The 15 Best Family Hotels in Devon
There are a vast selection of hotels in this region of South West England, and our Guru's have hand-picked the best family hotels in Devon to choose from. With its long stretches of coastlines, its sandy beaches, national parks and quaint seaside towns, Devon provides a natural backdrop for any family getaway. The best family hotels are often found along the dramatic Jurrassic coastline where long walks and hearty meals in country pubs tend to be the order of the day. Whether you are travelling with older children who are looking for an action packed holiday, or you would prefer a hotel with a spa, or perhaps you want something self-catered and a little more laid-back - we have something for everyone. Why not browse through our collection of the best family hotels in Devon to start planning your trip?
For a classic family beach holiday
- The Red Lion is a charming family friendly hotel overlooking Clovelly Harbour. The interiors are reassuringly traditional and the restaurant serves up the best of the day's catch. A low-key stay ideal for a family seaside holiday.
- Watersmeet Hotel boasts a secluded coastal spot with wonderful views over the North Devon Coast. Rooms are bright and contemporary and the restaurant serves delicious dishes using local produce. The casual ambience and numerous activities make this an ideal choice for a family coastal break.
- Soar Mill Cove Hotel is a relaxed family friendly hotel a couple of miles from Salcombe. Spacious rooms and suites offer stunning sea views, and if you want the use of hotel facilities but a little more flexibility, then book one of the self catering units, which also come with private hot tub! Explore the wonderful walking country right on the doorstep and there's a warm welcome for canine guests too.
- Saunton Sands Hotel is a quintessential family seaside hotel boasting a spectacular setting on the North Devon coast. There's a range of both double rooms and apartments making this an ideal choice for families (and groups) plus there's plenty of activities on offer and award-winning dining.
For a back to nature vibe
- Dittisham Hideaway is the property to book if your family likes to feel that they can really get back to nature. It's a charming collection of treehouses, shepherd's huts and an original vintage American airstream, set in a gorgeous landscape just north of Dartmouth. The treehouses (and one of the shepherd's huts) are perfect for families as they can sleep two adults and up to three children, plus they boast a private outdoor wood-fired hot tub and an array of fun games. Swallows and Amazons style heaven, with all the modern conveniences you can wish for!
For an action packed family holiday
- Thurlestone Hotel is a great pick for a family holiday where there's lots of different age groups to entertain. Just a short stroll from the beach and offering a multitude of activities from golf to tennis. The indulgent spa will please adults while the swimming pool will provide hours of fun for little ones.
- South Sands boasts a stunning location right on the beach and next to a renowned sailing and watersports centre. Spacious suites are ideal for families and the brasserie turns out great seafood.
- Bovey Castle is a family friendly country house hotel with something for everyone: lego room service for the little ones and bespoke spa treatments for the adults! Ideally situated for exploring the wilderness of Dartmoor and more activities on site than you can imagine.
For a traditional country stay
- Hotel Endsleigh is an historic shooting lodge set in stunning grounds. Interiors are traditional and elegant. Offering a plethora of outdoor pursuits from croquet to horse riding and shooting to fishing. An ideal choice for families interested in country pursuits.
- Ilsington Country House is a lovely British country house set in beautiful, rugged Dartmoor. Interiors are traditional and there are plenty of outdoor activities to keep everyone occupied in the national park.
For a boutique hotel
- Cary Arms offers all the trappings of a boutique hotel with the added bonus of a traditional pub which serves hearty fare. Chic white washed rooms mix traditional features with modern simplicity while cottages offering three, four, or five rooms are ideal for families.
- Salcombe Harbour Hotel is set on the edge of pretty Salcombe and is just a short walk from a sandy beach. Uniformly smart rooms are done in a soft nautical theme. Boasting an in-house cinema, spa, and indoor pool this is an indulgent coastal stay yet with a family-friendly atmosphere.
For a hotel with a spa
- Gara Rock is a coastal chic property with bohemian inspired interiors and jaw-dropping coastal views. Loft suites are perfect for couples while the self-catering cottages are a great choice for those travelling with children. The gourmet restaurant and spa make this a spoiling choice - undoubtedly this is one of the very best luxury family hotels in Devon.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Devon?
- Or you could refine your search to our Guru's recommendations for the best boutique hotels in Devon? Or the best hotels in Dartmoor National Park? Or the best hotels in Devon by the sea?
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Dittisham Hideaway Treehouses & Shepherds Lodges Dartmouth from £195Exclusive offer - Romantic Escape at Dittisham HideawayFamilies - Kids love the treehouses (complete with games and hot tubs) and there's acres of space to mess around inHideaway - The name says it all! Dittisham Hideaways is the one to book if you want to escape the crowdsSelf catering to rent - All units come with fully equipped kitchens or you can book a private chef!Back to Nature - Quirky accommodation in a wooded valley offers a truly back to nature vibe
A charming collection of shepherd's lodges, treehouses and an original American Airstream just five minutes from the River Dart. All offer quirky, unusual accommodation in a stunning location. Interiors are contemporary with a rustic vibe; treehouses come with hot tubs. Great fun for all the family. See More
Thurlestone Hotel Kingsbridge, Devon 65 rooms from £150Local exploring - From hidden beaches to National Trust Properties and pretty seaside villages, there's masses to see and do.Sights nearby - Within a short drive there is a wide range of museums, castles, National Trust properties and pretty seaside towns to exploreTennis - Thurlestone has two all weather courts with racquets and balls to borrow if required.Spa - The Voyage Spa offers a good range of beauty therapies, plus pool and hot tub
A charming family friendly property on the South Devon coast with superb facilities for all ages. There's a wide range of rooms with a traditional yet contemporary feel - many with a private balcony and sea view, plus award winning fine dining, superb spa, golf course and much more. See More
Hotel Endsleigh Tavistock 19 rooms from £250Families - Babysitting and monitors available plus such delights as picnics (complete with lanterns and blankets) in the grounds.Honeymoons - Fairytale suites, gourmet cuisine, cosy fireside sofas and incredible grounds for strolling hand in hand- enchanting!Country Escape - Extensive grounds for fishing, shooting, and rambling, plus plenty of comfy armchairs for the weary walker!Sights nearby - The National Trust and its stately homes make for a great day exploring - Cothele House, Saltram House and Castle Drogo.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Historic shooting lodge offering an intimate, Olga Polizzi styled stay. Relax in the stunning grounds or in the library. Beautiful rooms overlook the Tamar valley and river. Excellent restaurant, and immaculate staff. Probably one of the best in the South West. See More
The Red Lion, Devon Clovelly, Devon 17 rooms from £170Restaurant - Specialising in freshly caught seafood and other locally sourced ingredients.Views - All rooms boast either sea or harbour viewsGreat walks - South West Coastal Path on the doorstepFull of character
A charming family friendly hotel overlooking Clovelly Harbour. Seventeen attractive rooms decorated in a neutral palette with splashes of blue and green to reflect the nautical feel. Cosy bar and restaurant serving up the best of day's catch. Great option for a traditional seaside holiday. See More
Watersmeet Hotel Woolacombe, Devon 25 rooms from £134Restaurant - Serves classic English dishes with the majority of the ingredients sourced locally.Spa - In room treatments available plus steam room and hot tubViews - Amazing sea views from all but two of the bedroomsOn the beach - Direct access to a sandy beach below the hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Classic seaside hotel with fabulous views over the North Devon coast. Tastefully refurbished rooms reflect the beach side location and the restaurant offers delicious food sourced from local ingredients. An romantic hotel for a seaside break and ideal for a family holiday too. See More
Soar Mill Cove Hotel South Devon 20 rooms from £159Great walks - The Devon Coastal path is on the doorstepFamiliesRestaurant - Delicious 2 AA Rosette standard dining, with menus featuring plenty of local seafood.Private Hot Tub - Book one of the Ocean View self catering units for your own outdoor hot tub.
Gara Rock South Devon 12 rooms from £168Country Escape - This cosy, stylish retreat is set on the beautiful Devon cliffs, ideal for refreshing windswept walks and coastal explorationFamilies - The self-contained cottages are perfect for a family holiday, with self-catering facilities availableRomantic Break - Book a loft suite for romantic views over the dramatic Devon coastlineGreat walks - There are a host of picturesque coastal trails to explore; ask your hosts for recommendations for your itinerary
This clifftop hotel is located in East Portlemouth, Devon. Choose from loft suites with excellent views or family-friendly self-catering cottages. All feature large windows and a bohemian feel, with jute rugs and block-prints. Sample the gourmet restaurant before booking into the spa; a chic hotel. See More
South Sands Salcombe, Devon 22 rooms from £195Great walks - Walk up behind the hotel and look around the National Trust's Overbeck's House and Garden a treasure trove of tropical plants.Local markets - Walk to Salcombe and check out the various art galleries and boutiques including Bibi & Mac, Quba Sails and Jack Wills.Sailing - South Sands Sailing school is right next to the hotel offering sailing, kayaking and other watersports.Fishing - The hotel can arrange deep-sea fishing trips with a little notice.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide
Paradise for watersport addicts - a comfortable haven, right on the beach. Rooms are designed in a contemporary New England style - creams and soft pastel colours. The spacious suites are perfect for families. Enjoy the sea air and great brasserie food at the beach side restaurant and terrace. See More
Saunton Sands Hotel Nr Braunton, Devon 95 rooms from £206Swimming Pool - Heated indoor and outdoor swimming pools.Sights nearby - Enjoy a day out at Victorian Watermouth Castle; providing a theme park for the kids.Kids Club - A supervised playroom and two hours free childcare per day for under-eights.Spa - A comprehensive facility offering all you could want to relax and unwind.
Quintessential family seaside hotel with a spectacular setting on the North Devon coast. Stylish contemporary accommodation in neutral muted hues, with flexible options from doubles to family apartments. Top class on-site facilities for sports, relaxation & family fun plus 2AA Rosette fine dining. See More
Bovey Castle Chagford 64 rooms from £229Child friendly - Daily egg collecting, meet the ferrets and falconry displays. Colouring books & crayons for little ones at meal times!Spa - UK's flagship SUNDARI spaFamiliesRestaurant - The Edwardian Grill for fine dining and Castle Bistro for more family friendly fare.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
Salcombe Harbour Hotel South Devon 50 rooms from £295Suites - All rooms come with 'balcony baskets' with binoculars throws and books, complimentary gin and sherrySit-out Terrace - Wonderful terraces with sunloungers and glorious views of the harbour, estuary and out to sea.Restaurant - The Jetty Restaurant is both chic and family friendly with mouthwatering seafood lunch barParking - Cars are left on the hotel state of the art turntable and valet parked!
On the edge of bustling and picture postcard Salcombe this stunning newly refurbished boutique hotel has everything one could wish for. Magnificently situated, overlooking the estuary with its sailing boats, sandy beaches and a short walk into town. Wonderful terraces, spa and pool, cinema. Bliss See More
Ilsington Country House Dartmoor, Devon 25 rooms from £140Spa breaks - A country house and contemporary spa which uses the latest technology alongside touches of ancient Tibetan knowledge.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolViews - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A quintessentially British country house set in beautiful, rugged Dartmoor. Charming rooms feature soft hues, tartan fabrics and sink-into beds. A fabulous restaurant (using the freshest local produce) and indulgent spa are a welcome respite after a day spent on the moors. See More