- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Vitoria-Gasteiz
You might not have realised that Vitoria-Gasteiz is the capital of the Basque Country. It's a surprisingly modest city, as far as the outside world is concerned, but one with a truly wonderful old centre, the kind of pintxo (Basque tapas) bars and restaurants you'd expect from the capital of such a food-loving region, and an art gallery to rival Bilbao's. So as you'd expect, the best places to stay in Vitoria-Gasteiz, if you want to get the most from the city, are those to be found right in its centre.
Maybe Vitoria-Gasteiz is so confident of its desirable attributes that it doesn't need to shout about it! And the same can be said for some of the understated charmers on our Guru's list of the best places to stay in Vitoria-Gasteiz.
One of the charms of Vitoria-Gasteiz's old town is the fact that the medieval names of the narrow streets have been kept - and they pretty much describe the business which went on along each of them. The old town is where you'll find the famous Catedral de Santa Maria, which sticks out of the skyline like the highlight it is.
There are a number of other impressive churches to wonder at, and it's the beauty of its municipal buildings and squares that befits Vitoria-Gasteiz's importance as a regional capital.
Vitoria-Gasteiz also has some exceptional museums, including the Artium art gallery, a museum dedicated to weaponry and armour, a natural history museum and an archaeological museum.
Despite being the Basque capital, it might be useful to know that Spanish is still the main language of Vitoria-Gasteiz.
As well as its own appeals, Vitoria-Gasteiz is just over 60kms from Bilbao, just over 100kms from San Sebastian, and just to the south is the La Rioja wine region. You're right in the physical heart of the region too. So if you don't like the look of our pick of the best places to stay in Vitoria-Gasteiz, there's plenty of other options close by.
For a chic central stay
- La Casa de los Arquillos is an eight room hotel with a B&B vibe and chic, minimalist decor. Beautifully lit with natural light, this is a great base for the attractions, and restaurants of Vitoria-Gasteiz - you're right by the cathedral.
For value for money
- The Hotel Araba is a sophisticated, 20 room hotel with chic, simple decor and floor to ceiling windows. There’s a very good restaurant specialising in Basque cuisine and you’re close to the attractions of Vitoria-Gasteiz. Doubles start from just €72 per night.
For an apartment
- If you think you'd prefer the independence that you'll get from a city centre apartment, then check out the selection with our online partner, booking.com.
- Nearest airport - Bilbao is about 75km to the north
- When to visit - Vitoria-Gasteiz is a great year round destination, but the warmest months are June to September when average hghs are around 25 degrees celcius.
- For the best car hire prices, we recommend our online partner Holiday Autos.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Vitoria-Gasteiz for you?
Best Hotels in Vitoria-Gasteiz
Hotel Araba 20 rooms from $86Vitoria-Gasteiz
A sophisticated and grown up hotel with good links to the city centre. The chic simple rooms feature crisp white linen, floor to ceiling windows, parquet flooring and contemporary bathrooms. The long-standing restaurant serves exemplary regional cuisine. An ideal base for a city break.City Style - A chic modern hotel complete with contemporary rooms, excellent restaurant and within walking distance of the city centre.Value chic - With smart accommodation starting from as little as €72 per night, it's excellent value for money.Local exploring - An excellent base for exploring both Vitoria-Gasteiz and the surrounding Basque countrysideSights nearby - Visit the Vitoria Cathedral and wander around the historic centre.
La Casa de los Arquillos 16 rooms from $91Vitoria-Gasteiz
A fantastic little hotel with a B&B vibe. A traditional building in the Vitoria-Gasteiz's old town with just eight minimalist chic rooms, a further eight lofts, lots of natural light, and all the mod cons. Excellent value and right next to all the attractions and best restaurants.Local exploring - An excellent base for a break in Vitoria-Gasteiz or exploring the wider are including the Rioja wineriesValue chic - Beautifully chic rooms and lofts with prices from as little as €80 per night.Sights nearby - The Cathedral of Santa Maria and Florida Park.Traditional - A traditional building with modern interiors.Recommended by - Sawdays