12 of The Best Hotels on the North Norfolk Coast
The North Norfolk Coast is where you’ll find some of England’s best sandy beaches. Sandwiched between salt marshes and dunes, loved by ornithologists, and pretty seaside towns. To the western end are the gastropubs and quiet villages, and, if your idea of the best hotels on the North Norfolk Coast involves boutique charm, then this patch is for you.
To the east are the busier, cheerful seaside resort towns, popular with families and where you’ll find some of the best hotels on the North Norfolk Coast if you’re looking for an old fashioned seaside holiday.
The Coast Road, between the lively resort of Hunstanton and Cromer, perched on the cliff, offers a scenic route along the whole stretch, and makes a great path if you want to explore the region, from the Holkham National Nature Reserve to the Cley Marches with all the possibilities of a rare bird sighting, to the postcard perfect Wells Beach and the sandbars of Titchwell Marsh. The Coast Road is also a great route to cycle - especially if you like things flat!
In addition there's a Norfolk Coast Path, which also runs between Hunstanton and Cromer. And if you do happen to be in Cromer then you’re not far from the beauty and peace of the Norfolk Broads. It’s also got a fantastic beach and one of the oldest piers in the country. And even if you’re not a foodie you’ll have heard of Cromer’s crabs.
The interior of the North Norfolk Coast has numerous pretty market towns, and the very charming North Norfolk Railway, centred around the genteel Georgian town of Holt.
For a Coastal Escape
- Titchwell Manor is a boutique-style hotel with 27, individually designed rooms offering stunning views and traditional touches: think flagstone floors and chintz wallpaper. This is a wonderful rural setting with a conservatory restaurant serving modern European cuisine.
- Morston Hall has it all. It’s a renowned gastro-pub with a Michelin star and 3 AA Rosettes, plus 13 rooms and beautiful views. You’re in a small village, but still close to the coastal path and numerous local stately homes. this is also a great spot for sailing and seal watching.
- The Victoria Inn is a comfortable, modern country inn with a peaceful, traditional ambience on North Norfolk’s coast road, just outside Wells-next-the-Sea. The inn has access to the Holkham estate which spreads out behind it, and a beautiful, long sandy beach about half a mile in front of it. Great for birdwatchers and those looking for a proper sandy beach in the UK.
- The Blakeney Hotel is a recently refurbished, 60 room hotel overlooking Blakeney’s small harbour. The rooms have a country character with exposed wood beams, large sash windows and chintz curtains, and there’s a restaurant on site and plenty of in-house entertainment, including an indoor pool. This is a great spot for families.
The Best Pubs with Rooms on the North Norfolk Coast
- The Lifeboat Inn is a charming rural inn on north Norfolk's beautiful coastline. There are just 13 rooms, which blend contemporary style yet retain the original charm. Downstairs you'll find a warm, fire lit lounge, a buzzing bar and exemplary restaurant.
- The Crown Hotel, in the coastal town of Wells next the Sea, has 17 legantly styled rooms with enormous sash windows and antique furniture, and downstairs there's a traditional restaurant where they use local produce to great effect.
- Blakeney is a pretty coastal village, and The White Horse Blakeney's nine rooms are chic, contemporary, bright and airy with white-washed walls, crisp white linen, exposed beams and monochrome soft furnishings. The laid-back restaurant serves 'innovative British fare'.
- The Globe Inn is in a spectacular spot close to some of Norfolk's most beautiful sandy beaches. The seven contemporary rooms are light and airy with brightly patterned wallpaper, crisp white linen and modern bathrooms. Downstairs exemplary pub fare is served in the restaurant and there's a cosy lounge too.
- Cley Windmill is a wonderful B&B in a converted windmill, with nine quaint rooms and beautiful views. You’re on the outskirts of the pretty village of Cley, on the edge of the salt marshes, which is also known for being a great birdwatching spot.
For a rural stay
- The Brisley Bell in rural north Norfolk is a recently restored brick-and-flint coaching inn, with oodles of character, a large inviting bar and acclaimed food. the generous sized, individually designed bedrooms are set in a private courtyard. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- Or, also in north Norfolk, and for a similar rate per night you might like to try The Ship Hotel, a charming, recently refurbished village pub, with well placed pieces of art, crisp white linen and beamed ceilings. The bar is atmospheric and the restaurant serves up innovative fare.
For excellent value
- The Hoste is a comfortable, modern hotel with 62 rooms, converted from an old inn. You’re just two miles from some spectacular sandy beaches and the coastal path, and the pub’s food is decent, with 2 AA Rosettes.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Norfolk
- Or you could refine your search to our Guru's recommendations for 16 of the Best Pubs with Rooms in Norfolk, the best places to stay in Norwich or the best places to stay in King's Lynn
- You could expand your search to include all the best pubs with rooms in the South East
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Cley Windmill Cley-next-the-Sea, Norfolk 10 rooms from £159Birdwatching - For keen ornithologist NWT Cley Marshes Nature Reserve is a wonderful area for spotting all manner of birds.Views - Panoramic views over the salt marshesLocal markets - Just South of the mill are small shops, selling pottery, smoked fish and secondhand books.Fishing - Saltwater Fly Fishing is available nearby, ask the friendly staff for further details.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Titchwell Manor Brancaster, Norfolk 27 rooms from £145Private Hot Tub - There are two rooms whose private patios offer a luxurious wooden outdoor hot tub.Views - Overlooking the North Norfolk coastline and marshes.Great walks - Lovely walks on the Norfolk coastal path.Birdwatching - Midweek birdwatching packages availableRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Boutique Norfolk coastal hotel with stunning views. Individually designed rooms offer traditional touches; flagstone floors, chintz wallpaper and sash wallpaper - all with contemporary bathrooms. Stunning modern European cuisine served in a lovely conservatory. Wonderful rural abode. See More
The Brisley Bell North Norfolk 6 rooms from £120Country Escape - Set in a charming spot with cosy interiors and exceptional rural views, lovely walks. Dogs welcome.Foodies - Serving classic British dishes with contemporary touches. Well acclaimedLocal exploringSights nearby - Galleries and stately homes aplenty in the surrounding area including Blickling Hall and Houghton
The Hoste Burnham Market, Norfolk 62 rooms from £110Beach nearby - Only 2 miles from award winning sandy beachesRestaurant - 2 AA RosettesSpa - Beauty spa in the Courtyard wing offering Clarins or Gatineau treatments plus a six person hot tub and relaxation area.Great walks - Explore the North Norfolk coastline.Recommended by - Sawdays, Mr & Mrs Smith
The Ship Hotel North Norfolk 9 rooms from £90Local exploring - Perfectly positioned for exploring north-west Norfolk's stately homes and picturesque coastline.Birdwatching - Just down the road is the RSPB Titchwell Marsh home to numerous migratory birds.Sights nearby - Spend an afternoon visiting the nearby Holkham Hall and Houghton Hall.Great walks - Take long walks along the secenic coastline.
A charming village pub ideally located to explore this north-western part of Norfolk. The rooms, following a refurbishment, have a fresh feel with soft hues, well placed pieces of art, crisp white linen and beamed ceilings. The bar is atmospheric and the restaurant serves up innovative fare. See More
Victoria Inn Holkham, Norfolk 20 rooms from £165Country Escape - A traditional English country house surrounded by rugged sceneryBeach nearby - Large sandy beach with dunes within walking distanceSights nearby - The Annual Holkham Country FairKayaking - The Lake at Holkham
A comfortable, modernised country inn with a traditional ambience on North Norfolk's coast road. With access to Holkham estate behind and an expansive sandy beach (one of England's best) just half a mile away. Ideal for beach walks, birdwatching and playing. Good restaurant. See More
The Crown Hotel Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk 17 rooms from £100Local exploring - Located in a lively beachside town ideally placed for accessing Norfolk's coastline and main sites.Sights nearby - The county is host to a number of stately homes including Sandringham Estate, Sheringham Park and Houghton Hall.Great walks - Embark on long walks along some of the 43 miles of coastline Norfolk has to offer.Sailing - Take a seal spotting trip to Blakeney Harbour.
The White Horse Blakeney Norfolk 9 rooms from £99Total relaxation - Unwind in this coastal property with well appointed rooms, a cosy bar and exemplary restaurant in a quiet corner of Norfolk.Sights nearby - Visit the Halls at Blickling, Felbrigg, Holkham, Houghton and Sandringham House..Sailing - Sail from Blakeley Point and spot the local seals.Great walks - Bring your boots and set out on a coastal walk.
A contemporary pub situated in the pretty coastal village of Blakeley. Chic rooms are bright and airy with white-washed walls, crisp white linen, exposed beams and monochrome soft furnishings. Dine in the laid-back restaurant serving innovative British fare. A charming stay. See More
The Lifeboat Inn Thornham, Norfolk 13 rooms from £105Country Escape - The ideal rural escape: fire lit lounges, cosy bedrooms, coastal walks and fabulous food.Sights nearby - Visit the houses, gardens and museums of grand stately homes such as Sandringham Estate and Holkham Hall.Birdwatching - North Norfolk is the UK's birdwatching capital and just over a mile from Thornham is RSPB Titchwell.Great walks - Discover the coastline, forests, parks and gardens of Norfolk.Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming rural inn set in an enviable location on Norfolk's beautiful coastline. Atmospheric rooms have undergone a sensitive renovation bringing some contemporary style yet keeping the original charm. Downstairs find a warm fire lit lounge, buzzing bar and exemplary restaurant. See More
The Globe Inn WELLS-NEXT-THE-SEA, Norfolk 7 rooms from £140Country Escape - Discover the sandy beaches, beautiful walking country of Norfolk and come back to superb hearty food.Great walks - Find numerous walking trails in and around Wells.TraditionalBoutiqueRecommended by - Sawdays
A chic inn boasting a spectacular setting close to some of Norfolk's most beautiful sandy beaches. Contemporary rooms are light and airy with brightly patterned wallpaper, crisp white linen and modern bathrooms. Downstairs exemplary pub fare is served in the restaurant and there's a cosy lounge too. See More
Morston Hall Morston, Norfolk 13 rooms from £320Foodies - Morston Hall's restaurant holds a Michelin star and 4 AA Rosettes!Cooking classes - Half day cookery demonstrations and three day residential courses available.Sights nearby - Close to plenty of East Anglia's stately homes.Great walks - Walk the coastal path
The Blakeney Hotel Blakeney, Norfolk 64 rooms from £228Back to Nature - Set by the spectacular estuary and salt marshes of Blakeney Point, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.Families - Plenty for the children including indoor pool, games room, board games, extensive walking and kiddies menu.Birdwatching - There are telescopes in the lounge to help you spot the numerous breeds of bird across the estuary and marshland.Sights nearby - There are a number of nearby halls including Blickling, Felbrigg, Holkham, Houghton and Sandringham.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Recently refurbished yet traditional hotel overlooking Blakeney's small harbour. Spacious country-style rooms with wooden beams, large sash windows & many with sea views. Classic food is served in the restaurant. Plenty of in-house entertainment including an indoor pool. Ideal for families. See More