- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best Pubs with Rooms in Sussex
East Sussex is a major destination for Londoners escaping to the coast, with colourful Brighton, genteel Eastbourne and historic Hastings just a few of the options. Battle and Rye don’t have the sea views, but there are plenty of beautiful sights to see, and then there’s the coastal walking and the South Downs Way to be getting on with. And all of these destinations are home to some of our pick of the best pubs with rooms in Sussex - lovely, atmospheric inns with great food and comfortable rooms.
West Sussex, as a county, is probably a little bit more peaceful, with a less dramatic coastline and the beautiful, cultured market towns of Chichester and Arundel. And of course more of the hills and dales of the South Downs. But when putting together a list of the best pubs with rooms in Sussex, our Gurus found just as many great pubs in West as East Sussex. And we happen to think that staying in a pub, with the camaraderie, the peace, the food and not having to worry about getting home at night, is a great way to experience Sussex. So here are out Guru’s recommendations for the best pubs with rooms in Sussex.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in Sussex
The Best Sussex Pubs with Rooms with a View
- The White Horse Inn near Chichester is a cosy and charming inn offering 14 rustic, but elegant rooms and the option to have a private terrace with hot tub. The gardens boast panoramic views over the rolling Sussex countryside. The restaurant has a superb wine list, and the whole place is pet friendly.
- The Angel in Midhurst is a beautiful, Georgian coaching inn, recently refurbished, but to highlight many of its wonderful original features. Some of the 15 rooms have spectacular views. The food is inventive and the bar is lively.
- Chichester’s Royal Oak is a charming, 200 year old inn which has become a bit more of a restaurant with rooms - the award-wining food was so good it overshadowed the bar. But we’re including it anyway because it still has all the requisite features and is a great spot for couples looking for a country escape.
- The Mermaid Inn is an historic, 13th century inn right in the centre of Rye. The whole place oozes period charm, from the black and white Tudor exterior to the carved four-poster beds, sloping, beamed ceilings and vast fireplaces. The food gets a 2 AA Rosette rating.
- Arundel’s Swan Hotel is a charming local inn in a great spot. There are 14 rooms, decorated with simple, neutral luxury. The pub is cosy and the restaurant specialises in seasonal fare.
- The George in Rye is historic, but very newly refurbished, so now you can expect all the modern, stylish trims inside a charming Georgian building. Each room is individual, and the atmosphere is relaxed.
- The Crab and Lobster in Sidlesham is a 16th century inn on the edge of Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve, with smart contemporary interiors. The restaurant is very popular - and well stocked with local supplies, and the views over the salt marshes are very peaceful.
- The Horse Guards Inn is a wonderfully homely inn on the outskirts of the 700 acre Petworth House Estate in the South Downs National Park. There are just three rooms and the atmosphere is cosy and welcoming.
- Also close to the South Downs, and Wakehurst Place, and Gatwick Airport, the Old House Inn has been converted from a farmhouse, and has six spacious, quirky rooms. The dining has an AA Rosette award and a full English breakfast is included in the room rate.
- The Halfway Bridge in Petworth is a cosy inn with six comfortable rooms, a warm atmosphere and good food. You’re surrounded by the beautiful Sussex countryside, but close to the cafes and antique shops of Petworth and there are walking trails leading off to the South Downs right from the door.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in Sussex for Families
- The White Hart in South Harting is a quintessential rural village inn, but with a few nice quirky touches. There are the wonderful old features you’d hope to find, like vast fireplaces, exposed beams and colourful tartans, but there’s modern bathrooms and hearty, but modern meals, served elegantly. Great for cyclists as well as walkers and families.
The Best Value Pubs with Rooms in Sussex
- The Griffin Inn in Fletching is a very popular village gastropub with 12 comfortable rooms offering expansive views over the peaceful Ouse Valley. Rooms start from £85 and are very family friendly.
- The Ship Inn in Rye, is a laid back pub with a Michelin recommendation and ten simple rooms. It’s a traditional pub with all the best kind of details: exposed beams, wooden floors and solid, but weathered, furniture. Rooms start from £110 per night including fabulous breakfast.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best pubs with rooms in Sussex on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in East Sussex or West Sussex,
- expand your search to include the best pubs with rooms in Berkshire,
- or our Guru’s collection of Great Hampshire Pubs with Rooms,
- or see all of the best pubs with rooms in the South East,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in Susssex
The White Hart 7 rooms from £129South Harting, West Sussex
Comfortable contemporary pitstop close to the South Downs for couples, families and cyclists. A charming and quirky village inn, popular amongst locals and travellers alike. Rooms feature colourful tartans, exposed beams and modern bathrooms. Roaring fires and hearty meals create a cosy feel.Country Escape - Nothing completes a trip to the country like a stay in a quintessentially English village inn!Foodies - Hearty meals served elegantly - foodies will loveSights nearby - Fishbourne Roman Palace and Gardens in nearby Chichester is a must visitLocal markets - The historic market towns of Petworth and Midhurst are simply charming
Royal Oak 8 rooms from £155Chichester, West Sussex
Charming 200 year old village inn turned popular restaurant with rooms in a quiet village. Cosy rooms with delicate pretty wallpaper and beamed ceilings. Downstairs a small bar pulls a good pint but the restaurant is the real showstopper. A lovely country escape.Country Escape - Ideally placed for country pursuits such as rambling, fishing and shooting, with hearty food and cosy interiors to return to.Foodies - Feast at the award winning restaurant, serving fresh, local and totally seasonal produce- a fine example of British cooking.Great walks - Bring your wellies and a packed lunch from the hotel and head out to explore the stunning landscape of the South Downs.Sights nearby - Explore the nearby Kingley Vale, home to one of Europe's most impressive and oldest yew forests.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The White Horse Inn 14 rooms from £130Chichester, DUPLICATE
Lovely cottages nestled in a rural setting in the heart of Sussex. Rooms combine rustic elegance with contemporary design - four poster beds, wool throws and wooden beams, private terraces and hot tubs to boot. A chic bar and restaurant with a superb wine-list. Pet friendly too.FoodiesLocal exploringCountry EscapeDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
The Mermaid Inn 31 rooms from £150Rye
Historic inn in the centre of Rye which dates back to the 13th Century. Rooms ooze period charm with carved four poster beds, sloping beamed ceilings and gorgeous original features including a vast fireplace in the bar. Delicious 2 AA Rosette dining. A perfect weekend getaway.Historic - The cellars date from 1156 and the building was rebuilt in 1420. It's a genuine piece of Tudor architectureFull of characterTraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
The George in Rye 34 rooms from £135Rye
'Rye’s most luxurious hotel,’ they claim, and we think that is fair: newly renovated historic inn with plenty of special touches. Great seafood, sumptuous rooms with chic styling.Restaurant - Recommended.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays
The Halfway Bridge 6 rooms from £140Petworth (West Sussex)
Cosy inn with comfortable rooms serving superior pub grub and a warm atmosphere Ideal for couples exploring the Sussex countryside and groups wanting a good spot for a gathering.Local markets - The old market town of Petworth with its independant boutiques, cafes and antique shops is great for local exploring.Sailing - The seaside towns of Bogner Regis and Worthing are great for maritime activities.Great walks - The walking trails of the South Downs are accessible directly from the property.Sights nearby - The impressive Petworth House is just five minutes away and well worth a visit.Recommended by - Sawdays
Crab and Lobster 4 rooms from £160Sidlesham, West Sussex
Contemporary waterside 16th Century Inn on the banks of Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve. Chic rooms ooze elegance and simple country charm. Enjoy a menu centered around locally landed fish and locally reared meats. A truly romantic escape in Dorset with views over the salt marshes.Foodies - Wonderfully falvoursome cuisine, with seafood from the local fisherman, meat from the local farms and honey from the neighbours!Country Escape - An ideal country escape, with plush rooms, mouthwatering cuisine, roaring fires in the cosy bar and plenty of local walking.Great walks - Burn off some calories between lunch and dinner with an afternoon stroll on West Wittering's pebbly beach.Birdwatching - Binoculars and a telescope are provided for spotting local birds and animals.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Swan Hotel, Arundel 14 rooms from £122Arundel, West Sussex
Charming local inn boasting a prime location within the charming market town of Arundel. Rooms are decorated in palettes of cream with thick woollen throws, period sash windows and large roll top baths. Downstairs there is a cosy pub with restaurant serving seasonal dishes. A charming stay.Local exploring - Right in the heart of Arundel you are walking distance from the Castle, Cathedral and riverGreat walks - Along the banks of the river to the local favourite, The Black RabbitSights nearby - Arundel Castle and Cathedral are must visitsSailing - A boat trip along the river Arun
Old House Inn 6 rooms from £110Copthorne, West Sussex
A former farm house turned gourmet pub this delightful property is just a short drive from Gatwick airport. Spacious rooms feature design quirks and modern bathrooms with a retro twist. Dining is beautifully presented - plus a Full English is included in the room rate.Foodies - AA Rosette awarded and a fine wine listSights nearby - The 16th century Wakehurst Place is just a short drive awayGreat walks - The South Downs has plenty of walking pathsFull of character
The Angel, West Sussex 15 rooms from £129Midhurst, West Sussex
Venerable Georgian coaching inn at the centre of lovely Midhurst. Recently refurbished white washed rooms with exposed beams and antique furniture. Some have spectacular views. Inventive cooking, private dining and lively bar. Dripping with history and well placed to explore the local area.Hideaway - A charming retreat, within easy reach of the South Downs, boasting beautiful antique furnishings and excellent cuisine.Sights nearby - Explore the nearby sights of Petworth House, Arundel Castle and Chichester.Great walks - Explore the miles of walking trials on the stunning South Downs.Traditional
The Horse Guards Inn 3 rooms from £85Petworth (West Sussex)
On the outskirts of a 700-acre Petworth House, this wonderful homely inn is worth a detour just to experience its charm. Friendly staff, delicious food and a cosy atmosphere make for a thoroughly enjoyable stay - for families, couples and lone escapees.Country Escape - Located within the picturesque grounds of Petworth Estate this is a true country getawaySights nearby - Visit the charming National Trust property of Petworth HouseGreat walks - The South Downs boasts plenty of walking pathsQuirky - An experience!Recommended by - Sawdays
Griffin Inn 13 rooms from £90Fletching, East Sussex
Very popular village gastropub with excellent food and 13 comfortable rooms, many with 4 posters, in picturesque Fletching, with fabulous views over the Ouse valley. Ideal for families.Restaurant - Recommended.Views - Lovely garden views over Sheffield ParkFull of character