotel Thira 25 rooms from £138Romantic Break - Stunning views from which to watch the sunsetRomantic - Private hot tubs with breathtaking viewsSwimming Pool - With amazing views of the volcanoRooms with balcony/terrace - Each have a private veranda
Built amphitheatrically on the edge of the renowned Caldera in Santorini's capital, Tzekos Villas has breathtaking views over volcanic islets and the Aegean sea. Rooms are typically Cycladic - bright white interiors, tiled floors, with verandas overlooking the volcano. Peaceful and romantic. See More
Villa Bordeaux Thira (847 00 Santorini) 4 rooms from £143Local exploring - Conveniently situated in the heart of lively Fira, with a choice of many nearby beaches and island sights to exploreGreat walks - Hike from Fira to Oia, walk up the island's active volcano or the Skaros Rock viewpoint hike is also beautifulSights nearby - Visit the ancient village of Akrotiri and the ruins of Ancient TheraRestrictions on children - Children older than 13 are welcomed
A stunning hotel overlooking a pretty bay with elegant cream stone interiors featuring romantic arches and vaulted ceilings. The simple fresh design continues in the rooms, with pale furnishings, minimalist art and natural materials. Boasting a top-notch restaurant and terrace pool. Fabulous! See More
Athina Luxury Suites Thira (Santorini) 14 rooms from £177Beach Life - Set on the beautiful island of Santorini with sea views from every suite, book this hotel for a luxury seaside getawayHideaway - Hideout in this pretty hillside hotel; with a bar, restaurant and spa services onsite, there's no reason to leaveRomantic Break - The effortlessly chic suites and spectacular views make this hotel an idyllic destination for a romantic breakSecluded setting - For escaping.
Perched on the cliffs of the caldera, these boutique suites make a luxurious pied-à-terre in Fira. The soft minimalism typical of contemporary Greek interior design is set off by wood accents and gold gilding. With a romantic restaurant overlooking the coast, this hotel is a dream couples' getaway. See More
Zannos Melathron Thira 10 rooms from £208Foodies - Fantastic Greek cuisine.HoneymoonsRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape, Relais & Chateaux, CN Traveller
Sophisticated style and classical elegance in this 18th century mansion hotel. Sultry suites and some interconnecting rooms, cut from the cliff, have warm furnishings and private balconies. Fantastic Greek/Mediterranean restaurant, lovely pool, and lots to do in the villages and islands around. See More
Aigialos Thira 16 rooms from £252Views - Outstanding views of the caldera5* Luxury - Very high service standards.HoneymoonsRomantic BreakRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors
Utterly romantic all white hotel with a collection of sugar cube houses on the cliff top. Each house, from super to mansion size, sleeps from 2 to 5 people. All have private balconies, white washed walls, and pastel blue furnishings. Lovely pool and Mediterranean restaurant. See More
Homeric Poems Thira (Firostefani) 20 rooms from £290Romantic BreakHoneymoonsViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Freshwater poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Sun Rocks Thira 17 rooms from £429Views - Fabulous sea and sunset viewsRomantic - Good for couples.LuxuryRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
The Tsitouras Collection Thira (Santorini) 5 rooms from £601Local exploring - Set in close proximity to the Thira ferry, this hotel is in a great location for exploring on Santorini and local islandsRomantic Break - Couples love this hotel's discreet touches; book a luxury suites for a romantic private terraceBeach Life - Set on a cliff overlooking the sea, this hotel is a great choice for a luxury beach breakSailing - Visit Santorini's volcano and Thirasia Island on a boat trip; stop off on Thirisia Island for a traditional meal
This luxury hotel is located on a thousand-foot cliff in Santorini, Greece. Individually designed suites boast elaborate, antique furniture and living space; doors open out onto a private verandah with sun loungers and sea views. Unwind in the infinity pool after an al fresco dinner; a VIP getaway. See More