The 20 Best Wine Hotels in The Loire Valley
France’s Loire valley, which stretches from central France to Nantes near the Atlantic coast, conjures up images of magnificent chateaux, rolling vineyards, verdant countryside and the wide River Loire itself. All of which have earned the valley a UNESCO listing as a World Heritage site. One of France’s most diverse wine regions, it’s home to the dry white Muscadet (perfect with shellfish), the rose d’Anjou, crisp Sancerre and fine Touraine reds while Saumur and Vouvray both produce sparkling wines to rival Champagne. One of the easiest ways to experience the region is to stay in one of the best wine hotels in the Loire Valley – chateaux and manor houses – many with their own vineyards. We've also rooted out some fabulous foodie destination properties and charming B&Bs and guesthouses. It’s not all about wine, however; attractive historic cities in the region include Angers, Saumur and Tours, all straddling or overlooking the Loire River.
For a vineyard setting
- In a secluded setting in the heart of Anjou, amidst its own vineyards and with just nine rooms spread between two buildings, the Domaine de la Soucherie is a great-value guest house. Rooms have a stylish French-country feel mixing pale colours and vintage furnishings. There’s a pool, terrace and evening meals (on request).
For a riverside setting
- The riverside La Penesais, not far from Chinon, is a buttery-grey stone mansion set amidst beautiful gardens. Interiors mix pale-washed beams, stripped-wood floors and exposed-stone walls with bold colours and rustic-chic furniture. Hearty home-made meals are also available on request.
- Also on the river banks, Bagatelle, on the Loire near Vouvray, is tucked away in beautiful gardens. The handsome 18th-century house offers just four spacious rooms, kitted out in chic country-house style. There’s also a pool plus terrace for al fresco breakfasts.
- Chateau de Beaulieu is a small chateau – just five rooms – which overlooks the Loire at Saumur. Rooms are light and traditionally furnished, with chandeliers and four-poster beds in some. A lovely relaxed atmosphere, friendly hosts plus outdoor heated pool.
- Château de Beaulieu, near Tours, has elegant, country-house style rooms that overlook beautiful gardens. The well-regarded dining-room gives options for dining on the terrace, plus there’s a small spa.
- Perched on a cliff overlooking the Loire, Les Hautes Roches has stunning views. Rooms – some carved out of the rock – are boldly decorated with contemporary furnishings and bright colours. The Michelin starred restaurant enjoys gorgeous river views while there’s also a pretty terrace for al fresco meals, and a pool.
- The delightful Chateau de Noizay has very pretty, country-house style bedrooms with beautiful patterned fabrics and wallpapers, and some have private patios. Public rooms are rich with exposed-stone walls, polished-wood floors and chandeliers while the delightful gardens include a pool. The restaurant serves fabulous gastronomic cuisine from Chef Frederic Collin.
- Foodies will enjoy a stay at Chateau de Marcay, a luxurious hotel with gourmet restaurant, set in acres of parkland and surrounded by vineyards. Bedrooms are vast with an attractive traditional style, and there’s a glorious pool with far-reaching views over the countryside.
For the Sancerre region
- Another charming and peaceful chateau – this time in the Sancerre region – is Chateau de Beaujeu. With its splendid turrets and sweeping parkland, it looks very much the part. Rooms, with polished-wood floors, pale-panelled walls and bright wallpapers, are elegant and spacious. Evening meals are by arrangement.
- Boutique B&B, Le Prieure de St Agnan, is in Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire which, as the name indicates, is on the banks of the Loire. The charming house has plenty of original features – shutters, marble fireplaces – while the five rooms are boldly decorated in rich colours and with hardwood floors and polished antiques.
For a luxury chateau stay
- The grand-looking Chateau de Beauvois, sitting in sprawling parkland, does not disappoint. Interiors are lavish with gilded furniture, bold colours, marble floors and chandeliers, while bedrooms have rich wallpapers and fabrics. There are several terraces plus a large outdoor pool.
- Equally grand is Chateau de Rochecotte with marble floors, panelled walls and gilded mirrors. There are vast salons and terraces for relaxing, plus outdoor pool, while bedrooms are lavish with antiques, silk and satin fabrics, and soft pale colours.
- Also overlooking the Loire, Le Choiseul, near Amboise, is a romantic château with richly wallpapered bedrooms filled with antiques and fresh flowers. The pretty gardens have a small pool while there’s a superb wine cellar to support the smart dining-room.
- Also with a pool - accessed by an underground passage - Chateau de Perreux offers understatedly elegant and contemporary rooms, some with balconies. Set in manicured grounds, with a large terrace, ensures there’s plenty of space for relaxing.
For a B&B
- Another 16th-century building – the farmhouse of Manoir du Bois Noblet – offers bags of character for an excellent price. With beams, tiled floors, vast fireplaces and exposed-stone walls, plus a traditional kitchen hung with copper pans, it feels truly French and rustic. Bedrooms are traditionally furnished with antiques and four-poster beds.
- The 16th-century Chateau de Nazelles also has a separate ‘Pavilion’ for self-catering. Together with the other B&B rooms, the style is cool and simple with tiled or wood floors, exposed-brick walls, pale colours and modern bathrooms. One room even has a real fire while there’s a pool in the six-hectare garden.
- For a luxury B&B stay, take a look at Domaine des Bidaudieres, a grand mansion on a country estate near Tours. Rooms are French rustic-chic, plus there are two cottages ideal for families or groups of friends. Terraces, gardens and pool should keep everyone happy.
Still not sure which to book?
- If you still can’t see what you want, take a look at our full range of Loire hotels.
- Expand your search to include our ultimate guide to the best wine hotels in France,
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Domaine de la Soucherie Beaulieu, Loire Valley 9 rooms from £82Back to Nature - In the beautiful surroundings of the Loire Valley, this makes for a fantastic back to nature holidayRomantic Break - Elegant and luxurious rooms, a wine cellar and pool make this the perfect romantic getawayCountry Escape - With a secluded setting, you can enjoy a real country escape here in the Layon ValleyFoodies - Enjoy a dinner of regional cuisine matched with local wines, a foodie's delight
Split across two charming sites, this rural guesthouse offers modern classic decor in the heart of the Loire valley. The plush rooms offer views of the vineyeard, and there is an airy guest lounge, vaulted wine cellar and inviting pool. Enjoy local wines at the bar; a perfect spot for wine lovers. See More
La Penesais Loire Valley 5 rooms from £91Hideaway - This gorgeous, friendly chateau with charming gardens is ideal for a cosy retreatSights nearby - Close to great sights such as Chateau de Villandry, Candes Saint Martin abbey and Fontevraud AbbeyBack to NatureSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Sawdays
Expect a very friendly welcome and hearty home-made meals at this charming limestone chateau with pretty gardens. Interiors are elegant yet homely, fusing classic and modern styles with tasteful furniture and decor. Unfussy rooms feature pretty fabrics and fine wood furniture. A rural delight. See More
Bagatelle Tours (37210 Vouvray) 4 rooms from £139Country Escape - An idyllic Loire Valley estate ideal for a refreshing country retreatSights nearby - Head to some famous chateaux such as Amboise, Chinon, Chenonceau, within easy driving distanceGreat walks - Go on one of the many beautiful walks and marked trails around the houseSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
A lovely 18th-century stately home, with a pool, surrounded by romantic courtyards and pretty gardens. Elegant interiors feature original plasterwork and grand fireplaces, and the spacious rooms are kitted out with antiques and classic style furniture. A rural delight, and great breakfasts too! See More
Château de Beaulieu, Tours Tours 17 rooms from £84Sights nearby - 10 mins from Tours city centre and easy access to all the Loire chateauxLocal markets - Good for local colour.TraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Château de Beaulieu, Saumur Saumur 5 rooms from £104Romantic Break - Four poster beds, roaring fireplace, heated outdoor pool and wine tasting just next door all add up to classic French romance.Sights nearby - Château de Saumur (2.5 km) and the famous ‘Cadre Noir’ Riding SchoolGreat walks - Through the local vineyards and along the banks of the River LoireSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor swimming poolRecommended by - Sawdays
Château de Beaujeu Sancerre 4 rooms from £104Country Escape - A short drive from Loire River, and surrounded by quiet countryside, enjoy wine tasting and the atmosphere of historic ChateauKayaking - On the Loire RiverSights nearby - Town of BourgesRomantic - Good for couples.
Peaceful château B&B. Large unique rooms feature draped curtains, pretty wallpapers and parquet floors. Independent cottage is contemporary in style. Rambling gardens and charming dining room for breakfast. A perfect base for wine tasting, delicious Sancerre and Pouilly-Sur-Loire amongst others. See More
Chateau de Beauvois 37230 Saint-Etienne-de-Chigny-Touraine, Loire Valley 35 rooms from £174Romantic Break - This opulent chateau surrounded by romantic gardens and forest walks is ideal for a couple's retreatGreat walks - Discover the gorgeous forest trails and spot some wildlifeSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Sawdays
A hotel in a grand chateau with rolling gardens and a lovely pool. Expect to be wowed by the lavish interiors decorated with gold leaf, ornate paintings and antique furniture, with equally opulent rooms featuring sumptuous fabrics and elegant wallpapers. The delicious French cuisine seals the deal! See More
Chateau de Rochecotte Tours, Loire Valley 37 rooms from £266Romantic Break - Cream and gold themed rooms, stunning garden terrace, wine tasting on the doorstep and gourmet diningSights nearby - House of Devinière Rabelais and Balzac's house at SacheKayaking - Canoeing at Chinon on the LoireRomantic - Good for couples.
Les Hautes Roches Tours 14 rooms from £195Foodies - The restaurant has a Michelin star and specialises in seafood.Sights nearby - Exlore the many historic chateaux of the LoireQuirky - Some rooms have been hewn from the cavesRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Perched on a cliff and overlooking the Loire, this hotel is entirely unique. Carved into the rock, bedrooms are exciting and elegantly decorated with complementing fabrics and fittings. There is a fine restaurant with views of the river. Fresh seafood and local produce. A treasure on the Loire. See More
Le Choiseul Amboise, Loire Valley 32 rooms from £151Country House - The chateau accommodation is spread across 5 housesArchitectural - A beautiful 18th century building.Wine tasting - Loire valley vinyards in vicinityRiverside - Loire riversideRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A stunning chateau in the Loire valley. Rooms are light and traditionally styled with toile de jouy wallpaper. Restaurant dining room overlooking the River Loire. Wine tasting, ballooning and chateaux on the doorstep. A romantic and relaxed choice for couples or families. See More
Château de Noizay Noizay, Loire Valley 19 rooms from £183Foodies - Foodies will be bowled over by the hotel's gourmet restaurant, serving classic French cuisine with modern touchesCountry Escape - Set within a 24 hectare park, this hotel is a serene retreat to the countryRomantic Break - The beautiful gardens and luxurious facilities score highly with couplesRemote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
This stately, four-star château is nestled in the heart of the Loire Valley. Rooms are dressed in a Renaissance style, with plush linens and period furniture. Relax by the heated outdoor pool or dine in the restaurant before a helicopter ride from the hotel's own helipad. A luxury country retreat. See More
Chateau de Perreux Amboise (Loire Valley) 11 rooms from £143Local exploring - Situated in Nazelles-Négron, at the heart of the Loire Valley, this is the perfect base for exploring this UNESCO heritage area.Total relaxation - Plush rooms, great pool surrounded by lovely gardens and forests, plus awrd winning cuisine and roaring fires.Kayaking - Grab a kayak and head off to explore the Loire, admire the lovely villages, chateaus and countryside.Great walks - There are lovely walks through the property's manicured gardens and wooded parklands.
An elegant Chateau dating back to the 1700s offering a quiet escape in peaceful surroundings. Tasteful bedrooms that combine contemporary comfort with the unique Chateau style. The in house chef focuses on locally sourced, seasonal produce. An outdoor pool is reached by a secret underground passage. See More
Chateau de Marcay Chinon 33 rooms from £169Garden - Set in hectares of parkland and vineyards.FoodiesTraditional - All rooms are decorated in "haute epoque" styleKayaking - On the Vienne River
Manoir du Bois Noblet Louerre, Loire Valley 3 rooms from £87Wine tasting - Explore the local wine regionOther Activities - Children's playgroundTrekking - Hiking routes nearbyCycling - Bicycles for hire
A lovely 16th Century stone mansion surrounded by scenic vineyards and private garden. Bedrooms have stone walls, exposed wooden beams and four poster beds. Antique furniture give the chateau an authentic feel. Breakfast is served daily in the dining room and evening meals are available on request. See More
Chateau de Nazelles Amboise (Nazelles-Négron) 5 rooms from £139Local exploring - Perfectly situated to see the Loire's chateaus, wine caves and boat trips on the river, all with this very chic baseSights nearby - Day trip to nearby AmboiseKayaking - Kayaks rides on the LoireCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Sawdays
Domaine des Bidaudières Vouvray, Loire Valley 5 rooms from £117FamiliesGroupsSwimming Pool - Large outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
Le Prieuré Saint-Agnan Sancerre 5 rooms from £124Local exploring - A charming base ideally located to explore the region.Great walks - Stroll along the Loire, the last wild river in Europe.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
A boutique B&B located just steps from the Loire. Charming traditional rooms feature antique furniture, rich hues, dark wooden polished floors and crisp white linen. Boasting a large outdoor pool, cosy lounge and sumptuous breakfasts. A luxury pad from which to explore the region. See More