Search the best hotels in George
Reached by the scenic Montagu Pass, this former timber hub is now a prominent transport centre and boasts one of the most convenient airports along the Garden Route. Founded in 1811, George boasts some beautiful period buildings, including the tiny St Mark’s Cathedral and more imposing Dutch Reformed Mother Church. Our recommendations will show you the best places to stay in George for boutique luxury and total relaxation.
Five miles inland, George is a popular golfing holiday destination and is home to a selection of championship golf courses, including Fancourt Country Club and Kingswood Golf Estate. From golfing to mountain trails, it boasts a long list of outdoor activities to get stuck into. With plenty of charming, well-positioned places to stay, and some world-class facilities, little old George has some excellent options to choose from.
What not to miss:
- Take your pick and book a round at two of the best golf courses along the Garden Route, Fancourt Country Club and Kingswood Golf Estate.
- George Museum has exhibits on the local timber industry and is a great insight into the Garden Route's history. Transport enthusiasts will enjoy the Outeniqua Transport Museum, which has a wide collection of steam trains and vintage cars.
- Explore the Garden Route Botanical Gardens, which feature numerous trails and local fynbos plants.
- Head out on The Kaaimans River, a popular popular spot for hiking and white-water kayaking.
Our selection of the best places to stay in George provides a wide range of charming hotels in this quaint, historic town. Use our guide and start to plan your visit now.
The Best Places to stay in George
For value chic
- Providing excellent value, Loerie Lodge provides large en-suite bathrooms with family suites available too. There's a delightful outdoor garden, plus a pool, not to mention breakfast included in the price.
- Intimate, beautifully designed, Whispering Oaks Guest House ensures guests a cosy stay. Behind its Edwardian façade, white palettes are juxtaposed with soft lighting and antique furnishings. A home-cooked breakfast is served. You'd be hard-pressed to get such stylish interiors at this price elsewhere along the Garden Route.
- Set against the backdrop of the magnificent Outeniqua Mountains, 9 Fern Rest is an ideal family stay. This two-bedroom cottage, with open-plan living, includes indoor and outdoor lounge and dining areas, as well as a fully-equipped kitchen — not to mention sprawling gardens and plenty of activities nearby.
For a boutique stay
- Out of town, along the coast, the clue is in the name at Views Boutique Hotel & Spa, set on a rocky outcrop, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, it's a modern coastal stay. Interiors are cool and nautical, plus you'll find luxurious bathrooms with huge tubs and private terraces for soaking up the vista.
For a guest house stay
- Delightful, three-bedroom, owner managed property, Malvern Manor, located on a working dairy farm, provides a wonderfully bucolic stay. Enjoy a homemade breakfast, and soak up the South African sunshine from the saltwater pool.
- A little rugged in places, Over The Mountain Guest Farm delivers on the price and homely service. Located just off the Montagu Pass, this 19th-century guest house forms part of the original town of Herold. There's even an inviting Tea Room popular with cyclists.
For all-out luxury
- Surrounded by manicured grounds and nearby golfing, Fancourt Hotel provides leisure and luxury in equal measure.
For golfing enthusiasts
- With its own 18-hole golf course, Oubaai Hotel Gold & Spa spoils guests with plenty of spa treatments and excellent dining.
- If you want to rent self-drive to explore the scenic Garden Route, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Alternatively, George Airport is but a 10-minute drive from town, with daily flights from Cape Town International Airport.
- For the best weather aim to visit between November and February, where temperatures are usually in the high 20°Cs. Between May and September see the coldest weather, though temperatures seldom drop below double figures.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Knysna, Mossel Bay, and Wilderness.
- Take a look at our guide to The Garden Route.
- Or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in George
Best Hotels in George
Over The Mountain Guest Farm George 8 rooms from £40Country Escape - This country house is located in a rural idyllValue chic - Excellent value in a beautiful locationGreat walks - There are some excellent trails, leading directly from the hotelCooking classes - Learn the local flavours with an in-kitchen cooking lesson
Forming part of the original 19th-century town of Herold, this quaint farmhouse is located just off the Montagu Pass. Simple yet traditional rooms are the height of comfort, but here it's all about the great outdoors. There's an inviting Tea Room popular with guests and cyclists alike. See More
Whispering Oaks Guest House George 5 rooms from £47Local exploring - Walking distance from many of George's attractionsValue chic - Equal parts chic and excellent valueGreat walks - The beautiful Garden Route Botanical Gardens, within close proximity, are well worth a visitSights nearby - There are plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance
This traditional looking guesthouse conceals the most charming boutique-chic interiors. White palettes are combined with soft lighting and furnishings. Choose from single, large doubles, and family accommodation - the largest with a kitchenette and private balcony. A home-cooked breakfast is served. See More
Loerie Lodge George 24 rooms from £52Value chic - Great value accommodation in an excellent locationGreat walks - Through the Garden Route Botanical Gardens, a short stroll awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Contemporary-chic accommodation at an excellent price. Family suites are available, and all rooms include tea and coffee making facilities and large, modern bathrooms. There's an inviting pool and an excellent breakfast spread in the morning. A short walk from the town of George. See More
9 Fern Rest George 2 rooms from £80Families - Enormous gardens and spacious living: a great holiday home for familiesLocal markets - Held every Saturday morning, Outeniqua Farmers' Market is popular with locals and tourists alikeSights nearby - Children will enjoy strawberry picking at Redberry FarmGreat walks - Moments from the Garden Route Botanical Gardens
Quaint little two-bedroom cottage set amidst manicured gardens, against the backdrop of the magnificent Outeniqua Mountains. Ideal for families, this open-plan living includes indoor and outdoor lounge and dining areas, as well as a fully-equipped kitchen. Plenty of activities nearby. See More
Malvern Manor George 3 rooms from £98Country Escape - Located on a working dairy farm this traditional style Cape Dutch house is the ultimate rural escapeSailing - Whale watching, seal spotting, shark diving: all can be booked through the propertySights nearby - Another working farm, you can pick your own berries at Redberry Strawberry FarmGreat walks - There are plenty of excellent walks right from the property
Charming three-bedroom guesthouse, located on a working dairy farm. Owners Sandra and Michael are excellent hosts: "nothing is too much trouble". Enjoy a homemade breakfast, and soak up the South African sunshine from the saltwater pool. Chic suites and homely interiors make for a comfortable stay. See More
Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa George 100 rooms from £101Total relaxation - Lavish suites, a spa, golfing, and fine dining: bliss!Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Views Boutique Hotel & Spa George 26 rooms from £180Great walks - Along the pristine Wilderness BeachSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Nestled upon a cliff-edge this hotel offers modern, spacious interiors decorated in nautical palettes of sky and sea. Rooms are wonderfully spacious, with the best including sea views and capacious baths. Choose from self-catering options and some excellent spa treatments. An indulgent stay. See More
Fancourt Hotel George 68 rooms from £293Total relaxation - Spa? Golf? The Great Outdoors? However you relax, there are plenty of optionsSailing - Take a ferry out onto Knysna LagoonSwimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor poolsRomantic - Good for couples.
The ultimate leisurely getaway. With nearby golfing, an indulgent spa, and both a kids club and teenager's lounge, there is something for everyone. Plush suites are the height of luxury with soft furnishings and large ensuites. Enjoy a casual drink at The Club Lounge or fine dining at Henry White's. See More