Search the best hotels in Hoa Binh
About Hoa Binh
Hoa Binh, meaning ‘peace’, lies in the foothills of north-western Vietnam’s verdant mountains. Just two hours from Hanoi, it’s a marvellous destination for those dreaming of rural tranquility and outdoorsy adventures. Rich in culture and history, the region also offers a brilliant chance to delve into the traditions of northern Vietnam’s ethnic minorities and hill tribes. Whether you’re travelling as a couple or with family and friends, our pick of the best places to stay in Hoa Binh promise a gorgeous escape to remember.
Be it a weekend break from Hanoi or a longer retreat from the bustle of everyday life, Hoa Binh remains a laid-back base, brimming with natural beauty. It’s also warmer and far more easily accessible than Sapa, Vietnam's most famous mountain escape. Spend your days hiking or cycling between terraced rice paddies and tree-clad hills, or spotting wildlife in the Pu Luong Nature Reserve, Ba Vi National Park and Cuc Phuong National Park in the Red River Delta. Lakes studded with water lilies, such as that of Ba Khan or Mo Luong, are lovely for kayaking and fishing — as is the impressive Hoa Binh Reservoir, the largest in Vietnam.
Admire traditional handicrafts and take artisan-led workshops in the villages of the Thai and Muong tribes, or visit the Muong Culture Museum, founded by Hanoi artist Vu Duc Hieu and housed in a fantastic five-hectare complex. The weekly Mau Chau and Pa Co Markets are not to be missed. Return to your choice of the best places to stay in Hoa Binh for rejuvenating wellness treatments and mouth-watering Vietnamese cuisine.
The Best Places to Stay in Hoa Binh
For Simple Charm
- Mai Chau Lodge, near the banks of Mo Luong Lake, prides itself on having been built entirely from natural materials. A relaxed and affordable eco-lodge with 16 rustic rooms, it's a charming base for outdoorsy explorers eager to cycle and hike in the surrounding hills. Lovely.
For a Chic Eco Retreat
- Avana Retreat is a gorgeous eco hotel with spacious suites and multi-bedroom villas overlooking private pools and iridescent rice fields. Built using traditional techniques and featuring handwoven textiles, this is a wonderfully luxurious escape with sustainability at its heart. Very romantic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or villa we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Hanoi's Noi Bai International Airport, and travel across to Hoa Binh by road in just over two hours. Speak to your hotel in advance about arranging an airport transfer.
- If you're comfortable driving in Asia, contact our partner Rentalcars to hire a car.
- Expect daytime temperatures of 25–32°C during the dry season, which runs from October to March. April to September are the rainiest months, popular with nature enthusiasts but potentially difficult for hiking as paths tend to be slippery when wet.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to discover the best places to stay in Hanoi.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Vietnam.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hoa Binh
Best Hotels in Hoa Binh
Mai Chau Lodge Hòa Bình,, Hoa Binh 16 rooms from £66Local exploring - Brilliant for outdoorsy adventurers as well as culture buffs eager to explore the best of northern VietnamValue chic - Simple, traditional accommodation for guests of all ages at a very reasonable priceKayaking - Take a guided kayaking excursion on the Hoa Binh Reservoir, the largest in VietnamBirdwatching - Spot birds flitting between green vegetation at the Pu Luong Natural ReserveRecommended by - I Escape
A picturesque lodge set amongst rice paddies and misty mountains. The rustic huts overlooking a lush lily pond provide tranquil accommodation. Breakfast is a spread of tropical fruits and pastries plus there is a traditional spa and outdoor pool in which to relax. Simple yet charming. See More
Avana Retreat Mai Chau Hoa Binh 36 rooms from £288Honeymoons - Romantic villas with private pools are gorgeous for honeymoons, complete with magical views, spa treatments & gourmet cuisineFamilies - Two-bedroom bungalows are perfect for families, whilst the coloruful kids club hosts art classes and fabulous treasure huntsOutstanding location - Overlooking the beautiful mountains and bright terraced rice fields of Mai ChauRestaurant - Savour gourmet fare at Green Chilli Restaurant, or private dinners at the lagoon or the Hmong CottageRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A gorgeous eco-retreat with magical views of iridescent rice fields on hillside terraces. Unwind in a sumptuous private suite or two-bedroom villa showcasing handwoven crafts & built using traditional rammed-earth techniques. One for lovers of luxury seeking tranquility & striking natural beauty. See More