27 of Manhattan's Best Hotels, New York
There’s more to New York than Manhattan, but if you’re visiting the city for the first time then this is where it's at! It’s home of many of New York’s most famous sites and sights (the list of highlights is endless) — it’s also home to THREE of the world’s ten most-visited tourist attractions: Times Square, Central Park and Grand Central Station. Our pick of the best hotels in Manhattan covers the whole range for every taste and budget. We've discovered some romantic, boutique gems, some Grandes Dames that even if you don't stay in, you should pop into for a drink and some centrally located properties that will suit those on the tightest of budgets! Consult our pick of the hotels and start planning your visit to the Big Apple.
Classic Manhattan Hotels
- The Hotel Elysee once hosted Manhattan’s literary elite — most famously Tennessee Williams, who spent his final years living here. It’s classy, elegant and intimate. The suites feature French style furnishings with rich fabrics and the Monkey Bar has become one of Midtown's most iconic and hip bars.
- The Algonquin Hotel opened its doors in 1902 and has been doing a roaring trade ever since, probably helped along by the fact that Dorothy Parker and the Algonquin Round Table (otherwise known as the ‘vicious circle’) would meet everyday for lunch throughout the 1920s. The decor embodies old world charm, but doesn't skimp on the contemporary comforts we all require.
For a room with a view
- The Carlyle Hotel is a timeless, classic, luxurious, Upper East Side landmark hotel with 190 rooms and opulent suites — the best with stunning views of Central Park.
- The SoHo Grand Hotel is in lively, fashionable SoHo, and is a sumptuous, elegantly designed 353 room hotel. Perfect for your average ultra-chic New Yorker, with the original artworks, the stylish bar, sophisticated club and acclaimed restaurant. For a really good view make sure you book a room on a higher floor, or spoil yourself with a Terrace Suite or Loft Penthouse.
For a city break
- The Archer New York is about a mile from Times Square, however it is close to the Garment District, Grand Central Station and the Empire State Building. The feel is quite quirky, blending downtown-style brick walls and industrial spaces with uptown decorative influences. Plus, the rooftop bar, Spyglass offers irresistible skyline views.
- The Bryant Park Hotel is a black and gold, Gothic landmark overlooking Bryant Park in the heart of Midtown. The 128 rooms are light and minimal feeling, but with bathtubs and city views. The KOI sushi restaurant is popular with locals and the bar makes a lively start to the night.
- The Hotel Giraffe is an elegant boutique hotel known for its excellent service, and spacious rooms. It's located in the NoMad neighbourhood, so a short walk from many of the city's highlights and close to lots of excellent bars and restaurants.
- The Library Hotel is a book-lover's paradise between Grand Central and Bryant Park. As well as the literary themed rooms and writer's den, there’s also a rooftop bar and a poetry garden - which has excellent cocktails and city views. Romantics should book the "Love Room" with its private terrace and art and books themed on the Philosophy of Love.
- The Whitby is part of the Firmdale collection and it doesn't disappoint. Its beautifully designed rooms ooze with style and class. There’s also a chic bar, an excellent restaurant and a cinema!
- The Marlton in Greenwich Village has plenty of style and atmosphere, plus marble bathrooms, parquet floors, oak panelled walls and brass fixtures. It also has a cocktail bar, a very nice French restaurant, and an espresso bar!
- The Crosby Street Hotel is an achingly cool, 86 room SoHo hotel loved by celebrities and design addicts for it’s chic Kit Kemp interiors. You can expect original art on the walls and an impressive list of celebrity guests. Yet the hotel is on quite a quiet street, and the main event of most rooms are the floor-to-ceiling views of Manhattan’s skyline.
- Called The Greenwich, yet in the TriBecCa neighbourhood, this luxury 5 star hotel boasts a fantastic bar and restaurant plus a Shibui Spa and indoor pool. Perfect for Manhattan’s nightlife, and daylife too.
Manhattan’s Hippest Hotels
- The Mercer is an iconic New York hotel offering the ultimate in SoHo chic. Book this place if you want a flavour of New York loft-style living, surrounded by artistic cool and modernist designs.
- The Freehand hotel is hip, affordable and central — it’s close to Gramercy Park. The interiors are bold and interesting, with walls covered in murals painted by local artists. It also has three restaurants, two bars and a 24hour gym.
For a Design Hotel
- The Refinery Hotel is not a luxury hotel converted from an oil refinery, but a hat factory. The 197 plush rooms have high ceilings, hardwood floors, contemporary artworks and some offer views of the Empire State Building. The industrial conversion vibe is mixed with suave contemporary flare to great effect.
- Right on Canal Street, on the edge SoHo and Chinatown, 11 Howard is another super chic Scandi-style design hotel. The floors are oak, the ceilings high, and the art is original and contemporary.
- The Hotel 50 Bowery is new and chic, with the latest in design taste — think exposed brick and brushed concrete walls, fantastic hanging lights and trendy colours. There are also Chinatown inspired splashes of red and lantern-esque lights. The views are excellent, from both the 229 rooms and suites and from the incredible rooftop bar.
For Central Park
- The Lowell is a charming Upper East Side Hotel, just a block to the east of Central Park. The decor is very classic; think marble bathrooms, neutral tones, elegant furnishings and art and even proper wood-burning fireplaces. The location is residential, a quiet, tree-lined street off Madison Avenue, and the overall feel is of staying in a gorgeous, 70 room townhouse.
For Uptown Manhattan
- The Mark is right in the heart of the Upper East Side, and offers old fashioned elegance, despite a recent refurbishment by French designer Jacques Grange, who put in a fantastic, Esher-esque restaurant which has become extremely popular with celebrities and New York royalty.
For Midtown Manhattan
- Hotel Hugo is a retro delight, with 122 rooms designed by architect Marcello Pozzi and decorated with custom-made Italian furnishings. You’re on the edge of SoHo with views of the Hudson River and the skyline of Downtown Manhattan, which you can really enjoy from the double storey rooftop bar.
- The Roger is a stylish, 194 room hotel on Madison Avenue. Many rooms have views of the Empire State Building (some from their private terraces), and all are cool, colourful and bright.
For Downtown Manhattan
- The Ludlow is a stylish hotel with a touch of the avant garde, located in the trendy Lower East Side. There are 184 rooms and suites, many with large casement windows, Moroccan lamps, vintage details and handmade silk rugs. There’s a French bistro and a cool garden bar.
- The Beekman has a jazz-age style to it, with simple, elegant design and an atmospheric cocktail bar. The downtown location is excellent too.
- Wall Street adjacent, Gild Hall, A Thompson Hotel is both totally charming and great value. The 126 rooms are decorated with strong, dark colours, leaving the communal areas to really style it up in the split-level library and the rustic-glam bar and restaurant.
Manhattan’s Best Value Hotels
- CitizenM New York is another in that set of innovative, modern, no-frills-hotels-with-funky-design. It’s about one minute from Times Square, has wall-to-wall windows and a panoramic rooftop bar.
- Room Mate Grace is a funky and lively hotel just minutes from Times Square with surprisingly great spa facilities, a colourfully illuminated indoor pool with underwater music and a swim-up bar.
- Vibrant and friendly, the Casablanca Hotel is one of the best places to stay if you want to be right in the heart of things. The decor is Moroccan, with beautiful mosaics, tapestries and paintings, impressive rugs and even ornate ceiling fans. These unique, careful touches, and the fact that it's incredibly well priced for the location, means that the 48 rooms are often booked solid with repeat guests.
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include our list of the best places to stay in New York
- Check out our recommendations for 7 of the Best Midtown Manhattan Hotels, the best New York hotels with pools, 5 of the Best Uptown Manhattan Hotels, 4 of the Best Hotels for Wall Street and the Financial District or 12 of Times Square’s Best Hotels
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Elysee New York 100 rooms from £166Great walks - Central Park is under ten minutes from the hotel with plenty of trails for walking, running and cycling.Views - Great views from hotelRestaurant - Recommended.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Frommers
The Elysee, formerly a host to Manhattan's literary elite, has retained its iconic old world charm. The suites feature French style furnishings, rich fabrics and plush carpets. The Monkey Bar has become one of Midtown's most iconic and hip bars. Classy, elegant and intimate. See More
The Algonquin Hotel New York 156 rooms from £333Sights nearby - This downtown hotel is just seven minute walk from Times Square and ten from the Rockefeller Center.Literary - A well-known literary history.Historic - Oldest-running hotel in NYC.Business Hotel
The Carlyle Hotel New York (Upper East Side) 190 rooms from £1171Romantic Break - Romantic suites, chic in house restaurants and bars and proximity to Central Park make this a perfect getaway for two.Great walks - Discover the enchantment of Central Park, a mere stroll away, offering an oasis of green amidst the city bustleHotel Entertainment - Swing to jazz at Bemelmans Bar, a gem for an iconic New York stay with whimsical murals and classic cocktailsOther Activities - Immerse in Café Carlyle's cabaret, a blend of history and modern talent, under music-themed murals
This iconic 5* hotel boasts a legacy of unmatched sophistication and privacy in the heart of Manhattan's Upper East Side. Art Deco elegance with a modern flair- reminiscent of New York's golden era. Highlights include the storied Bemelmans Bar & Café Carlyle. Classic New York luxury, See More
Archer New York New York 180 rooms from £148Local exploring - Just over a mile from Times Square, 5 minutes from Bryant Park and close to popular shops such as Tiffany & Co, Prada and Apple.City Style - Glamorous 22-story hotel in the heart of the Garment District with quirky, curated luxuries and decoration.Restaurant - David Burke's fabrick serves modern American cuisine for the guests in an open, modern dining room.Views - The bar on the 21st floor has fantastic views of the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings.Recommended by - Tablet
Quirky hotel blending downtown-style brick walls and industrial spaces with uptown decorative influences, located in the Garment District just a mile from Times Square. The modern rooms are chic and delicately decorated, and the rooftop bar, Spyglass offers irresistible panoramic views. See More
Hotel 50 Bowery New York (NY) 229 rooms from £318Local exploring - Nestled into New York's Chinatown, with interiors that give nod to their surrondings- the ideal spot for an Eastern adventureCity Style - A trendy and uber chic hotel offering a rooftop bar with fabulous views of the Manhattan skylineSights nearby - You are right on the edge of Chinatown and a short hop to Brooklyn so get out and explore all the area has to offer!Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
A hip new addition to the hotel scene on the Lower East Side. Interiors are on point, with exposed brick walls, hanging Edison light bulbs, Chinatown inspired slashes of red and lantern style lamps. The views are remarkable- from the fantastic rooftop bar as well as from the chic suites and rooms. See More
11 Howard New York (NY) 213 rooms from £421City Style - A super stylish hotel focused on clever Scandinavian design and original artworks, right in the heart of SoHoSights nearby - You are right in the heart of this historic district of SoHo, iconic for its cobblestone streets and cast-iron buildingsRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Design Hotels, Tablet
Refinery Hotel New York 197 rooms from £324City Style - A fashionable hotel in the heart of the Garment District- boasting a jazz bar, buzzy restaurant and chic interiorsGreat walks - You are just moments from the lovely Bryant ParkRomantic - Good for couples.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
A fabulous luxury hotel in a former hat factory, in New York's Garment District. Plush rooms boast high ceilings, hardwood floors, contemporary artworks and some offer views of the Empire State Building. The industrial conversion vibe is mixed with a suave contemporary flare to great effect. See More
The Whitby New York 86 rooms from £621Local exploring - Perfectly positioned just two blocks from Central Park and with easy access to many restaurants, galleries and bars.City Style - An uber chic property designed by the renowned hotelier Kit Kemp.Great walks - Take a stroll around Central Park.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Design Hotels, Tablet
One of the newest additions in husband and wife duo Tim and Kit Kemp's portfolio and it doesn't disappoint. Beautifully designed rooms makes traditional style contemporary. The best rooms boast large terraces. Complete with chic bar, excellent restaurant and a cinema this is hotel perfection. See More
Lowell Hotel New York 74 rooms from £527City Style - Sleek accommodations in the heart of the cityGreat walks - Just one block from Central ParkTraditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
A finely crafted and charmingly intimate Upper East Side hotel, one block from Central Park. Classically decorated - marble bathrooms, neutral tones, paintings, and elegant furnishings. Some rooms have real wood burning fireplaces. A luxurious destination, reminiscent of a private townhouse. See More
The Ludlow New York (Lower East Side) 184 rooms from £266Local exploring - The Lower East Side neighbourhood of Manhattan is the perfect choice for anyone interested in nightlife and restaurants.Foodies - Dirty French is a recent offering from the Major Food Group, and promises an exciting twist on classic French cuisine.City Style - Close to the shopping in SoHo and the landmark Brooklyn Bridge, and offering spectacular views of the iconic skyline.Restaurant - Gallic bistro the Dirty French, furnished with vintage decoration to channel French chic style.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Stylish hotel with a touch of the avant garde in the trendy Lower East Side. Large casement windows flood natural light into the rooms furnished with vintage items such as handmade silk rugs and Moroccan lamps. It also features a trellised garden bar, cosy lounge and authentic French bistro. See More
Gild Hall, A Thompson Hotel New York (Wall Street- Financial District) 126 rooms from £140City Style - This stylish hotel has a fantastic wine selection at La Soffitta, authentic Italian cuisine, and a split level library.Local exploring - Located on historic Gold Street in the Financial District, a few hundred yards from Wall Street.Restaurant - Tuscan-inspired Felice Ristorante serves authentic Italian cuisine over 2 levels, adorned with vintage photos of 1960s Italy.Outstanding location
Characterful hotel with a fantastic location next to Wall Street. The rooms are decorated with strong, dark and stylish features that complement the sleek aesthetic in the communal areas - such as the sophisticated split-level library, rustic-glam bar and restaurant - adding to the air of luxury. See More
Library Hotel, New York New York 60 rooms from £181Theme hotel - Floors are themed around a category of the Dewey Decimal systemWriting a novel - A literary-themed hotel with library and poetry gardenLiterary - The free public library is within walking distanceCity Style - Contemporary comfort in the heart of the cityRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
A book-lovers' paradise between Grand Central and Bryant Park. Literary themed rooms and writer's den. The rooftop bar and poetry garden offer excellent cocktails and city views. Complimentary continental breakfast is served in the Reading Room. A truly unique place to absorb art and culture. See More
Room Mate Grace New York 139 rooms from £85Local exploring - Minutes from Times Square, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Centre and the Museum of Modern Art, as well as great brand shops.City Style - 1970s inspired hotel minutes from Times Square with an indoor pool and bar, and brightly coloured retro rooms.Swimming Pool - A large, funky indoor pool with colourful light shows, underwater music, a swim-up bar and groovy seating area.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape
Funky and lively hotel just minutes from Times Square with a colourfully illuminated indoor pool with underwater music and a swim-up bar. The modest, modern rooms are brought to life by vibrant Jonathan Adler wallpaper, and great spa facilities are available (sauna, steam room, gym, pool, massages). See More
The Beekman New York 287 rooms from £449City Style - Right in the heart of Manhattan, near the World Trade Centre.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the sights and sounds of New York.Local markets - Browse the frenzy of the South Street Seaport market.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Ground Zero.
Stellar hotel with a definitively jazz age feel in the heart of Manhattan. Rooms are swish and elegant with simple designs and comfortable furniture. Enjoy a cocktail in the atmospheric bar that evokes a Gatsby-esque atmosphere with it's booth bar and chandeliers. A five-star downtown option. See More
Hotel Giraffe New York 72 rooms from £196Roof terrace - Rooftop restaurant.Sights nearby - The Empire State Building is only eight blocks away, and commands views of the whole of New York.Great walks - Explore this hip area on foot, there is no better way to take in the sights!Views - Great views from hotel
Luxurious boutique hotel with outstanding service. Rooms in neutral tones ooze understated elegance - chocolate leather headboards and pearlized platinum walls. Complimentary breakfasts and complimentary wine and cheese every evening except Sunday. A hotel with sophistication and urban style. See More
The Mark, New York New York (Upper East Side) 152 rooms from £699City Style - Upper East Side glamour in all its old-moneyed glory with a clean cut and suave injection of style from designer Jacques Grange.Foodies - The phenomenal Jean Georges heads the kitchen here, be prepared for some of the best food in NY- and that's saying something!Great walks - New York was made for walking, this hotels central location makes it ideal for exploring on foot.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
An old favourite with spectacular neo-deco Jacques Granges interiors. Right in the heart of Upper East Side, old style elegance meets modern chic. The award-winning restaurant is reason enough to visit. A super stylish way to experience New York. Popular with celebs and New York royalty! See More
Freehand, New York New York 395 rooms from £187Groups - With triple and quadruple rooms this is the ideal hotel for thos travelling as a groupValue chic - A trendy and fun hotel in an unbeatable location, without the killer pricetagGreat walks - Explore the area on foot and end up soaking up some fresh air in Madison Square ParkFull of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
The Mercer New York 75 rooms from £542Families - Interconnecting family suites and babysitting services.Outstanding location - Located in bustling downtown Soho.Local markets - Walk to the south-east of the hotel and you'll stumble across Little Italy and Chinatown, both well worth a visit.Restaurant - Modern Italian fine dining at Sartiano'sRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
The Marlton New York (Greenwich Village) 107 rooms from £147City Style - A cocktail bar, an espresso bar, and the Margaux all in a restored historic building, previously frequented by great names.Local exploring - Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, a lively area with plenty to do and see.Restaurant - The atmospheric Margaux serves a rich variety of dishes, inspired by French, Mediterranean and Californian cuisine.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Tablet
Atmospheric hotel with 'chic petite' rooms all featuring parquet floors, brass fixtures and marble bathrooms, located in the heart of Greenwich Village. Rich oak-panelled walls and elaborately furnished dining rooms and bars all contribute to its warm, romantic and characterful aesthetic. See More
Hotel Hugo New York (Soho) 122 rooms from £180Local exploring - Times Square, Central Park and Broadway are all only a few miles away and the Hudson is even closer: perfect for local exploringCity Style - Located in SoHo, NYC's downtown shopping district with plenty of designer brands, and 2.4 miles from Times Square.Views - Deluxe rooms on the West side of the buiding have brilliant views of the Hudson River, as does the roof terrace.Restaurant - Authentic Italian with private dining beside a vertical garden. Azul with 360-degree rooftop views & Cuban cantina vibe.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Retro hotel decorated with custom-made Italian furnishings, designed by renowned architect Marcello Pozzi, located on the edge of the bustling shopping district of Soho. Brilliant views of the Hudson river and downtown skyline & a double-level rooftop bar. Stylish, sophisticated and spacious rooms. See More
SoHo Grand Hotel New York 355 rooms from £300Sights nearby - Central location means sights of New York are on your doorstepDesigner - Interior designs by celebrated interior designer Bill SofieldRestaurant - Recommended.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
The Roger New York 194 rooms from £159Foodies - On the edge of Madison Square Park and the Flatiron District, which feature plenty of high-end restaurants and stylish bars.Local exploring - A little off the beaten track but well connected to the major tourist sites and buzzing with local offerings.Views - Some rooms with terraces have breath-taking views across Manhattan.City Style - A landmark location on Manhattan's Madison Avenue.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Stylish, recently renovated hotel with contemporary and elegant designer furnishings & a fantastic location on Madison Ave. Many rooms have stunning views of the Empire State Building and private furnished terraces. Colourful, bright, and buzzy this hotel is perfect for a cool city break. See More
Crosby Street Hotel New York 86 rooms from £464Local exploring - Some of New York's best shopping, bars, cafes, restaurants and galleries are right on your doorstepSitting Room - Residents only drawing room with honesty barSights nearby - A walk south-east of the hotel takes you to Little Italy.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Fodors
This achingly chic hotel in Manhattan’s SoHo district attracts celebrities and design addicts alike with its cool interiors by Kit Kemp. Despite the enviable location, it’s on a quiet street so you can leave the city chaos behind. Service is impeccable while still being relaxed. See More
The Greenwich New York State 88 rooms from £644Sights nearby - Hop on the metro at Franklin Street and explore the city at ease.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.SpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Tribeca neighborhood is prime location for foodies, local explorers and relaxing in-house at the Shibui Spa and indoor pool. Modern rooms with all mod-cons. Enjoy casual Italian dining at Locanda Verde, or in the courtyard with the great bar. Perfect location for nightlife and New York! See More
Casablanca Hotel New York 48 rooms from £186Sights nearby - Located just a few steps from Times Square and Rockefeller Center.Great walks - Bryant Park is just a seven minute walk away from the hotel.Romantic - Good for couples.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers