Search the best hotels in Portsmouth NH
About Portsmouth NH
New Hampshire's Portsmouth is a beautiful historic city set alongside the Piscataqua River with a youthful energy. The centre of the city is filled with impressive colonial 18th century houses set along tree-lined streets while the sea still fuels its economy with a working port now positioned just over the river in Maine. The city has seen a recent surge in high-tech companies while the quality of restaurants and bars are in-line with any larger metropolis. The best hotels in Portsmouth NH are reflective of the city with pretty historic exteriors opening into smart contemporary spaces.
As the oldest city in New Hampshire and the second oldest city in the United States, it comes as no surprise that there are plenty of cultural attractions here. The Strawbery Banke Museum is a good place to start. Sprawling across 10-acres the museum is made up of four different houses that document the history of the city's growth. These are not the only preserved houses for visiting, in fact, there are a number of mansions across the city worthy of a look-in including Rundlet-May House, Moffatt Lad House and Warner House which is also home to the oldest painted murals in North America.
Prescott Park runs alongside the Piscataqua River and is a beautiful place for a stroll. While for more spectacular scenery a cruise of Portsmouth harbour is a must to enjoy the views of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse and Fort Constitution. For a real sense of the city today a stroll along Market Street to Market Square is where all the best boutiques, restaurants and cafes can be found.
What not to miss:
- Wander through the city centre and admire the grand 18th century houses.
- Visit Strawbery Banke Museum for an insight into the city's past.
- Stop by Rundlet-May House, Moffatt Lad House and Warner House all showcasing their original design.
- Take a stroll through the beautiful Prescott Park.
- Enjoy the views of the city on a cruise through Portsmouth Harbor.
The best places to stay in Portsmouth NH
- The Hotel Portsmouth is a beautiful Queen Ann building, masterfully restored, in the heart of Portsmouth. The sharp interiors are modern and indulgent while nodding to the building's rich history. An excellent breakfast is served each morning and helpful staff will guide you to the best dinner spots.
- Wentworth by the Sea is a stalwart landmark of the New Hampshire coast, this gleaming white and splendid hotel has stood the test of time to become a paragon of hospitality. Interiors are classic and traditional with floral patterns, neutral colours and panoramic sea views. Complete with a restaurant, pool, spa, gym, golf, marina and bar.
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer something a little more private then we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- Fly to either Manchester, Portland or Boston all of which are about an hour's drive from Portsmouth NH. Train services run to Dover from where there is a bus service.
- The best time to visit is in the summer months June-August when temperatures range between 20 - 28 degrees. The winter months can get very cold with temperatures dipping below freezing so if you plan to travel in these months come prepared.
- If you would like the freedom of your own car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure where to book?
Best Hotels in Portsmouth NH
The Hotel Portsmouth - Downtown 32 rooms from AU$209Portsmouth NH
A beautiful Queen Ann building, masterfully restored, in the heart of Portsmouth. The sharp interiors are modern and indulgent while nodding to the building's rich history. An excellent breakfast is served each morning and helpful staff will guide you to the best dinner spots. Warm and welcoming.Value chic - An historic and lively hotel offering vibrant interiors, luxorious bedding and a downtown location at a very reasonable priceGreat walks - The stunning Prescott Park is just a five minute walk away, wander the ten plus acres of waterfront parklandsSights nearby - Centrally located within walking distance of Portsmouth's best bars, restaurants and historic sitesRomantic - Good for couples.
Wentworth by the Sea 161 rooms from AU$363Portsmouth NH
A stalwart landmark of the New Hampshire coast, this gleaming white and splendid hotel has stood the test of time to become a paragon of hospitality. Interiors are classic and traditional with floral patterns, neutral colours and panoramic sea views. Restaurant, pool, spa, gym, golf, marina, bar.Landmark - Known as the "Grand Dame by the Sea", this hotel is a beloved jewel on the New Hampshire coast.Spa - The coast inspired the spa, a tranquil sanctuary dedicated to health and wellbeing.Sailing - Guests enjoy access to the privately-operated Wentworth by the Sea Marina.Traditional - A traditional eye for interiors creates a cosy space for relaxation.