Search the best hotels in Hawke's Bay
About Hawke's Bay
The Hawke’s Bay region stretches around Hawke’s Bay from Cape Kidnappers to the Mahia Peninsula via Hastings, Napier and Wairoa. This was one of the original British colonies, chosen for its flat, fertile land and warm, sunny climate. Some of the best places to stay in Hawke’s Bay are the old farmsteads and lodges, many of which have been converted into small, but luxurious hotels or B&Bs. As well as proving successful for sheep farming and crop growth, which were the original colony’s main trades, this land has also been ideal for dairy and cattle farming and wine growing. So it’s a great place for foodies who like their scenery dramatic!
What Not To Miss
- The Hawke’s Bay region is known for its Art Deco era architecture, with both Napier and Hastings boasting some of New Zealand’s finest 30s and 40s era structures. Unfortunately much of this was built after a deadly earthquake flattened many buildings in the area, but the result is charming for modern visitors.
- Napier is very much the sunny seaside town, while Hastings is more of a commercial hub, set in amongst orchards between dramatic Te Mata Peak and the sea.
- If you’re in search of a perfect beach then the Mahia Peninsula will be a pleasure to your eye, with its bright blue sea, dramatic cliffs and pristine sand.
- But the Hawke’s Bay region is more about the land than the centres. There’s Te Urewera National Park with its massive expanse of virgin forest and vast central lake, Lake Waikaremoana - the Sea of Rippling Waters; the Ruahine Ranges, which slice between Hawke’s Bay
- Pay a visit to the Central Plateau, offering a dense, wild forest perfect for exploring on foot; and the Whirinake Forest with its dramatic canyons and waterfalls.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Hawke's Bay make ideal bases to explore this fascinating and beautiful region, whether you're here for the wineries, the beach or the National Park.
- The Farm at Cape Kidnappers is a six thousand acre sheep farm with a charming, 23 room hotel. The accommodation is rustic but elegant, with incredible views of both the bay and the farm. There’s some amazing birdlife in this area, and the farm is criss-crossed with walking, riding and mountain biking trails.
- Greenhill Lodge is a beautiful five room lodge set in 73 acres of lush farmland. The rooms are charming, with open fireplaces, freestanding baths, private terraces and antique furniture. There’s also a pool, gym and three storey viewing turret.
For an Apartment
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a range of superb properties in both the urban centres and remote regions ensuring a property for all occasions.
- Fly to Hawke's Bay Airport, located only 6km (3.7 miles) from Napier. The airport provides domestic connections to other airports in New Zealand, including Auckland and Wellington.
- Alternatively, catch an InterCity bus which serves most large Urban areas in the North Island.
- If you'd like to rent a car to explore the beautifully diverse region, for prices visit our online partner, Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer from December to February typically provides the warmest weather for those looking to relax on the beach or explore the beautiful surroundings.