- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Helmsley
Helmsley is a handsome old market town with a cobbled square and an impressively fortified Norman castle, surrounded by banks and thick stone walls. The town itself is a collection of lovely old stone houses, pubs and inns, some of which are now the best places to stay in Helmsley.
As well as experiencing market day, which is Friday, and exploring the castle ruins, visitors come to walk the North Yorkshire Moors, visit the romantic ruins of Rievaulx Abbey and see some of the area’s wonderful gardens. You’re also just 40kms north of York.
What Not To Miss
- For a fun family day out, head off to the National Centre for Birds of Prey - home to over 100 owls, eagles, vultures, falcons and more.
- Whilst technically in ruins, what's left to see of the Gothic Rievaulx Abbey is truly stunning. Located in a tranquil setting, you'll find this a very atmospheric spot. Make sure to remember your camera!
- Wander around the 5-acre Helmsley Walled Garden before stopping off for a typically English afternoon tea.
- Foodies should definitely check out both Helmsley Brewery and Helmsley Traditional Sweet Shop.
The best places to stay in Helmsley are popular year-round, so if you want to guarantee a reservation, book well ahead.
For town centre location & great spa
- The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa is right in the heart of town. A lovely old York stone building with modern interiors, including a heated pool and spa and fine dining restaurant. There are 33 rooms, with rates starting from £140 per night.
For a gourmet pub
- The Pheasant is just out of town, on the southern tip of the Yorkshire Moors. Converted from a blacksmith’s workshop, the 12 hotel rooms are arranged around a central courtyard full of fruit trees. There is an indoor pool and an award-winning restaurant.
- The Star Inn is a neighbour of The Pheasant. A relaxed pub/ restaurant with eight rooms and lots of character: think thatch, exposed beams and some wonderfully inspired cooking.
- Centrally located in town, White Swan Inn boasts smart and traditional rooms with cosy communal areas. Tuck into gourmet locally sourced cuisine and, for a small supplement, you can even bring your dog along!
- Black Swan At Hemsley features a range of accommodation, from quirky to country-contemporary, as well as a tearoom and walled garden. You'll love meals served up at their award-winning restaurant!
- Located at the foot of the North York Moors forest, the charming Belmont B&B offers chic, fresh accommodation complete with wrought iron beds and 18th century fireplaces. Splendid breakfasts served.
For An Apartment Or Cottage
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Helmsley is nicest weather-wise in the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 16°C in July and August.
- Visitors can fly into Leeds Bradford Airport located 50 miles southwest of Helmsley and served by a number of international destinations.
- From the airport you can take the train or the bus on to Helmsley.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa 33 rooms from $261Helmsley, Yorkshire
Chic old York stone inn and spa located in a picturesque Yorkshire village. Contemporary interiors meet luxury features to make a relaxing stay. Enjoy a diverse menu at the Weathervane, relax at the heated pool and indulge in spa treatments. A luxurious stay for local exploring.Foodies - Foodies will love the locally sourced and expertly crafted menu, plus a hearty breakfast is included in the price.Romantic Break - A secluded spot to getaway together, with tandem massages, deep soaking tubs, cosy corners and crakling fires.Great walks - The hotel is on the edge of the Moors and close to a National Park, an ideal spot for rambling.Sights nearby - Helmsley Castle, Castle Howard and Helmsley Walled Garden are all worth checking out.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Small Luxury Hotels
Star Inn 8 rooms from $195Harome, Yorkshire
Michelin-starred gastropub-with-rooms in a peaceful farming village, close to the North York Moors. Comfortably rustic rooms in hunting-lodge style, free-ranging hens plus warm, friendly service create a genuinely relaxed atmosphere.Foodies - A north Yorkshire restaurant through and through which holds one Michelin StarGreat walks - Circular walks from the pub or longer hikesSights nearby - Visit the medieval Hemsley CastleFull of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Pheasant 12 rooms from $202Near Helmsley, Yorkshire
Tastefully converted smithy on the southern tip of the North York Moors. Central courtyard with fruit trees surrounded by attractive bedrooms. Indoor pool and award-winning restaurant.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Romantic - Good for couples.TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays