- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best family hotels on Crete
Crete is a great choice for family holidays: one of Europe's longest sunny seasons, pink-sand beaches and only a four-hour flight from London. The island also boasts three waterparks; reward for children if you've dragged them round some of the island's splendid Minoan and Roman sites, or Venetian forts and Byzantine churches. Our selection of the best family hotels on Crete offers you a wide choice from self catering villas to five star luxury resorts to quiet little guesthouses.......take your pick!
Many of the larger resort hotels are geared to entertaining children, with children's clubs, children's pools and family suites or villas. Admittedly, these hotels can prove to be relatively pricey, but they give parents the comfort that their children are not going to be bored, and that they will have plenty of other potential playmates. Parents, too, get their 'treats'; often there is a spa, choice of pools, and several eating options, so there is a chance to try different cuisines.
At the more budget end, Crete offers a range of family-friendly, traditional guest houses. And if you really want flexibility, a villa or self-catering apartment is another good choice. As the best family beaches are on the north coast, this is the area to concentrate your search for the best hotels for families on Crete.
Best family hotels on Crete
Best good-value family hotels
- Overlooking a central, car-free square in Chania's old town, Vilelmine Hotel is hard to beat both for price and location. Traditional-style rooms, including three- and four-bedroom suites, have private balconies, and breakfast can be taken outside in the square.
- Quiet yet close to the beach, Villa Kynthia, in the low-key village of Panormos, offers both a family suite and a self-catering apartment. Rooms are cool and light with parquet floors and brass bedsteads.
- Villa Ippocampi is a gorgeous family friendly option in the hills above Limenas. Flexible all suite accommodation featuring a kitchenette for those who want to self cater, plus great pool and lovely views.
- Eleonas Traditional Houses offer the perfect spot for families who really want to get away from it all. Accommodation is in charming stone cottages and there's loads of onsite activities plus children's playground and pool.
Best self-catering options for families
- Vamos Traditional Village offers both good value and self-catering flexibility. This collection of rustically furnished, traditional cottages, in the heart of a sleepy village, is owned by the locals. Guests find lots of personal touches - fresh flowers, little snacks - while some cottages have private pools.
- Pandora Suites in Chania offer a livelier location, as well as a more boutique-hotel feel, roof terrace and harbour views.
- Paradise Island Villas is a collection of twelve super stylish properties each with its own private pool. Plus there's a tennis court on site and you're close to the beach.
Best family hotels with children's clubs
- With a children's club, playground and entertainment staff, parents can also relax on holiday at Minoa Palace Resort and Spa, Chania, one of the island's best-priced modern, resort hotels.
- There are heaps of activities for both parents and children - including kids' club, mini-golf, tennis, scuba diving and sailing - at Elounda Bay Palace, a luxury resort with a choice of rooms, bungalows and villas dotted around 20 acre of gardens. There are several pools as well as two beaches.
- Children are entertained with everything from tennis lessons to drawing classes at the smart Domes of Elounda. There's a crèche - which means toddlers are safe and well looked-after - as well as a private beach, plus a spa, wine-tasting and snorkelling for the grown-ups.
- And if you'd like your own private pool for the family, check out Daios Cove Luxury Resort. Rooms and suites are chic, plus there's a kids' club, watersports, luxury spa, yoga sessions, private beach and three restaurants.
- Caramel Boutique Hotel is a smaller option with a beachfront location just outside Rethymno. They've a wide range of family friendly accommodation and there's activities on offer for all ages from tots to teens. Plus a luxury spa for the grown-ups!
- White Palace is Crete's original grand dame, and she's been given a makeover. Gorgeous chic interiors, endless dining options and more activities and facilities than you can imagine....plus that all iimportant kids' club!
- Elounda Peninsula offers luxurious family suites and villas with pools, plus there's baby sitting services and a kids' club. For adults you'll find gourmet dining and luxury spa.....Heaven!
Crete can be a children’s paradise island, and to make sure it is for the parents, too, use our guide to the best family hotels on Crete. Still not found the right one? Then check out all our Crete recommendations.
Vilelmine Hotel 10 rooms from $82Chania (Crete)
Gracious 19th century townhouse overlooking a palm-lined square and Chania's grand Panagia Trimartiri cathedral. Providing whimsical interiors - four-poster beds and juliette balconies - for visiting couples as well as practical family suites. Excellent value and a great location.Local exploring - Walking distance from Chania's harbour, shops and cafes, and the beachValue chic - Utterly charming accommodation at an inviting priceViews - On the north side overlook the metropolitan town square and the south side overlook the colourful Betolo st.Local markets - Chania's myriad of market stalls, shops and cafes are on your doorstep
Villa Kynthia 5 rooms from $128Panormos, Crete
Families with children of all ages love this stylish, family-run hotel that hides itself on a quiet street just moments away from the beach in a low-key village resort. Cool rooms with canopied beds appeal to romantic couples too.Full of character - Quaint charm with a style all of it's own.Sights nearby - Arkadi Monastery - dating to 5th CenturyLocal markets - Margarites - Pottery making villageBirdwatching - The White MountainsRecommended by - I Escape
Villa Ippocampi 13 rooms from $114700 14, Crete
Family run and family friendly. Thirteen stylish suites nestled in a hilltop location within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. A poolside cafe serves breakfast and light snacks. Rooms offer a balcony with either garden or sea views. Small and cozy and created with love!Eco break - The hotel relies on solar power for hot water, an eco friendly pool cleaning system and sewage managementLocal exploring - Centrally located, perfect to explore lesser known beaches nearby, and visit restaurants and local shopsFamilies - Lovely for families, all rooms have kitchenettes and sofa beds for extra sleeping spaceDiving - Dive and explore the crystal clear waters of this islandRecommended by - I Escape
Eleonas Traditional Houses 20 rooms from $128Crete
Stone cottages with classic furniture set amidst beautiful scenery. An on site restaurant and cafe serves local products. Cooking classes, archery lessons and wine tours available. Their sun terraces offer wonderful views, perfect to enjoy a sundowner drink.Active Holiday - Hiking trails passing through historical sites, archery, climbing or bikingFamilies - Special playground for children and a separate poolSights nearby - Several archaelogical sites and old monastries in the regionKids Club - Kid's outdoor play, indoor play area, books, DVDs & games.Recommended by - I Escape
Vamos Traditional Village 51 rooms from $89Chania
A shining example of how to do low-impact tourism. Vamos is a collection of locally owned self-catering accommodation in and around a sleepy village. Interiors are comfortable and rustic and many feature private pools. Stunning views of the White Mountains are thrown in too. Ideal for families.Families - Private villa accommodation, perfect for familiesValue chic - Charming villas available at an inviting priceCooking classes - Traditional cooking courses housed in an old olive mill are a popular activityGreat walks - Guided walks are on offer to learn more of the local history, folklore etc.
Pandora Suites 14 rooms from $103Chania (Crete)
This townhouse turned boutique self-catering option has fabulous harbour views from the pretty roof terrace. The rooms are light and breezy, and generous with two or four beds. Enjoy the luxury of a mini kitchen for self-catering. Great spot for local exploring, beach and nightlife. Family friendly!Local exploring - Situated right in the old town, within easy walking distance of the port and the main shopping and eating spots.Groups - These spacious and charming self catering apartments, of 2-4 beds, are ideal for groups travelling together.Great walks - Wander the streets of Chania’s Old Town, full of hidden treasures and charming spots.Sights nearby - Check out the historic Venetian Harbour and its famed lighthouse.
Paradise Island Villas 12 rooms from $283Anissaras
A super chic collection of villas in sophisticated Cretan style. Each villa has its own pool and living areas. Romantic rooms have parquet floors, four poster beds, and attractive furnishings. Excellent restaurant, lots of spa treatments. Romantic, grown-up, close to the beach, and family friendly.Local exploring - 1km from the Traditional Cretan Villages of Koutouloufari, Old Hersonissos and Piskopiano.5* Luxury - All villas are individually designed with private pool & every comfortPrivate villas - 12 separate villas to rent.Groups - Villas from 2 to 6 guestsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, CN Traveller
Minoa Palace Resort and Spa 254 rooms from $171Chania (Crete)
A modern North Western Crete resort and spa, surrounded by acres of lush landscaped gardens. The modern rooms boast private balconies overlooking the bay, gardens or pool. There are many dining options from Greek to Italian and the four bars serve up wonderful cocktails.Families - Parents chill by the pool while the youngsters make the most of the kids club, childrens playground and entertainment staff.Total relaxation - Relax to the max with hot tub, hammam, sauna, aromatherapy treatments and hot stone massages.Swimming Pool - Luxury Indoor and outdoor poolsLively - Hip and happening.
Elounda Bay Palace 152 rooms from $238Elounda
Impressive luxury resort, totally insulated from the outside world in semi-tropical gardens. Large rooms offer mountain views or sea views from the large glass windows. Suites have private pools. An epic choice of restaurants and bars. Lovely beaches, ideal for a romantic break or family holiday.Families - The young ones are kept happy with loads of activities at the kids club and playground, while parents get time to relax.Active Holiday - Never a dull moment with mini golf, billiards, darts, tennis, scuba diving, sailing, waterskiing, fishing and more!Sailing - Either charter your own boat or take a skipper, and set sail directly from the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pool.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Domes of Elounda 83 rooms from $290Elounda
A stunning hotel and spa resort on Mirabello Bay with its own private beach and dreamy views. Seamless rooms and suites with creamy furnishings, all the modern gadgetry, balconies, some with private pools. Three excellent restaurants, salt water pools and extensive spa. Luxurious.Child friendly - Numerous activities for children from tennis lessons and watersports to drawing classes.Families - Plenty of activities and kid's club to keep all ages amused.Beach nearby - Private sandy beach ideal for little childrenLuxury - You'll want for nothingRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Elounda Peninsula 50 rooms from $367Elounda
Experience luxury in abundance at this peninsular hotel with contemporary, stylish decor and sea views. All rooms come with an outdoor pool and private hot tubs. An award winning restaurant, a superb wine list and a well-known spa on site. Total bliss.Families - Family suites and private villas with pools - plus babysitting services and a kids' clubFoodies - The Calypso - an award winning restaurant on site serves French gourmet cuisineSpa breaks - An award winning spa specializes in unique treatments and medicinal treatmentsDiving - Crystal clear waters and fascinating flora and fauna to discoverRecommended by - Tablet
Caramel Boutique Resort 69 rooms from $365Rethymno
Luxury resort with lots to offer families with children of all ages, but not overrun by kids. On a long stretch of sandy best close to Rethymnon – Crete's cutest town - Caramel is around an hour from Heraklion and Chania airports.Swimming Pool - Outdoor "confetti" pool - Large seawater pool with Jacuzzi, lily-pad designer sun loungers, day beds.Sights nearby - Just minutes from Rethymno's ancient Venetian HarbourKids Club - The hotel has plenty to keep all ages occupied.Spa - Elixir Spa and ayurvedic treaments
White Palace 237 rooms from $322Rethymno
White on white interiors with accents of sea blue. Utterly chic. The former grande dame of the 'Cretan Riviera' has been given a full make-over, a new title, and a bigger, grander choice of accommodation, dining and entertainment options that seem to please couples and families from all over Europe.Families - There is a popular kid's club allowing grown ups some fun of their ownRomantic Break - Utterly chic interiors with sea views - great for a romantic getawayDiving - The nearby diving school offers private lessonsGreat walks - Wander down to the Venetian Harbour
Daios Cove Luxury Resort 300 rooms from $448Agios Nikolaos
Luxury beach resort just minutes from Agios Nikolaos. Sumptuous suites and villas with cool contemporary interiors and fabulous sea views, and many with their own private pool. Private sandy beach, and fantastic facilties for all the family including luxury spa and kids club.Kids Club - Supervised kids' club for children up to 12 with a huge range of activities.Swimming Pool - Two outdoor seawater infinity pools, plus two indoor pools too!Sights nearby - Visit Agios Nikolaos Port.On the beach - Private beach