Search the best hotels in Inverness-shire
Home to some of the Highlands' most iconic spots, Inverness-shire is the largest county in Scotland. From the romance of Loch Ness to the wild beauty of Uist and Harris, Inverness-shire is full of amazing places to explore. Made for a road trip, the county encompasses so much of what makes the Scottish Highlands such a magical place to visit: glorious landscapes, picturesque castles and charming hospitality. Our selection of the best places to stay in Inverness-shire are as varied as the county, ranging from heritage houses to delightful B&Bs.
What Not To Miss:
- Drive along the stunning North Coast 500 route and take in the magnificent natural scenery all around. Truly breathtaking!
- If you're interested in military history then be sure to pass by Fort George's Highlanders' Museum, Scotland's biggest regimental museum outside Edinburgh and home to over 20,000 artefacts.
- Visit the Scottish Kiltmaker Visitor Centre and learn all about the skilled process involved in making Scotland's national dress.
- Take a tour of the Tomatin Distillery Visitor Centre and enjoy a dram or two afterwards!
- It would be foolish to visit the region without taking in arguably its most famous feature: Loch Ness.
- If you have the time, try to get out to the Hebridean islands of Harris, North Uist and South Uist. They're home to mesmerising landscapes and fascinating archeaological sites.
Given that it's one of the biggest counties in the UK, our selection of the best places to stay in Inverness-shire are very well spread out. Therefore it's possible to plan your trip to stay in a couple of them across the region.
The best places to stay in Inverness-shire
- Set in a smart townhouse, Rocpool Reserve provides chic contemporary accommodation overlooking the river. You'll love meals served up at their award-winning restaurant!
- Glenmoriston Town House Hotel is a stylish base for exploring the city. With smart rooms from just £55 per night and a great restaurant, it's a top option.
For A Country Escape
- The Dower House is a charming 4-room hideaway located in the midst of Inverness-shire's countryside. Come back after a day out hiking to enjoy splendid meals.
- For something more upmarket, consider staying at Loch Ness Lodge. Offering classically elegant rooms featuring plenty of antiques, it also boasts an enviable location overlooking the Loch.
- Hidden away on a remote peninsula on the "road to the Isles", Arisaig House is a delightful property. Awash with charm and character, the house features lovely rooms, beautiful grounds and excellent food. But its biggest pull is its stunning positioning and welcoming home-from-home atmosphere.
- Boath House, set in an impressive Georgian property, is a charming country retreat: complete with four-posters, opulent bathrooms, a spa and glorious grounds. A dreamy spot!
- Four-room Smiddy House, located just 11 miles from Fort William, is a comfortable stay with traditionally Scottish accommodation.
- The Lime Tree is a stylish stay with an in-house art gallery and an award-winning restaurant serving up local fare.
- The Grange is a smart three-room Victorian townhouse boasting sublime views of Loch Linnhe and inviting accommodation.
For a Magnificent Castle
- Sublimely located at the foot of Ben Nevis, Inverlochy Castle is an unforgettable place. Picturesquely perched overlooking a loch, the hotel features elegant rooms with period furnishings and an atmospheric bar. However, the hotel's real highlight is its superb Michelin starred restaurant.
For the Cairngorms National Park
- Culdearn House, located on the edge of the National Park, boasts six stylish rooms and an award-winning restaurant. What more could you ask for?
- Muckrach Country House Hotel offers spacious, classy accommodation filled with antiques and soft patterns. Enjoy local cuisine and spend evenings at the whisky bar after a day out exploring the countryside.
- The Cross at Kingussie is a cosy old tweed mill serving up lovely grub in a comfortable environment.
For An Apartment Or Holiday Home
- If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- For the best weather visit Inverness-shire in the summer, with the average daily temperature reaching 14°C in July. That said, it's always susceptible to the occasional rain shower so be sure to remember your jacket!
- Visitors can fly into Inverness Airport, well served by public transport links to the city itself and the surrounding area.
- Given the remote location of many of the best places to stay in Inverness-shire, you might need to hire a car to reach your final destination. For prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Inverness-shire.
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in Aberdeen.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Inverness-shire
Best Hotels in Inverness-shire
The Lime Tree Fort William 9 rooms from £70Kayaking - The coast offers a number of paddling areas to get up close to natureSailing - Can be booked nearby.BoutiqueFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
This stylish hotel is situated in the heart of the North West Highlands. Being the 'outdoor capital of the UK' there are a plethora of activities on offer. The in-house gallery has contemporary art on show and the award winning restaurant serves seasonal, locally sourced food. A great country escape See More
Smiddy House Spean Bridge 4 rooms from £75Great walks - Fort William is at the base of Britain’s highest peak, Ben Nevis and is also the gateway to walks in the picturesque Glen NevisFishing - The surrounding areas offer excellent wild brown trout, northern pike lochs and wild Atlantic salmon rivers
Set in the quiet village of Spean Bridge just 11 miles from Fort William and close to Loch Lochy. The four rooms are comfortable and tastefully decorated in a Scottish highland style. The restaurant serves up locally produced fare and the garden room offers the perfect spot for a quiet drink. See More
Culdearn House Morayshire, Inverness-shire 6 rooms from £90Country Escape - A charming country house in the beautiful Highlands of Scotland.Birdwatching - Spot birds from the RSPB Loch Garten osprey observation hide at the Rothiemurchus Estate.Sights nearby - Explore historic castles in the surrounding region.Restrictions on children - Children over 10 are welcomedRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
A smart country house situated in a picturesque spot in the Highlands. Six individually styled rooms are bright and airy with sash windows, high ceilings and antique furniture. An award winning restaurant serves regional dishes. A cosy spot to explore this scenic corner of Britain. See More
The Cross at Kingussie Kingussie, Inverness-shire 8 rooms from £110Great walks - An abundance of local walking routes, from low level strolls to strenuous mountain hikes are in striking distance of the hotelBack to Nature - The surrounding area offers mountains, forests, clear rivers and lochs, moorlands and a haven for a huge amount of wildlifeFishing - Right on the hotel's doorstep is the River Spey known as one of the finest salmon riversHideaway - A cosy hotel and restaurant hidden away in the midst of Scotland's wildernessRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A cosy haven nestled in the depths of the Scottish wilderness. The old tweed mill has been lovingly renovated to offer comfortable rooms overlooking the beautiful countryside. A characterful restaurant prides itself on its affordable fine dining. The perfect country escape. See More
Glenmoriston Town House Hotel Inverness 32 rooms from £120Local exploring - Ideal launchpad for exploring Inverness.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Inverness Castle. Only 5 miles to Culloden.
Arisaig House nr Mallaig, Inverness-shire 10 rooms from £120Exclusive offer - Up to 15% off for group bookingsGreat walks - Walks to suit all from gentle strolls to strenuous hill climbsViews - Great views over to the Small Isles.House party feel - Great for parties!Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
The Grange Fort William 3 rooms from £130Views - Stunning views over Loch Linnhe to the Ardgour HillsGreat walks - Plenty of Munros around or even attempt Ben NevisSights nearby - Just outside Fort William in the heart of GlencoeRestrictions on children - Adults only establishmentRecommended by - Sawdays
Victorian townhouse turned luxury guesthouse on the western edge of Fort William. Stunning views over Loch Linnhe to the Ardgour Mountains and more activities in the area than you can possibly imagine. Traditional yet stylish bedrooms with sumptuous bathrooms and views to die for. See More
Loch Ness Lodge Inverness (Loch Ness-side) 7 rooms from £175Active Holiday - Active guests can try their hand at deer stalking, archery, quad biking, shooting, 4x4 off-road driving and husky sledding.Country Escape - A spectacular part of rural Scotland with dramatic views over across the water to a string of craggy mountains beyond.Kayaking - Book a two hour kayak trip to explore the lake from the hotel's private stretch of Loch Ness shoreline.Fishing - Anglers can book a fishing trip through the lodge, to catch trout and salmon further along the shores.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide
Muckrach Country House Hotel Inverness-shire 13 rooms from £209Country Escape - A country house set in the UKs largest national park, Cairngorm National Park.Great walks - There are numerous walking options; from the famous Speyside Way to gentle strolls around lochs.Fishing - The River Spey offers great salmon fishing from April until 30th September.Outstanding location
A large country house set in the stunning Cairngorms National Park. Spacious rooms are traditionally styled with soft patterns, sink-into beds and antique furniture. The restaurant is a fantastic celebration of local produce and there's a whisky bar to settle into after a day in the Highlands. See More
Boath House Nairn 22 rooms from £260Sailing - Keen sailors might wish to visit Ness and Moray Yacht ChartersSights nearby - The Inverness Harbour is well worth a visitRestrictions on children - This hotel does not accommodate childrenFull of characterRecommended by - Fodors
This Georgian house once found itself on the "endangered' list. Now restored to its former glory by current owners, rooms decorated with original artworks, antiques and four poster beds. There is a Spa, manicured gardens and a very popular restaurant. Activities are arranged on guest preferences. See More
Inverlochy Castle Fort William 17 rooms from £335Families - Plenty of kit for the kids indoors including games rooms, DVDs, playstation plus endless outdoor activities.Foodies - This fantastic restaurant has been awarded 3 AA Rosettes- utterly delicious!Fishing - Fishing in Loch Na Marag in the Castle grounds or salmon and trout fishing further afield.Great walks - Stunning scenery to be explored starting straight from the property.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Elegance, romance and old-school service in sublime surroundings at the foot of Ben Nevis. Imposing rooms with heavy curtains, chintz wallpaper, antique paintings and four poster beds. The bathrooms are the height of modernity. A multi award winning restaurant. The perfect country getaway. See More