- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
The Best Pubs with Rooms in the Cotswolds
For many people the Cotswolds is England at its most charming. Honey coloured villages with an assortment of thatched cottages and graceful mansions and churches are connected by meandering roads which edge around hills, dales, woods and rivers. Peace, beautiful views and the promise of an impeccable cream tea or pint of real ale at the end of the day is what visitors to the Cotswolds find. And for a lot of us that’s just what we’re looking for. The popularity of the Cotswolds means that there’s a lot of choice when it comes to accommodation, and unfortunately, not all of it is worth the asking price. But our Guru’s recommendations for the best pubs with rooms in the Cotswolds are all just as good as they look in the photos.
The Cotswolds is littered with elegant country house hotels, but we believe that this quintessentially English region is best seen the old fashioned way, staying in great coaching inns or pubs with rooms. In our hand selected properties you’ll find a warm welcome, great food - some of it award-winning, cosy rooms - many with breathtaking views, and the opportunity to get some personalised advice on how to get the most out of this beautiful area.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in The Cotswolds
The Best Pubs with Rooms in The Cotswolds for Walkers
- The Howard Arms is situated overlooking unspoilt Ilmington's village green. Come for the eight individually designed bedrooms, great food and excellent staff. A wonderful spot for walkers with lots of paths for all abilities on the doorstep.
- The New Inn at Coln is a 17th century coaching inn with 13 modern, comfortable rooms and an award-winning restaurant and bar. Perfect for walkers and well positioned in a very pretty village.
- The Old Swan and Minster Mill is a renovated mill and gastro-pub with great riverside gardens and great fishing.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in The Cotswolds for Foodies
- Russell’s of Broadway is a chic little restaurant-with-rooms in the postcard-perfect village of Broadway. It has seven large rooms with high ceilings and exposed stone walls. The superb cuisine is modern European.
- The Feathered Nest is a gastro-pub with four, newly added, rooms. Traditional, practical and countryfied, you’ll also find a lush garden and a 3 AA Rosette awarded restaurant.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in The Cotswolds for Couples
- The Swan Hotel is a beautiful, 17th century coaching inn on the River Coln in the popular village of Bibury. The 22 rooms have cracking fires in the winter, while in summer the gardens are spectacular. The decor features gingham, floral-upholstery and four-poster beds.
- The Village Pub in Barnsley, is a gastro pub with six welcoming rooms, some with four-poster beds. The Village Pub is brought to you by the owners of Barnsley House, which is just across the road, and has beautiful facilities that pub guests are also entitled to use.
The Best Coaching Inns in the Cotswolds
- The King’s Head is a characterful country inn with 11 simple, homely rooms stuffed with wonderful bric-a-brac finds and curiosities. Scenic and great value.
- in a village just outside Burford, The Swan Inn, is an elegant riverside inn with 11 boutique-style bedrooms and a fine, seasonally changing British menu.
- The King’s Arms in Didmarton, near Stroud, is a traditional, 17th century coaching inn which has been stylishly converted. There are just six rooms, decorated with antiques, four-poster beds, George Stubbs paintings and sheepskin rugs. There’s great pub food and real ale, and rooms start from only £85 per night.
- The Ragged Cot is a lovely 17th century inn in a beautiful spot overlooking 600 acres of National Trust land - perfect for long walks. There are just nine rooms. The menu is seasonal and very good.
The Best Value Pubs with Rooms in The Cotswolds
- The Porch House in Stow on the Wold claims to be Britain’s Oldest Inn, and it’s been around since 947, so it’s got a good case. Inside the Heritage Listed building are 13 stylish rooms with exposed stone walls and beams and roll top baths. The rooms rate starts from around £90 per night.
- Tetbury’s Hare and Hounds Hotel was very much a country pub with rooms, but is now calling itself an hotel, so it’s up to you whether you think it qualifies for this list. Its 42 rooms do deserve to be included for their great value - they start from around £100 per night - and the pub is good value too.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best pubs with rooms in the Cotswolds on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in the Cotswolds,
- consider our Guru’s recommendations for the most romantic hotels in the Cotswolds,
- or refine your search to the best pubs with rooms in Gloucestershire,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in The Cotswolds
Russell's of Broadway 7 rooms from £120Broadway
A chic restaurant-with-rooms in a picture-perfect Cotswold village. Large rooms with high ceilings, exposed stone walls and crisp white linen. Modern bathrooms some with free standing baths. Superb Modern European cuisine. Complete countryside perfection.Foodies - The restaurant is the main focus of the hotel and serves modern cuisine with an emphasis on local produce cooked to perfection.Country Escape - A charming escape set in Englands most picturesque village, with seriously stylish interiors and wonderful service.Sights nearby - Visit the pretty Cotswold villages of Chipping Campden, Burford, Bibury, Moreton in Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold and Woodstock.Great walks - The famous 95-mile Cotswold Way from Chipping Camden to Bath runs through the village.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Old Swan and Minster Mill 16 rooms from £155Witney, The Cotswolds
Renovated old mill in 60 acres of woodland and orchards. Traditional charm, period features. Antiques and modern comfort. Dining room with gastro pub. Riverside gardens fishing.Traditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.SpaGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Johansens, Sawdays
The Feathered Nest 4 rooms from £180Burford (Nether Westcote)
Newly converted inn in the modern gastropub with rooms tradition - practical and countrified, with lush garden, simple, cosy bedrooms and gourmet cooking.Restaurant - 3 AA Rosettes. AA Notable wine listViews - views over the Evenlode Valley.TraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays
The Village Pub 6 rooms from £140Barnsley, The Cotswolds
Brought to you by the owner's of Barnsley House, the Cotswold's most sought after hotel, the facilities of which you can enjoy. Gastro pub does not do the restaurant's gourmet menu justice. The rooms are similarly welcoming and stylish, some with four poster beds, tartan throws and lounge areas.Great walks - Barnsley House's immaculate gardens, opposite the hotel, aswell as Westonbirt and Batsford Arboretums are all worth a stroll.Sights nearby - Cirencester Park and The Church of St. John the Baptist are both located in nearby Cirencester.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
The Swan Hotel 22 rooms from £160Bibury, The Cotswolds
With views over the River Coln this 17th century coaching inn is a welcoming Cotswolds abode. Crackling fires in the winter and viridescent gardens in the summer: the menu is similarly seasonal (and locally sourced). Rooms have an instantly cosy feel with fourposters, gingham and floral upholstery.Sights nearby - The famous Blenheim Palace, birth place of Winston Churchill, is arguably the country's best stately home.Great walks - Walk through the village to the postcard worthy Church of St. Mary.Fishing - Catch some trout in the River Coln, just opposite the hotel.Private Hot TubRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
King's Head 11 rooms from £100Burford
A cosy and characterful traditional English Inn. With simple, homely guest rooms and fine pub food - The King's Head offers guests are proper countryside getaway. Lovely scenic walks in the heart of the Cotswolds and outdoor activities available to those looking for something extra.Country Escape - A traditional inn - the inexpensive alternative to a country house hotel.Quirky - Full of junk shop findsGreat walks - Beautiful country walksFull of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Horse and Groom 5 rooms from £120Moreton in Marsh, The Cotswolds
Informal restaurant with rooms cum gastro pub in the now familiar mould; towny style, a buzzing bar and restaurant, and a small number of smart bedrooms. Five individually designed rooms in contemporary classic style, plus award winning food - a perfect laid back base for exploring Cotswold country.Local exploring - An ideal base for exploring the beautiful Cotswolds, with charming Moreton in Marsh just down the road.Sights nearby - Moreton in Marsh, Chipping Camden, Broadway and Stow on the Wold are all close byGreat walks - There is lovely walking for all abilities on the doorstep.TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Swan Inn 11 rooms from £120Burford
Located in a pretty little village, seemingly lost in time - this riverside inn offers elegant boutique bedrooms, a fine seasonal British menu and charming riverside cottages. Chickens freely roaming the garden and Mitford memorabilia add a unique charm to this quaint Cotswold retreat.Country Escape - A traditional English Inn in the heart of the Cotwolds.Traditional - Individually styled bedrooms in a classic yet contemporary style.Great walks - Explore the Cotsolwds - an area of natural beautyLocal markets - Daylesford Organic Farmshop and Spa.
The Ragged Cot 9 rooms from £85STROUD, Gloucestershire
Lovely 17th century inn in a beautiful rural spot overlooking 600 acres of National Trust common land. Comfortable rooms and an excellent seasonal menu complete the stay. Fuel yourself for long walks in the country and wind down with an evening by the fire.Country Escape - Surrounded by bucolic Gloucestershire there are plenty of 'country' activities - and lots of pubs.Romantic Break - The perfect hidey hole for a weekend break in the country.Great walks - The National Trust lands of Minchinhampton and Rodborough Commons are prime walking territory.Local markets - The market town of Minchinhampton hs awash with farm stalls and antique shops.
The King's Arms 6 rooms from £85Didmarton, Gloucestershire
The King's Arms is a traditional 17th century coaching inn in the heart of the Cotswolds. Stylish rooms with feature walls of George Stubbs paintings, antique furniture, four posters & cosy sheepskin rugs. Or cottages for groups or families. Great British pub food, real ale and excellent value too!Value chic - At the King's Arms stylish rooms which can be had for as little as £75 per night B&B.Local exploring - Ideal if you want to explore the wider Cotswolds.Sights nearby - A wide range of places to visit close by including Badminton House, Highgrove House and Westonbirt ArboretumGreat walks - The Cotswolds is great walking country and there are many routes close by the King's Arms
The Porch House 13 rooms from £89Stow on the Wold, The Cotswolds
Britain's Oldest Inn (c.947AD) offers thirteen comfortable and stylish rooms in its English Heritage listed building. Think exposed beams, exposed stone walls, roll top baths and Nespresso coffee machines as standard. The perfect base for exploring the Cotswolds and great value for money.Historic - C.947A.D. England's oldest Inn.Value chicOutstanding location - In the Cotswolds: Area of Outstanding Natural BeautySights nearby - Stow on the Wold, a picturesque market town.
Hare and Hounds Hotel 42 rooms from £100Tetbury, The Cotswolds
The Hare and Hounds is a traditional Cotswold country house hotel. The newly refurbished rooms and suites have an air of elegance and surround a delightful courtyard. The restaurant's creative menu is popular with locals and visitors alike. The best in comfort with its own country pub.Local markets - The historic Cotswold market town of Tetbury is only two miles away.Private Hot Tub - Two suites feature private hot tubsSights nearby - Highgrove House is just a mile awayHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.