The Aosta Valley
Search the best hotels in The Aosta Valley
About The Aosta Valley
The Aosta Valley is a bit of a show-stopper of natural beauty, home to Mont Blanc the Gran Paradiso National Park, the Aiguille des Glaciers and Grand Jorasses. And some resorts are under the shadow of the Matterhorn. Spectacular doesn’t go far enough when it comes to the incredible alpine scenery of the Aosta Valley. Our Gurus are known to love a view, and many of their recommendations for the best places to stay in the Aosta Valley have ringside seats at the panorama. Here they favour a range of chalets - old and new, traditional alpine hotels, converted farms, guesthouses, and some new fangled resort builds. Which hopefully means there’s something to suit everyone - there’s certainly plenty of choice for skiers, and their families, and hikers and mountain bikers too.
The ski season here usually runs between the end of November and the middle of April, and during that time après ski decorations and coloured lights lighten the shorter days, and keep everything cosy, so it’s a really welcoming family skiing holiday pick. In summer it’s the hikers, bikers and climbers take over the best places to stay in the Aosta Valley, exploring the Gran Paradiso National Park and the Mont Avic Natural Park, and all over really. Some visitors are here for the scenery - spectacular all year round, and some come to visit the impressive Roman monuments, the number of notable Romanesque churches, and several beautiful medieval castles.
Our Gurus have recommendations for the best places to stay in the Aosta Valley throughout the region. In Courmayeur, just through the Mont Blanc tunnel from Chamonix, and known for its sunny slopes and chic restaurants; La Thuile, which has the quieter slopes; Champoluc in the Montarosa region, with its vast variety of pistes; and historic Aosta.
The Best Places to Stay in the Aosta Valley
For Alpine Luxury
- Cervinia’s Hotel Hermitage is one of the most idyllically positioned hotels on our list, it sits at the foot of the Matterhorn, in a clearing of ancient larch trees. This is a wonderfully traditional chalet, built of local stone and wood that you can see everywhere. Its communal areas retain that wonderful alpine cosiness, while its 38 rooms and suites have been redecorated to make sure they’re as cosy and comfortable to contemporary guests as they always have been - expect dark wood and natural colours. At 6,726 feet above sea level you can pretty much guarantee spectacular views - except when the snow is falling too thickly to see! The spa is excellent, as is the restaurant, and our Gurus give the wine list special mention too.
- If you're looking for a traditional ski chalet, one with great fur rugs, exposed beams and giant roaring fires, try Courmayeur’s Au Coeur des Neiges. As well as rooms in a rather large chalet, there are also smaller chalets - so it's like a chalet community. This is perfect for families as the chalets are like home from home. The spa and restaurant both have excellent reputations and you're only two minutes from the cable car.
For Ski-in Ski-out Convenience
- Cervinia’s Principe delle Nevi is a wonderful re-imagination of the traditional chalet idea - the designers kept the exposed stone and toffee-coloured woods in the communal areas, but opted for pale wood and a Scandinavian, high design edge in the 32 generously proportioned rooms and suites. Although relatively small in guest numbers, the Principe has an impressive spa offering - and it’s possible to have your own hot tub in your room or on your private terrace. There’s a gourmet restaurant, a chic bar for stylish après ski, and run-side location, both for skiers and mountain bikers.
For Spectacular Views
- The Mont Blanc Hotel Village is in an incredible spot outside Courmayeur, overlooked by mountains on all sides, including Mont Blanc. This is a traditional chalet, with a elegantly slanting roof and stone walls. The interiors are traditional too, with the sort of fireplaces usually employed in medieval manor houses, tiled floors, beamed ceilings, and small murals. All of the 40 rooms and suites have incredible views too - some are big enough for families. Outside are gardens that help stock the restaurant, a heated pool and hot tubs. Inside there’s a spa and small gym.
- The Bellevue Hotel and Spa is an elegant, traditional chalet just inside the boundaries of the Gran Paradiso National Park, and has serenely uncluttered alpine views. Inside the chalet are 38 rooms and suites, cosily decorated with antiques and all the traditional chalet trimmings. The spa is state-of-the-art and covers an impressive 1200m² including salt and ice caves, and the range of restaurants includes one with a Michelin star, to give you a sense of the hotel’s calibre. Our Gurus recommend you ask for one of the rooms with the copper baths, they’re an unexpected luxury.
- Nira Montana is a luxurious, 55 room chalet hotel, just 400metres from the ski-lifts in La Thuile. It takes its decorative cues from the alpine scenery, and the result is serene, elegant and extremely comfortable. And each room has a private balcony or terrace. The spa is equally elegant and serene, and has an indoor pool, the restaurant specialises in local produce and cuisine - with the addition of a pizza over from Florence, and there’s even a kids’ club to compliment the family suites and kids’ menu.
- The Hotel Cresta et Duc is a great choice for skiers, with a great value room rate, simple, unfussy decor, light, airy rooms with wonderful views from private balconies, and it’s just 200metres from the cable car at Courmayeur. The rooms range in size, and there are plenty of great family-sized options, and the restaurant has skier-sized portions of hearty mountain food!
- The Saint Hubertus Resort in Cervinia is a collection of spacious suites and apartments, complete with self-catering facilities and comfortable living space. The rustic interiors are cosy, but stylish, with stone fireplaces, yet high-tech kitchens. Outside are larch and pine forests, and towering over them guests can see the Matterhorn. There’s a restaurant and champagne bar, if you need either, and it’s only five minutes walk from the ski lifts.
- The Hotel Jolanda Sport is is a charming chalet hotel in Tache, close to the Punta Jolanda chairlift., and ski runs that connect to the Monterosa resort. Its 32 rooms vary in size and style, with plenty of options for families and groups, but what they share is a rustic cosiness, and plenty of toffee-coloured pine. The hotel’s indoor pool, spa and sauna are welcoming, as is the restaurant, which specialises in local cuisine.
- The Hotel Miramonti is a beautiful spa hotel, offering all the accoutrements of traditional luxury: draped four-poster beds, gilt furnishings, marble bathrooms, open fireplaces and plenty of velvet. The location is peaceful, surrounded by parkland, though only five minutes walk from the ski lift, with panoramic views of Gran Paradiso - and all of the 38 rooms and suites have balconies with spectacular views. The spa part of the name is equally incredible: a Roman era inspired spa, with both Finnish and Roman saunas, a tepidarium, hydrofoil, massages, and hot tubs. There are also three restaurants to choose from.
- Courmayeur’s QC Terme Monte Bianco is a chic chalet in a scenic mountain clearing, offering views of Mont Blanc to the guests staying in its 57 rooms and suites. Here the alpine decor has been softened so that it has a more Scandinavian, contemporary edge, which compliments the beautiful new spa and pool. The hotel has two restaurants and is surrounded by gardens.
For an Active Break
- The CampZero Active & Luxury Resort is a fantastic pick for anyone who loves an active break! It’s outside Champoluc, just outside the Monterosa ski resort, perfect for skiers in winter, and hikers/ bikers/ climbers in summer. But it goes further, an indoor rock climbing wall dominates the lobby, and in winter there’s an ice wall, there’s also an impressive gym, and all sorts of spa and treatment facilities to help guest bounce back. There’s also a choice of restaurants: fine dining or brasserie style, and a cool bar.
- Cervinia Hotel Bucaneve is another great choice for outdoors folks and skiers. Its location is spectacular, under breathtaking alpine peaks, its 66 rooms and suites are super comfortable and cosy, and it was an exceptionally good, and large, wellness centre geared up to recovering aches quickly. The heated indoor pool helps too. Rooms range in size and this is a great family pick too.
For an Alpine Escape
- The Hostellerie de Mascognaz is a charming collection of eight individual chalets, converted from barns and other farm buildings, in a spectacular spot just outside Champoluc. Expect bags of charm in the form of original features, but also an extremely comfortable stay. In addition to the chalets, the Hostellerie has an indoor pool, hammam, and an indoor golf course? as well as offering yoga classes and hiking tours. It even has a choice of two restaurants.
- Le Coffret is a small and stylish hotel, converted from a rustic old chalet in pretty, rural Saint Marcel. It has just six rooms and suites, minimally decorated, so that the original stone, beamed ceilings, and perfectly smooth new floors take centre stage. There’s a small spa, a restaurant, and incredible views on offer.
For Great Value
- The Albergo Grandes Murailles in Valtournenche is the place to stay if you Just Want to Ski! It’s close to the ski lifts there, and only 50 meters from a bus stop that takes you to the lifts at Cervinia. The Albergo has 15 rooms and suites, some large enough for families, and many with open fires, plus a traditionally cosy atmosphere, and a restaurant which also puts on a generous buffet breakfast.
- Bouton d'Or is our Guru’s other super affordable pick, a cute chalet hotel in Courmayeur, with 35 rooms and suites in an excellent range of shapes and sizes, ideal for accommodating families or groups. The decor offers alpine simplicity, with useful bonus features like a shuttle to the Dolonne piste, a spa and sauna, private balconies or gardens for each room, and a generous breakfast spread.
For a Private apartment or villa
- If you’re looking for a self-catering option browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- There are lots of ways into the Aosta Valley, depending on where you’re starting out from, where, specifically, you’re ending up, and how you want to travel. If you’re travelling by plane the closest airports to the Aosta Valley are: Turin Airport, which is about an hour and a half away by road, or about three hours by bus, Milan Malpensa, which is about two hours away by car or bus, or five and a half hours on the train, and Geneva Airport, which is about four hours away by road. If you’re travelling by train, you will probably arrive via Geneva, Turin or Basel? But there are plenty of options overland.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- If you’re coming to ski, the ski season runs between about late November until about the end of April. The rule usually holds that the higher up resorts are the most snow sure, but check with the resort you’re planning to stay in for information about early and late skiing. If you’re visiting the Aosta Valley to hike, or mountain bike, most people plan for the late spring and early summer, to avoid too much snow, while maximising the fresh, alpine beauty.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could refine your search by resort, and focus on the best places to stay in Courmayeur? quieter La Thuile? big Champoluc? snow sure Cervinia? or historic Aosta?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in The Aosta Valley
Best Hotels in The Aosta Valley
Maison Colombot Aosta 6 rooms from £43Value chicLocal markets - Good for local colour.TraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Albergo Grandes Murailles Valtournenche, The Aosta Valley 15 rooms from £71Skiing - 50 metres from a bus stop linking with Cervinia for skiing, heliskiing availableActive Holiday - In perfect position to enjoy mountain sports all year round.Views - Stunning valley views.Swimming Pool - Free admission to the indoor swimming pool of Valtournenche
A traditional cosy chalet in the Aosta Valley. Antique-style furniture in rooms and suites, with all the mod-cons and exposed wooden beams. Hammam, massages and fireplaces to relax next to. Close to ski lifts. A great choice for families or a romantic break in the mountains. See More
Bouton d'Or Courmayeur 35 rooms from £69Skiing - Free shuttle to the Dolonne pisteViews - Beautiful valley views.Value chicActive Holiday
Le Coffret The Aosta Valley 6 rooms from £69Skiing - Discover the expansive resort of Pila, only 8km from the property.Active Holiday - The surrounding Alps offer a plethora of outdoor pursuits.Spa breaksRomantic - Good for couples.
Les Neiges d'Antan Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia) 9 rooms from £69Spa breaks - The spa includes an ice bath, whirlpool tub, Turkish bath, gym, Finnish sauna and a range of massage treatments.Skiing - Cervinia has Italy's longest ski season and offers runs for all abilities.Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains offer a host of outdoor pursuits.Restrictions on children - Adult only.
A traditional Alpine hotel set amid the meadows of the Aosta Valley. Rustic rooms feature antique wooden furniture, parquet flooring and floral bedspreads. There is a restaurant with an extensive wine cellar and an indulgent spa boasting an ice bath, gym, whirlpool tub, sauna and Turkish bath. See More
Hotel Jolanda Sport Gressoney-la-Trinite, The Aosta Valley 32 rooms from £71Families - Specialist child ski instructors, indoor pool, large family suites, and spa for the parentsFull of characterTraditionalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Locanda Collomb La Thuile 8 rooms from £76Active Holiday - Ideally placed for skiing-enthusiasts, a free public shuttle bus to the slopes of La Thuile stops close by.Sights nearby - Mont Blanc is close by, and ski lifts can take you up to its wuthering, breathtaking heights.Views - Great views from hotelOutstanding location
A traditional Alpine hotel in La Thuile offering stylish en-suite rooms with wooden flooring, rustic furnishings and tiled bathrooms. Ideal for skiers, it is just ten minutes from Thuile's slopes. Indulgent breakfasts are served and a sauna offers a welcome respite after a day spent outdoors. See More
Rifugio Lilla La Thuile 8 rooms from 95Active Holiday - Just steps from the ski slopes plus numerous alpine activities to keep everyone busy.Skiing - Wonderfully quiet pistes and access to the La Rosière resort as well as La Thuile.Views - Great views from hotelTraditional
A charming property well situated for easy access to the slopes. Simple rooms with light wooden furniture, soft pastel colours and beamed ceilings give a cosy alpine feel. Indulgent breakfasts served under an impressive vaulted breakfast room. A laid back hotel ideal for families. See More
Hotel La Granges Entrèves, The Aosta Valley 12 rooms from £82Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains offer an extensive range of outdoor activities.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalRestaurant - Recommended.
Hotel Cresta et Duc Courmayeur 42 rooms from £87Skiing - Just 200m from the main cable carValue chicFamiliesActive Holiday
Villa Novecento Courmayeur 26 rooms from £95Skiing - Free shuttle bus to and from the cable carActive HolidayViews - Great views over Mont BlancBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
Les Trompeurs Cogne 6 rooms from £97Active Holiday - Whether you're skiing down Alpine slopes or rafting down the Dora Baltea river, there's plenty to do in the region.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalBoutique
A cosy Alpine homestead at the foot of the Gran Paradiso National Park. Warm and rustic rooms are decorated with wooden furniture and artworks. Boasting a picturesque garden, large sunny terrace and hearty breakfasts are served in a fire lit dining room. A charming spot to explore the region from. See More
Auberge de la Maison Courmayeur 23 rooms from £103Views - Great views from hotelActive HolidaySkiingBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
La Meridiana du Cadran Solaire Aosta, The Aosta Valley 17 rooms from £119Romantic Break - After a day of skiing or walking, enjoy the couples spa, views over the mountains from the balcony, or the cable carsViews - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Locanda la Brenva Courmayeur (Frazione Entreves) 10 rooms from £104Skiing - Just a short walk from the Val Veny cable cars and Mont Blanc cable car for cross-country skiers.Active Holiday - Easy access to numerous alpine activities.Sights nearby - Visit the the bell tower, the church of Notre Dame de la Guerison and the Tower Maquillin within Courmayeur.Romantic - Good for couples.
A charming alpine property boasting lovely mountain views. Characterful rooms are traditional in style with pine furniture, exposed beams and parquet flooring. Superb contemporary regional cuisine is served in the cosy restaurant. Easy access to activities in the surround mountains. Alpine bliss. See More
Milleluci Aosta, The Aosta Valley 31 rooms from £136Total relaxation - A really rustic retreat with plenty of mountain air and pampering.Spa breaks - A fully equipped spa and pool ideal for total pampering.Skiing - In the winter.Views - Great views from hotel
A truly rustic style house set in the mountains. Traditional interiors have wooden beams and floors, fireplaces, four poster beds, big bath tubs, and lots of floral fabrics. An excellent spa and swimming pool, traditional cuisine, and plenty of mountain fresh air. Romantic and family friendly. See More
Hotel Da Compagnoni Cervinia (Breuil) 27 rooms from £126Skiing - Located in one of Europe's best ski destinations, Cervinia, which has a wide range of slopes for all abilitiesFamilies - The reasonably priced rooms and easy access to the slopes makes this a good choice for familiesFull of characterTraditional
A charming traditional property in the heart of Cervinia. Cosy rooms feature sink-into beds, pine furniture, and large bathrooms. A small spa, complete with a sauna and hot tub, are a welcome respite after a day spent on the slopes. A laid-back atmosphere in a central location. See More
Hotel Miramonti Cogne 38 rooms from £159Spa breaks - The wellness centre has a hydropool, hot tub, Roman sauna, Finnish sauna, trepidarium and beauty and massage treatments.Fishing - Fish in the waters of Grand Eyvia and Grauson, and the lakes of Lillaz and Aymavilles.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Stunning boutique spa hotel with panoramic views of Gran Paradiso, offering ornate and elegant rooms with balcony views and luxurious bathrooms. The Roman-inspired spa is near-unrivalled in its industry, with both a Finnish and Roman sauna, tepidarium, hydropool and hot tub amongst other facilities. See More
Au Coeur des Neiges Courmayeur 3 rooms from £174Skiing - 2 min walk to the cable carHills & mountainsFamiliesGroups
Sertorelli Sport Hotel Cervinia (AO) 70 rooms from £191Skiing - Cervinia resort has been voted as one of the best resorts in Europe offering wide and varied slopes set over two valleysSpa breaks - Come for the Wellness Centre complete with hot tub, sauna, and Turkish bathFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A charming Alpine hotel located just minutes from the nearest ski lift. Traditionally inspired rooms feature plenty of pine, yet the design is simple and contemporary, while the bathrooms are an indulgent affair. Renowned for its excellent spa; the Italian restaurant is also particularly good. See More
Bellevue Hotel & Spa Cogne (Aosta Valley) 38 rooms from £191Back to Nature - The interior of this hotel reflects the natural beauty of the surrounding nature for you to explore.Sights nearby - A picturesque walk leads to the Lillaz waterfalls which are the most spectacular in the region.Great walks - The Cogne Valley offers numerous walking opportunities including winter Nordic walking.Fishing - Grand Eyvia, Grauson and Urtier have excellent fishing lakes and rivers.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Located in the Gran Paradiso National Park this seemingly traditional chalet exceeds expectations. Enjoying stunning views, state of the art spa and home to a michelin starred restaurant. Rooms utilise local materials with lots of exposed wood, traditional Alpine decor and sumptuous copper baths. See More
QC Terme Monte Bianco Courmayeur (Pre'-saint-didier) 57 rooms from £268Honeymoons - Come rejuvenate yourselves at the hotel surrounded by beautiful landscapes and therapies available on site.Total relaxation - Stunning scenery, a hot tub, access to the best slopes and an inviting spa promise pure bliss.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
Hostellerie de Mascognaz Champoluc 8 rooms from £279Local exploring - A trekking paradise with dozens of stunning routes to lakes, waterfalls and glaciers nearby, and enjoy the wellness centre afterGreat walks - Extensive walking routes around Mascognaz area - a nature guide can accompany youViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Charming mountain hotel focusing on wellness and nature. Individual chalet guestrooms in converted barns have original features and antiques. Indoor pool, Turkish bath, yoga classes, Ayurvedic massages. Indoor golf and two cosy restaurants. Bring walking boots, the hiking tours are outstanding. See More
Nira Montana La Thuile 55 rooms from £282Skiing - 160km of pistes to explore in the Mont Blanc region. Just 400m from the cable carRestaurant - Stars Restaurant uses fresh, local ingredients for Italian cuisine. Plus an authentic wooden pizza oven from FlorenceSpa - Superb spa with treatment rooms, indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam bath, vitarium and Terre & Aqua.Great walks - Wonderful walking and hiking when the snows have melted.
Nira Montana is a luxurious hybrid of tradition and modernity. At first glance, just another village building, but inside, its flooring follows the shapes of trees, and there are forest-themed walls with chrome and leather armchairs. A top notch property for either skiers or summer outdoorsy types. See More
Saint Hubertus Resort Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia) 18 rooms from £312Spa breaks - Wellness centre includes an indoor pool, hot tub, Turkish Bath, sauna, hydromassage pool, facial treatments and massages.Active Holiday - Very close to ski lifts and the hotel plans heliski rides to the top of untouched mountains.Swimming Pool - Heated indoor pool.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Mont Blanc Hotel Village Courmayeur (La Salle) 40 rooms from £338Romantic Break - Come enjoy the good weather, spectacular views and appreciable service at this hotel with your loved one.Local exploring - The hotel is in a convenient location close by to the most important ski resorts.Families - Large rooms for families and several outdoor activities to keep the kids busy!Sights nearby - Located in the Valle d'Aosta with Roman monuments, castles and rural architecture to explore.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Situated in La Salle, at the foot of Mont Blanc, built in traditional stone and wood, the rooms offer wonderful views of the surrounding mountains. Local produce from its own garden is used in the restaurant. Fireplaces, a heated pool, a hot tub and an inviting spa all add to the charm. See More
Hotel Bucaneve Cervinia 66 rooms from £361Active Holiday - A luxurious and cosy base to hike, ski, or bike fromSpa - Wellness centre with pool, hot tub, Sauna World and treatment roomsSwimming Pool - Heated indoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.
A charming four-star property located right in the heart of Cervinia. Traditional interiors see pine-clad walls, wooden furniture, roaring fires, and antiques. However, the amenities are contemporary with indulgent bathrooms and a spoiling wellness centre. A cosy Alpine stay. See More
Hotel Hermitage, Cervinia Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia) 38 rooms from £398Skiing - Boasting one of the largest ski areas in the Alps, the slopes allow all day skiing without ever repeating the same slope.Spa breaks - The spa includes a hammam, hot tub, sauna, gym and a range of massage treatments on offer.Swimming Pool - Heated indoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel
CampZero Active & Luxury Resort Champoluc 30 rooms from £416Active Holiday - Ski outside the resort and inside use the rock climbing wall and ice wall. Being active is the name of the game here!Restaurant - Choose between fine dining at Summit restaurant or the brasserie style Cliffhanger's GrillSwimming Pool - 25 metre indoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet
A contemporary wood-clad resort set beside the Monterosa ski resort. Designed for the actively-inclined; an indoor rock climbing wall dominates the lobby and there's an ice wall during the winter. In the evenings guests can unwind in the spa before sipping on a cocktail in the trendy bar. See More
Principe delle Nevi Cervinia 32 rooms from £685Skiing - Cervinia is one of Europe's best ski destinations with slopes for all abilities and the property is ski-in ski-outSpa breaks - The Balinese spa is an indulgent way to end a day on the slopesRestaurant - Snowflake gourmet restaurantSwimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor pools
A hot contender for Cervinia's finest contemporary hotel. A selection of suites and rooms are spacious and stylish and boast spectacular views from the picture windows. Pick a SPA suite for an in-room hot tub. Meanwhile downstairs there is a fully-fledged spa, gourmet restaurant, and apres-ski! See More