Search the best hotels in Cervinia
Cervinia sits just under the Matterhorn — or Monte Cervino, as it is known in Italy — close to the Swiss border, and Zermatt. But saying Cervinia is “under” the Matterhorn makes it sound too low — at 2050m, Cervinia is a fantastic high-altitude ski resort, with lots of snow; a ski season which often runs between October and May; incredible views; and incredible access to a vast range of ski terrain. And the best places to stay in Cervinia are significantly friendlier in price than those on the Swiss side of the Matterhorn! They include traditional ski hotels in the compact village centre, with its great Italian restaurants, and above the village in ski-in ski-out lodges.
Cervinia is a great ski resort for intermediates, with lots of long runs. Most of the pistes are above 2000m, and get plenty of snow and plenty of sunshine. There is good scope for beginners too, with nursery slopes close to the village, then a flat plain just above it, and gentle blue runs graduating upwards. After your day on the slopes, there’s a great après-ski atmosphere in the pedestrianised main street, with its Italian restaurants and bars, ice rinks, shops, spas and swimming pools. And the best places to stay in Cervinia are great for foodies too.
In addition to the Matterhorn, or Monte Cervino, Cervinia is breathtakingly surrounded by the Jumeaux, the Château des Dames, the Fruggen, and the Grandes Murailles summits. There are glaciers and peaks, alpine pastures and dramatic ridges — the town really began as a centre for climbers and mountaineers, before ski mountaineering took off in the19th century, at which point Cervinia became one of the world’s first ski destinations. But far from being a picturesque and old chalet-laden resort, Cervinia is peppered with modern buildings reflecting the imperious austerity of pre-WW2 Italy, and some of the best places to stay in Cervinia will impress those with an interest in architecture, as well as skiing, climbing or hiking.
The Best Places to Stay in Cervinia
For a Special Occasion
- Hotel Hermitage is one of the most idyllically positioned hotels on our list; it sits right at the foot of the Matterhorn, in a clearing of ancient larch trees. This is a wonderfully traditional chalet, built of local stone and wood that you can see everywhere. Its communal areas retain that wonderful alpine cosiness, while its 38 rooms and suites have been redecorated to make sure they’re as cosy and comfortable to contemporary guests as they always have been — expect dark wood and natural colours. At 6,726 feet above sea level you can pretty much guarantee spectacular views — except when the snow is falling too thickly to see! The spa is excellent, as is the restaurant, and the wine list won't disappoint either.
In Central Cervinia
- Just a few minutes walk from the closest ski lift, the Sertorelli Sport Hotel is central and convenient, with 70 rooms and suites and plenty of alpine charm. This is a proper ski hotel, with plenty of pine, furs and open fireplaces, and a fantastic spa. It also has a very well regarded Italian restaurant.
- The Hotel Da Compagnoni is a traditional ski hotel, with cosy charm and plenty of pine. There are just 27 rooms and suites, the majority with small balconies, and our Gurus recommend you aim high, because the top floors have the best views. There’s also a small spa and a bar. There’s no restaurant, but there are plenty within a short stroll, and they offer a hearty breakfast. Some of the rooms are ideal for families too.
- The Saint Hubertus Resort is a collection of spacious suites and apartments, complete with self-catering facilities and comfortable living space. The rustic interiors are cosy, but stylish, with stone fireplaces, yet high-tech kitchens. Outside are larch and pine forests, and towering over them guests can see the Matterhorn. There’s a restaurant and champagne bar, if you need either, and it’s only five minutes walk from the ski lifts.
- The Hotel Bucaneve is a great choice for outdoors folks and skiers. Its location is spectacular, under breathtaking alpine peaks, its 66 rooms and suites are super comfortable and cosy, and it has an exceptionally good, and large, wellness centre geared up to recovering aches quickly. The heated indoor pool helps too. Rooms range in size, so this is good for families too.
- The Principe delle Nevi is a wonderful re-imagination of the traditional chalet idea — the designers kept the exposed stone and toffee-coloured woods in the communal areas, but opted for pale wood and a Scandinavian, high design edge in the 32 generously proportioned rooms and suites. Although relatively small in guest numbers, the Principe has an impressive spa offering — and it’s possible to have your own hot tub in your room or on your private terrace. There’s a gourmet restaurant, a chic bar for stylish après-ski, and slope-side location.
For Great Value
- Le Neiges d'Antan is a traditional Alpine lodge, just below Cervinia in an Aosta Valley meadow. There’s still great access to the slopes in the ski season, and those returning from the mountains may appreciate the whirlpool baths, hammam, ice bath and sauna. They also offer massage treatments. There are only nine rooms, decorated with alpine antiques. The views are incredible.
For a Private apartment or villa
- If you’re looking for a self-catering option browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com
- There are lots of ways into the Aosta Valley, depending on where you’re starting out from, and how you want to travel, but the closest international airports to Cervinia are Turin Airport, about an hour and a half away by car or taxi, and about three and a half hours by public transport; Milan Malpensa Airport, which is about two hours away by car, or three and a half hours by bus; and Geneva Airport, which is about two and a half hours away by road, or five hours by bus. If you’re travelling by train, you will probably arrive via Geneva, Turin or Basel. But there are plenty of options overland.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- If you’re coming to ski, the ski season in Cervinia is pleasantly long, usually starting around the end of October and running all the way through to late April. It’s busy over Christmas, New Year, and the February school holidays, so book well ahead if you want to travel in those periods. If you’re visiting the Aosta Valley to hike, or mountain bike, most people plan for the late spring and early summer, to avoid too much snow, while maximising the fresh, alpine beauty.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in the Aosta Valley
- Consider some of the Aosta Valley’s other ski resorts. Try best places to stay in Courmayeur, quieter La Thuile, big Champoluc or historic Aosta
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Cervinia
Best Hotels in Cervinia
Les Neiges d'Antan Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia) 9 rooms from £69Spa breaks - The spa includes an ice bath, whirlpool tub, Turkish bath, gym, Finnish sauna and a range of massage treatments.Skiing - Cervinia has Italy's longest ski season and offers runs for all abilities.Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains offer a host of outdoor pursuits.Restrictions on children - Adult only.
A traditional Alpine hotel set amid the meadows of the Aosta Valley. Rustic rooms feature antique wooden furniture, parquet flooring and floral bedspreads. There is a restaurant with an extensive wine cellar and an indulgent spa boasting an ice bath, gym, whirlpool tub, sauna and Turkish bath. See More
Hotel Da Compagnoni Cervinia (Breuil) 27 rooms from £126Skiing - Located in one of Europe's best ski destinations, Cervinia, which has a wide range of slopes for all abilitiesFamilies - The reasonably priced rooms and easy access to the slopes makes this a good choice for familiesFull of characterTraditional
A charming traditional property in the heart of Cervinia. Cosy rooms feature sink-into beds, pine furniture, and large bathrooms. A small spa, complete with a sauna and hot tub, are a welcome respite after a day spent on the slopes. A laid-back atmosphere in a central location. See More
Sertorelli Sport Hotel Cervinia (AO) 70 rooms from £191Skiing - Cervinia resort has been voted as one of the best resorts in Europe offering wide and varied slopes set over two valleysSpa breaks - Come for the Wellness Centre complete with hot tub, sauna, and Turkish bathFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A charming Alpine hotel located just minutes from the nearest ski lift. Traditionally inspired rooms feature plenty of pine, yet the design is simple and contemporary, while the bathrooms are an indulgent affair. Renowned for its excellent spa; the Italian restaurant is also particularly good. See More
Saint Hubertus Resort Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia) 18 rooms from £312Spa breaks - Wellness centre includes an indoor pool, hot tub, Turkish Bath, sauna, hydromassage pool, facial treatments and massages.Active Holiday - Very close to ski lifts and the hotel plans heliski rides to the top of untouched mountains.Swimming Pool - Heated indoor pool.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Hotel Bucaneve Cervinia 66 rooms from £361Active Holiday - A luxurious and cosy base to hike, ski, or bike fromSpa - Wellness centre with pool, hot tub, Sauna World and treatment roomsSwimming Pool - Heated indoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.
A charming four-star property located right in the heart of Cervinia. Traditional interiors see pine-clad walls, wooden furniture, roaring fires, and antiques. However, the amenities are contemporary with indulgent bathrooms and a spoiling wellness centre. A cosy Alpine stay. See More
Hotel Hermitage, Cervinia Cervinia (Breuil-Cervinia) 38 rooms from £398Skiing - Boasting one of the largest ski areas in the Alps, the slopes allow all day skiing without ever repeating the same slope.Spa breaks - The spa includes a hammam, hot tub, sauna, gym and a range of massage treatments on offer.Swimming Pool - Heated indoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel
Principe delle Nevi Cervinia 32 rooms from £685Skiing - Cervinia is one of Europe's best ski destinations with slopes for all abilities and the property is ski-in ski-outSpa breaks - The Balinese spa is an indulgent way to end a day on the slopesRestaurant - Snowflake gourmet restaurantSwimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor pools
A hot contender for Cervinia's finest contemporary hotel. A selection of suites and rooms are spacious and stylish and boast spectacular views from the picture windows. Pick a SPA suite for an in-room hot tub. Meanwhile downstairs there is a fully-fledged spa, gourmet restaurant, and apres-ski! See More