The 7 Best Castle Hotels in Ireland
Any trip to Ireland would be incomplete without getting out into its rugged and beautiful countryside. And there is hardly a better way of experiencing it than from one of the country's grand castles. Whether it is history you are interested in, or rural pursuits, or even just a good dose of luxury our collection of the best castle hotels in Ireland are bound to please. So why not browse through our Irish castle stays and start planning your trip?
For rural pursuits
- Castle Leslie is a family-owned castle crammed with antiques and period features, situated in County Monaghan. The atmosphere is laid-back and unstuffy and there are plenty of activities available to suit everyone from horse riding to fishing, as well as lovely walks. And if none of that is for you, there's a spoiling spa to simply unwind in!
- Waterford Castle boasts an enviable location set on its own private island, just outside the town bearing its name. Awash with heritage and charm, it offers luxurious rooms, an excellent restaurant and an onsite 18-hole golf course. Tennis, clay-pigeon shooting, and archery options complete this rural escape.
- Dromoland Castle is an imposing castle set in 450 acres of parkland and boasting its own 18-hole championship golf course. Rooms are suitably grand with a heady blend of traditional style alongside contemporary luxuries. The restaurant is highly acclaimed and there's a wide range of rural activities on offer. Located in County Clare about 12km north of Shannon Airport.
- Killiane Castle is a majestic 15th century castle offering a luxurious country escape. Interiors are traditional yet pared-back. Choose this property for the wide array of activities, from an on-site golf driving range to nature trails and croquet; entertainment for all the family. Located on Ireland's East Coast, just outside Wexford.
For a traditional stay
- The Castle is an impressive family owned castle boasting a spectacular location overlooking Castletownshend harbour, in County Cork. Elegant rooms are traditional in style with heavy antique furniture - the best have four posters - rich hues and oak panelling. A perfect choice for a grand rural escape.
For a lough-side break
- Lough Rynn Castle is both impressive inside and out. An imposing exterior opens onto grand traditional interiors (with the odd contemporary touch). The gardens are beautifully manicured and it is just a short stroll to the shores of County Leitrim's Lough Rynn.
For the spa
- Lough Eske Castle Hotel is a five star property that has been beautifully renovated throughout, offering contemporary accommodation in a traditional setting. Choose this property for the lough-side location in County Donegal, and the indulgent spa which includes an indoor pool set in the Victorian Glass House.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Ireland?
- Or you could expand your search to our Guru's recommendations for the best castle hotels in the United Kingdom or the best pet friendly hotels in Ireland or the best golf hotels in Ireland. Alternatively, refine your search to include our best properties in County Donegal, Cork, or Killarney.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Castle Leslie Glaslough, County Monaghan 46 rooms from £71Riding - Equestrian centre on site offering something for everyone from beginners to experts. Riding packages are availableCastle - Set in 1000 acre estateRestaurant - Snaffles restaurant for fine dining or Conor's Bar for more casual mealsSpa - Wide range of traditional organic therapies on offerRecommended by - I Escape
Family owned Castle Leslie has been converted into an unstuffy luxury country hotel. Rooms are crammed with antiques and period features and there is something for everyone from horse riding to relaxing in the spa. 2 AA Rosette standard fine dining or Conor's Bar for a more relaxed feel. See More
Killiane Castle County Wexford 8 rooms from £109Country Escape - A luxurious rural retreat surrounded by beautiful rugged countryside.Great walks - Follow the tree lined nature trail that runs straight from the property.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.
A majestic 15th century Castle and 17th century house turned five star hotel. Individually styled rooms are traditional yet unfussy with soft patterns, large sash windows and choice antiques. With a host of outdoor pursuits to choose from both on and off the property this is ideal for family breaks. See More
The Castle NR SKIBBEREEN, County Cork 11 rooms from £114Total relaxation - A luxury property set in a tranquil spot overlooking the peaceful waterfront of Castletownshend harbour.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating Knockdrum Stone Fort.Great walks - Take long walks along the coastal paths.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Lough Rynn Castle Co Leitrim, County Leitrim 42 rooms from £108Local exploring - The property is ideally located for exploring some of the best bits of the Wild Atlantic Way.Country Escape - A 19th century castle set in beautiful gardens; an indulgent escape to natureWeddings - The house can be hired in its entirety as a spectacular backdrop to a weddingRestaurant - The fine-dining Sandstone Restaurant has been awarded 2 AA RosettesRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
An impressive 19th-century castle set in beautifully manicured gardens just a stroll away from the lough. Interiors are everything you could desire from such a property: rich fabrics, decadent four-posters and solid antiques. The bonus being, there are plenty of indulgent contemporary touches too. See More
Lough Eske Castle Hotel & Spa County Donegal 96 rooms from £157Families - The perfect spot for a rural getaway, with plenty of space and lots of activities to keep the little ones busy!Local exploring - In a superb location on the shores of Lough Eske and only a ten minute drive from the town.Spa - Cara Organic Beauty Spa with thermal suite, infinity pool and extensive range of restorative treatments.Fishing - Great place for fishing, bring your catch back to the hotel and learn how to cook from the experts!
A magnificent castle set amidst the abundant beauty of rural Donegal. Rooms are luxurious and spacious, adorned with comfortable, tasteful furnishings. In the day unwind in the hotel's extensive spa and at night enjoy delicious locally sourced seafood in the Cedars Grill. A rural Irish gem. See More
Waterford Castle Waterford (Ballinakill) 22 rooms from £207Country Escape - On its own private island and with a golf course onsite, it's the perfect country escape.Great walks - There are a large assortment of nature trails and walking paths to explore.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.
Set on a private island, the historic Waterford Castle is an atmospheric spot for a weekend away. Awash with heritage and charm, it offers luxurious rooms, an excellent restaurant and an onsite golf-course. The modern, self-catered lodges are perfect for families or groups. See More
Dromoland Castle Co. Clare, County Clare 99 rooms from £269Active Holiday - Boasting its own golf course and numerous other rural pursuits this is perfect destination for those who like to get outdoorsGolf - Play a round on the impressive 18-hole championship course on the property groundsCountry Escape - An imposing castle set in acres of manicured grounds; a luxurious rural escapeSwimming Pool - Indoor pool
An imposing castle set in 450 acres of parkland and boasting its own 18-hole championship golf course. Rooms are suitably grand with a heady blend of traditional style with contemporary luxuries. The restaurant is highly acclaimed and there's a wide range of rural activities on offer. See More