Search the best hotels in Ostuni
Puglia, round Italy's heel, has always been more popular with Italian families with their buckets and spades than jet setting holidaymakers. But this wonderfully earthy countryside has plenty of treasures. The beautiful white-painted hilltop town of Ostuni being one. If you thought white towns were only found in Spain and Greece, you'd be wrong. The city's white houses gleam in the bright sunlight, highlighting the pale stone of the great Gothic cathedral, which is the town's crown and around which you can find some of the best places to stay in Ostuni.
Originally the walls were lime washed to lighten up the narrow, winding alleyways of the town's medieval centre. But apparently the practice was thought to help prevent the spread of plague and it became compulsory.
Things not to miss:
- As well as beauty, Ostuni also has a fascinating history - mostly of being fought over by everyone who saw it. It is only 8kms from the coast where there are some lovely long, sandy beaches.
- Ostuni was established in the 1st Century, but most of its architecture dates from the 14th-17th Centuries. The town's architectural centrepiece, the Gothic-Romanesque cathedral, was built in the 15th century. Explore the many passages, stairways and little alleys and find your own beauty spots.
- As well as the beautiful town you're staying in, the region around Ostuni has many romantic oddities. Including the trulli - conical stone buildings originally built so that they could be easy disassembled as a 16th Century tax dodge. Some of the best gatherings of trulli can be seen around Alberobello.
- During the summer there are festivals and festivities happening all the time, so there's always something fresh and lively to entertain your family.
- If you are at all adventurous you'll enjoy an opportunity to explore the ancient cave system at Castellana.
- For those who like to be active you'll find plenty more opportunities to explore in the Natural Reserve of Torre Guaceto.
Ostuni has style as well as charm, there are some excellent restaurants and bars and plenty of chic, boutique-y places to stay. This old lady is very busy in summer, so if you definitely need to book the best places to stay in Ostuni in advance.
For central location
- Paragon 700 (the only red palace in this white city) is a gorgeous boutique property right in the centre of town. The rooms have been painstakingly put together to offer the chicest of interiors whilst not compromising on the original features. Plus there's an outdoor pool and gourmet restaurant. Simply superb!
- Another central property is the Ostuni Palace Hotel. Refined yet modern, the Ostuni Palace has really thought of everything - even though they're not on the coast they still have their own private beach, which they run shuttle buses to and from all day. So definitely one of the best places to stay in Ostuni if you're here for the sun and sea. The rooftop terrace has spectacular views, and with only 34 rooms it's small enough to feel romantic and intimate.
Agriculture has always been more important than tourism here, and if you have time it's a wonderful bit of country to explore. This is a place where there are strict rules about moving olive trees - even on your own property. There are colourful markets, small towns and plenty of unique dishes to sample.
- Masseria Salinola is a 16th century salt warehouse turned boutique hotel just outside Ostuni. The ten bedrooms are simply yet beautifully finished with lime washed walls and rustic chic interiors. Tradition Puglian dishes are served in the highly regarded restaurant and there's a large pool to relax round after a day exploring the area.
- If you're looking for a totally unique experience, the traditional trulli of Masseria Cervarolo are amongst the best places to stay in Ostuni. Originally peasant's workshops, these trulli have been converted to sleep up to six in total comfort - and there are 12 other rooms in the main building. All painted traditional white, and arranged around a lovely pool, this is the ideal choice if you want to relax, maybe take some local cooking lessons and see the highlights of the region at your own pace.
- Rustic, rambling mansion, Il Frantoio is one of the best places to stay in Ostuni for foodies. The owners gave up their stressful lives to come out here and grow food, and cook, and eat well under the sun. The result is slightly eccentric, but very personal, and staying in one of the 13 rooms is more like being a personal guest than a paying one.
- Alternatively book a room at La Sommita Relais Culti. You'll find a Michelin star restaurant which will satisfy the fussiest of palates.
For an apartment or villa
- For those looking for a place all to themselves, we recommend visiting our online partner Booking.com.
- The airport closest to Ostuni is Brindsi (23 miles).
- Exploring Ostuni and the surrounding Puglia region with a car is ideal, so visit our car hire partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Ostuni is from May to October or if you like summer sun, then temperatures really hot up from June to August.
Still not sure?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay in Ostuni,
- Alternatively check our recommendations for the whole of Puglia.
- Or call or email one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ostuni
Best Hotels in Ostuni
Paragon 700 Ostuni 11 rooms from £260Local exploring - The white cities and Valle d’Itria Golf are 30 minutes away.Short fly break - It's easy to reach Puglia, fly to Bari or Brindisi.Honeymoons - Luxurious, quiet and private.Hotel - BRAND NEW OPENING 2020
The only red palazzo in the white city of Ostuni, Paragon 700 is an absolutely stunning newcomer to the boutique hotel scene in Puglia. A timeless place where elegance and history are found in each one of the beautifully finished rooms and suites. Plus a gourmet restaurant & pool. Open year round. See More
Ostuni Palace Hotel Ostuni, Puglia 34 rooms from £104Romantic Break - A romantic boutique in the White City of Ostuni, boasting chic piano bar, spa, hot tub, Hammam and elegant Italian cuisine.Spa - Featuring sauna, Chromotherapy shower, Turkish bath, hot tub, wide range of massages and relaxation area.Great walks - A 15 minute drive brings you to the beautiful sandy beaches of Pugila.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby cathedral, built in late gothic style.
A romantic, stylish and refined hotel that features modern comforts and excellent personal service. Beautiful airy bedrooms in whites and pastels with ethereal drapes. Wonderful restaurant, roof top terrace and private beach just a few kilometeres away. The perfect romantic getaway. See More
Masseria Le Carrube Ostuni 19 rooms from £121Sights nearby - Four miles from Ostuni, the White City with it's stunning gothic cathedral.Romantic - Good for couples.Outstanding locationViews - Great views from hotel
Masseria Cervarolo Ostuni Brindisi, Puglia 18 rooms from £134Families - A number of the rooms sleep upto four and the pool has a lifeguard meaning children can roam free!Country Escape - With beautiful countryside, indulgent cuisine and a large pool this is an idyllic rural escapeTraditionalRestaurant - Serving Puglian cuisine including local specialitiesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Il Frantoio Ostuni, Puglia 14 rooms from £156Romantic Break - Chic rooms with wisteria swathed stairways, enchanting interiors and antique furnishings are the epitome of fairytale romance.Foodies - Members of the slow food movement the kitchen, under Rosalba, create extraordianry cuisine from simple home grown ingrediants.Tennis - Make the most of the nearby tennis courts and work up an appetite for dinner.Great walks - Meander through olive trees on walking trials from the hotel.Recommended by - Sawdays
Justly famous masseria with wonderful food and a vaguely eccentric air. Pretty bedrooms with white washed walls surround a bougainvillea-filled courtyard. Organic produce from the farm and olive grove is used in fabulous multi-course meals. A divine gourmet rustic retreat close to the beach. See More
La Sommità Relais Ostuni 15 rooms from £167Foodies - A fantastic little Michelin starred restaurant and great wine list.Spa - Massages, Turkish baths and excellent range of treatments using SPA Gerard's methods and productsSights nearby - Nearby towns of Cisternino and Martina FrancaRestaurant - Cielo Restaurant holds one Michelin Star.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
Masseria Salinola Ostuni 10 rooms from £191Cooking classes - A day with a chef can be organised.Full of character - Due to its age (dating back to the 1700s), the rooms here come in all shapes and sizesRestaurant - The restaurant serves delicious Puglian cuisineSwimming Pool - Large outdoor pool surrounded by loungers