The Best Midtown Manhattan Hotels, New York
The world's most vibrant and exciting city, 'the city that never sleeps’, New York has become popular as a short-break destination. And Manhattan’s Midtown is a great place to stay. Not only is it in the centre of things, but it’s also home to the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, MOMA, Broadway and Times Square. There are a lot of hotels here, but our Guru’s have saved you the trouble of trawling though them by creating a list of the best Midtown Manhattan Hotels.
Midtown stretches south from 59th Street, but its southerly border isn’t universally agreed, and could be anywhere from 34th Street to 14th Street. However all our Guru’s recommendations for the best Midtown Manhattan hotels are above 34th Street, so you’ll be well within the boundaries whichever of our best Midtown Manhattan hotels you choose.
For Classic New York Style
- The Algonquin Hotel is a New York icon that's hosted the world’s cultural and artistic elite on their visits to Manhattan. Opened in 1902, this is one of New York’s most historic and beautiful hotels. It was here where Dorothy Parker and the Algonquin Round Table (otherwise known as the ‘vicious circle’) would meet everyday for lunch throughout the 1920s. Recently renovated and reopened in 2004, the Algonquin retains the rich aura of its past within an understated modern feel. Look out for the hotel cat, Matilda.
For a City Break
- The Hotel Elysee is an elegant and intimate old hotel, formerly the host to Manhattan’s literary elite, with the stylish Monkey Bar, one of Midtown's most iconic and hip bars, and surrounded by decent restaurants. The suites feature French style furnishings, rich fabrics and plush carpets. It's classy, elegant and intimate.
The Most Romantic Midtown Hotels
- The Casablanca Hotel has uniquely Moroccan decor and an enviable location just steps from Times Square. The funky Moroccan themed rooms and opulent old school bars featuring live piano sets, will transport you to another time, and it's a warm and welcoming spot in an enviable location - perfect for a charming city stay.
- Or there’s the Library Hotel, a peaceful spot with a literary theme, obviously, with themed rooms, a poetry garden and a writer’s den.
For a stylish stay
- The Hotel Giraffe is a stylish boutique hotel which offers complimentary breakfasts and complementary cheese and wine six evenings a week.
If you haven’t spotted your idea of the best midtown Manhattan hotels on our Guru’s list of 7 you could:
- Expand your search to include our Guru's recommendations for 40 of the Best Hotels in Manhattan? or 5 of the Best Uptown Manhattan Hotel?
- Or our Guru’s list of 10 of the Best Hotels in Downtown Manhattan?
- Or you could expand your search and consider all the hotels on our Guru’s list of the best places to stay in New York?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Algonquin Hotel New York 156 rooms from £333Sights nearby - This downtown hotel is just seven minute walk from Times Square and ten from the Rockefeller Center.Literary - A well-known literary history.Historic - Oldest-running hotel in NYC.Business Hotel
Casablanca Hotel New York 48 rooms from £186Sights nearby - Located just a few steps from Times Square and Rockefeller Center.Great walks - Bryant Park is just a seven minute walk away from the hotel.Romantic - Good for couples.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Hotel Elysee New York 100 rooms from £166Great walks - Central Park is under ten minutes from the hotel with plenty of trails for walking, running and cycling.Lively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers
The Elysee, formerly a host to Manhattan's literary elite, has retained its iconic old world charm. The suites feature French style furnishings, rich fabrics and plush carpets. The Monkey Bar has become one of Midtown's most iconic and hip bars. Classy, elegant and intimate. See More
Hotel Giraffe New York 72 rooms from £196Roof terrace - Rooftop restaurant.Sights nearby - The Empire State Building is only eight blocks away, and commands views of the whole of New York.Great walks - Explore this hip area on foot, there is no better way to take in the sights!Full of character
Luxurious boutique hotel with outstanding service. Rooms in neutral tones ooze understated elegance - chocolate leather headboards and pearlized platinum walls. Complimentary breakfasts and complimentary wine and cheese every evening except Sunday. A hotel with sophistication and urban style. See More
Library Hotel, New York New York 60 rooms from £181Theme hotel - Floors are themed around a category of the Dewey Decimal systemWriting a novel - A literary-themed hotel with library and poetry gardenLiterary - The free public library is within walking distanceCity Style - Contemporary comfort in the heart of the cityRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
A book-lovers' paradise between Grand Central and Bryant Park. Literary themed rooms and writer's den. The rooftop bar and poetry garden offer excellent cocktails and city views. Complimentary continental breakfast is served in the Reading Room. A truly unique place to absorb art and culture. See More