Search the best hotels in Mossel Bay
About Mossel Bay
Dating back to the 15th-century, Dutch seafarers frequented this sleepy bay in search of the fruits from which it takes its name: mussels. Formerly, a popular harbour town, it has enjoyed a small renaissance, since it slid into decline in the 1980s. As a result, Mossel Bay now boasts that untouched, old-school seaside vibe that so many travellers are looking for: turn-of-the-century architecture, ice-cream kiosks, and minigolf galore. Our recommendations will show you the best places to stay in Mossel Bay to experience this coastal gem.
Less popular than some of its neighbours, Mossel Bay is one of the Garden Routes’ best-kept secrets, meaning guests here can look forward to some competitive prices. From coastal hikes to jumping out of a plane, there is something to suit every interest. With excellent surfing, pristine beaches, and a long list of outdoor pursuits, Mossel Bay is an excellent destination for the lover of the great outdoors.
What not to miss:
- Walk or surf on Santos Beach, the widest, and most popular in the area or traverse the craggy trail to the 19th-century Cape St. Blaize Lighthouse.
- A fascinating visit for those interested in South Africa’s maritime history, Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex should not be missed. It’s also home to The Post Office Tree, which has been used as a mail collection point since the 1500s.
- Pack your walking boots: trekking and wildlife enthusiasts will love the St Blaize Hiking Trail.
- Take a tour of the Point of Human Origins, caves known as the archaeological site of the earliest artefacts of modern human beings.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Mossel Bay ensures that there really is something for everyone in this charming harbour town.
The Best Places to stay in Mossel Bay
For a boutique stay
- A luxurious and contemporary option, Marine Manor on the Beach could hardly be closer to the ocean if it were right in it.
- A modern hotel, with private balconies and far-reaching sea views, African Oceans is a great boutique option.
For a self-catering stay
- A little bit of Scandi-chic on the Western Cape, Asgard Valhalla provides guests with an authentic fisherman’s cottage stay.
- A collection of cottages in the Fransmanshoek Conservancy area, Sandpiper Cottages boasts cosy exposed brick interiors and open fireplaces.
For those on a budget
- Providing fun and contemporary accommodation, The Urban is easy going and easy on the purse strings.
- Charming owner-managed hotel Betty’s Boutique Hotel is known for its quaint interiors, superb breakfast and afternoon teas. It’s great value too.
For something truly special
- All out luxury, Gondwana Game Reserve provides a very wild stay, just a 25-minute drive from the beach.
- If you want to rent self-drive to explore the scenic Garden Route, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Alternatively, Mossel Bay Airport located just a 15-minute drive from town, with daily flights from Cape Town International Airport.
- To get the best of the weather aim to visit between November and February. Between May and September see the coldest weather, when the coastline can be very dramatic.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Mossel Bay
The Urban 4 rooms from £42Mossel Bay (Western Cape,)
This four-bedroom guesthouse provides low-key living in Mossel Bay. Trendy interiors provide the perfect backdrop for this coastal getaway. Off-street parking, a fully-stocked kitchen, and open-plan living and dining areas provide homely comforts. A buffet breakfast is an added bonus.Value chic - A great value, modern stay. Ideal for younger travellersSailing - Boat trips take off from Romanza, just 6 km awaySurfing - On nearby Mossel BaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Sandpiper Cottages from £46Mossel Bay (Western Cape)
Nestled amidst the Fransmanshoek Conservancy area, Sandpiper's eight self-catering cottages provide a peaceful stay in the rustic fishing village of Boggomsbaai. Spacious, open-plan kitchen, living, and dining areas are ideals for families. Plenty of outdoor activities from birding to sand duning!Country Escape - Experience the slow pace of life in a rural South African fishing village, along the Garden RouteValue chic - Excellent value for the whole familyGreat walks - There are miles of coastal pathways to be exploredFishing - Do as the locals do in this sleepy fishing town
Asgard Valhalla 7 rooms from £54Mossel Bay (86 Montagu St,)
One of Mossel Bay's most popular picks this Scandi-style stay provides self-catering accommodation (with optional breakfast) with beautiful interiors. Right along the Garden Route, it boasts an excellent location within walking distance of the beach and shops. A great value family stay.Beach Life - Scandi-style interiors with seaviewsFishing - Early morning fishing trips: bring home your catch and pop it on the 'braai'Diving - Mossel Bay is a famed shark cage diving spotSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Betty's Boutique Hotel 6 rooms from £60Mossel Bay (Western Cape)
Quaint, quirky, one-of-a-kind. Dating back to 1903 this six-bedroom hotel provides a comfortable stay with ocean views. Each room features hardwood floors, floral quilts, colourful curios, and en-suite bathrooms. A delicious home-cooked breakfast and afternoon tea are served.Local exploring - Walking distance from many of Mossel Bay's attractions and just 1km from the seaGreat walks - Along the pristing beauty that is Santos Beach, awarded Blue Flag statusSailing - Head in search for whales on a Romanza Boat tripFull of character
Le Port Guesthouse 4 rooms from £60Mossel Bay
Luxury guesthouse accommodation with views across the picturesque Mossel Bay. Each of Le Port's four rooms is decorated with French shabby chic flair. Home-away-from-home living provides guests with every comfort. Outdoor dining overlooking the pool is a welcome treat.Value chic - Excellent value in an excellent locationGreat walks - Santos Beach is just a 1km stroll awaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
New Stone Manor 5 rooms from £67Mossel Bay
Dating back to 1880 this five-bedroom family home boasts a wraparound balcony to make the most of its coastal views. Heritage style interiors create a homely feel, whilst roll-top baths add to the charm. There's a pool, a proper South-African braai set-up, plus a hearty English breakfast is served.Value chic - Great value, traditional style accommodationSights nearby - The unusual, Post Office Tree (yes, it really is a tree) was used by Portuguese explorers as a post officeGreat walks - The Blue Flag Santos Beach is just a 1km walk awayOutstanding location
Marine Manor on the Beach 8 rooms from £123Mossel Bay (Western Cape)
With its stunning coastal location, Marine Manor on the Beach is a perfect stay for families and couples. Suites, decorated in light and breezy nautical palettes, boast unrivalled sea views and enormous en-suite bathrooms. Dining is superb plus there are plenty of excellent restaurants close by.Families - Beautiful family suites and lots of activities to keep everyone busySights nearby - A little further afield, children will love exploring the Cango Caves or nearby ostrich farmsSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
African Oceans 5 rooms from £216Mossel Bay
Stylish, modern suites, each boasting sea views. Every room has unique decor with vibrant colours and large en-suite bathrooms. Private alfresco dining makes for a romantic evening and the cuisine is exemplary and all locally sourced. A great place to stay in a superb location.Romantic Break - Private dining and picnic platters: this property provides some great couples experiencesBeach Life - Rooms boasting seaviews remind you that you're never too far from the beach!Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Gondwana Game Reserve 28 rooms from £427Mossel Bay (Western Cape)
A four-hour drive from Cape Town airport, this 26,000-acre private game reserve provides the ultimate Out Of Africa experience, in a convenient location. Rustic luxury lodges are perfect for couples and the family. There's a spa, fine dining, as well as enough activities to keep you busy for weeks!Families - Cycling, horse safari, fishing, hiking, as well as a dedicated kids club - they'll never want to leaveBack to Nature - Choose between the African bushveld and its rugged coastlineKids Club - Fully staffed.Romantic - Good for couples.