- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Zermatt
Zermatt:is the village at the foot of the Matterhorn. With the skyline dominated by this hulk of weathered rock you’re sure to enjoy some awe-inspiring scenery. But let’s look beyond this world famous alpine icon and find out what it really has to offer and where the best places to stay in Zermatt really are.
With year round glacier skiing and the highest skiing in the Alps, Zermatt is blessed with guaranteed snow. You’ll probably be able to work on your panda eyes as wel,l as Zermatt is said to be bathed in sunshine for three hundred days of the year.
With over 360km of pistes in the winter, Zermatt is a vast skiing area and even gives you the option of skiing in 2 different countries on the same day. The run down into Cervinia, Italy, is as charming as the rest of the resort and can be accessed on the whole area lift pass.
Zermatt has almost endless, fantastic piste skiing with the 13km run from the Klein-Matterhorn, descending 2200m to Zermatt perhaps the most spectacular. The more experienced skier won’t be disappointed either as the yellow itinerary routes on offer present some challenging and engaging skiing. If the budget stretches, the opportunities for heli-skiing are magnificent.
What not to Miss
- Obviously the skiing or snowboarding!
- If snow sports aren’t your bag, have no fear: Zermatt offers plenty more besides. From shopping or the cinema in the winter orparagliding to golf in the summer.
- Take a trip on the Gornergrat Railway on a sunny day. From the top you can see an astonishing twenty nine 4000 metre peaks! Simply awesome.
- In summer months hike the 5-Seenweg (five lakes walk). It's just under 10km in lenght, but the views and scenery are spectacular.
- Zermatt also has a number of galleries and museums to visit for those looking for culture.
- The superb food. The Gault-Millau guide rates Zermatt as the most concentrated area of gourmet restaurants in Europe and many visitors come back for the quality of the restaurants alone. There is no end to the choice available, from experimental cooking to the most traditional of local recipes.
Zermatt has an extensive range of hotels, and whilst many fall into the luxury bracket, we've managed to eke out a few which will suit those on a more restricted budget. Below, The Hotel Guru has singled out the choicest pickings of the best places to stay in Zermatt.
For the Best Views
- The Omnia overlooks Zermatt and has stunning views of the Matterhorn. The cuisine is gourmet, the library cosy, the bar elegant and the spa has a plunge pool and Turkish bath. Suites have log fires and jacuzzis.
- The Hotel Europe is a luxurious mountain lodge with stunning views. Close to the Zermatt-Furi lift and you’ll have access to their heavenly wellness centre and chic restaurant.
- Impeccably designed, the Hotel Matterhorn Focus is beautiful both inside and out. It has 30 rooms and a stylish spa. Great in summer for the hiking as well as winter for the skiing.
- The Matterhorn Lodge is a beautifully designed mountain lodge with 17 gorgeous rooms mixing traditional materials with contemporary design and fantastic views. There’s a lively bar and an open fire in the lounge.
- At the foot of the Matterhorn the Hotel Firefly has 15 suites themed around the elements. Modern with an alpine feel, the decor is heavy on leather and open fires. Suites have kitchens and astonishing views.
- Built in 1855, Hotel Monte Rosa is certainly not short on history. The headquarters of Whymper’s expedition which first conquered the Matterhorn, the Monte Rosa now merges traditional Alpine interiors with undeniable comfort.
- The Hotel Alex is a large but quirky family-run hotel with 84 rooms and suites. Plenty of nice features, think hand-turned furniture, whirlpool baths, a children’s playground and exquisite wood carvings.
- With its simple unaffected atmosphere and central location the Hotel Parnass is a fantastic family option. The extravagant five course dinners will keep everyone quiet, at least for a little while.
Close to the Slopes
- Hotel Phoenix could not be more ideally suited. Just a couple of minutes from the main lifts Hotel Phoenix represents excellent value for money and will dazzle you with views of the Matterhorn.
- The Hotel Bellerive is a chic, 26 room hotel in central Zermatt right by the cable car station. The decor is contemporary and luxurious - some rooms even have private hot tubs and/or views of the Matterhorn peak.
- Le Petit Hotel seems to be made from a wedge of Swiss cheese. This affordable and very central spot lends itself to high revelry.
- Perren is also situated very centrally and offers slightly more comfort than Le Petit. The ‘exciting’ atmosphere is certain to get everyone in the mood
- The Mont Cervin Palace is a five star hotel with great views of the Matterhorn and 150 elegant, cosy rooms. There’s a choice of fine dining in any one of the four restaurant and a soothing spa.
- The Grand Hotel Zermatterhof has been welcoming guests to its 77 rooms since 1879. You can see that they certainly know how to deliver five star service. The spa is perfect and the restaurant has won 14 points from Gault Millau.
- Riffelalp is Europe’s highest 5-star resort. Far away from the main town you’re unlikely to worry about too many worldly cares. The opulence at such altitude should help to distract you.
- The Cervo Mountain Boutique Resort is a luxurious boutique ski resort with ski-in access available to some chalets which can be rented by the room or as a whole ‘house’. Each chalet has a wellness centre with sauna, jacuzzi and massage room.
- The Hotel Matthiol is a classic chalet hotel in the foothills of the Matterhorn less than a mile from the slopes and surrounded by hiking and biking trails.
For great spa facilities
- The intimate Coeur des Alpes has 21 rooms and 6 suites. Secluded, contemporary and über cool in wood, stone, steel and glass, the hotel also has an impressive lobby with a glass floor - under which is the swimming pool! The spa has EVERYTHING.
- The Backstage Boutique Spa Hotel has a great spot in the centre of town and offers guests 19 chic rooms and suites with wonderful views, fabulous furnishings, art gallery, bar and exclusive spa experience.
- The Wellness Hotel Alpenhof is a family-run hotel in a great position right next to the train station. As well as a wellness spa and indoor and outdoor pools the hotel has lovely wooden floors and a gourmet restaurant.
- The Unique Hotel Post is a superb modern hotel with 29 rooms in the heart of Zermatt. Sleek and comfortable, the hotel has open fires, luxurious bathrooms and an unmissable spa.
- The Hotel Julen is a family-run hotel with loads of personality. There are 32 large rooms and suites with romantic details and plenty of wood, sheepskins and antlers. With a lovely restaurant and bar, three storey spa, pool and gym.
- Fluhalp is a traditional alpine hotel only accessible on skis or by foot. There are just four simple rooms, and prices start from around £57 per night. Please note that the Fluhalp is only open for hotel bookings during the summer months. In the winter season it operates only as a mountain restaurant.
- Parnass is a friendly family-run hotel with stunning views of the Matterhorn from most of the 30 rooms. They serve excellent five course suppers in the dining room - or in the garden in summer - and have the sort of cosy, wooden decor you appreciate coming in off the slopes. Rooms start from around £70 per night.
- The Hotel Welschen is a charming, rustic, chalet style hotel with easy access to the centre of town and the Sunnegga lift. There are 16 rooms starting from around £120 per night.
For an Apartment or chalet
- If you’d prefer to stay in a self catering apartment or chalet we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- The closest airports to Zermatt are Zurich, three and a half hours away, and Geneva, four hours away. From there it’s a car journey to Täsch, followed by a 12 minute train journey. Or you can travel to Zermatt by train, which is spectacular and convenient - the final stop being in Bahnhofplatz Zermatt, right in the centre of town.
- If you want to hire a car - which you might drive to Zermatt, but will need to leave outside town (Zermatt is a car free village) - we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- If you’re here for the snow then November through January is the best time of year to visit - please book well in advance. The snow lasts longer than the main season though, so if you’re looking for a good deal then Zermatt in March or April might still offer you some great skiing. If you’re here for the summer activities the best time is between June and September.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Zermatt
Perren 70 rooms from £105Zermatt (Switzerland)
An excellent choice for a three-star, centrally placed hotel. A traditionally decorated chalet providing comfort and mountain views, as well as a sociable lounge, restaurant and bar. The larger 'deluxe' rooms make an excellent choice for families. A small gym and sauna available for guest use.Active Holiday - Zermatt is renownded for its world class skiing and fantastic hiking trails.Value chic - Incredible value for this part of the worldGreat walks - 400km of hiking trailsTraditional
Hotel Welschen 16 rooms from £120Zermatt
Charming, rustic, chalet style hotel, close to Sunnegga lift and easy access to the heart of Zermatt. Comfortable and great value without all the bells and whistles.Skiing - 2 mins to the Sunnegga liftTraditional - Chalet styleGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Phoenix 27 rooms from £130Zermatt (Switzerland)
A stylish contemporary hotel - both functional and characterful, rustic and peaceful. Deluxe rooms overlook the Matterhorn. Enjoy an apres ski drink in the attractive bar with quarrystone, rustic wood, and lots of natural light. Great value for money.Families - Located in the quiet Wiesti quarter, but within a ten minute walk of the action- ideal for parents with young children.Great walks - Wander along the wooden walkways to view the Gorner gorge.Views - Of the Matterhorn.Full of character
Le Petit Hotel, Zermatt 22 rooms from £116Zermatt (Switzerland)
Located in the centre of Zermatt, Le Petit Hotel is a fantastic base just 150m from the main street. A rooftop terrace gives fantastic mountain views. Comfortable beds and cosy bedrooms. Ideal for those who spend most of the day on the slopes and the evenings out. A good value sleeping spot.Active Holiday - A world class skiing resort with 400km of hiking routes in the summer months.Skiing - Just a 7 minute walk from the central ski liftsGreat walks - Scenic mountain walking routesViews - Great views from hotel
Fluhalp 4 rooms from £156Zermatt (Switzerland)
Traditional Alpine mountain inn accessible only on skis or by foot. In the winter, it's only the restaurant that is open. Late June to October, great value for money and perfect for groups - you can choose between four bed rooms or dormitories. Ideal as an overnight stop off.Groups - Fluhalp has a variety of acccommodations ranging from 4 bed rooms to dormitories - ideal for trekking groups.Value chic - Providing excellent rates in an expensive areaActive Holiday - Right on the slopesRemote - Accessible only by skis or on foot!
Hotel Matthiol 33 rooms from £140Zermatt
Fully renovated in 2015, this property offers luxurious rooms in the foothills of the Matterhorn. The hotel has a quiet, peaceful ambiance and is perfect for an active holiday with the nearest ski slopes less than a mile away and plenty of local hiking and cycling on offer during the summer.Back to Nature - Located in the foothills of the iconic Matterhorn peakGreat walks - Beautiful nearby hiking routes up the MatterhornSecluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotel
Julen 32 rooms from £172Zermatt (Switzerland)
Romantic family-run hotel full of personality. Large wooden-clad rooms and suites with romantic decorations and splashes of bright colour. Sheepskins, flowers, and antlers adorn the public rooms. Lovely restaurant and bar, and a three-storey spa, pool and gym. A cosy Alpine base.Total relaxation - Unwind in style off piste with three story spa, sauna and steam baths, followed by cocktails and fine wines.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolViews - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Frommers
Parnass 30 rooms from £174Zermatt
Friendly family-run hotel with stunning views of Matterhorn. Warm and homely, wood clad rooms with crisp white linen and cosy living areas. Excellent five course dinners are served in the dining room or garden. Exceptional value for money makes this an ideal choice for families and groups.Active Holiday - A world-class ski resort that caters for sporty guests in endless other activities such as hiking, biking and sledging.Value chic - A stylish property, with warm fires, library and garden, in a prime location offering very reasonable rates.TraditionalViews - Great views from hotel
Hotel Bellerive, Zermatt 26 rooms from £157Zermatt (Riedstrasse 3)
A chic and charming hotel in central Zermatt right next to cable car stations offers contemporary décor, opulent furnishings and all modern comforts. Rooms are luxurious with private hot tubs and views of the Matterhorn peak. A lounge bar has comfortable seating by a fireplace. Very sumptuous.Local exploring - The Ski lift Zermatt - Furi located within walking distanceSpa breaks - Offers a free spa with hot tub and a steam and sauna bathFull of characterOpulent
Hotel Alex 84 rooms from £190Zermatt
Historic and quirky family-run hotel with bags of character. Modern bedrooms and luxury suites with hand-turned furniture and exquisite wood carvings whirl-pool baths. Sociable bar, large pool, and a children's playground. The perfect choice for families.Active Holiday - With skiing on your doorstep plus tennis and squash courts, grotto swimming pool and gym on site, this is a sportsmans fantasy.Spa breaks - A lovely spa to unwind in after a day in the great outdoors featuring saunas, massage rooms, a tepidarium and a sanarium.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolOpulentRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Hotel Matterhorn Focus 30 rooms from £175Zermatt
Featuring a range of gorgeous designer rooms and suites decorated in a contemporary Alpine style. There's plenty of nearby skiing in the winter and hiking in the summer, whilst those on a more relaxing break can spend their days in the spa instead. An uber stylish stay.Great walks - Enjoy stunning mountain walks on the MatterhornDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of characterSpa
CERVO Mountain Boutique Resort from £210Zermatt (P.O. Box 388)
Luxury ski resort places intimacy and enjoyment as top priorities. Each chalet comes with own wellness centre - sauna, jacuzzi, massage room - and ski-to-door access is available. Chalets can be rented by room or as a whole; ideal for large groups to enjoy spectacular views and great skiing.Private villas - Chalets available for rentalViews - Views of the MatterhornSauna/Steam - Sauna in every chaletHills & mountains
Coeur des Alpes 21 rooms from £185Zermatt (Switzerland)
Glamour and intimacy combine to create this scintillatingly contemporary chalet. An impressive lobby with a glass floor that reveals the swimming pool underneath. Bedazzling designs - glass, wood, stone, steel, and chandeliers make up the rooms, suites and lofts. A grown up mountain escape.Spa breaks - A glorious spa with a hammam, caldarium, bio sauna, arvensauna, kneipp pool, infrared sauna and outdoor hot tub.Active Holiday - Situated in a world renowned alpine resort with hiking, biking, skiing, sledging and much much more.Swimming Pool - Luxury indoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel
Monte Rosa 41 rooms from £199Zermatt (Switzerland)
Zermatt’s oldest, most historic hotel. Delightful private balconies and classically styled rooms in neutral tones. A cosy drawing room and sumptuous fine dining room with gorgeous chandeliers. An excellent family-friendly choice for a destination with old world charm.Romantic Break - Classic, stylish accommodation with fine dining and spoiling spaHills & mountains - At the base of the iconic MatterhornSkiing - An extensive skiing resortGreat walks - Gorgeous scenic walking routesRecommended by - Frommers
Backstage Boutique SPA Hotel 19 rooms from £199Zermatt (Hofmattstrasse 4)
In a superb location at the centre of Zermatt, this boutique hotel offers chic glass rooms with free standing bath tubs, wonderful views, fabulous furnishings, great lighting and an exclusive spa experience. A bar with a terrace, an art gallery and design studio on site. Very unique.Local exploring - The Zermatt Railway Station is located out the front door, easy to explore surrounding regions as wellSpa breaks - A unique theme-based spa experience claims to bring together body, mind, art, music and natureGreat walks - Beautiful hikes in the area. Organised tours can be arrangedDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Wellness Hotel Alpenhof 60 rooms from £232Zermatt (Matterstrasse 43)
A family run hotel in a great location. Next door to the train station yet very peaceful. Rooms with wooden floors, furnishings in natural earthy tones, and spacious bathrooms. Gourmet food, a wellness spa and outdoor and indoor pools. Alpine chic.Families - Lots of fun activities, indoors and outdoors. Something to keep the little ones busyActive Holiday - Primarily a ski-resort, there are many other outdoor activitiesSwimming Pool - An indoor pool and an outdoor whirlpoolGreat walks - Hike into the surrounding mountains
Riffelalp Resort 72 rooms from £298Zermatt
Accessible only by mountain rail or path, the Riffelalp is Europe's highest five star resort. Traditionally styled rooms feature pine clad walls and large glass windows. Expect a unique and breathtaking panorama facing the Matterhorn, plus three restaurants, spa and luxury as standard.Spa breaks - Pamper and indulge in the on site spa with schonbiel cave, Finish sauna, massages and Chriiter-Grotta.Active Holiday - Endless adrenelin fuelled activities in the surrounding area plus many inhouse activities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Hotel Europe 37 rooms from £274Zermatt
A luxury lodge boasting stunning mountain views. Contemporary Alpine rooms feature pine clad walls, exposed beams and modern art. A heavenly wellness centre is the perfect place to relieve any aches and pains. A chic restaurant serves up exemplary Swiss cuisine. Mountain perfection.Active Holiday - A stunning base for Alpine exploration situated in one of Switzerland's finest resorts.Skiing - Located near the Zermatt-Furi Ski Lift and the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise Station.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel
Grand Hotel Zermatterhof 77 rooms from £287Zermatt (Bahnhofstrasse 55)
This grand hotel has been welcoming guests since 1879. It boasts tastefully designed rooms with five star services. The Alpine Gourmet Prato Borni restaurant has won 14 points from Gault Millau. The Alpine Spa offers luxury treatments. A fine experience guaranteed.Active Holiday - Lovers of snow can enjoy the area by skiing, hiking and biking. Come home to luxury afterwardsRomantic Break - Luxurious, elegant rooms, a private spa and great choice of restaurants. Good for couplesSwimming Pool - An indoor pool for guestsKids Club - Fully staffed.Recommended by - Tablet
Matterhorn Lodge 17 rooms from £294Zermatt
A chic mountain lodge boasting gorgeous views. Rooms mix traditional materials with contemporary design to great effect. Light and airy, pine clad walls and uber contemporary bathrooms. Apres ski can be found in the lively bar and contemporary fire-lit lounge. A hip mountain base.Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains provide a platform for numerous outdoor activities.Skiing - Zermatt offers guaranteed snow as Europe's highest resort.Views - Great views from hotelSpa
The Omnia 30 rooms from £350Zermatt (Auf dem Fels)
Beautifully constructed contemporary mountain lodge, perched up high overlooking Zermatt. Stunning views of the Matterhorn. Gourmet cuisine, cosy library, elegant bar, spa with outside plunge pool, turkish bath and yoga classes. Luxurious suites come with logs fires, a private jacuzzi or sauna.Spa - Magnifcent spa with well equipped gym, turkish bath, outisde plunge pool, yoga and pilates classes and massage.Outdoor dining - Sunny outside terrace for lunch with views of the Matterhorn and at night-time twinkling views of the village.Restaurant - Chef Patrick Weber produces exquiste seasonal dishes using local ingredients, accompanied by fine wines.WellbeingRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Unique Hotel Post 29 rooms from £318Zermatt
A superb modern hotel nestled at the foot of the mighty Matterhorn, in Zermatt centre. The sleek, comfy rooms boast rustic-chic wooden furnishings, fireplaces and luxorious bathrooms. There are load of trendy bars and gourmet restaurants to choose from, and the spa is not to be missed.Romantic Break - The perfect weekend away for two, with chic suites, in room fires, deep soaking tubs and a range of romantic dining options.Sights nearby - Take the amazing Gornergrat Railway, the highest railway in Europe, to see fantastic views of the Matterhorn.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Spa
Hotel Firefly 15 rooms from £320Zermatt
Fifteen suites at the foot of the Matterhorn, each built to reflect one of the elements: fire, earth, water and air. Truly modern interiors infused with an authentic Alpine feel with wood flooring, leather furniture and open fires. Suites have kitchens, granite baths and astonishing mountain views.Views - Located at the foot of the Matterhorn - breathtaking Alpine views in every direction.Hills & mountainsSkiingBack to NatureRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Mont Cervin Palace 150 rooms from £553Zermatt (Bahnhofstrasse 31)
A 5 star hotel offering great views of the beautiful Matterhorn peak. Rooms are elegant and cosy and come with fireplaces and hot tubs. Fine dining in four different restaurants, a soothing luxury spa and wide selection of wines make this one of the most upscale hotels in town. Chic and grand.Back to Nature - Situated in Zermatt, right below the pyramid shaped Matterhorn peak with wonderful mountain views all aroundFamilies - Family Apartments available with fireplaces and plenty of spaceSwimming Pool - An indoor and outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet