6 of the Best Wine Hotels Auckland and Waiheke Island
Auckland in North Island is not only New Zealand’s largest city but it’s also internationally renowned for its boutique wineries. Planted mainly with chardonnay and Bordeaux varieties - merlot, cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc - Auckland’s vineyards are within easy distance of its city centre. Kumeu, to the north east, and Waiheke Island in the Hauraki Gulf, are home to some of its most famous vineyards. The small, hilly island of Waiheke has a quite distinct climate and feel, partly due to its laidback population of hippies and artists. This means that our range of wine hotels in Auckland has something for everyone.
The Best Wine Hotels on Waiheke Island
- Even closer to the beach, Waiheke Island Resort also has self-catering studios and apartments but with a wider range of on-site facilities, including a bar, restaurant, pool and hot tubs.
- If you want a little more cossetting, Te Whau lodge is a modern take on a chalet with lots of natural woods, glass and expansive views from its verandas. Close to both beach and wineries, it has a hot tub plus a garden that produces much of its fresh breakfasts.
- And if you really want luxury, check out cliff-top Delamore Lodge where the sea-facing rooms have private courtyards, floor-to-ceiling windows and an understated elegance. There’s an infinity pool, tropical rock pool with waterfall, and plenty of sculptural designed outdoor seating areas designed for just chilling and sipping wine.
Wine hotels in Auckland city
- For good value and a historic building to boot, the Esplanade Hotel makes a charming choice. This Edwardian building has contemporary classic rooms, some with open fires. Sitting on Devonport waterfront, it’s nicely away from the hustle of downtown Auckland.
- Also large (165 rooms), but altogether cooler and crisper, with floor-to-ceiling windows and minimalist-furnished white rooms, the Hilton Auckland has a stunning position on the city’s waterfront. One of its most remarkable features is its high-level, outdoor heated lap pool.
- In the heart of the action, Hotel deBrett is a bright, quirky affair with colourful striped carpets, and a mix of retro and vintage furnishings. There’s a clubby bar with a good choice of local boutique wines, contemporary art on the walls plus a gym and massage room.
Our choice of wine hotels in Auckland means you can combine both a beach and a city stay. For a wider selection either consult our Ultimate guide to the best wine hotels in New Zealand or check out our full listings for Auckland, Waiheke Island and the North Island.
Waiheke Island Resort Waiheke Island 25 rooms from £117Birdwatching - Endangered kiwiHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.TennisRestaurant - Recommended.
Chic apartments and studios with kitchen facilities on Waiheke Island, five minutes from Palm Beach. Spacious rooms, modern furnishings and private outdoor seating areas with sea views. With a bar, restaurant, pool, hot tub, tennis court and conference facilities. For a relaxing island getaway. See More
Te Whau Lodge Waiheke Island from £325Views - Overlooking Putiki BayRestrictions on childrenSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Contemporary boutique lodge with panoramic views across Putiki Bay, and access to a private beach. Rooms are modern, elegant, light and spacious and all have a private deck with table and chairs. Fresh breakfast from ingredients grown in garden. Close to wineries, beaches and great walks. See More
Delamore Lodge Waiheke Island 5 rooms from £674Views - Overlooking Owhanake Bay out to Hauraki GulfSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated infinity poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Boutique lodge with spectacular cliff top location overlooking Owhanake Bay. Modern and luxurious rooms with floor to ceiling windows, private courtyards and uninterrupted bay views. Close to wineries, olive oil tastings, scenic walks and unspoilt beaches. Ideal for a romantic getaway. See More
Hotel DeBrett Auckland 25 rooms from £130Families - Families are well catered for in either the Deluxe or Loft Suites which can each sleep up to four.Sights nearby - Short walk to Viaduct Harbour and Sky TowerDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Quirky - An experience!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Wonderful bright and colourful rooms with a retro edge and eclectic mix of modern furniture and local art. Situated in Auckland's central hub close to galleries, restaurants and great shopping. Nearby gym and massage facilities. Laid back and family friendly, with babysitting services available. See More
Hilton Auckland Auckland (147 QUAY STREET) 165 rooms from £286Views - Harbour and city viewsSights nearby - Art galleries, museumsRestaurant - Recommended.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
The Esplanade Hotel Auckland (Devonport) 17 rooms from £104Sights nearby - 10 mins ferry ride to city centreViews - Devonport harbour and city viewsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Boutique