11 of the Best Pubs with Rooms in the Midlands
The Midlands is where you’ll find the great English landscapes of fiction come to life, there are sweeping green valleys, rugged moorlands, neat fields full of content sheep and cattle and postcard-perfect villages with timber-framed Tudor houses or thatched-roofed cottages. There are also stately piles, graceful towns, big, vibrant cities and the relics of the industrial revolution. So there’s a lot to see. And if you’re not in a hurry, our Guru’s recommend you take it in while staying in the best pubs with rooms in the Midlands.
Our Guru’s recommendations for the best pubs with rooms in the Midlands, which also includes old coaching inns, is a fantastic collection of pockets of old Britishness. There are charming stone locals in the Peak District, Michelin starred offerings in sleepy Rutland villages and a couple of super comfortable options close to the Chatsworth Estate. What they all have in common is a friendly welcome, comfortable accommodation and great food and drink. Which is what travellers on the roads in these parts have always needed.
- The Royal Forester Inn is a well-refurbished old coaching inn, this time located just outside Worcestershire's Wyre Forest. There are seven modern rooms with comfy beds and pop art, plus a traditional British restaurant and bar and big open fireplaces. Quaint, and great for families and dogs!
- On the lovely Burghley Estate near the charming market town of Stamford, The Bull & Swan is an ancient coaching inn with seven elegant bedrooms and a reputation for great food.
- Like The Bull & Swan, The William Cecil is on the Burghley House Estate - close to Stamford, which has got to be one of the most beautiful, and best, places to stay in the East Midlands.
- The Brownlow Arms is a charming 17th century country inn with seven elegant, comfortable rooms in the picturesque village of Hough-on-the-Hill. The surrounding Lincolnshire countryside is beautiful, and there are plenty of historic sights to see, plus the food alone is worth a visit.
- The Olive Branch is a Michelin recommended pub/restaurant with six, smartly refurbished rooms. The small village atmosphere of Clipsham, Rutland, is relaxing, friendly and peaceful. They also run cooking courses.
- The Devonshire Arms, Beeley has 14 boutique-y bedrooms and a good, contemporary style brasserie. You’re right in the heart of the Peak District National Park and close to the Chatsworth Estate.
- The Fuzzy Duck in Armscote, close to Stratford-upon-Avon, is a quintessential English pub turned boutique, with shabby chic decor in grey tones and two bedrooms with large bathrooms and roll top baths. The restaurant is quite gourmet, but masquerading as a gastro-pub.
- The Fox and Hounds is a beautiful 17th century coaching inn with just four rooms, in the pretty village of Exton. The interiors are elegant and sophisticated and there's an excellent modern British restaurant. Ideal for a cosy getaway!
For great value
- The Devonshire Arms at Pilsley is a seven room country pub with decor designs by the Duchess of Devonshire, who has favoured great bathrooms and some nice antiques. Much of the local produce featured on the menu comes from the Chatsworth Estate, and the rooms start from around £80 a night.
- The Talbot Inn in Newnham Bridge is a beautifully restored 19th century coaching inn in the picturesque Teme Valley. The decor in the seven rooms, and in the pub and restaurant, is rustic chic, you’re surrounded by potential walking trails and the room rate is very affordable.
- For around £100 per night you can get a rooms at The Manor House at Quorn, which, despite the name is a chic rural pub offering luxurious accommodation and exemplary pub food. A handful of individually styled rooms perfectly mix contemporary and traditional styles with exposed brick and beams, simple modern furniture and crisp white linen.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best pubs with rooms in the Midlands on our Guru’s list you could:
- You could refine your search to just the 5 Best Pubs with Rooms in the Peak District?
- Or browse through our list of all the best pubs with rooms in Derbyshire? or Lincolnshire’s best pubs with rooms? or the 10 Best Hotels in the Peak District?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Olive Branch Rutland 6 rooms from £115Cooking classes - Kitchen masterclasses where you can work alongside the kitchen team and learn butchery and finish preparation skillsRestaurant - Michelin recommended and County Dining Pub of the Year. Closed Sunday night to WednesdayRestaurant with roomsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Fuzzy Duck Armscote, Warwickshire 4 rooms from £120Sights nearby - Catch a play at The Royal Shakespeare Theatre or visit one of Shakespeare's family homes.Great walks - The miles and miles of scenic Cotswolds walking paths are worth exploring.Sailing - Take a canal boat ride down the River Avon.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Bull & Swan Stamford 7 rooms from £100Sights nearby - Burghley House within a cross country walkRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Brownlow Arms Lincolnshire 5 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Lincoln Cathedral & Bailgate is a grand Gothic Cathedral, nestled in the cobbled bailgate area overlooking the city of LincolnGreat walks - Take a walk in the National Trust's Belton House groundsFull of characterRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The William Cecil Stamford 27 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Burghley House close byRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Devonshire Arms at Pilsley Pilsley, Derbyshire 7 rooms from £79Great walks - Extensive walks around the estate.Sights nearby - Close to Chatsworth.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Sawdays
Fox and Hounds Hotel EXTON, Rutland 4 rooms from £126Country Escape - A traditional country inn surrounded by glorious countryside.Great walks - Explore the miles of scenic walking trails starting straight from the property.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.
A small country hotel, a former 17th Century coaching inn, boasting a picturesque spot on the large green in the pretty village of Exton. Elegant rooms are warm and atmospheric with rich hues, antique pieces and open fireplaces. There's an excellent modern British restaurant too. See More
The Devonshire Arms Beeley Beeley, Derbyshire 14 rooms from £100Boutique - Stylish bedrooms designed by the DuchessSights nearby - Chatsworth on the doorstep.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Royal Forester Inn Nr Bewdley, Worcestershire 7 rooms from £87Families - Ideal for a family holiday with your pooch- with family suites, great food, and extensive activities such as biking and hiking.Great walks - Enjoy long walks with your dog through the picturesque Wyre Forest.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.
The Manor House at Quorn Quorn, Leicestershire 7 rooms from £100Country Escape - A country pub complete with cosy interiors, hearty food and beautiful surrounding countryside.Great walks - Take long walks through the picturesque Beacon Hill Country Park.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A chic rural pub offering luxurious accommodation and exemplary pub restaurant. A handful of individually styled rooms perfectly mix contemporary and traditional styles with exposed brick and beams, simple modern furniture and crisp white linen. A delightful rural escape. See More