The Hotel Guru is pretty upscale but fun to look at. Marcie Ellers.
Search the best hotels in Cozumel
Just off Quintana Roo and the Yucatán Peninsula, Isla Cozumel is a Caribbean island with great beaches, an excellent reef diving and snorkelling scene and a cruise ship port. But beyond those things everyone knows about the island, Cozumel still has a few surprises up its sleeve. Like the fact that it’s not that touristy beyond the tourist area, where you’ll find a quiet, authentic places with friendly townships, small Mayan ruins, some spectacularly windswept scenery and to top it all off, a distinctive Carribean vibe. The best places to stay in Cozumel are, unsurprisingly, found on quiet stretches of beach.
The beaches of Cozumel are renowned for a number of things: pristine white sand, scintillating turquoise waters and, on the eastern side of the island, a level of intimacy unmatched by the rest of Mexico. The waters are clear and warm, ideal for scuba diving, and beaches like El Cielo are especially suited to divers, where you can swim amongst coral heads and sponges, toadfish and tropical fish, and spot underwater caves.
The Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park is a protected site and affords the very best scuba diving potential, where you can find loggerhead sea turtles, queen conches and black coral, and it is also a place of extraordinary natural beauty. The Mayan ruins of San Gervasio are well worth the visit, a site overgrown with wildflower and teeming with iguanas.
What not to miss
- Spot dolphins from the beach!
- Go scubadiving at the Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park.
- Lounge on one of the secluded and intimate beaches on the eastern side of the island.
- Check out the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio.
- Go snorkelling at El Cielo beach.
Unsurprisingly, this is a popular spot, so to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Cozumel we recommend booking well in advance.
The best places to stay in Cozumel
- The Explorean: offering creamy, clean and contemporary rooms with gorgeous views. In the arms of the jungle and right on the beach, there is a fantastic restaurant, secluded gardens and a swimming pool. Ideal for couples seeking seclusion.
Value for money
- Hotel B: effortlessly chic hotel that's excellent value for money. Boasting its own private beach, spa, gourmet restaurant and superb cocktail bar and live music venue, plus daily beach yoga. A perfect little tropical hideaway.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Most people arrive on Cozumel via ferry from Playa del Carmen, but Cozumel does have an international airport.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is between March and June when the temperature ranges between 22 and 31 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cozumel
Hotel B 45 rooms from £91Cozumel
With its own stunning private beach this hotel is a relaxing retreat. Has its own pool, restaurant and bar as well as spa facilities ideal for unwinding after a day on the sea; beach yoga, gourmet dining, cocktails with music sessions on the floating bar, pool, gardens- there is something for all.Diving - A great base for exploring Cozumel Island’s famous coral reefs. The on-site diving shop can arrange diving and snorkelling tripsHideaway - A place surrounded by Caribbean greenery and a creative spirit, designed for awakening your senses and enjoying small pleasuresGreat walks - beautiful walks along the beach where you can catch the most stunning sunsetsSpa - Spa facilities and wellness packagaes including yoga classes
The Explorean 56 rooms from £203Cozumel
Right on the beach and surrounded by jungle, this is an ideal destination for nature lovers and active types, with all activities and tours arranged by the hotel included in the price. With its own bar, restaurant and pool on site, a perfect base to unwind with rooms situated in stand-alone casitas.Sights nearby - San Gervasio is the island's most important archaeological site, where you can learn about the mysteries of the Mayan cultureGreat walks - A stunning walk to the centre of the island is organised by the hotel, included in the priceBack to Nature - Right on the Caribbean Sea and surrounded by jungle; features on-site snorkellingKayaking - Kayaking tours can be arranged with the hotel (and included in the price)