Search the best hotels in Burford
Voted one of the most idyllic places in Europe by Forbes magazine, Burford is about as perfect as English villages get. Higgledy terraces rub shoulders with picture postcard cottages and handsome Georgian houses. Known as the gateway to the Cotswolds, the best places to stay in Burford are ideally situated to explore this quintessentially English part of the country.
Medieval church? Check. Millrace? Check. Air of cherished antiquity and established prosperity? Check, check, check. Plus, there are lovely shops for visitors to amble round as they enjoy the pretty surroundings.
For fishermen and women there is an Orvis shop. The artisan bakery and tea room, Huffkin's has tables where you can sit outside. There is a sewing shop, a shop selling fresh country style furnishing fabrics and a women's clothes shop whose clientele, it is safe to assume wouldn't be seen dead in a fleece.
A deli sells local produce and there is a gallery hawking, among other things, Europe's largest collection of modern and antique paperweights. Search in vain for a chippy or a launderette or a bookie.
There is only one problem with our list of the best places to stay in Burford - which mouthwatering place to try first!
What Not To Miss
- Minster Lovell Hall is a set of charming ruins dating back to the 15th-century and enjoying a picturesque setting by the River Windrush. Bring along a picnic and spend a relaxing afternoon at this tranquil spot.
- Stroll down the beautiful Burford High Street - you don't need to buy anything - it's one of the prettiest in the Cotswolds.
- Wander through the Cotswold Wildlife Park & Gardens (two miles to the south of Burford), home to more than 260 different species of animals in 160 acres of beautiful parkland! The UK's largest private zoological collection.
Just remember to book your hotel well ahead. All the best places to stay in Burford get exceptionally busy, and not just during the peak seasons!
Top Spots for local exploring
- Wonderfully picturesque, The Lamb Inn offers traditional accommodation with various antique furnishings. Head over to the historic city of Oxford, 20 minutes away, and marvel in the splendid architecture.
- Picturesque, traditional, small - the Bay Tree Hotel has every ingredient for a relaxing country retreat. It's most notable for the restaurant, however, which is consistently rated as one of the best eateries in the Cotswolds!
- The Feathered Nest north of Burford is a great place for foodies to stay with a fabulous 3 AA Rosettes gastropub. Bedrooms are cosy and the seats of the bar stools downstairs are antique saddles, whilst the property itself is set in lush gardens.
In And Around Burford
- You could swan in to the Swan Inn in next door Swinbrook, picturesque home to the Mitfords. The individually designed rooms are in a Cotswold barn and the food is good gastropub.
- Barnsley House on the Burford side of Cirencester, is the former home of renowned gardener Rosemary Verey so the garden is every bit as beautiful as the classic Cotswolds house. The decoration is light and modern with traditional accents and there is a lovely restaurant with a terrace, an outdoor swimming pool and a spa accessed via a garden path.
- The nearby King's Head at Bledington also has excellent food, a really snug bar, a stream with a bridge in the garden and cracking comfy rooms.
For A Cottage or an Apartment
- If you think you'd be best served by a self-catering option then check out the range of properties available at our online partner, booking.com.
- As with the rest of the UK, Burford's weather is extremely unpredictable. It's probably best to visit during the summer months (though Burford is a popular year round destination), with the average temperature in July and August approximately 21°C.
- If you're flying into the UK from elsewhere then Heathrow is about an hour's drive away. Alternatively, the nearest train stations are in Oxford (half an hour away) and Charlbury (twenty minutes away), both of which have buses and coaches heading to Burford.
- For car hire prices we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse our list of all the best places to stay in Burford and start to plan your visit.
- For our recommendations of places to stay in the wider Cotswolds, click here.
- Or, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Burford
Best Hotels in Burford
The Highway Inn Burford 10 rooms from £105Country Escape - A cosy pub located in an idyllic village within the Cotswold countryside.Great walks - Explore the picturesque villages and countryside of the Cotswold's on long rambles.Sights nearby - Visit the stately home Blenheim Palace, birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill.Full of character
An atmospheric Inn set in a bustling and picturesque Cotswold village. Simply designed rooms feature beamed ceilings, crisp white linen and antique furniture. The restaurant offers modern hearty pub food alongside a choice selection of ales, ideal after spending a day exploring the region. See More
King's Head Burford 11 rooms from £110Country Escape - A traditional inn - the inexpensive alternative to a country house hotel.Restaurant - Gastropub cooking with 2 AA RosettesGreat walks - Beautiful country walksQuirky - Full of junk shop findsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A cosy and characterful traditional English Inn. With simple, homely guest rooms and fine pub food - The King's Head offers guests are proper countryside getaway. Lovely scenic walks in the heart of the Cotswolds and outdoor activities available to those looking for something extra. See More
The Angel at Burford Burford 3 rooms from £120Foodies - It is not fine dining but for those looking for award-winning pub food —this fits the billSights nearby - Discover some of the Cotswold's prettiest villages including nearby BiburyGreat walks - Get out into the Cotswolds countryside and enjoy long scenic walksFull of character
A long-popular Cotswold pub with rooms set in the pretty town of Burford. Three charming rooms are traditionally styled with sleigh beds, vintage furniture, and exposed stone. Downstairs a lively pub serves award-winning pub fare and ales from a local brewery. A cosy base to explore from. See More
The Swan Inn, Burford Burford 11 rooms from £120Country Escape - A traditional English Inn in the heart of the Cotwolds.Traditional - Individually styled bedrooms in a classic yet contemporary style.Great walks - Explore the Cotsolwds - an area of natural beautyLocal markets - Daylesford Organic Farmshop and Spa.
Located in a pretty little village, seemingly lost in time - this riverside inn offers elegant boutique bedrooms, a fine seasonal British menu and charming riverside cottages. Chickens freely roaming the garden and Mitford memorabilia add a unique charm to this quaint Cotswold retreat. See More
The Lamb Inn, Burford Burford 17 rooms from £125Great walks - Combine a walk through this typical Cotswolds town with a traditional cream tea.Sights nearby - The university town of Oxford is 20 miles away and well worth a visit.Local markets - Good for local colour.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Recommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
This 18th century inn is more than just another Cotswolds B&B. Curl up with a book next to an open fire or explore the rose scented gardens. Rooms are spacious with antique oak furniture and colourful fabric. Bathrooms have original wood floors. An award winning restaurant serves seasonal cuisine. See More
Bay Tree Hotel Burford 21 rooms from £165Sights nearby - Blenheim Palace, home to the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough and birthplace of Winston Churchill is a must visitGreat walks - Walk the 'Cotswolds Way'Local markets - Good for local colour.Full of character
Winding your way along the Burford lanes, stumble across this 'chocolate box' property. Dating back to the 16th century it has traditional flagstone flooring, open fires and cosy rooms. The award winning restaurant serves lunch and dinner. A popular wedding venue and base to explore the Cotswolds. See More
The Feathered Nest Burford (Nether Westcote) 4 rooms from £180Restaurant - 3 AA Rosettes. AA Notable wine listViews - views over the Evenlode Valley.TraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays