The Hotel Guru is pretty upscale but fun to look at. Marcie Ellers.
Search the best hotels in Cagliari
Picturesque and old, Cagliari is steeped in history. The most Italian of all the cities of Sardinia, it is a neoclassical maze of golden palazzi, wide and beautiful public squares, with domed buildings rising up to meet the rocky heart of the city - Il Castello. Tree-lined boulevards provide shade to passers-by, flocking to sunlit cafes tucked beneath arcades. Perfect for history-buffs and culture-vultures, Cagliari has everything the budding historian could ever hope for: ancient Roman ruins, excellent archaeological museums, medieval churches and art galleries. But those in search of sand won't be disappointed either - the 8km long beach, Poetto, becomes the beating heart of the city's nightlife during the hot summer months. Our pick of the best places to stay in Cagliari are well located to suit everyone, whether you're here for the culture or simply to soak up the sun.
What not to miss
- Explore the Pisan towers, built in the 13th century.
- Sunbathe on the 8km long Poetto Beach.
- See the stunning artworks on display at the Galeria Comunale d'Arte.
- Stroll around the Old Town, it's an atmospheric and enchanting place to get lost in.
- Admire the beautiful Cattedrale di Santa Maria di Castello, a neo-Gothic architectural wonder built in the 13th century.
- You cannot miss the Roman amphitheatre. It dates back to the 1st and 2nd centuries and is an extraordinary sight.
- Visit the Basilica di San Saturnino, dating as far back as the Paleochristian 5th century.
- Immerse yourself in prehistoric artefacts at the National Museum of Archaeology.
Ideal for history lovers and culture vultures, families and couples, Cagliari is a rare historic gem. Browse our pick of the best places to stay in Cagliari and start to plan your visit.
The best places to stay in Cagliari
- Hotel Miramare: a chic and smart hotel with seafront views, offering stylish Belle Epoque rooms and suites with four posters and chandeliers. The breakfasts are indulgent and the terrace boasts breath-taking views.
- Boat and Breakfast: for families or couples, these 10 yard boats sleep six and offer guests the chance to sail out of the harbour on day trips as well as sleeping aboard. A simple, quirky delight!
Value for money
- Hotel Nautilus: smart and modern, offering simple rooms with a contemporary flourish and direct access to the beach. Great for families on a budget.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Don't fly, because sailing into Cagliari is a momentous and beautiful event. Fly to either Naples or Palermo, and take the ferry to Cagliari.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer, when the temperature ranges between 17 and 31 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Sardinia
- or go further afield and check out all our Corsica recommendations,
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Cagliari
Hotel Nautilus 293 rooms from £60Cagliari
This smart, modern hotel overlooks the beach in Cagliari. Hotel Nautilus offers simple, smart rooms and direct access to the beach. A good low-cost option for families or groups.Sailing - Excellent stopping point for a sailing trip around Sardinia.Sights nearby - Two miles from Santuario e Basilica di Bonaria.Great walks - Go walking in Molentargius Natural Park.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Boat and Breakfast from £70Cagliari
For those looking for something a bit different, Boat and Breakfast could be just the ticket. The 10 yard boat sleeps six and offers the chance to go out for day trips before returning to dock in the Cagliari harbour. A great family or group option.Diving - There are some great dive spots in Sardinia.Sailing - Perfect for those looking to set sail.
Hotel Miramare 18 rooms from £86Cagliari, Sardinia
A good four star hotel in the city centre with lovely sea views. Chic rooms and suites in Belle Epoque style with four posters and chandeliers. Good breakfasts and a lovely terrace. A great spot for a romantic break.Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Bang in the centre of Cagliari, opposite the harbourSpa - Wide range of Ayurvedic treatments on offerLocal markets - Good for local colour.