Search the best hotels in Chipping Campden
About Chipping Campden
There's no shortage of pretty towns in the Cotswolds, but Chipping Campden is especially lovely with a graceful main street lined with postcard-perfect cottages in the Cotswold's golden-stone, where many of the best places to stay in Chipping Campden can be found. We've also tracked down some options that are just outside the town if you perfer a more rural stay. From pubs with rooms to luxury hotels, there really is an option to suit everyone here.
Part of the grace of the town can be attributed to its relative wealth. This was a big wool centre in the Middle Ages and the 'Chipping' part of the name comes from 'cheapen' or market, denoting the town's market town status. You can't miss the grand 17th Century Market Hall in the middle of the High Street and an impressive 14th Century wool merchant's mansion.
As well as grand residences and the extraordinary gardens of Hidcote, just four miles from town, the area around Chipping Campden is also home to several old mills, one of which became a centre for Charles Ashbee's Guild of Handicrafts, an important chapter in the Arts and Crafts movement of the early 20th Century.
The village is a hugely popular destination especially during the busy summer months. So if you want to book a room in one of the best places to stay in Chipping Campden you'll have to plan well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Chipping Campden
- The Cotswold House Hotel is a 25 room Regency era hotel with a useful mix of modern technology and attractive antiques - there's a beautiful grand spiral staircase up to rooms which have Bang & Olufsen TVs. Downstairs there's a choice of public rooms including a fine dining restaurant and a more modern bistro. There are also two acres of well tended gardens for guests to enjoy.
Best Pubs with Rooms in Chipping Campden
- The Seagrave Arms dates back to 1740 and is a commanding, double-fronted property with some beautiful original features. Think open fireplaces and flagstones. There’s also excellent locally sourced food and prize-winning trout fishing nearby.
- The Ebrington Arms is located in a pretty village just outside Chipping Campden. There are five luxuriously appointed rooms that are the epitome of rustic chic, plus downstairs you'll find hearty pub fare and locally brewed beer.
For a restaurant with rooms
- Woolmarket House is a stunning property attached to the well-known Mediterranean eaterie, Michaels. The four rooms have been beautifully done with designer fabrics and antique furnishings, all of which perfectly complement the property's historic quirks - think wooden beams and sloping ceilings. A stylish central stay.
For great value
- The King’s Hotel is a handsome hotel boasting 19 modern rooms and an award-winning, oak-beamed restaurant showcasing local ingredients.
Prefer an Apartment or cottage?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private cottage we recommend you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Birmingham International Airport is the closest airport to Chipping Campden and is well connected to the rest of the UK and Europe. From there it’s a short, scenic drive south. Or you can arrive by train to Moreton-in-the-Marsh, just five miles away from Chipping Campden. You’re also just ten miles from Stratford-upon-Avon and about 15 miles from Oxford.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you want to stay in Chipping Campden and see more of the Cotswolds - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The Cotswolds is one of those destinations where every season has something to warrant a visit. In winter it’s quiet, perfect for bracing walks and sitting by a roaring fire in the local pub. In spring you’ll see the daffodils. In summer there’s sunshine and plenty of buzz and in autumn the charing colours are spectacular.
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in the Cotswolds,
- Or our Guru’s recommendations for The Most Romantic Hotels in the Cotswolds?
- Or The Best Pubs with Rooms in the Cotswolds
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Chipping Campden
Best Hotels in Chipping Campden
The Seagrave Arms Chipping Campden (Gloucestershire) 8 rooms from £90Fishing - Hook yourself a prize winning trout in the surrounding rivers and chalkstreams.Sights nearby - Cheltenham and Stratford-upon-Avon are both no more than 20 minutes drive away.Great walks - Walk a portion of the famous Cotswolds Way.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Sawdays
Dating back to 1740 this commanding double fronted Georgian property sits in a quintessentially Cotswolds village. Original features including flagstone floors, sash windows and open fireplaces are complemented with soft patterned linens and comfy beds. Locally sourced food is top notch. See More
The King’s Hotel Chipping Campden 19 rooms from £90Local exploring - Well located within one of the UK's most scenic counties, think historic towns and villages set amidst rolling hills.Foodies - An award winning restaurant serving contemporary British cuisine in cosy surrounds.Great walks - Find miles of picturesque walking trails waiting to be explored.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the imposing Warwick Castle.
The Ebrington Arms Chipping Campden 5 rooms from £110Country Escape - Almost within spitting distance from London and in some of the UK's most scenic countryside this is a weekend away worth taking.Sights nearby - Visit Broadway Tower marked out as the highest castle of the Cotswolds.Great walks - Stroll through the exquisite National Trust's Hidcote Gardens.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming village pub offering that quintessentially British experience. Atmospheric and luxurious rooms are dotted with well placed antiques set against white washed walls. The best have roll top baths. The restaurant serves hearty fare by a roaring fire and the owners even produce their own beer. See More
Woolmarket House Chipping Campden 4 rooms from £140Local exploring - Close to the High St as well as popular country walks, historic houses and gardens, museums and galleriesSights nearby - Head to the Hook Norton Brewery and Broadway Tower or for day trips, visit gems like Blenheim and Warwick CastleGreat walks - Serious hikers will enjoy the 102km Cotswold Way which starts in the villageFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Sawdays
The epitome of Gloucestershire charm, this historic B&B features period details such as wooden beams, exposed brick, tilting ceilings and open fires. Rooms have fine antique furniture and designer fabrics, with pretty village views. Housing a popular Italian restaurant. A delightful rural escape. See More
Cotswold House Hotel Chipping Campden, The Cotswolds 28 rooms from £144Total relaxation - Refresh yourself at this quaint country retreat, enjoy spa treatments, long walks and deep soaking tubs!Sights nearby - Just 5kms away is Broadway Tower a unique Capability Brown Folly Tower which has imressive views.Local markets - Chipping Campden has a whole range of quirky independent shops selling crafts and gifts.Great walks - Explore the Cotswolds countryside, renowned for it's natural beauty and serenity.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
A historic property in the heart of a quaint village. Rooms are modern with indulgent bathrooms - think rain showers and large free standing baths. Open fireplaces give a cosy feel. Relaxed dining areas serve food inspired by local produce. The six room spa is excellent. The perfect country escape. See More