The Best Hotels in Staré Mesto
One of the challenges of working out where to stay in Prague is that there are three distinct and incompatible systems in use to delineate the various parts of the city. The oldest system separates Prague into ten districts, with Praha 1 being the oldest part of the city, and where the majority of Prague’s highlights can be found. Praha 2 has some important historic sites too, but Praha 1 encompasses the Old Town or Staré Mesto. And if you want to be within walking distance of almost all of Prague’s main attractions then you’ll want to stay in one of the places appearing on our Guru’s list of the best hotels in Staré Mesto.
The other parts of Praha 1, Nové Mesto, Malá Strana and Hradčany, are also very conveniently located, but Staré Mesto is where you’ll find Prague’s UNESCO Heritage Listed Old Town Square, the Charles Bridge, the Astronomical Clock and the Old Town Hall, the Convent of St Agnes with its incredible Gothic altarpieces, the Jan Hus monument, the Mucha Museum and the Museum of Communism. And of course some seriously stunning architecture, from medieval treasures to elegant art nouveau and cubist facades, and grand Gothic to ornate baroque... it’s all here. Along with the gentle Vltava, castle views and a really, really, really wide range of local beer!
The Best Hotels in Staré Mesto
For Incredible Views
- The Four Seasons Prague is a luxurious option, with its 157 rooms spread through three buildings, one Classical in style, one Renaissance, and one Baroque. The views of the castle and the river will really help you enjoy the beauty of this city for your entire stay. And the decor has plenty of charm too. There’s also a hip restaurant.
- The Emblem Hotel is a simpler affair, but its rooftop terrace and spa is fantastic. The location couldn’t be much better and the 59 rooms and suites offer all the mod. cons. with clean lines, bold fabrics and the latest technology.
A Chic Choice
- The Buddha-Bar Hotel Prague is an ‘urban resort’ set in an historic building in the heart of Prague. There are 38 good sized rooms and a lovely oriental spa - the whole place has a contemporary Asian interior feel. The cuisine is Pan-Asian too, and the lounge has live DJs.
- The Hotel Josef is a contemporary design hotel with 109 naturally lit rooms decorated in a minimalist style. The bathrooms are luxurious, the bar is trendy and there’s a peaceful courtyard.
- The Iron Gate Hotel & Suites is in the Jewish Quarter, in the heart of the Old Town, and offers accommodation in large rooms and suites with lots of traditional charm.
- The Pachtuv Palace was originally a palace, but it’s now an utterly romantic six room/suite hotel with cavernous ceilings, private balconies and four-poster beds. It also has a restaurant, spa and fitness centre and a rose garden.
- The Dominican Hotel is a 27 room property with a traditional facade and romantic decor - think wooden floors and beams, and chandeliers. There’s a restaurant specialising in local cuisine.
For Great Value
- The Maximilian Hotel occupies an elegant building built in the 20s, and has fairly minimalist decor in its 71 rooms. The views are great and there’s a spa. Rooms start from around €100 per night.
- The Unitas Hotel is traditional inn-style property in the Old Town with 22 comfortable, understated rooms, lots of space and bags of charisma. There’s a charming courtyard with a lovely cafe.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best hotels in Staré Mesto on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Prague,
- or our Guru’s collection of the best hotels in Nové Mesto?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Hotels in Staré Mesto
Four Seasons Prague 157 rooms from £267Prague (Praha 1)
Luxury hotel encompassing three buildings of Classical, Renaissance, and Baroque origin, in Prague's Old Town. Magnificent architecture meets elegant interiors. Stunning castle and river views and luxurious rooms with state of the art technology. Ideally placed for an indulgent stay in Prague.Foodies - The achingly hip Cotto Crudo served up a variety of raw foods, as well as a wonderful tasting menus with pairings.City Style - An elegant hotel set in three historic buildings overlooking the Vltava River and Charles Bridge.Great walks - Wander the streets of the Old Town Square and Jewish Quarter just outside the hotel.Sights nearby - No visit to the city is complete without a trip to the fairytale Prague Castle.Recommended by - Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Fodors
The Emblem Hotel 59 rooms from £124Prague
Boutique urban hotel right in the centre of Prague a short walk to the old town square and Charles Bridge. Rooms & suites offer clean lines, bold fabrics, & the latest technology including in-room tablets. Terrific rooftop spa with views over the city. Ideal spot for pleasure or business.Spa - The Pure Altitude Spa is at the top of the hotel with spectacular views over the roof tops of PragueRoof terrace - The jacuzzi on the roof terrace has amazing views the city and Hradcany castleDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
Buddha-Bar Hotel Prague 38 rooms from £219Prague
An urban resort boasting contemporary Asian interior design with French colonial influence, set in a historical building in the heart of Prague. Large lavish rooms and a lovely oriental spa for complete relaxation. Enjoy the Pan-Asian cuisine and live DJ sets in the lounge. A chic choice.City Style - A trendy hotel marrying the sleek style and lively nightlife of the Buddha-Bar brand with luxurious suites and service.Sights nearby - Walking distance to the Royal Palace, Old Town Square, Wenceslas Square and the Jewish Quarter.Romantic - Good for couples.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Hotel Josef 109 rooms from £100Prague
Contemporary design hotel with minimalist interiors. Naturally lit rooms, some with balconies and all with modern luxury bathrooms. Legendary breakfasts and a trendy bar. Peaceful courtyard and wonderful views. Well situated for exploring Prague.City Style - A design hotel by celebrated Czech architect Eva Jiricna, with uber modern interiors right in the heart of Prague.Great walks - The well informed staff lead a jog around the Old Town on Tuesday and Friday mornings.Sights nearby - Close to the Charles Bridge, Tyn Church, Republic Square and Prague Castle.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - I Escape, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Iron Gate Hotel & Suites 48 rooms from £113Prague
An historic building with lots of traditional charm. Large bedrooms and suites have wooden beams, wooden floors and white washed walls. Close to all the attractions. Perfect for a city break.Sights nearby - Josefov, the old Jewish Quarter. Situated in the heart of the Old TownLocal markets - Charles Bridge, Nové Mesto.Great walks - Petrin Hill.TraditionalRecommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller
Pachtuv Palace 6 rooms from £96Prague
An utterly romantic former palace. Palatial rooms and suites have four poster beds, cavernous ceilings, art works and private balconies with views over the river. Fantastic restaurant, rose garden, and fitness/spa centre. A Romeo and Juliet style choice.Romantic - Good for couples.LuxuryRomantic BreakCity StyleRecommended by - Fodors
Dominican Hotel 27 rooms from £116Prague
A seriously charming hotel in Prague's Old Town. A traditional facade on a cobbled street houses romantic bedrooms and a restaurant serving local cuisine. Huge rooms have creamy furnishings, wooden floors and beams, and chandeliers. Romantic, excellent value, and traditional.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Close to all major sights including Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, Wenceslav Square, National Theatre and Powder Tower.Romantic - Good for couples.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Maximilian Hotel 71 rooms from £100Prague
Elegant 1920s building with modern interior decor. Hip minimalist rooms feature glass partitions to the bathroom. Excellent breakfasts and a spoiling spa for completely unwinding. Wonderful views over Prague's main cultural attractions. Well positioned to make the most of the city.Sights nearby - Within easy access of Prague Castle, the famous Charles Bridge, the Old Town Square and the Jewish Quarter.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Unitas Hotel 22 rooms from £104Prague
A lovely traditional inn-style hotel in Prague's Old Town. Comfortable understated rooms with lots of space. Charming courtyard and cafe. An excellent value spot with bags of charisma.Sights nearby - Easy access to all Prague's major attractionsTraditionalLocal markets - Good for local colour.