Search the best hotels in Salamanca
A spellbinding city of golden sandstone buildings with grand Renaissance façades, Salamanca has captured the hearts of travellers for centuries. Fusing timeless charm with a youthful energy fuelled in part by its significant student population, this is a fabulous destination for a holiday — or for a longer study trip, with many people coming to Salamanca to study languages. Accommodation options range from elegant city-centre B&Bs to restored rural manor houses, fit for couples, friends and families alike. Intimate and historic, the best places to stay in Salamanca are also fantastic reflections of the city itself.
Begin your explorations on the enormous Plaza Major, built of sandstone quarried from just outside town, centuries ago. Brilliant for people watching, this imposing square is the real heart of the city, and wonderful for admiring heritage architecture whilst sipping an evening tipple or two. Salamanca has not one, but two cathedrals: the 12th-century Romanesque Old Cathedral, and the intricately decorated New Cathedral. Both tower over the old town and have hugely impressive interiors. There are striking landmarks aplenty across the city, but the 15th-century House of Shells, whose exterior is decorated with 350 sandstone shells, is a particular standout.
Though Salamanca is steeped in history, it’s also a lively university city. The university buildings are gorgeous, and student-led events abound. Check out the ever-changing programme of live music, arts and literary events ahead of your trip, or speak to the teams at the best places to stay in Salamanca for their top recommendations. Beyond the city lie the beautiful hills and plains of the Castile-León region, perfect for exploring on foot, bicycle or horseback during the long spring, summer and autumn months.
The Best Places to Stay in Salamanca
For the City Centre
- Hotel Rector has just 13 spacious guestrooms set behind a classic stone façade in the city centre. A chic B&B base with cream and gold furnishings, embroidered linens and an effortless sense of style. Speak to the team for top city recommendations.
- Grand Hotel Don Gregorio also has a sophisticated feel, with 17 contemporary rooms featuring polished wooden floors, crisp white linens and indulgent bathrooms. The full spa, stylish bar and gourmet restaurant all add to the appeal of this romantic city bolthole.
For a Rural Escape
- Hacienda Zorita Wine Hotel & Spa, set on the Tormes River, offers traditional guestrooms in a restored 700-year-old monastery. Think thick stone walls, exposed oak beams, a refreshing swimming pool and carefully manicured gardens. Michelin-starred Chef Victor Gutiérrez heads up the acclaimed restaurant. A rural gem.
- Castillo del Buen Amor is a beautiful castle surrounded by verdant gardens and its own vineyards. Opulent rooms and suites have vaulted or coffered ceilings, rich tapestries and cosy beds. The regional restaurant is excellent, and the wine tastings are a real treat. Families will appreciate the swimming pool and grounds, too. Simply wonderful.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Salamanca Airport, just 20 minutes from the city and easily accessible by shuttle bus or taxi. Alternatively, journey to Madrid Barajas Airport and travel 2-3 hours by road or rail from there. Many hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- Castile-León is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect warm and sunny climate throughout much of the year, with temperatures averaging at around 25°C - 30°C between April and September. Do be aware that the summer is peak holiday season, but slightly cooler spring and autumn temperatures may be more appealing for activities. You'll also find fewer crowds outside the school holiays in April, May or late September.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Valladolid.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Castile-León.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Salamanca
Best Hotels in Salamanca
Castillo del buen Amor Salamanca (Km.317) 8 rooms from £78Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.Traditional
Hacienda Zorita Wine Hotel & Spa Salamanca (Valverdón) 40 rooms from £121Wine tasting - Taste the fabulous wines which are produced on the estate. You are in the heart of the Duero ValleyFoodies - The restaurant is headed up by Michelin-starred chef Victor GutiérrezSights nearby - The historic city of SalamancaSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Traditionally elegant hacienda hotel in a 700 year old monastery, located on the River Tormes and overlooking magnificent vineyards. Thick stone walls, monastic bedrooms, exposed oak beams and secluded swimming pools in a tranquil garden. A vast cellar and delicious food. See More
Hotel Rector Salamanca 13 rooms from £174City Style - Hotel can provide superb, personalised advice on the historic city, and this is a sublime base to which to return toSights nearby - San Esteban Convent and Old Cathedral of SalamancaRomantic - Good for couples.BoutiqueRecommended by - Tablet, Sawdays
Grand Hotel Don Gregorio Salamanca 17 rooms from £190City Style - Walking distance from the historic cathedrals, with utter peace indoors with the spa, 5* service and elegant roomsGreat walks - In Huerto de Calixto and Melibea gardensSights nearby - Plaza Mayor5* Luxury - Very high service standards.