- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Karnataka
Karnataka is a large state. Its borders enclose some of India's most beautiful natural landscapes from its beaches to several national parks and wildlife sanctuaries; impressive waterfalls to picturesque hill stations. It is also home to the cosmopolitan and frenetic city of Bangalore (now called Bengaluru), the regal city of Mysore and some of India's most fascinating historical monuments (namely the ruins of Vijayanagara). So you can see that one of the main challenges for travellers to the region is planning the itinerary and choosing the best places to stay in Karntaka.
Karnataka is where to come if you want to see elephants and tigers. And if you want to lose yourself amongst coffee and spice hills, or explore some of India's most splendid monuments and ruins, from the wonderful palaces of Mysore to the Islamic ruins you'll find in the north of the state.
Karnataka has several main regions:
- Central Karnataka is great for people who want to see some of India's most beautiful temples, and the ruins around Hampi.
- Southern Karnataka has the big centres of Bengaluru and Mysore, with both their ancient palaces, temples and treasures, and their modern appeals, so it's a popular entry point. It also encompasses some of the Bandipur National Park, and has some great trekking countryside.
- The Karnataka Coast has the beaches,
- and Northern Karnataka has some extremely beautiful monuments and some incredible cave temples.
What Not to Miss
- Belur's Chennakesava Temple is a truly stunning spot - be sure to remember your camera!
- Take a tour round the Badami Cave Temples, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Nature-lovers should head for the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, the Sakrebailu Elephant Camp or the beautiful Nagarhole National Park.
- Spend some time discovering the state's capital, Bangalore. A techie-hub, it is also home to some lovely parks and beautiful temples.
- Explore the extraordinary landscapes of Hampi. A mecca for bouldering enthusiasts, hippies and culture buffs.
- Enjoy lazy days spent under the sun on the quiet beaches of Goa's less well-known neighbour, Gokarna.
- The hills and coffee plantations of Coorg are as relaxing as they are picturesque and well worth a visit.
The best places to stay in Karnataka range from modern beach hotels to remote safari camps to traditional home stays. Our picks include an affordable Safari Camp and a boutique escape near Hampi.
The best places to stay in Karnataka
- Providing a contemporary stay in the heart of town, Escape Hotel and Spa provides a fun and chic base. Rooms are themed on global cities and there is an impressive rooftop restaurant and pool.
- Doing the family name justice, Leela Palace Bangalore exudes opulence. Championing Indian hospitality with an indulgent spa and Mughal architecture. The levels of lavishness will be appealing to some, ostentatious to others.
- With its wisteria clad balconies and award-winning gardens the Oberoi Bangalore provides a tranquil stay. The building's high ceilings and hardwood floors lend a real old-world charm.
- Housed in a colonial style white bungalow amidst manicured grounds the Taj West End is a trip to perfection. Rooms are decorated in pastel silks and there is smart dining in the form of Blue Ginger.
- If you've come to India to find inner peace then you'll need to book into the Shreyas Retreat just outside the city. Here they're dedicated to promoting yoga, meditation and the Ayurvedic way of life. Accommodation is chic and modern, so you'll definitely find "enlightenment" in style!
- Shangri-La Hotel is the tallest hotel in Bangalore. Swish and modern, the hotel offers luxurious rooms, stunnings views and a lively rooftop cocktail bar. A contemporary chic option.
- The Lalitha Mahal Palace is a stunning stay, boasting smart rooms in an impressive heritage property. There's also a pool, spa and tennis courts on site. Great value.
- The colonial Fortune JP Palace offers classic accommodation and a range of lovely dining options. There's also a very appealing pool to lounge beside.
- Royal Orchid Metropole, set in a former Maharaja's Palace, features simple but charming accommodation in a tranquil setting of tropical gardens.
- The Green Hotel is an excellent low-cost option in Mysore. Set in a beautiful palace built in 1912, the charming rooms are decorated with traditional furnishings and Indian textiles. A good base from which to explore the city.
For Bandipur and Nagarhole National Parks
- The Serai Bandipur is a stylish lodge with chic interiors featuring plenty of white linen. The National Park's just a short distance away, and there's also a spa, a pool and a gym.
- The Serai Kabini is a boutique stay offering smart accommodation with large bathrooms and balconies. You'll love the gourmet food served up in their Wild Grass Restaurant.
- Orange County Kabini is a stunning eco-lodge overlooking the Kabini River. Their cosy thatched cottages feature four-posters and you can spend your days unwinding in their Ayurvedic spa.
- The Bison Resort is an affordable safari camp in the tranquil Kabini backwaters on the edge of two national parks. Accommodation is in elegant tents - with private verandas, four poster beds and antique furniture. There are raised thatched huts too. Relaxing and low key, you can see some amazing wildlife here just by sipping cocktails on the observation deck.
- Kaav Safari Lodge is an intimate getaway boasting cosy rooms and stunning views. You can even hire the lodge in its entirety! A magical spot.
- Slightly off-the-beaten-track, yet not far from Hampi, the Kamalapura Palace is a sublime modern hotel. Its design harks back to the 14th-century Vijayanagara Empire and is immediately striking. Everything from the luxurious suites to its superb restaurant personify luxury.
- Hampi’s Boulders Resort is just a short drive from the spectacular ruins of Vijayanagara, and surrounded by the amazing frantic boulders this region is known for. Accommodation is in 16 secluded cottages and there's a lovely open-sided dining room and a natural pool carved out of the rock.
- Urama Heritage Homes offer four chic homes of varying sizes and prices, but all oozing Southern Indian charm - think colourful fabrics and tapestries. A lovely stay.
- Gateway Hotel, located just outside Chikmagalur, offers large rooms with terracotta flooring and high ceilings. With great food and a children's playground, it's an ideal spot for families.
- Located in the midst of lush hills, The Serai, Chikmagalur boasts 29 modern villas that are bound to impress. A dreamy stay!
- Made up of twenty-four traditional Konkan style villas, SwaSwara is a heavenly spot on the Karnatakan coast just outside Gokarna. A zen atmosphere permeates throughout the hotel from the deluxe spa to the excellent restaurant with a focus on healthy eating.
- Vivanta by Taj, Madikeri is unbeatable. It offers stunning views, an award winning spa complete with an array of Ayurvedic treatments, sumptuous accommodation and more facilities than you can imagine!
- Nestled into India's chief coffee growing region, Orange County Coorg is a tranquil oasis in the jungle. Featuring lovely cottages, a superb selection of restaurants and a stunning spa. A great spot for an indulgent break.
For a private apartment or house
- For those in search of a more private option we recommend you explore the self catering range at our online partner, Booking.com.
- The best airport to fly to for Karnataka is Bengaluru.
- To hire a car, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Karnataka is from October to March, when the temperature ranges from 21-30 degrees Celcius. The monsoon season is from July to September. During May and June the temparatures soar, so these months are best avoided.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Karnataka
Fortune JP Palace 108 rooms from £33Mysore (Karnataka)
All the trimmings of a well rehearsed hotel chain at enticing prices. With its white colonial facade inside rooms are classic yet modern and of a good size. Oriental Pavilion provides formal dishes and Eastern cuisine whilst Orchid Restaurant is 24 hour dining. There is a pool and well equipped gym.Great walks - Up to Chamundi Hill for views across the city. Visit Sri Chamundeswari Temple whilst here.Local markets - Government Silk Weaving Factory has rolls and rolls of Mysore's famous silk.Sights nearby - Mysore Palace is one of the grandest in India.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Uramma Heritage Homes 5 rooms from £35Hampi (Karnataka)
Four heritage homes ranging from private villas to guesthouses, of varying prices yet all as chic as the last. Large rooms feature handwoven carpets, teak furniture and colourful fabrics and tapestries. Meals can be taken in room or communally; served with South Indian flair. A great hideaway.Sights nearby - Sadly Hampi's only remaining working temple, Virupaksha Temple is an absolute must.Local markets - Sule Bazaar is a hub for shopping for locals and tourists.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of character
The Green Hotel 31 rooms from £38Mysore (Jayalakshmipuram)
The best boutique stay in Mysore. Individually decorated rooms feature antique four posters with Indian textiles and stained glass windows and ornate doors, plus white ensuite bathrooms. Relax in the airy courtyard or verdant gardens. Dine on Asian dishes in the hotel's restaurant.Sights nearby - Built in 1912, Mysore Palace is an imposing structure.Local markets - Devaraja Market is a colourful and vibrant visit.TraditionalFour poster beds - For romantics.
Lalitha Mahal Palace 54 rooms from £39Mysore (Karnataka)
A heritage hotel for incredible value. Large rooms are decorated in an Indian meets colonial style. Large, ornately tapestried four posters fill even larger rooms that feature dark wood antique furnishings. There's a pool, spa and plenty of on site activities including billiards and tennis.Sights nearby - Mysore Palace is one of India's most resplendent.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Escape Hotel and Spa 30 rooms from £44Bangalore (Indiranagar)
Bright, airy and spacious rooms, featuring beautiful hardwood floors & crisp white linens. Large windows and neutral soft furnishings ensure a relaxing environment. Sample contemporary Indian cuisine at fine dining resto-bar Bricklane Grill or unwind on the terrace. A great base to explore from.Designer - Design conscious rooms are themed around the cities of London, New York and Tokyo.Spa - Including a steam room and three treatment rooms (one for couples).Sights nearby - Surayanarayana Temple, BengalaruLocal markets - Many local markets in Bengalaru
Royal Orchid Metropole 30 rooms from £49Mysore (Karnataka)
This former Maharaja’s palace provides guests with a truly regal stay. There are several dining options including the al-fresco Shikari restaurant, a well stocked bar, plus a tranquil pool & tropical gardens. Some of the rooms look out onto this - all are traditional in style but with all mod cons.Sights nearby - The ancient town of Srirangapattana and its temples are an excellent day trip.Great walks - Up Chamundi Hill for a fantastic view point across Mysore city.Birdwatching - Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary just a short drive from Mysore.Full of character
The Bison Resort from £59H.D.Kote, Kabini River
A serene safari camp beside the Kabini backwaters and on the confluence of both Nagarhole and Bandipur National Park. A superb location.Swimming Pool - Aquamarine bush poolOutstanding locationViews - Great views from hotelBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
Hampi’s Boulders Resort 16 rooms from £75Hampi (Bandiharlapur post)
A tranquil escape from the bustling travellers’ hub of Hampi’s Bazaar, but still a stone’s throw from the spectacular ruins of Vijayanagara. Gorgeous.Outstanding location - Located on the Tungabhadra River, 7km from World Heritage site Hampi's Vijayanagar era Temple ruinsSwimming Pool - The natural pool hewn from the rocks is a good spot for monkey and bird watchingGreat walks - Walk to waterfalls and islandBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
Shangri-La Hotel 397 rooms from £78Bangalore (Karnataka)
Bangalore's tallest hotel providing its best views. The rooftop bar is a popular for after work drinks whilst Italian, Indian, Japanese and Chinese dining can be sampled within. Rooms are decorated in a classically luxurious style and feature modern bathrooms. Make sure to try the spa and gym.City Style - One of Bangalore's top hotels with some of its most popular restaurantsLocal exploring - Right in the thick of it and within easy reach of the airportSwimming Pool - Rooftop poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Oberoi Bangalore 160 rooms from £83Bangalore (Bengalaru)
This luxurious hotel comprises elegant air conditioned rooms, decorated in a classic style. With hardwood floors, kingsize beds, elegant gold decor and opulent marble bathrooms you are truly pampered. Enjoy the stunning award-winning gardens, relax by the pool or explore the sights of Bangalore.Garden - Beautiful award winning gardens including a 120 year old Rain TreeSights nearby - Bengalaru centre, Vidhana Soudha (seat of state legislature)Cooking classes - Junior Chef cooking classes on requestLocal markets - 1.2 miles from Commericial Street
Red Earth 18 rooms from £90Mysuru, Kabini River
If tranquility is what you're after then look no further. On the calm waters of the Kabini surrounded by grassy plains and forest, stay in huts decorated in local art, earthy colours and featuring large bathrooms and a private terrace. Multi cuisine is served at Poshini plus there is a pool and spa.Back to Nature - Located on the peaceful backwaters of the Kabini Dam birdcall is the only sound to disturb you here.Birdwatching - Nagarhole National Park has over 200 species of birds - too many to name!Views - Great views from hotelRemote - Off the beaten track.
Gateway Hotel 29 rooms from £107Chikmagalur (Karnataka)
Large rooms with terracotta tiled floors and high beamed ceilings plus private balconies and day beds for lounging. Set amid lush grounds with a pool, children's playground and BBQ facilities. There is also a gym, spa, Indian and Continental dishes at Peaberry restaurant and drinks at Mukwada Bar.Sights nearby - The Hoysala Temple trail is a historic route across Chikmagalur.Hideaway - Nestled in the verdant hills of Karnataka's coffee country.Great walks - Scale Kemmanagundi and experience its views.Romantic - Good for couples.
Taj West End 117 rooms from £116Bangalore (Karnataka)
Housed in a colonial style bungalow with timeless interiors, amidst 20 acres of manicured grounds. Rooms are decorated in cooling palettes with beautiful silks, antique four poster beds, marble bathrooms and private balconies. Enjoy modern Asian cuisine and fabulous cocktails at Blue Ginger.Great walks - Lal Bagh, Bangalore's botanical gardens are pleasent space to spend an afternoon.OpulentLocal markets - Good for local colour.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Leela Palace Bangalore 357 rooms from £130Bangalore (Karnataka)
Worthy of the Leela name this property exemplifies Indian five star hospitality. Rooms are opulent including huge beds and silk upholstery and featuring marble clad bathrooms, deep baths and power showers. Some include private balconies. There are several fine restaurants and a most indulgent spa.Local markets - 'Food Street' is the place to go for lovers of Indian cuisine.Great walks - Lal Bagh and Cubbon Park are relaxing places to perambulate.Sights nearby - Bangalore Palace is impressive to behold.Full of character
Vivanta by Taj - Madikeri 63 rooms from £140Galibeedu, Coorg
Tucked away in the Madikeri hills, set amid 180 acres of rainforest this property enjoys stunning views. Huge rooms are modern in style with dark woods, clean lines and floor to ceiling windows making the most of the amazing scenery. There are three restaurants, two pools and an award winning spa.Views - Stunning panoramic views over the forest and hills from every room.Great walks - With 180 acres, there is plenty of land to explore. Longer treks can be arranged with the hotel.Local markets - Head to the local Coorg market for the honey, coffee and oranges that it is famous for.Swimming Pool - Outdoor infinity pool
Kaav Safari Lodge 4 rooms from £165Mysore, Kabini River
Chic, modern interiors hidden away in a secluded spot on the edge of Nagarhole Wildlife Sanctuary. Rooms feature design pieces and contemporary palettes. All have state of the art bathrooms and stunning views. A stay at KAAV is an intimate affair and guests can dine together. Enjoy the serene pool.Hideaway - Chic, modern interiors bordering the Nagarhole Wildlife Sanctuary - you will not want to leave.Birdwatching - Hundreds of indigenous and migratory birds can be spotted around the Kabini River.Great walks - Head out with one of the lodge's naturalists for a walk along the river banks.Sights nearby - Bylakuppe Tibetan Monastery is one of the largest in India.
The Serai Bandipur 24 rooms from £170Kaniyanapura, Karnataka
Another fantastic offering from The Serai this stylish lodge, just 3km from Bandipur National Park is a chic stay in the midst of Karnataka's famed beauty. Traditional four posters, draped in white linens compliment contemporary interiors and state of the art bathrooms. There is a spa, pool and gym.Back to Nature - Just 3km from Bandipur National Park you could hardly be closer to nature.Great walks - The Nilgiris Mountains have trails and treks for all abilities.Sights nearby - The Bokkapuram Murugan Temple is a historic and cultural visit.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Shreyas Retreat from £182Bangalore (Karnataka)
Dedicated to promoting authentic yoga, meditation and the Ayurvedic life. So much more than a hotel, but a philosophy. Accommodation is chic modern and comprised of private cottages. Achieve 'enlightenment' in style. There are several pools, a comprehensive spa and yoga studio and organic dining.Great walks - There are some lovely walks leading directly from the property, through the verdant countryside.Sights nearby - Before or after your stay the sights of Bangalore must be visited.Cooking classes - Learn the art of Ayurvedic cooking.Full of character
The Serai Kabini 20 rooms from £200Karapura Village, Kabini River
A boutique resort boasting modern interiors in muted colours. Chic bedrooms with kingsize beds are decorated in polished dark woods and exposed stonework. They also feature large bathrooms and private balconies. Wild Grass restaurant serves gourmet food and there are sumptuous treatments at Omã spa.Back to Nature - On the banks of the Kabini River with plenty of wildlife excursions nearby. Get lost in nature.Great walks - Head off on a nature trail with one of the property's informed naturalists.Kayaking - Kayaking on the Kabini River is a great family activity.Sights nearby - Mysore and its temples is a day trip away.
The Serai, Chikmagalur 29 rooms from £205Chikmagalur (Karnataka)
A collection of 29 modern and beautifully decorated villas set in the lush hills of Karnataka's prime coffee country. With two restaurants, tennis courts, bikes and private pools it is ideal for holidaying families. Allows the privacy of your own villa with the facilities of a resort. Win - win!Romantic - Good for couples.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Orange County Kabini 28 rooms from £245Kote, Kabini River
A shining example of eco luxury, Orange County is an award winning lodge overlooking the Kabini River. Thatched cottages feature dreamy four posters, private terraces and stunning bathrooms. There's a sumptuous Ayurvedic spa and romantic dining at Honey Comb - or opt for a private candlelit cruise.Birdwatching - Kabini's knowledgable naturalist will walk and talk you through the regions bird and wildlife.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Kamalapura Palace 46 rooms from £280Hampi (Karnataka)
The newest hotel in the Evolve Back chain, Kamalapura Palace provides a luxurious stay in off-the-beaten-track, Hampi. This 46-room newly built palace channels the days of the 14th-century Vijayanagara Empire. Luxurious suites include private jacuzzi baths. The perfect base to explore Hampi's ruins.Romantic Break - A totally spoiling way to experience magical HampiSights nearby - The 14th century UNESCO sight of HampiOutstanding location - Close to the UNESCO sight, HampiSpa - Excellent Ayurvedic spa
SwaSwara 24 rooms from £292Gokarna, Karnataka
Twenty-four traditional Konkan style villas dotted around acres of verdant grounds. Featuring coconut thatched roofs, terracotta tiles and your own private yoga deck. There is a focus on healthy eating and fresh fish on the menu - wine is available but no beer or liquor. The spa is an experience!Total relaxation - Leading the way along the path to enlightenment - you will leave feeling utterly rejuvenatedEco break - CGH Earth is known for its pioneering green principlesGreat walks - Along your own private stretch of beachSwimming Pool - Outdoor
Orange County Coorg 69 rooms from £305Siddapur, Coorg
Located in India's 'coffee cup' this property provides true escapism. Individual cottages, some with private pools, have terracotta floors, ornate embroidered fabrics, local artwork and gorgeous bathrooms with in and outdoor showers. There are four restaurants and an excellent Ayurvedic spa.Back to Nature - Located amidst Coorg's rolling hills this property lies amongst the surrounding nature.Sights nearby - The Bylekuppe Tibetan Settlement, the second largest in India, is well worth a visit.Local markets - Visit Coorg market and pick up its local delicacies to take home: honey and coffee.Great walks - The hotel guides can take you on nature and plantation walks.