The 11 Best Hotels in Hawke's Bay
Hawke's Bay is a region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island which is renowned for its beaches and wineries. This is a destination for many; whether you are coming for the surfing, gastronomy, hiking, adventure pursuits or Art Deco architecture, there is plenty to do here. The best hotels in Hawke's Bay give access to both the coast and wineries. However, there are a vast choice of properties to choose from which is why our hotel experts have scanned the region and hand-selected a concise list of their favourites ranging from charming colonial-era boutiques to luxuriously converted farmhouses set in remote and picturesque settings. Chosen on their location, amenities, and design - why not browse through our collection to start planning your next break?
For a B&B
- Tequila Sunrise B&B is a contemporary property commanding spectacular ocean views and backed by thick tropical forest. Four spacious glass-fronted rooms lead out onto the garden while the focal point of the property is a large terrace complete with BBQ. Offering its own wines, this is a great choice for groups to take in its entirety.
- Cobden Garden B&B is a colonial-style B&B a short walk from Napier Port. Charming rooms are traditionally dressed with antiques and chintz fabrics. There are plenty of dining options nearby plus a host of activities from wine tasting to hiking or adventure pursuits. A homely and well-priced option to explore the region from.
- Breckenridge Lodge is a boutique lodge with homely design set in an enviable spot offering 360-degree views of chardonnay vineyards. The owner and chef make this a real foodie's destination - serving five-course meals paired with regional wines.
- Art Deco Masonic Hotel is an iconic Art Deco hotel in Napier, the 'Art Deco capital of the world'. Expect elegant period luxury in a town filled with interesting history. Featuring a superb bar and restaurant plus there are a number of gastronomic and wine festivals in the region and several highly-acclaimed restaurants. A foodies paradise!
- Craggy Range Cottages is a unique wine and food experience set in a remote location. Individual cottages are contemporary and light and feature private pools, terraces (designed to sip a glass of wine on), and wood-burning stoves. The restaurant is superb and wines award-winning.
For a boutique stay
- Porters Boutique Hotel is a smart hotel offering luxury accommodation. Spacious rooms are sleek and contemporary while dining options range from a sophisticated restaurant to a laid-back bistro, plus there's a bar to sample wines of the region. A great choice for a couples' escape.
- The Crown Hotel Napier is an old-meets-new boutique hotel, with art deco features, set on the waterfront in the charming fishing village of Ahuriri in Napier. Retro styled suites are light and bright with floor to ceiling windows. With spectacular views and plenty to explore locally - this is a great spot for an active break.
- McHardy Lodge is a luxury boutique lodge in easy reach of the Boardwalk Beach and Napier Port. Rooms are elegant and traditional with fabulous, indulgent bathrooms. Complete with a pool and billiards room, this is a relaxing base to explore the scenic region from.
For a rural escape
- The Farm at Cape Kidnappers offers luxury accommodation in the heart of 6000-acre sheep farm. Rooms are rustic and elegant yet with modern amenities and fantastic sea and farm views. Book this property for the great walking, riding and mountain biking tracks on the property, as well as birdlife. A family-friendly rural retreat.
- Greenhill Lodge is a high-end property on 73-acres of lush farmland. Charming antique-filled rooms come complete with working fireplaces and free-standing baths. Boasting an outdoor swimming pool, gym and three-storey viewing turret. A great choice for a romantic getaway.
- The Manse is a luxury lodge bordering the Gimblett Gravels and Ngatarawa wine regions. Elegant guestrooms have country charm. An authentic country retreat, complete with an excellent restaurant that uses local produce to create outstanding dishes. Another option well suited to couples.
Still not sure where to book?
- Look through the best wine hotels in Hawke's Bay.
- Expand your search to include all our North Island recommendations.
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Tequila Sunrise B&B RD2 Napier 4 rooms from £133Groups - With just four rooms this is an ideal choice for groups wanting to rent out a place in its entiretyActive Holiday - There's plenty to do locally between the wineries, the beaches and the tropical forestGreat walks - There are beautiful walks starting straight from the property's front doorViews - The property enjoys magnificent views over both bay and city
A small contemporary B&B commanding spectacular ocean views and backed by thick tropical forest. The four bedrooms are spacious and chic with sliding doors leading out onto the garden. A large terrace features a professional BBQ, best used and enjoyed with the property's own wines. See More
Breckenridge Lodge RD3 Napier 4183 5 rooms from £370Foodies - Five course dinners are served using local produce and paired with regional winesRestaurant - Gourmet 5 course dinners with daily changing menus and many ingredients grown in the lodge's organic kitchen gardenGreat walks - Napier is the Art Deco capital of the world - take a guided walking tour to learn about the townRestrictions on children - Children over 13 are welcome
A boutique lodge set in an enviable spot offering 360-degree views of chardonnay vineyards. The five rooms are all individually styled and have a homely feel. The owner and chef make this a real foodies destination - serving five-course meals paired with regional wines. Ideal for a romantic break. See More
Porters Boutique Hotel Hastings (Havelock North) 42 rooms from £125Families - Adjoining rooms and nanny services are available plus there's plenty of in-house entertainment for childrenActive Holiday - Hawke's Bay is known for its adventure activitiesFishing - Fly-fish in tranquillity with Grant Petherick Fly Fishing toursRestaurant - Recommended.
A smart hotel offering luxury accommodation in Hawke's Bay. Spacious rooms are sleek and contemporary with sink-into beds, rain showers and private balconies. Eating options range from a sophisticated restaurant to a laid-back bistro plus there's a bar to sample wines of the region. See More
Cobden Garden B&B Napier (Bluff Hill) 3 rooms from £123Local exploring - Whether interested in culture, food and wine, nature and wildlife or something more active, there's plenty to explore locallySights nearby - Stroll down the Marine Parade Rotary Walkway to the National Aquarium, enjoying the vista across the deep green Pacific OceanFishing - The Hawke’s Bay region has a great diversity of fishing opportunitiesSeaside - Very close to Napier Port
The Crown Hotel Napier Napier (Ahuriri) 39 rooms from £127Local exploring - Overlooking the stunning waterfront in historical seaside village Ahuriri, Napier, with sun, sea and landscape on your doorstepGreat walks - From coastal strolls through to multi-day walks around Lake Waikaremoana, Hawke’s Bay is a walkers paradiseFishing - Hawke's Bay is home to some of New Zealand's best fishing and huntingRomantic - Good for couples.
An old-meets new boutique hotel, with art deco features, set on the waterfront in the charming fishing village of Ahuriri in Napier. Retro styled suites are light and bright with floor to ceiling windows, softly patterned fabrics and large living areas. A charming base to explore the region from. See More
Art Deco Masonic Hotel Napier South 43 rooms from £137Foodies - Recognised the world over for its fine wine and fresh produce, Hawke's Bay is a gastronome's dream destinationLocal exploring - Napier is known as the Art Deco Capital of the world and is famous for its jazz age architectureRestrictions on children - Adult onlySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
An iconic Art Deco hotel in the 'Art Deco capital of the world'. Expect elegant period luxury and a town dripping with interesting history. Featuring a superb bar and restaurant; a great base during the annual Art Deco Festival or the numerous gastronomic and wine festivals in the region. See More
Craggy Range Cottages Hastings (Havelock North) 9 rooms from £209Foodies - The restaurant uses local organic produce in creative dishes inspired by traditional cuisine (well paired with house wines)Country Escape - A unique experience to stay on a remote and award-winning vineyard with spectacular views and wines to enjoy that withRomantic Break - With fine-dining, wine tasting, and secluded luxury accommodation, this is perfect for a romantic breakGreat walks - Take long walks through the scenic estate
A unique wine and food experience set in a remote location in picturesque Hawke's Bay. Individual cottages are contemporary and light and feature private pools, terraces (designed to sip a glass of wine on), and wood-burning stoves. The restaurant is superb and wines award-winning. See More
McHardy Lodge Napier (Hospital Hill) 6 rooms from £280Local exploring - Enjoy the attractions of Napier and Hawke’s Bay- wineries, Art Deco Heritage, the Gannet Colony and golf at Cape KidnappersWeddings - The ideal venue for the intimate wedding party or for bridal party preparationsSights nearby - Stroll down the Marine Parade Rotary Walkway to the National Aquarium, enjoying the vista across the deep green Pacific OceanFishing - The Hawke’s Bay region has a great diversity of fishing opportunities
Luxury boutique lodge in easy distance of the Boardwalk Beach and Napier Port. Elegant rooms feature polished wooden floors, antiques, rich hues and indulgent bathrooms (the best of which have free-standing baths). Featuring a pool and billiards room. A relaxing base to explore the scenic region. See More
The Farm at Cape Kidnappers Hastings (Te Awanga) 23 rooms from £380Golf - Private, award winning golf courseFamiliesBirdwatching - Cape Kidnappers is the home of the largest mainland gannet colony in the worldGreat walks - Variety of trails including forest, ocean and cliff walksRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Charming luxury accommodation in the heart of 6000-acre sheep farm. Rooms are rustic and elegant, with top modern amenities and fantastic sea and farm views. Great walking, riding and mountain biking tracks on the property, as well as birdlife. Family-friendly rural retreat. See More
Greenhill Lodge Hastings (RD4) 5 rooms from £387Views - Viewing turret 3 storey's high looks across gardens and Te Mata PeakBack to Nature - Set on 73 acresSwimming Pool - OutdoorRemote - Off the beaten track.
The Manse Hastings 2 rooms from £350Romantic Break - At just two guestrooms and with a peaceful rural setting, book this hotel for a tranquil couples' getawayFoodies - Foodies are well-catered to at this gastro hotel, with chef-prepared meals made from local, fresh produceCountry Escape - Set on a working farm in Hawke's Bay, this hotel offers an authentic country retreatCooking classes - Hawke's Bay is a hub for food tourism; take hotel cooking classes to learn how to prepare dishes with fresh produce