Search the best hotels in Cortona
Cortona is in a great position overlooking some of the most beautiful views of Tuscany spread out in all directions below it. Cortona's streets are steep and narrow, so this is a town best explored on foot. Some of the our Guru's recommendations for the best places to stay in Cortona are actually outside the town, but they offer similarly wonderful views over vineyards, olive groves and more beautiful hilltop towns. And that's the really incredible thing about Cortona, there are just so many beautiful rooms with views.
What not to miss:
- The Piazza della Repubblica is probably the most famous square in Cortona and a good place to start your explorations. The Piazza Signorelli is right next door and this is where you'll find the wonderful Sunday flea market and antiques fair, and Cortona's theatre.
- You should also see the churches, but that's really a given in Tuscany, the main ones being the Duomo, the Eremo Le Celle a Franciscan hermitage, the Basilica de Santa Margherita - right at the top of the town, and the Chiesa de San Domenico, a 15th Century church home to some wonderful artworks.
- Cortona is a great place for walkers - especially those who enjoy a hilly challenge. In the surrounding region you can stroll the old Roman roads of Torreone or Monte Maestrino, or just walk among the vines and stop for a glass of Chianti in the vineyards dotted around the hills.
Don't forget to book early if you want a bed in one of best places to stay in Cortona during the busy summer months - the town is absolutely heaving in July and August.
The best places to stay in Cortona
- Il Falconiere is a one of the best hotels in Tuscany, a haven of fine antiques, beautiful views and a Michelin starred restaurant. The 22 rooms are spread within the main building and a collection of private outbuildings surrounded by picturesque grounds, vineyards and olive groves.
- Fontelunga Hotel & Villas is a wonderfully traditional red Tuscan villa with stunning views from its collection of nine rooms and suites - and from the sunny terraces and beautiful grounds. There's also a pool and tennis court if you'd rather stay home for the day.
- Now a relaxed, family-friendly hotel the Villa di Piazzano began life as a hunting lodge belonging to the Medicis. A perfect Tuscan retreat within a short distance of many local highlights the Villa de Piazzano also has its own great restaurant and lovely grounds.
On a budget
- The Relais Villa Baldelli is a 15 room villa just outside Cortona. It's a striking building with an enormous pool and wonderful sun terrace and garden. And it also offers cookery lessons and wine tastings. Rooms start at under £90 per night.
For an apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Cortona is Perugia (41 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Cortona is from May to September. It can get very hot in July and August, so we think early or late summer is the best time to go.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cortona
Relais Villa Baldelli Cortona 15 rooms from £87
A striking country house hotel just outside Cortona. Plenty to do; expert cooking lessons, wine tasting, sunbathing by an enormous pool, or strolling through the gardens. Dreamy rooms and suites are traditional and decorated with romance. A great choice for a couple as well as foodies.Romantic Break - Sunbathing, cooking lessons, wine tasting, and general relaxation.Romantic - Stunning rooms and serene surrounds make for a romantic spot.Views - Great views from hotelCooking classes - Excellent cooking classes to discover the roots of the regional cuisine.
Villa Marsili Cortona 25 rooms from £103
A classically Tuscan villa situated in the pretty town of Cortona providing easy access to Umbria and Tuscany's attractions. Elegant rooms are traditionally dressed with warm hues, rich fabrics and antiques. A luxury property featuring a bar, tailor made cooking courses and a concierge service.Local exploring - A classic Tuscan experience; picturesque rolling hills, superb cuisine and pretty towns and villages.Cooking classes - Learn to cook regional dishes in the hotel's cookery courses.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
Cortona Resort & Spa Cortona (Arezzo) 23 rooms from £119
This 18th century spa and wellness resort consists of several villas. All rooms are decorated in a contemporary style with accent colours and modern bathrooms. There is a spa with sauna, pool, steam room and hammam offering a wide range of treatments, plus expansive gardens to get lost in!Local markets - Visit the nearby villages of the Val di Chiana for a quintessentially Italian experience.Sights nearby - The historic Medici fortress is located in the town of CortonaGreat walks - Walk to the Franciscan Hermitage of Celle.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Villa di Piazzano Cortona (Tuscany) 21 rooms from £156
This former Medici hunting lodge is now a magical Tuscan family-run hotel. Retreat to the romantic rooms, relax by the pool, stroll around the beautiful gardens, and feast on delicious Tuscan food and wine. The perfect country escape for all to explore Tuscany. Foodies will love the cooking classes.Great walks - The Umbrian countryside is simply stunning and offers plenty of walking trails.Sights nearby - Hop in the car to Lake Trasimeno. Take a picnic and make a day out of it.Cooking classes - Cooking classes avalaible for all guests. Enquire before arrival.Swimming Pool - Outdoor Pool
Fontelunga Hotel & Villas Pozzo della Chiana Arezzo, Tuscany 9 rooms from £152
Attractive period Tuscan villa with stunning views. Sun-soaked gardens and terraces, nine contemporary designed rooms and suites, plus swimming pool, jacuzzi, tennis court and moutain bikes to borrow. Two separate villas for self catering. Great for couples or for groups to rent exclusively.Sights nearby - Plenty of Tuscan hilltop towns and villages in the surrounding areaViews - Panoramic views across the countryside to CortonaSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool set amid the olive grovesDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Il Falconiere Cortona, Tuscany 22 rooms from £378
Romantic setting for food lovers. Dine at a Micehlin-starred restaurant in a stunning 17th Century Tuscan manor. Beautiful, spacious rooms are a perfect blend of homely meets luxury. Relax by the pool or at the spa. Dining is top class plus you can take part in cooking classes and wine tasting.Sights nearby - Take a picnic to Lake Trasimeno and spend a summers day in the water.Cooking classes - On site cookery school, led by Chef and owner Silvia Baracchi.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolFull of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Relais & Chateaux