Search the best hotels in Cervinia
Lying at the end of the Aosta Valley, on the Italian side of the Matterhorn, lies the modern purpose-built ski resort of Cervinia. Perched at at a 2050m altitude, boasting the most snow-sure well-groomed pistes that Italy has to offer, Cervinia is the perfect place to go for a family skiing holiday: with arguably the best learn-to-ski area in Europe (350km of pistes overall), a fantastic apres-ski scene that includes a treasure trove of slope-side bars, delectable (and cheap) pizzerias, spas, swimming pools, ice rinks and shops, both adults and children love the variety that Cervinia has to offer. Far from being a picturesque and old chalet-laden resort, Cervinia is peppered with modern buildings reflecting the imperious austerity of pre-WW2 Italy, and though it borders the Swiss resort of Zermatt - a place that the more experienced skiers can head to for higher and steeper slopes by merely upgrading their ski pass - the prices are significantly lower than they are in Switzerland. The best places to stay in Cervinia are ideal for families and boast large suites and rooms.
What not to miss
- Kick back in a slope-side bar and enjoy the wonderful apres-ski scene!
- Ski down the 22km route from Klein Matterhorn to the village of Valtournenche - it boasts a 2300m drop!
- If you're there in the summer, why not go glacier skiing?
- Summer visitors should also get out and about either on one of the numerous hiking paths, or for the more adventurous there's a wealth of mountain bike trails.
- Serious climbers might also want to have a go at conquering the Matterhorn.
Don't forget that if you're planning to visit over Christmas, New Year or the February school holidays, the best places to stay in Cervinia will be extremely busy. So you'll need to book well in advance to avoid disappointment.
The best places to stay in Cervinia
- Le Neiges d'Antan: a traditional Alpine lodge nestling amidst the meadows of the Aosta Valley, offering rustic rooms with antique furniture and parquet flooring; there's a restaurant, an extensive wine cellar and a pampering spa. A value-chic nest for families.
- Saint Hubertus Resort: a fantastic 4-star that's ideal for large families, offering Alpine-style rustic apartments with hi-tech kitchens, marble bathrooms and stone fireplaces; there's an extensive spa and a superb restaurant serving the best of local produce. You can't beat it!
- Hotel Hermitage: lying at the foot of the Matterhorn, this stylish 5-star is set amidst ancient larches, and offers rooms adorned in dark wood and gorgeous fabrics, plus gorgeous views of the mountainside and valley. Enjoy dining on organic cuisine or pampering yourself in the enormous spa. Expensive but worth every penny.
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- This is Italy's most snow-sure resort, so going in late autumn or early spring doesn't hinder your ability to ski. The best time to go is early spring, between March and April, when the temperature ranges between -6 and 2 degrees. During winter, it reaches lows of -7! If you're planning a summer visit the average daily high in July and August is around 14 degrees celcius.
- Fly to Turin Caselle, and take the SkiLifts transfer shuttle to Cervinia. The journey takes roughly 1.30 hours.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our picks in the Aosta Valley
- or our recommendations in Zermatt (just the other side of the Matterhorn),
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Cervinia
Les Neiges d'Antan 9 rooms from £70Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia)
A traditional Alpine hotel set amid the meadows of the Aosta Valley. Rustic rooms feature antique wooden furniture, parquet flooring and floral bedspreads. There is a restaurant with an extensive wine cellar and an indulgent spa boasting an ice bath, gym, whirlpool tub, sauna and Turkish bath.Spa breaks - The spa includes an ice bath, whirlpool tub, Turkish bath, gym, Finnish sauna and a range of massage treatments.Skiing - Cervinia has Italy's longest ski season and offers runs for all abilities.Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains offer a host of outdoor pursuits.Restrictions on children - Adult only.
Saint Hubertus Resort 18 rooms from £316Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia)
Award-winning 4-star boutique hotel, offering Alpine-styled warm and rustic apartments with stone fireplaces, marble bathrooms and hi-tech kitchens. Boasting a spoiling spa and fabulous regional restaurant. A winter-wonderland just minutes from the ski slopes.Spa breaks - Wellness centre includes an indoor pool, jacuzzi, Turkish Bath, sauna, hydromassage pool, facial treatments and massages.Active Holiday - Very close to ski lifts and the hotel plans heliski rides to the top of untouched mountains.Swimming Pool - Heated indoor pool.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Hotel Hermitage 38 rooms from £403Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia)
An elegant 5-star hotel at the foot of the Matterhorn, surrounded by ancient larches. Rooms are furnished in dark woods and fine fabrics. Set 6,726 feet above sea level with beautiful panoramic views of the mountains. Ideal for skiers and outdoor enthusiasts.Skiing - Boasting one of the largest ski areas in the Alps, the slopes allow all day skiing without ever repeating the same slope.Spa breaks - The spa includes a hammam, jacuzzi, sauna, gym and a range of massage treatments on offer.Swimming Pool - Heated indoor pool.Opulent