Search the best hotels in Buckinghamshire
Buckinghamshire, or 'leafy Bucks' as those who've fallen for this county's charms call it, has within its boundaries both notable British treasures, like Bletchley Park and Stowe Gardens and some spectacular countryside, including the chalk escapement of the Chiltern Hills. Home of the Prime Minister's country residence, Chequers Court, Buckinghamshire has more than its fair share of beautiful country residences. Some of these have been converted into hotels which have that grandeur that’s come to be associated with the county. For those on a tighter budget, our Gurus recommend that the best places to stay in Buckinghamshire are the area’s charming country inns.
Some of our Buckinghamshire collections:
- The Best Places to Stay in Henley-on-Thames
- The Best Places to Stay in Marlow
- The Best Places to Stay in Aylesbury
- 8 of the Best Places to Stay for the Henley Regatta
- Best hotels for a quick country escape
- 8 of Buckinghamshire's Best Pubs with Rooms
- 6 of the Most Romantic Hotels in Buckinghamshire
- The 4 Best Hotels with Hot Tubs in Buckinghamshire
Buckinghamshire benefits from being close to London, and its expansive woodlands and rolling hills have made it a historic commuter belt haven between the city and Oxford. That's why so many great manor houses have been built here. Proximity to London also played a part in Bletchley's selection to be the home of the WWII code breakers. The facility is now a museum and has the wonderfully complex Enigma machine 'crackers' set up and running and 'Colossus', the world's first computer.
These days it's not just the Prime Minister in residence, Pinewood Studios has a large facility in Buckinghamshire and the county is well known for being Roald Dahl's home.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire's county town, is a charming market town with plenty of history, plus outdoor pursuits too. It's a good base for a quick weekend escape from London or for exploring further afield.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Buckinghamshire range from quintessential country house retreats to charming pubs with rooms - there's something for every taste and budget.
The Best Places to Stay in Buckinghamshire
For a country escape
- Grand, majestic and inviting, with beautifully landscaped parks, Hartwell House is one of those country piles owned by the National Trust and run as a country house hotel.
- Danesfield House Hotel and Spa is an enormous Gothic Victorian castle set in 65 acres with lawns leading right down to the Thames and views over the Chilterns. There are 75 rooms and suites all individually decorated both in traditional and more contemporary styles. But the real treat here is the fabulous Spa Illuminata with its 20m indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room and wide range of spoiling treatments.
- Stoke Park looks like a mini version of the White House, a luxury Palladian mansion turned country house hotel and spa, with championship golf course and indoor and outdoor tennis courts.
- Stoke Place, located just outside Slough, is another wonderful country house hotel, this time in Queen Anne style, though with contemporary rooms and suites, set in 26 acres designed by Capability Brown.
For a town or village location
- The Crown Inn in Amersham is a delightful modern coaching inn with plenty of character and a reputation for good food - and it can be reached by tube from central London!
- The Chequers, located in pretty Marlow, offers contemporary boutique accommodation that's been tastefully decorated - featuring king sized beds and Nespresso machines. Plus there's great food here too.
- Waddesdon's The Five Arrows provides smart accommodation in creamy hues, featuring exposed wooden beams and some rooms with four posters. The 2 AA Rosette restaurant is also top-notch. A wonderfully romantic retreat.
- Marlow's Hand & Flowers blends contemporary fittings with original features to great effect. The food is two Michelin-starred quality, from reknowned chef Tom Kerridge, whilst there's also a spa and lovely garden. A gorgeous spot!
Prefer to stay in an apartment or cottage?
- If you'd prefer the flexibility of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Buckinghamshire's best weather is during the summer months, with the average daily temperature reaching 17°C in July and August. However this is peak season, so for a quieter alternative consider visiting in May or September.
- International visitors can fly into Heathrow Airport, located just outside the county, before taking a train or bus on to your final destination in Buckinghamshire.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Buckinghamshire
Danesfield House Hotel and Spa Marlow-On-Thames, Buckinghamshire 75 rooms from £279Exclusive offer - Mother's Day Offer - Mother & Daughter Spa DayMeeting Room - Numerous, whether you are planning for 4 people or 400Traditional - Country house feelSpa - The Spa Illuminata Danesfield House offers pool, jacuzzi, steam room and a vast range of face and body treatmentsSights nearby - Pretty Thameside town Marlow is just 3 miles away, plus Windsor and Henley are close byRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Romantic French style country house set in 65 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens leading down to the River Thames. 75 Individually designed rooms offer traditional or contemporary interiors and lovely views. Excellent restaurant and spa. Perfect for some downtime away from the city. See More
The Chequers Marlow 9 rooms from £90Short fly break - The Chequers is located just 15 miles away from Heathrow AirportRomantic Break - Boasts a quiet atmosphere, great accommodation and lovely foodSights nearby - If you fancy a fun-filled day out then go visit Legoland-just ten miles away from The Chequers!Sailing - Take a boat trip down the River Thames and enjoy a scenic tour of the area
The Chequers is centrally located in the picturesque town of Marlow. This property features elegantly renovated interiors and offers contemporary, boutique accommodation. Rooms boast king sized beds and a Nespresso coffee machine. Wonderful meals served in the dining room. A lovely little spot! See More
The Stag and Huntsman Henley-on-Thames, Buckinghamshire 9 rooms from £90Sights nearby - Visit beautiful nearby National Trust houses such as Hedsor House and Cliveden House.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.
The Crown Inn, Buckinghamshire Amersham, Buckinghamshire 23 rooms from £95Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet, Sawdays
The Five Arrows Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire 16 rooms from £105Great walks - The Chilterns, with their never ending walking paths, are perfect for ramblers.Full of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A former coaching inn of the Rothschild's Waddesdon Manor, The Five Arrows provides a historic stay in the home county of Buckinghamshire. Pastel coloured bedrooms with exposed beams, some with four poster beds and traditional bathrooms. By all accounts the restaurant is 5*. A gourmet lover's dream! See More
Stoke Place Slough, Buckinghamshire 40 rooms from £105Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.TraditionalRecommended by - Tablet
The Black Horse Bucks, Buckinghamshire 2 rooms from £120Country Escape - A quintessentially Briitish pub complete with roaring fires, a choice selection of ales and hearty food.Great walks - Explore some of the 530 acres of woodland, heathland and grassland at Black Park.Sights nearby - Visit the imposing Cliveden estate and learn about its Royal past.Romantic - Good for couples.
A charming British pub situated in the heart of a quaint village. Feast on exemplary pub fare and choose from an excellent wine list. The two executive suites are cosy yet luxurious with imposing four poster beds and large contemporary bathrooms. Ideal for rural weekends away. See More
Long Crendon Manor Buckinghamshire 3 rooms from £125Sights nearby - Visit the magnificent Notley Abbey, only two miles from the B&B.Great walks - The surrounding area is full of lovely walks.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
History and heritage abound at Long Crendon Manor in rural Buckinghamshire. Atmospheric and dramatic rooms are crammed with antiques and period features plus there's a lovely garden and welcoming hosts. Breakfast in the vast dining room includes home grown pork. A stellar B&B. See More
The Pointer Buckinghamshire 4 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Oxford and Waddesdon to name a few are all nearbyFull of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Romantic - Good for couples.
Hand & Flowers Marlow (Buckinghamshire) from £140Sights nearby - Marlow Suspension Bridge is close to the property and the All Saints Church is in nearby Bisham.Sailing - A boat trip along the Thames is an ideal English summer's day activity.Private Hot Tub - Three of the suites have private terraces with hot tubsGreat walks - Take a stroll through Higginson Park along the Thames.
With two Michelin stars this property serves mouthwatering gourmet food. Rooms are equally forward thinking: contemporary fittings combined with exposed beams, set against a neutral backdrop, some with copper baths. The Angus suite has a private jacuzzi terrace. There is a spa and courtyard garden. See More
The Dog and Badger Marlow, Buckinghamshire 6 rooms from £150Local exploring - A great spot for exploring Buckinghamshire and the River Thames.Sights nearby - Pay a visit to the Queen's world famous residence, Windsor Castle.Great walks - Go for lovely walks along the River Thames.
Stoke Park Buckinghamshire 49 rooms from £265Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolSpaTraditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Hartwell House Aylesbury 52 rooms from £290TraditionalSpaRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Small Luxury Hotels