Search the best hotels in Cortona
Like many of Tuscany and Umbria’s historic hilltop towns, Cortona is a very difficult place to build, or alter buildings, so many of the best places to stay in Cortona are elegantly converted palazzo, or simple townhouses. Around the vineyard-laden hills are a further range of accommodation options in converted villas, hunting lodges and farmhouses, which are perfect if you’re looking for more of a rural retreat, or a base for exploring the whole region, or you plan to do some driving.
Cortona is still probably best known for being the setting of the book, and subsequent film adaptation, ‘Under the Tuscan Sun’, but before that it was still one of Tuscany’s most beautiful Medieval walled towns, with stunning views of the Val di Chiana, and much more besides. Culture vultures will love its museums and beautiful architecture, whilst everyone will enjoy wandering its pretty streets and stopping off at the many shops, bars and restaurants along the way.
Just be warned that in peak season this town is extremely busy. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Cortona you'll need to book well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Cortona
In the centre of town
- Palazzo Passerini is one of the newest additions to Cortona's accommodation scene. It's a stunning conversion in the historic heart of town offering just two magnificent suites, plus an elegant salon and fully equipped kitchen. Available on an exclusive use basis, this is the one to book, if you're looking for luxury independent living with top notch services should you need them.
- Il Falconiere is a classic 17th century Tuscan villa hotel, idyllically positioned by its own vineyards, and offering 22 spacious and elegantly furnished rooms and suites, with a romantically traditional feel, and frescoed walls. Its restaurant has a Michelin star, and they run cooking classes and wine tastings. There’s a pool and spa for relaxing afterwards, and the location, just outside town, is ideal for wine tastings and sightseeing.
For a Rural Retreat
- The Fontelunga Hotel & Villas is a gorgeous Tuscan villa in the countryside not far from Cortona. Here you'll find nine individually designed rooms, plus two chic villas in the grounds — the villas have a shared pool and are perfect for families or small groups. Great onsite facilities, including tennis court, pool and hot tub, mean you can happily while away the hours without needing to leave the grounds, but there are some beautiful hilltop towns nearby, and the hotel has mountain bikes you’re welcome to visit them on.
- The Villa di Piazzano was built by the Medicis as a hunting lodge, but is now a charming, family-run villa hotel with views all the way to Lake Trasimeno on a good day. Its 21 rooms and suites attest to the way the Medicis did things, and while many of the original features have been retained, the rooms now have air conditioning and big bathrooms. Outside a pool has been added, and there’s an elegant Italianate garden. The hotel serves Tuscan specialities — both food and wine — and they offer cooking classes.
For Traditional Charms
- The Relais Villa Baldelli is a charmingly traditional Italian villa hotel not far from Cortona, with an enormous pool and gardens. If you love traditional Italian properties, with their murals, frescoes, terracotta tiles, and dark wood furnishing, then be prepared to love the real thing at the Villa Baldelli, as its 15 rooms and suites, and spacious common areas drip with old fashioned charm. The restaurant matches its decor to wonderful traditional regional cuisine, and runs a cooking school and wine tastings. Child friendly, with babysitting on request, and there’s lots of space to relax.
For a Spa Break
- The Cortona Resort & Spa is a group of several spacious villas, dating from the 18th century — though the spa itself is state-of-the-art, with a sauna, steam room, hammam, and a long treatment menu. The main villa is impressively elegant and traditional looking, but the rooms are decidedly contemporary, with gorgeous modern bathrooms. The restaurant runs wine tastings from its impressive cellars.
- The Villa Marsili is a classically Tuscan villa on the outskirts of Cortona: square and sienna-coloured, with green shutters and lush gardens. Inside are 25 rooms and suites, decorated in traditional Italian style, including wrought iron beds and regally patterned fabrics, and some of them are designed with families in mind. The villa also has a chic little bar, but no restaurant.
For an Apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- Perugia San Francesco d'Assisi International Airport is the closest international airport to Cortona, from there it’s about 40 minutes by train or car.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- Summer is the most popular time to visit Cortona, with temperatures in Cortona reaching the low 30s in June, July and August. So if you’d prefer a milder climate consider spring and September, when temperatures range from minimums of 10° C to maximums of 29° C. Christmas is beautiful and cheerful, and Easter is a big celebration, and both offer plenty in the way of festivities.
Still not sure where to stay?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Tuscany
- Consider some of Tuscany’s other historic towns. What about Arrezo, Montepulciano or San Gimignano? Or you could head across to Umbria, and nearby Gubbio or Assisi
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Cortona
Best Hotels in Cortona
Fontelunga Hotel & Villas Pozzo della Chiana Arezzo, Tuscany 12 rooms from £152Sights nearby - Plenty of Tuscan hilltop towns and villages in the surrounding areaRestaurant - Breakfast included, lunch and dinner by arrangement.Views - Panoramic views across the countryside to CortonaTennis - Tennis court on site - bring your racquetRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Palazzo Passerini Cortona 2 rooms from £516Self catering - The Palazzo offers a seriously luxurious self catering base for four in the very centre of townExclusive use - The Palazzo can only be booked on an exclusive use basisLocal exploring - You are right in the very centre of medieval CortonaMinimum Stay - 3 night minimum stay
A stunning palazzo in the heart of Cortona. Restored to its former glory by its architect owners, there are two magnificent suites, a salon and a fully fitted handmade kitchen. As well as daily maid service you can expect other boutique hotel amenities and a manager on hand 24/7. Luxury defined! See More
Relais Villa Baldelli Cortona 15 rooms from £121Romantic Break - Sunbathing, cooking lessons, wine tasting, and general relaxation.Romantic - Stunning rooms and serene surrounds make for a romantic spot.Views - Great views from hotelCooking classes - Excellent cooking classes to discover the roots of the regional cuisine.
A striking country house hotel just outside Cortona. Plenty to do; expert cooking lessons, wine tasting, sunbathing by an enormous pool, or strolling through the gardens. Dreamy rooms and suites are traditional and decorated with romance. A great choice for a couple as well as foodies. See More
Villa Marsili Cortona 25 rooms from £121Local exploring - A classic Tuscan experience; picturesque rolling hills, superb cuisine and pretty towns and villages.Cooking classes - Learn to cook regional dishes in the hotel's cookery courses.Romantic - Good for couples.Full of character
A classically Tuscan villa situated in the pretty town of Cortona providing easy access to Umbria and Tuscany's attractions. Elegant rooms are traditionally dressed with warm hues, rich fabrics and antiques. A luxury property featuring a bar, tailor made cooking courses and a concierge service. See More
Cortona Resort & Spa Cortona (Arezzo) 23 rooms from £130Local markets - Visit the nearby villages of the Val di Chiana for a quintessentially Italian experience.Sights nearby - The historic Medici fortress is located in the town of CortonaGreat walks - Walk to the Franciscan Hermitage of Celle.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
This 18th century spa and wellness resort consists of several villas. All rooms are decorated in a contemporary style with accent colours and modern bathrooms. There is a spa with sauna, pool, steam room and hammam offering a wide range of treatments, plus expansive gardens to get lost in! See More
Villa di Piazzano Cortona (Tuscany) 21 rooms from £210Great walks - The Umbrian countryside is simply stunning and offers plenty of walking trails.Sights nearby - Hop in the car to Lake Trasimeno. Take a picnic and make a day out of it.Cooking classes - Cooking classes avalaible for all guests. Enquire before arrival.Swimming Pool - Outdoor Pool
This former Medici hunting lodge is now a magical Tuscan family-run hotel. Retreat to the romantic rooms, relax by the pool, stroll around the beautiful gardens, and feast on delicious Tuscan food and wine. The perfect country escape for all to explore Tuscany. Foodies will love the cooking classes. See More