The 20 Best Midtown Manhattan Hotels
The world's most vibrant and exciting city, 'the city that never sleeps’, New York has become popular as a short-break destination. And Manhattan’s Midtown is a great place to stay. Not only is it in the centre of things, but it’s also home to the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, MoMA, Broadway and Times Square. There are a lot of hotels here, but our Guru’s have saved you the trouble of trawling though them by creating a list of the best Midtown Manhattan Hotels. There are hotels which offer unbeatable luxury, some classic options, and those whose USP is more on the design side. But we've also found some properties which won't break the bank and others that are perfect for a family break. So use this guide and get planning your trip!
For the Scrapbook
- The Baccarat Hotel is a deliberately swanky pick just off Fifth Avenue, close to MoMA and the Rockerfeller Center. The Baccarat’s decor is fancy, with oversized chandeliers and plenty of glass cases, white leather and red velvet, but it feels super stylish with it. The 114 rooms and suites are decorated in white, with clean lines, elegant details and indulgent marble bathrooms. The restaurant is fine dining, the cocktail bar hip and there’s an impressive pool and spa.
For Classic New York Style
- The Algonquin Hotel is a New York icon that's hosted the world’s cultural and artistic elite on their visits to Manhattan. Opened in 1902, this is one of New York’s most historic and beautiful hotels. It was here where Dorothy Parker and the Algonquin Round Table (otherwise known as the ‘vicious circle’) would meet everyday for lunch throughout the 1920s. Recently renovated and reopened in 2004, the Algonquin retains the rich aura of its past within an understated modern feel.
- The Lotte New York Palace is a gilded-age institution, with a contemporary tower extension. So you can reference your style preferences within the one super-central landmark hotel. There are now 909 rooms and suites, with impressive facilities to serve that many guests, including a library, a spa and gym, lounges, terraces and and historic New York dining institution for a restaurant.
For New York Views
- New York EDITION occupies many stories of an historic clock tower opposite Madison Square Park, with many rooms offering expansive city views. The hotel also offers chic, contemporary minimal design in 257 spacious rooms and suites, but wonderfully old fashioned glamour in the lively cocktail bar and Michelin-starred restaurant. There’s a gym and sanctuary of a spa too.
- The Langham New York on Fifth Avenue is elegant and luxurious, with 234 rooms and suites and an impressive array of art, and facilities. In addition to original art in the rooms, they have spacious marble bathrooms and incredible city views — the deluxe rooms and suites have private balconies, and the largest have between one and four bedrooms. There’s also a gym, spa, cocktail bar, and a Riviera inspired restaurant.
For Seeing the Sights
- Ink48 is a chic, contemporary hotel in Hell’s Kitchen, overlooking Manhattan on one side and the Hudson River on the other. There are 22 rooms and suites in a range of shapes and sizes, but they’re all decorated with a sense of space and peace in mind, with lots of light and black and white photos on the walls. The roof terrace cocktail bar is really something, and the farm-to-fork restaurant is both stylish and popular.
- The Hotel 48Lex is a smart hotel that’s doing everything right: think floor-to-ceiling windows with incredible city views, stylish, contemporary decor that feels fresh yet timeless, a restaurant serving organic farm-fresh produce, and a bar known for its chic cocktails. And a 24 hour gym.
For a City Break
- Big, chic and friendly, the Moxy NYC Times Square is in an enviable spot steps from Times Square. There are 612 rooms and suites, the majority of which are compact, but well designed, and with fantastic city views. The rooftop bar, Magic Hour, is the largest indoor/outdoor rooftop bar in New York, and it’s open all year round — it even has its own mini-amusement park!
- The Hotel Elysee is an elegant and intimate old hotel, formerly the host to Manhattan’s literary elite, with the stylish Monkey Bar, one of Midtown's most iconic and hip bars, and surrounded by decent restaurants. The suites feature French style furnishings, rich fabrics and plush carpets. It's classy, elegant and intimate.
- Just steps from Times Square and the theatre district, The Time New York is a seriously stylish and surprisingly spacious hotel with 193 rooms and suites. The decor is varied, but within the range of industrial chic, there are plenty of memorable pieces of art and furniture, and there’s a chic lounge and bar.
- The Hotel Giraffe is a stylish boutique hotel which offers complimentary breakfasts and complimentary cheese and wine six evenings a week.
- Built in 1905, The Chatwal on 44th Street is a grand hotel of that era, with incredible original Art Deco details in the lobby, bar and restaurant, and 76 stylishly contemporary rooms and suites. A personalised butler service comes as standard, which may date for the earliest service standards, and The Lambs Club restaurant has become an historic and well regarded culinary landmark.
- The Casablanca Hotel has uniquely Moroccan-style decor and an enviable location just steps from Times Square. The funky themed rooms and opulent old school bars featuring live piano sets, will transport you to another time; it's a warm and welcoming spot in an enviable location — perfect for a charming city stay.
- Or there’s the Library Hotel, a peaceful spot with a literary theme, obviously, with themed rooms, a poetry garden and a writer’s den.
For Design Chic
- Converted from a former hat factory, the Refinery Hotel is beautiful, with just the right about of quirk and reference to the building’s heritage to make it memorable, without impeding the feeling of contemporary spaciousness. The 197 rooms and suites have wooden floors and high ceilings, contemporary art and the odd impressive antique. The prohibition-style jazz bar is super cool and lots of fun, and the rooftop bar, from which you can see the Empire State Building, is relaxed and stylish.
- The Marmara Park Avenue is an elegant hotel, with a beautiful Art eco entrance and lobby and 128 well laid out rooms and suites. The suites have kitchenettes, making this an excellent choice for families or those planning a longer stay. 40 of the suites have a private terrace. The decor feels luxurious but unfussy, with high ceilings, hardwood floors, marble bathrooms and quality fabrics.
- The William is a collection of just 32 rooms and suites in the heart of Bryant Park. Though the hotel is small by New York standards, the suite are spacious, and decorated in vibrant monochrome colour schemes. You can self cater if you want, but there’s also an American/British restaurant, and a speakeasy style cocktail lounge.
For Something Different
- If you’re looking to leave New York changed for the better you could help yourself out by staying at the Equinox Hotel, which is geared up to leave you feeling fitter and better when you hand over your room key. There are both indoor and outdoor pools, a spa is aimed to recuperate you, and they offer personalised fitness plans and a healthy menu in the chic restaurant.
For Great Value
- Located just behind Madison Square Garden in hip NoMad, the Evelyn Hotel is chic, and surprisingly affordable with it. There are 160 rooms and suites in a range of shapes and sizes, but all decorated with a Neo Deco vibe that really complements the original Art Deco features of the lobby, lounge and restaurant.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could expand your search to include our Guru's recommendations for all the best places to stay in New York
- Or consider our Guru's picks for Best Hotels in Manhattan, the Best Uptown Manhattan Hotels or our Guru’s list of the Best Hotels in Downtown Manhattan
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Algonquin Hotel New York 156 rooms from £333Sights nearby - This downtown hotel is just seven minute walk from Times Square and ten from the Rockefeller Center.Literary - A well-known literary history.Historic - Oldest-running hotel in NYC.Business Hotel
Casablanca Hotel New York 48 rooms from £186Sights nearby - Located just a few steps from Times Square and Rockefeller Center.Great walks - Bryant Park is just a seven minute walk away from the hotel.Romantic - Good for couples.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Hotel Elysee New York 100 rooms from £166Great walks - Central Park is under ten minutes from the hotel with plenty of trails for walking, running and cycling.Lively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers
The Elysee, formerly a host to Manhattan's literary elite, has retained its iconic old world charm. The suites feature French style furnishings, rich fabrics and plush carpets. The Monkey Bar has become one of Midtown's most iconic and hip bars. Classy, elegant and intimate. See More
Hotel Giraffe New York 72 rooms from £196Roof terrace - Rooftop restaurant.Sights nearby - The Empire State Building is only eight blocks away, and commands views of the whole of New York.Great walks - Explore this hip area on foot, there is no better way to take in the sights!Full of character
Luxurious boutique hotel with outstanding service. Rooms in neutral tones ooze understated elegance - chocolate leather headboards and pearlized platinum walls. Complimentary breakfasts and complimentary wine and cheese every evening except Sunday. A hotel with sophistication and urban style. See More
Library Hotel, New York New York 60 rooms from £181Theme hotel - Floors are themed around a category of the Dewey Decimal systemWriting a novel - A literary-themed hotel with library and poetry gardenLiterary - The free public library is within walking distanceCity Style - Contemporary comfort in the heart of the cityRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
A book-lovers' paradise between Grand Central and Bryant Park. Literary themed rooms and writer's den. The rooftop bar and poetry garden offer excellent cocktails and city views. Complimentary continental breakfast is served in the Reading Room. A truly unique place to absorb art and culture. See More
The New York EDITION New York 257 rooms from £357Local exploring - Discover Union Square and Greenwich Village to the south, Chelsea to the west, NOMad to the north and Gramercy Park to the eastFoodies - Jason Atherton's Michelin starred Clocktower Restaurant should not be missedSpa - Set on the 39th floor of The New York EDITION, a serene sanctuary with various treatments, therapies and massages offeredSights nearby - Close by are Union Square, the Empire State Building, Grand Central Terminal and The Morgan Library & Museum
An upscale hotel, set in a historic clocktower, near Madison Square Park. Luxurious rooms and suites feature fur throws, sweeping vistas of the Manhattan skyline and large bathrooms with rainfall showers. More of an adult-vibe offering a tranquil spa, cocktail bar and a Michelin-star restaurant. See More
Evelyn Hotel New York 160 rooms from £105Foodies - Benno, the hotel's Michelin star restaurant, offers a distinct fine-dining experience featuring coastal Mediterranean cuisineLocal exploring - From uptown to downtown, east side to west, The Evelyn Hotel is situated conveniently to all of Manhattan's destinationsValue chic - Really affordable prices, especially for this area of ManhattanRestaurant - Three dining options with a casual Roman-inspired bakery, café and trattoria, as well as, a fine-dining Mediterranean restaurant
An affordable art-deco hotel set just north of Madison Square Garden in trendy NoMad. Stylish and sophisticated rooms have vintage touches, antique furnishings and marble bathrooms with heated floors. Michelin starred Benno restaurant is unmissable and there's Leonelli's for a cocktail or two. See More
The Marmara Park Avenue New York State 128 rooms from £234Local exploring - Ideal for sightseeing – just 7 minutes’ walk from the Empire State BuildingCity Style - Magnificent hotel with all the sophistication you'd expect in New YorkFamilies - Rooms with kitchenettes are perfect for familiesWeddings - Chic and elegant venue for weddingsRecommended by - Tablet
Supremely elegant 5* boasting magnificent Art Deco entrance and lobby. Expect luxurious fabrics - velvets, leather and silks - high ceilings, hardwood floors and marble bathrooms. Find complimentary iPads in all rooms and the suites with kitchenettes are perfect for families or long stays. See More
The Langham New York New York 234 rooms from £404Local exploring - Close to Bryant Park and the Empire State Building, discover a metropolitan style that embodies the dynamic spirit of the cityCity Style - Nestled in the city’s most coveted district, Midtown Manhattan, a limestone tower that soars 60 stories into the skySights nearby - The famous Times Square is only a 15 minute walk away and the Empire State Building is just around the cornerRestaurant - Chic settings, inspired menus showcasing a celebration of the French and Italian Riviera
An opulent 5* hotel situated on the iconic 5th Avenue. Luxurious contemporary rooms have indulgent amenities, original artworks, large marble-clad bathrooms with rainfall showers and sweeping views of the Manhattan skyline. Taste Riviera-inspired cuisine and sip artisan cocktails at the lounge. See More
The William Vale New York (Brooklyn) 183 rooms from £211City Style - This hip new hotel offers wonderful views of the NYC skyline, killer food, funky futuristic interiors and private balconiesHotel Entertainment - The hotel boasts New York's largest outdoor pool, a massive 5,000 square-foot number surrounded by a pool deck and loungersRomantic - Good for couples.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A trendy new hotel in Brooklyn's uber cool Williamsburg neighbourhood. The ultra modern building is matched by sleek futuristic interiors, floor to ceiling windows and white on white tones. The food is curated by two of the city's top chefs and the rooftop draws a crowd on a Saturday night. See More
Ink48 Hotel New York 222 rooms from £181Local exploring - Ink 48 Hotel is just steps from some of the world’s most famed theatrical attractions, shopping meccas and cultural experiencesGreat walks - Stroll along the High Line: rail tracks turned garden with cultural experiences dotted along the wayRestaurant - PRINT serves dynamic farm-to table fare that’s a favourite of locals and travellers alikeSights nearby - Visit Hudson Yards, a cultural centre with art, shopping and immersive experiences
A modern marvel set in the creative centre of New York City, Hell's Kitchen. Light and airy rooms have B&W wall photos, magnificent views of Manhattan or the Hudson River and spacious bathrooms with deep-soaking tubs. Enjoy handcrafted cocktails on the roof terrace and farm-to-table fare at PRINT. See More
Equinox Hotel New York 212 rooms from £589Spa breaks - Aimed to accelerate recovery. Expect tailored treatments, an indoor salt water pool, hot and cold plunge pools, and E.scape PodsActive Holiday - Named as 'New York's fittest hotel' this luxury stay offers a lifestyle experience with fitness and wellness at the heart of itSights nearby - Climb up the spiral staircase (an art installation) in Hudson YardsRestaurant - Electric Lemon serves clean, seasonal, American cuisineRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
A luxury stay offering cutting edge design and a wellness philosophy. Expect to leave here fitter than you arrived. Fitness plans are personalised and the spa is framed around recuperation. Meanwhile, minimalist rooms offer plenty of comfort. Dine (healthily) at the chic restaurant. A unique stay. See More
Refinery Hotel New York 197 rooms from £324City Style - A fashionable hotel in the heart of the Garment District- boasting a jazz bar, buzzy restaurant and chic interiorsGreat walks - You are just moments from the lovely Bryant ParkRomantic - Good for couples.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
A fabulous luxury hotel in a former hat factory, in New York's Garment District. Plush rooms boast high ceilings, hardwood floors, contemporary artworks and some offer views of the Empire State Building. The industrial conversion vibe is mixed with a suave contemporary flare to great effect. See More
Moxy NYC Times Square New York 612 rooms from £109Local exploring - A New York minute from everywhere you want to be: the Theater District, Garment District, 5th Avenue shopping and Hudson YardsCity Style - Sip on artisan cocktails whilst gazing at the skyline at THE best rooftop bar in the whole of ManhattanHotel Entertainment - Magic hour has an "urban amusement park” concept, nightly live DJs and epic skyline viewsValue chic - Contemporary and stylish rooms in a prime location at an affordable price
A lively and social boutique hotel just steps from Times Square. Contemporary rooms are compact yet well designed with epic city views. Relish the sunset and savour a cocktail at Magic Hour, the largest all-season, indoor/outdoor rooftop bar in NYC with its own mini amusement park. Manhattan chic. See More
The Chatwal New York (Midtown Manhattan) 76 rooms from £398Romantic Break - Impressive and decedant, the plush rooms and unparalleled services lend themselves to a romantic stayFoodies - Gourmet dining at The Lambs Club, a historic culinary landmark set in gilded deco period surroundsCity Style - One of the city's most beloved and eminent establishments, in the heart of stylish ManhattanDesigner - The hotel features a collection of specially designed suites by Thierry Despont
This historic 44th St. hotel, built in 1905, continues to impress and enchant with art-deco design blending seamlessly with modern conveniences. Equipped with an excellent restaurant, spa and sauna, and a personal butler as standard, the Chatwal offers a personal and bespoke service for every guest. See More
Lotte New York Palace New York (Midtown East) 909 rooms from £267Weddings - 900 bedrooms, a courtyard on Madison Avenue and neo-Italian Renaissance architecture make this perfect for big society weddingsCity Style - The ornate vaulted Gold Room - a historic New York dining institution - is worth the visit aloneSights nearby - Rockefeller Center & St Patrick's Cathedral are around the corner; make sure to climb the 'top of the rock' to admire the viewSpa - ILA Only Spa is the first in the US, offering stress relieving treatments in its rooms with sound healing experiencesRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Glitzy, glamorous & Gilded-Age at its very best. This classic luxury city hotel is comprised of a 19th-century mansion & contemporary tower. The ultimate blend of old and new, rooms are slick in the new wing and decorative in the historic. Channel your inner Gossip Girl on a special weekend away. See More
Hotel 48Lex New York 116 rooms from £149Foodies - A selection of unique culinary experiences steps from the door, from NYC steakhouses to upscale Mexican, Italian and seafoodLocal exploring - Experience unrivaled access to the very best of NY, from world-class businesses, landmarks, shopping, art, theatre etcRestaurant - Lexington Brass serves progressive farm-to-table cuisine. Using only the finest, locally sourced ingredientsSights nearby - Visit the iconic landmarks of Times Square and the Empire State Building less than 15 minutes walk away
A boutique luxury hotel set in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. Sleek modern rooms have local artworks and floor-to-ceiling windows showcasing super Manhattan vistas. Refined art, exemplary elegance, craft cocktails, organic food and more provide an atmosphere of relaxed sophistication. See More
The Time New York New York 193 rooms from £182City Style - In the heart of New York, the city that never sleeps, guests are just a minute away from all the funLocal exploring - Catch a Broadway show, sample international cuisine or admire world-famous attractionsSights nearby - Visit iconic NY landmarks like Times Square and Rockefeller Plaza, less than a 10 minute walk awayRestaurant - Serafina, located on the first floor, is a charming dining spot with its heart in Northern Italy
A hidden gem nestled in the Theater District, just steps from Times Square. Spacious, stylish and contemporary rooms have dusky pastels and slate bathrooms reimagined as wetrooms with rainfall showers. Intriguing geometric artwork; a chic lounge and bar; this hotel is full of surprises. See More
Baccarat Hotel New York 114 rooms from £679Local exploring - Set just across from the MoMA this hotel is located in the heart of Midtown with numerous sights within walking distanceCity Style - About as stylish as it gets, this design hotel is the height of sophisticationSights nearby - The Rockefeller Center and Times Square are both within walking distanceSwimming Pool - Huge heated indoor pool surrounded by cabanas for a Cote d'Azur vibe
A swanky New York establishment in the heart of Midtown. Enormous rooms are all white on white style with indulgent marble bathrooms. Complete with a fine-dining restaurant and hip cocktail bar as well as the obligatory spa and indoor pool, it may not be cheap but it's certainly worth the price. See More