Search the best hotels in Mossel Bay
About Mossel Bay
Dating back to the 15th-century, Dutch seafarers frequented this sleepy bay in search of the fruits from which it takes its name: mussels. Formerly, a popular harbour town, it has enjoyed a small renaissance, since it slid into decline in the 1980s. As a result, Mossel Bay now boasts that untouched, nostalgic seaside charm that so many travellers are looking for: turn-of-the-century architecture, ice-cream kiosks, and minigolf galore. Our recommendations will show you the best places to stay in Mossel Bay from self-catering stays to luxury lodges.
Less popular than some of its neighbours, Mossel Bay is one of the Garden Route's best-kept secrets, meaning guests here can look forward to some competitive prices. From coastal hikes to jumping out of a plane, there is something to suit every interest. With excellent surfing, pristine beaches, and a long list of outdoor pursuits, Mossel Bay is an ideal destination for active types.
What not to miss:
- Walk or surf on Santos Beach, the widest and most popular in the area, or traverse the craggy trail to the 19th-century Cape St. Blaize Lighthouse.
- A fascinating visit for those interested in South Africa’s maritime history, Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex should not be missed. It’s also home to The Post Office Tree, which has been used as a mail collection point since the 1500s.
- Pack your walking boots: trekking and wildlife enthusiasts will love the St Blaize Hiking Trail.
- Take a tour of the Point of Human Origins. These caves are known as the archaeological site of the earliest artefacts of modern humans.
Brownse our selection of the best places to stay in Mossel Bay and start to plan your visit to this charming harbour town.
The Best Places to stay in Mossel Bay
For sea views
- A luxurious and contemporary option, Marine Manor on the Beach could hardly be closer to the ocean if it were right in it.
- A modern hotel, with private balconies and far-reaching sea views, African Oceans is a great boutique option.
For a self-catering stay
- A little bit of Scandi-chic on the Western Cape, Asgard Valhalla provides guests with an authentic fisherman’s cottage stay.
- A collection of cottages in the Fransmanshoek Conservancy area, Sandpiper Cottages boasts cosy exposed brick interiors and open fireplaces.
For those on a budget
- Providing fun and contemporary accommodation, The Urban is easy going and easy on the purse strings.
- Charming, owner-managed B&B, Betty’s Boutique Hotel is known for its quaint interiors, superb breakfast and afternoon teas. It’s great value too.
- If you want to rent self-drive to explore the scenic Garden Route, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Alternatively, Mossel Bay Airport located just a 15-minute drive from town, with daily flights from Cape Town International Airport.
- To get the best of the weather aim to visit between November and February. Between May and September see the coldest weather, when the coastline can be very dramatic.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Knysna, George, Wilderness, Plettenberg Bay, and the Western Cape.
- Or take a look at our top picks from The Garden Route.
- Alternatively, contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Mossel Bay
Best Hotels in Mossel Bay
The Urban Mossel Bay (Western Cape,) 4 rooms from £42Value chic - A great value, modern stay. Ideal for younger travellersSailing - Boat trips take off from Romanza, just 6 km awaySurfing - On nearby Mossel BaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
This four-bedroom guesthouse provides low-key living in Mossel Bay. Trendy interiors provide the perfect backdrop for this coastal getaway. Off-street parking, a fully-stocked kitchen, and open-plan living and dining areas provide homely comforts. A buffet breakfast is an added bonus. See More
Sandpiper Cottages Mossel Bay (Western Cape) from £46Country Escape - Experience the slow pace of life in a rural South African fishing village, along the Garden RouteValue chic - Excellent value for the whole familyGreat walks - There are miles of coastal pathways to be exploredFishing - Do as the locals do in this sleepy fishing town
Nestled amidst the Fransmanshoek Conservancy area, Sandpiper's eight self-catering cottages provide a peaceful stay in the rustic fishing village of Boggomsbaai. Spacious, open-plan kitchen, living, and dining areas are ideals for families. Plenty of outdoor activities from birding to sand duning! See More
Asgard Valhalla Mossel Bay (86 Montagu St,) 7 rooms from £54Beach Life - Scandi-style interiors with seaviewsFishing - Early morning fishing trips: bring home your catch and pop it on the 'braai'Diving - Mossel Bay is a famed shark cage diving spotSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
One of Mossel Bay's most popular picks this Scandi-style stay provides self-catering accommodation (with optional breakfast) with beautiful interiors. Right along the Garden Route, it boasts an excellent location within walking distance of the beach and shops. A great value family stay. See More
Betty's Boutique Hotel Mossel Bay (Western Cape) 6 rooms from £60Local exploring - Walking distance from many of Mossel Bay's attractions and just 1km from the seaGreat walks - Along the pristing beauty that is Santos Beach, awarded Blue Flag statusSailing - Head in search for whales on a Romanza Boat tripFull of character
Quaint, quirky, one-of-a-kind. Dating back to 1903 this six-bedroom hotel provides a comfortable stay with ocean views. Each room features hardwood floors, floral quilts, colourful curios, and en-suite bathrooms. A delicious home-cooked breakfast and afternoon tea are served. See More
Le Port Guesthouse Mossel Bay 4 rooms from £60Value chic - Excellent value in an excellent locationGreat walks - Santos Beach is just a 1km stroll awaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
New Stone Manor Mossel Bay 5 rooms from £67Value chic - Great value, traditional style accommodationSights nearby - The unusual, Post Office Tree (yes, it really is a tree) was used by Portuguese explorers as a post officeGreat walks - The Blue Flag Santos Beach is just a 1km walk awaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Dating back to 1880 this five-bedroom family home boasts a wraparound balcony to make the most of its coastal views. Heritage style interiors create a homely feel, whilst roll-top baths add to the charm. There's a pool, a proper South-African braai set-up, plus a hearty English breakfast is served. See More
Marine Manor on the Beach Mossel Bay (Western Cape) 8 rooms from £123Families - Beautiful family suites and lots of activities to keep everyone busySights nearby - A little further afield, children will love exploring the Cango Caves or nearby ostrich farmsSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
With its stunning coastal location, Marine Manor on the Beach is a perfect stay for families and couples. Suites, decorated in light and breezy nautical palettes, boast unrivalled sea views and enormous en-suite bathrooms. Dining is superb plus there are plenty of excellent restaurants close by. See More
African Oceans Mossel Bay 5 rooms from £216Romantic Break - Private dining and picnic platters: this property provides some great couples experiencesBeach Life - Rooms boasting seaviews remind you that you're never too far from the beach!Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Boutique
Stylish, modern suites, each boasting sea views. Every room has unique decor with vibrant colours and large en-suite bathrooms. Private alfresco dining makes for a romantic evening and the cuisine is exemplary and all locally sourced. A great place to stay in a superb location. See More